Good, Scary Movie Suggestions?

Started by LostInTheMist, August 25, 2019, 01:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTheMist

I don't think this needs to be in the adults chat section, but if it should be, I apologize.

I'm looking for a movie. I'm on my own (save for the Dog) in a rather large house that is old and creaky at night. One of my favorite things to do in this situation is watch a scary movie. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with this, since it's not a genre I usually explore.

In terms of scary, I'm looking for something tense without a whole lot of cheap jump-scare tactics, and not a huge amount of violence (or, at least where violence doesn't substitute for the scare factor.)

A good example is "Alien" or "Aliens", both movies I watched for the first time on my own in this house in the middle of the night. Both totally different in tone, but both with good, scary moments. I'm looking for something along the line of either of those, sci-fi being a preference, but something full of tension, where most of the fear is derived from the situation, and the threat of a gruesome death, rather than seeing the actual gruesome death. (I've seen "Life", just for reference, since that seems to be the suggestion that comes up.) I've also seen "A Quiet Place".

Anyway, since, like I said, I have very little experience seeking this sort of movie out, I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have five more nights here, so I may make use of multiple suggestions.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: The muse is strong in this one. Doing well at the moment. Posts should be relatively quick to receive replies.

Oniya

John Carpenter's 'The Thing' has a few jump scares, but relies mostly on the 'not knowing' and the Antarctic setting for its fear factor.

Poking through related movies, I stumbled on 'As Above, So Below', which isn't sci-fi, but more 'present day', with horror elements, but apparently only a few jump scares.  Catacombs of Paris should be a nicely tense atmosphere.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LostInTheMist

By random chance I watched "The Thing" just a few days ago. My Dad is a fan of monster movies and had recorded a handful of them. That was one I hadn't seen.

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: The muse is strong in this one. Doing well at the moment. Posts should be relatively quick to receive replies.

Oniya

Another one that I recall had good atmospherics (although there is a bit of gore) is 'Nightflyers' (The 1987 film, not the 2018 Netflix series), based somewhat on the book by G.R.R. Martin.  Michael des Barres plays a very convincing nut-job.  Catherine Mary Stewart is the heroine, and Michael Praed is the ship's enigmatic captain.

Team of researchers in search of an extra-solar intelligence encounter a malevolent entity within their very midst.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

LostInTheMist

Both your suggestions definitely sound interesting. Thank you.

(Nightflyers was a little hard to find. Netflix obviously doesn't want people watching the movie instead of the tv show. It wasn't on Amazon Prime, or OnDemand, but it's available for free on YouTube, and thankfully, the tv does have the YouTube app.)

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Jag

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. While a lot of old black and white films are considered rather cheesy on an acting scale by today's standards...I still love them.

While it might be old and silent, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is always worth looking into.

What can I say? I love the black and white movies. While I love the 1986 remake and think it's absolutely amazing, the original Little Shop of Horrors is fantastic and greatly looked due to it's musical remake. Though it is more of a comedy than a full on horror.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

LostInTheMist

I've seen three versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and liked all three of them, though I think the Black and White is the more terrifying one.

I've heard of The Cabinet of Dr, Caligari, and it looks like I could rent it from Amazon Prime or get it for free in a different app, but I'm willing to pay a little bit of money to avoid commercial interruptions, especially given what I'm seeking. (Nothing ruins tension more than a tampon ad in the middle of your movie.)

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Jag

If you're good with the black and white (and some silent), I got a whole list. >.<

Them!
The Uninvited (one of the first movies to have ghosts as actual sources of threat)
13 Ghosts
Cat People (cited as being one of the first real 'jump scare' movies...know that's not what you're looking for, but sometimes seeing where it came from can be interesting)
The Innocents (creepy, weird children)
Dementia 13
Freaks (still banned in a few places...AHS: Freak Show heavily pulled inspiration from this)
Eyes Without a Face (might be more graphic than you're looking for)
Carnival of Souls

^__^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Ooh!  Since we're talking black-and-whites, 'M' was nicely creepy.  You'll never think of Peer Gynt the same way again.

Mathim

Dagon was a pretty good one, H.P. Lovecraft's stories translate really well into film for the most part. The Re-Animator Trilogy is really good for the most part, too.

Someone already mentioned The Thing but I would like to go a step further and recommend the entire Apocalypse Trilogy from John Carpenter. Prince of Darkness was a really great one (can't understand why it got such lousy reviews) full of possession, cryptic dreams, pseudo-time travel, with a real feeling of encroaching claustrophobia as it nears its conclusion. Also, In the Mouth of Madness is a great one if you're into having a real mind-fuck with your story.

Other than that, another underrated and underappreciated one I'd recommend is Deep Rising.

If you're looking for a slasher flick, I'm going to go with The Midnight Meat Train. Really great action sequences in that one and some very creative cinematography and a totally shocking twist at the end.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Demeverett

"The Orphanage" (2007). Great horror without many jump scares or violence.

Mathim

Quote from: LostInTheMist on August 25, 2019, 01:32:59 PM
I don't think this needs to be in the adults chat section, but if it should be, I apologize.

I'm looking for a movie. I'm on my own (save for the Dog) in a rather large house that is old and creaky at night. One of my favorite things to do in this situation is watch a scary movie. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with this, since it's not a genre I usually explore.

In terms of scary, I'm looking for something tense without a whole lot of cheap jump-scare tactics, and not a huge amount of violence (or, at least where violence doesn't substitute for the scare factor.)

A good example is "Alien" or "Aliens", both movies I watched for the first time on my own in this house in the middle of the night. Both totally different in tone, but both with good, scary moments. I'm looking for something along the line of either of those, sci-fi being a preference, but something full of tension, where most of the fear is derived from the situation, and the threat of a gruesome death, rather than seeing the actual gruesome death. (I've seen "Life", just for reference, since that seems to be the suggestion that comes up.) I've also seen "A Quiet Place".

Anyway, since, like I said, I have very little experience seeking this sort of movie out, I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have five more nights here, so I may make use of multiple suggestions.

I should have read this more thoroughly before responding last time.

In that case, I'd recommend Dog Soldiers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Nico

Shutter Island

Depends on your definition of 'scary' but this one is one of my favourites because it has this quiet, unobtrusive kind of scary. It's a psychological thriller with this neo-noir feel to it. There are no real jump-scare moments in this movie, instead, the horror is rather subtle and comes unexpected now and then.

Mathim

Quote from: Nico on August 28, 2019, 12:20:30 AM
Shutter Island

Depends on your definition of 'scary' but this one is one of my favourites because it has this quiet, unobtrusive kind of scary. It's a psychological thriller with this neo-noir feel to it. There are no real jump-scare moments in this movie, instead, the horror is rather subtle and comes unexpected now and then.

Too bad A Cure for Wellness tried to piggyback on that one's concept and royally screwed it up. It's fairly decent when you're unsure of what's really going on but once you find out, and see the resolution to the whole thing, you feel like giving the director a big middle finger.

Rinzler

If you're into the threat of something unseen, I can recommend The Mothman Prophecies. I saw this long ago and was struck by its truly unsettling atmosphere. Definitely good stuff for watching alone in an old and creaky house - if by 'good' you mean liable to leave you jumping at any unusual noise outside the place.

Nico

Quote from: DeMalachine on August 29, 2019, 09:21:22 AM
If you're into the threat of something unseen, I can recommend The Mothman Prophecies.
Yep! That's also a really good one!

Mathim

Anyone see Train to Busan? Hands-down the best zombie movie of the last 5 years.

Demeverett

Yea, Train to Busan was surprisingly good. I think the sequel is on the way.

Mathim

Quote from: Demeverett on August 29, 2019, 05:25:23 PM
Yea, Train to Busan was surprisingly good. I think the sequel is on the way.

Wasn't a surprise to me, that trailer was AMAZING, I had totally bought into it from just that alone and wasn't disappointed.

If you want something epic, not necessarily horror but zombie themed, the Dead Snow/Dead Snow II duology is fantastic. I'd call them the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings of zombie movies.

RedRose

Busan is great! That ending  :o

Shutter Island is really good, you have to watch it twice!

HARPER' S ISLAND also. I still wanna know what the stepmother was almost going to say
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Captain Maltese

Hoboy. My kinda thread. 1408, The Dead, Apollo 18, The Last Days On Mars, Outpost, The Bunker, Blair Witch, Deathwatch, Solstice, The Wicker Man (the original, not the remake) - will ten do for starters?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

RedRose

My lil relative found Blair witch 'no scary'. I fear for this generation
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Demeverett

Blair Witch has pretty scary ending. Did you know there is a new video game Blair Witch? I heard the forest in this game is the best. 

RedRose

Captain Maltese

Blair Witch is in the 'scary' category but I'm mostly interested in the group members and their interaction. The director nailed the maturity level and yet didn't go 100% predictable on the character types. Other scary movies for that age group automatically comes up with cliches like the slut, the book owl, the nerd, the jock.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

RedRose

Oh that's true, and that's the problem with number 2

Captain Maltese

I have number two as well. It has some qualities but it would have been better if what little link there is to the first movie had been completely broken so it had stood on its own. Anyone wanting more of what the 1 has to offer, is bound to be disappointed.

Just to add a few more: Mindhunters, Copycat, and Zodiac. These are all about chasing murderers and they have the scary part down pat. Mindhunters have the best plot, Copycat has Sigourney Weaver, and Zodiac is directly based on a real case. It seems logical to add Silence Of The Lambs which is pretty dated - oh noes, a female investigator, how novel - but Anthony Hopkins is at his most nerve racking.

Oniya

Having read about the actual Zodiac case - going to give that one a nod without having seen it.

Mathim

They're Watching is a pretty suspenseful one with some interesting twists at the end. It's kind of a Blair Witch sort of found-footage thing (shot more sharply and professionally).

Just saw It Chapter 2, DAMN. Very worthy follow-up to the masterful first one.

Niikkiiii

I watched Nails on Netflix and it scared the shit out of me. Some of it is eerily accurate.
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall."

SORRY FOR DELAY CATCHING UP NOW AAAA

Mathim

I saw one on Netflix a couple months ago called Await Further Instructions. Although it revolves around one of my favorite themes (the effects of groupthink among a paranoid group of people), I wasn't that impressed, but it was a good setup that a more competent film crew could have made into something great. It's about a family during the holidays who suddenly and inexplicably find themselves trapped inside the house with all communication cut off, save for the television which gives cryptic instructions. Order breaks down as expected, but ultimately I felt it wasn't that well written (some of the characters go way off the deep end way too quickly and extremely to be believable). The actual situation that was happening to them which is revealed in the end was quite fascinating and I would like to see it done with a better cast and better director who could weed out some of the imperfect characterization. But if you are like me and you love things reminiscent of that episode of Doctor Who, 'Midnight', you might enjoy it.

Niikkiiii

Quote from: Mathim on September 07, 2019, 08:20:59 PM
I saw one on Netflix a couple months ago called Await Further Instructions. Although it revolves around one of my favorite themes (the effects of groupthink among a paranoid group of people), I wasn't that impressed, but it was a good setup that a more competent film crew could have made into something great. It's about a family during the holidays who suddenly and inexplicably find themselves trapped inside the house with all communication cut off, save for the television which gives cryptic instructions. Order breaks down as expected, but ultimately I felt it wasn't that well written (some of the characters go way off the deep end way too quickly and extremely to be believable). The actual situation that was happening to them which is revealed in the end was quite fascinating and I would like to see it done with a better cast and better director who could weed out some of the imperfect characterization. But if you are like me and you love things reminiscent of that episode of Doctor Who, 'Midnight', you might enjoy it.

I second this movie.
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall."

SORRY FOR DELAY CATCHING UP NOW AAAA

RedRose

Mathim

A pretty good exploitation film with some horrific themes but not necessarily a horror film in and of itself is Cannibal Holocaust. I love the social commentary of it, and it was well shot and written despite its nature and being banned in many countries. Should have bought it at that place before they closed down when I had the chance.

wander

^ Very good movie. Watched it in Uni when I was first going through my rebellion against censorship kick.

I'm going to recommend something a little different, as it's not a horror perse, though it does land in 'psychological horror' territory and is excellent in generating a sense of dread.

I'm gonna say Jacob's Ladder (1990). It's one of my favourite films, excellently shot, pulls you in to the rabbit hole and was literally the inspiration for Silent Hill, seen more in the videogame Silent Hill 2 in my opinion.

Can't say much on it without spoiling the twist ending (I highly recommend going into this film completely blind btw), though essentially it follows the character of Jacob having returned from his time at Vietnam, trying to live his life after the death of his son. He's started to see visions of demonic monsters haunting him, is it in his head or is there something bigger going on? You'll have to watch to find out.

Mathim

I wish they would adapt more H.P. Lovecraft stories into movies. From Beyond is a pretty creepy one, though I think the premise from the book worked better than the movie. But at least it had the guy from the original Dawn of the Dead in it.

Oniya

Quote from: wander on September 15, 2019, 02:09:50 PM
^ Very good movie. Watched it in Uni when I was first going through my rebellion against censorship kick.

I'm going to recommend something a little different, as it's not a horror perse, though it does land in 'psychological horror' territory and is excellent in generating a sense of dread.

I'm gonna say Jacob's Ladder (1990). It's one of my favourite films, excellently shot, pulls you in to the rabbit hole and was literally the inspiration for Silent Hill, seen more in the videogame Silent Hill 2 in my opinion.

Can't say much on it without spoiling the twist ending (I highly recommend going into this film completely blind btw), though essentially it follows the character of Jacob having returned from his time at Vietnam, trying to live his life after the death of his son. He's started to see visions of demonic monsters haunting him, is it in his head or is there something bigger going on? You'll have to watch to find out.

I was trying to remember if that one hit the 'gore' buttons too hard.  It is a really good movie, in any event.

Mathim

Oh! I can't believe I forgot about this one until now! I guess 'cause it's more of a cult classic than a real horror movie but I liked it a lot and I wish they'd remake it with modern SFX and better actors. Anyone heard of The Stuff?

Avernale

I think I've heard of The Stuff.  It's like The Blob, except it's edible, right?

Oniya

'Are you eating it?  Or is it eating you?'

Mathim

Quote from: Avernale on September 15, 2019, 10:35:48 PM
I think I've heard of The Stuff.  It's like The Blob, except it's edible, right?

Well, edible in the sense that you won't die immediately but it'll take over your body like the worms from Night of the Creeps.

Inkidu

Trying to come up with something interesting that doesn't dip into the classic standards, but it kind of depends on if you like the body horror subgenre so it might not be what you're looking for, is Splinter. It's got gore in it, but I mean like I said, body horror, I remember hitting on the themes of paranoia and isolation. It does take influences from The Thing but kind of brings it down to something a little more grounded.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

That's the one with the parasite, right? It was okay.

Scourge is one similar to that, although it was more of something that people didn't even realize was inside them until it was about to let them die and find another host to jump into.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on September 16, 2019, 09:07:45 PM
That's the one with the parasite, right? It was okay.

Scourge is one similar to that, although it was more of something that people didn't even realize was inside them until it was about to let them die and find another host to jump into.
If you like The Thing and want more of it without watching The Thing (Reboot/Pre-Sequel).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

I know the production company The Asylum is 99% awful, but they made one a couple of years ago that actually wasn't as bad as their usual quality called Zoombies. Basically some kind of virus turns the animals at this semi-isolated zoo into zombie animals and becomes like Jurassic Park on steroids.

JessicaHouse

Try the Irish horror film "The Citadel."

Love And Submission

I came here with handful recommendations but then I rewatched the trailer for Man Bites Dog so go watch Man  Bites Dog.

I wouldn't say it's a traditional horror movie but it is a movie about a serial killer and it might be the greatest serial killer film ever made. Even the trailer is amazing. The only reason I'm hesitant to show the trailer is that it gives away a bit too much of the movie.

Also, Copycat was terrible.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

wander

Quote from: Love And Submission on September 18, 2019, 05:10:42 PM
I came here with handful recommendations but then I rewatched the trailer for Man Bites Dog so go watch Man  Bites Dog.

I wouldn't say it's a traditional horror movie but it is a movie about a serial killer and it might be the greatest serial killer film ever made. Even the trailer is amazing. The only reason I'm hesitant to show the trailer is that it gives away a bit too much of the movie.

I've seen Man Bites Dog, I found it like a comedy myself, though I have a dark gallows sense of humour. Special shoutouts to the scene with the old lady and the scene where the river gets drained. I've purposely left it vague what those could entail without seeing the movie itself. Great film, not one I'd watch over and over, though I enjoyed myself.

Mathim

Quote from: Love And Submission on September 18, 2019, 05:10:42 PM

Also, Copycat was terrible.

Hell yes! That scene when he scares the shit out of that old lady out of nowhere and just leaves her to die without her medication while she's having a heart attack...

Hintoki

Quote from: Mathim on August 29, 2019, 05:19:30 PM
Anyone see Train to Busan? Hands-down the best zombie movie of the last 5 years.

Train to Busan was good! If I had to nitpick, I didn't like that moment where
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
the dad was turning into a zombie... felt really cheesy and melodramatic, which is what a lot of Korean films do.

Gotta mention Hereditary whenever someone asks for a good scary movie. I think it's impressed me the most of recent memory. Toni Collette was amazing in it.

Also, I really liked Eyes of My Mother:

I think the latter might be on Netflix or Prime... Both movies have brief gory moments, but I loved both of them.

wander

Let the Right One In, either the original vampire flick or the US remake with lil Chloe Moretz, I haven't seen mentioned. Not the most watchable when compared to some classics like Alien, Evil Dead, The Exorcist or The Fly (Jeff Goldblum version), though it's a pretty unique take on the vampire myth and holds a palpable sense of tension and dread, like it's a horrible nightmare rather than some horror schlock. I find the Chloe Moretz version to be a little easier to watch as it's less unrelentingly grim feeling than the original, though YMMV.

Mathim

I feel like the From Dusk Til Dawn trilogy was pretty solid.

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned yet, 30 Days of Night was probably one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen.

wander

Quote from: Mathim on September 19, 2019, 10:34:12 AM
I feel like the From Dusk Til Dawn trilogy was pretty solid.

Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned yet, 30 Days of Night was probably one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen.

Fuck no, 30 Days of Night was just vampires hissing and gooning at the camera whilst everything was tinted with a blue filter, it was just bad.

Oniya

I saw an interesting concept for a zombie movie while I was looking things up over on IMDB.

Pontypool spends the whole movie (pretty much) in a radio studio, while the zombie situation occurs outside - and it's not your usual type of zombie infection, either.  The infected folks are called 'conversationalists'.  There is a bit of gore, according to the synopsis (which pretty much gives away the whole movie, so read at your own risk.)

Mathim

Quote from: wander on September 19, 2019, 10:57:43 AM
Fuck no, 30 Days of Night was just vampires hissing and gooning at the camera whilst everything was tinted with a blue filter, it was just bad.

What movie were you watching?  ???

I liked Stephen King's The Mist. Haven't watched the series yet but it sounds different than the movie so I'm not sure if it'll be good.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2019, 01:39:55 PM
I saw an interesting concept for a zombie movie while I was looking things up over on IMDB.

Pontypool spends the whole movie (pretty much) in a radio studio, while the zombie situation occurs outside - and it's not your usual type of zombie infection, either.  The infected folks are called 'conversationalists'.  There is a bit of gore, according to the synopsis (which pretty much gives away the whole movie, so read at your own risk.)
I've seen it. It's a pretty low key affair where the mystery of what's causing the zombie outbreak takes front and center. It's worth a watch.

Mathim

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a pretty interesting one. Found footage style about a fictional but very effective and complex serial killer. Like a non-supernatural version of Sinister.

Inkidu

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

If you're looking for a kind of meta-analysis of the slasher-movie genre that isn't shoved up its own butt or totally immersion breaking this is a great movie. So many are, "Look how we can tear this logic down!" and the this one is more like, "Let's examine why these tropes are important and have a kind of open ended conversation about them."

Mathim

Couple of gems from New Zealand:

Deathgasm
Black Sheep

Plenty of comedy to go along with the horror but some AMAZING graphical effects on the gory and inhuman stuff.

Oniya

Okay - here's one that's more psychological in nature.

Spider - which does not (despite the name) involve the 8-legged beasties in any major way.

Memory is an interesting thing - and even more so, when memory is unreliable.

RedPhoenix

I love horror movies!

I think The Ring is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, and the acting in it is phenomenal. I actually think it's better than the Japanese movie it was based on.

I also highly recommend The VVitch. It's so well crafted. Not like a jump out and scare you movie but a lot of tension and sort of like, existential despair.

And of course Cabin in the Woods for real fans of horror movies for all the homage it pays. :)

Candyman I think is one of the best horror movies of its time.

Get Out probably the smartest and best horror movie made in the last ten years or so. Very sort of trope-conscious but doesn't subvert just to subvert, I really loved it.

Goodnight Mommy is just horrifyingly disturbing and tense.

I'm sure there are many more those are the ones that pop into my head!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mathim

Zombieland Double Tap was great. It's got a more serious tone in many ways than the original and the stakes are much higher so it gets a bigger adrenaline rush than the first, too. Strong recommend.

Inkidu

If you're looking for something in the vein of old-style Gothic Horror but with a more modern update, and you don't mind that it goes on for perhaps thirty minutes longer than it needs to A Cure for Wellness is just this great moody piece that doesn't rely on jump scares in the least. It plays all these great games and just sets a scene so well.

RedRose

Quote from: Mathim on September 15, 2019, 08:22:59 PM
I wish they would adapt more H.P. Lovecraft stories into movies. From Beyond is a pretty creepy one, though I think the premise from the book worked better than the movie. But at least it had the guy from the original Dawn of the Dead in it.

Sadly those I've watched were… LACKING. One of them had me laughing instead of cowering in terror  ???

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on October 21, 2019, 10:26:20 PM
If you're looking for something in the vein of old-style Gothic Horror but with a more modern update, and you don't mind that it goes on for perhaps thirty minutes longer than it needs to A Cure for Wellness is just this great moody piece that doesn't rely on jump scares in the least. It plays all these great games and just sets a scene so well.

Strong disagree. The reveal paid off very poorly and made little internal sense in retrospect.

Quote from: RedRose on October 22, 2019, 10:35:28 AM
Sadly those I've watched were… LACKING. One of them had me laughing instead of cowering in terror  ???

Dagon was probably the best one. Although that was more of an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth than the actual story Dagon, which is also something that merits and adaptation. Give me a good adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness, too.