WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLaughingOne

Shrike, yeah, it looks pretty good!

I joke that with the raven guard book my army of shy emos can only become more powerful. Now the last thing the enemy will hear is the cure being played over a set of headphones turned up way to loud and worn around the neck...

(My chemical romance if renegades)
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Hawkwood

I adore the new Shrike model. Except the face. When I finally get him, he's TOTALLY going to be going back to a beakie-helmet. As all good RG should. That, actually, is the only problem I have with trying to fit Primaris into the RG - the helmets just look... wrong :(

TheLaughingOne

In the supplemwnt i read, it said the primaris actually tooknto beaky helms pretty quickly... could just customize a couple up...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Hawkwood

The only concern I have about using oldstyle beaks on new style Marines is that the heads might look a wee bit small. But those Phobos lads - wow.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 26, 2019, 11:33:34 AM
Anyone want to throw some random ideas out at me?

The crew find a derelict vessel. What happened to it? Pirates? Xenos? Chaos? Madness? Mutiny?
Xenos raids on a nearby planet / shipping? Orks or Dark eldar work well for this.
Newly discovered xenos ruins, mechanic um request transport and assistance at the dig. Necrons? Never heard of them.
Inquisitorial request.
They need to pretend to be renegades to rescue someone very important from a known pirate haven. And if they can pick up some loot along the way, all the better.
A space hulk. Some of the vessels at its heart might be older than the Great Crusade. Think of the archeotech.
Pilgrims request transport to another system. They're actually a genestealer cult.

How's that to get started with?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

Good to start, yeah. The big thing that makes it harder to use some of the 'normal' RT plots is the scale - I've integrated stuff inspired by 4X strategy games for building and developing the dynasty's power, making it as much Grand Srategy In SPAAAAACE as the normal 'grimdark Star Trek' that RT campaigns default to. They're either exploring uncharted sexes, responding to procedurally generated random events, or following up on requests given by other Factions that can earn them positive reputation with said faction. It's the third category I want as many options as I can get, so they are forced to choose and prioritize.

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

TheLaughingOne

So... as gift got my friend 2 packs of eldar storm guardians upgrades as he wants a choppy army to balance his shooty guards.

People seem to dump on them.. but dont seem that bad. For a 24 mam squad of aldari blades (reroll failed hits, costs 6 pts) chainswords (add 1 attack, 6pts) powersword (stamdard powersword, 10pts, max 2 per squad) and 2 weapon choices, (flamer for 6, fusion for 14). Seems to me best would be 20 chain swords (40 attacks), 2 power swords, and 2 flamers.

Or for cheapest possible go just for 24 chains and swarm something like a hive of pissed off yellow jackets!
My Ons and Offs!

GolGol

Anyone knows if the World Eaters will be getting a codex of their own just like Thousand Sons?
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

TheLaughingOne

Friend dropped an Ambull upon seeing this bad boy..

contemptor dread with major heavy Autocannons, Heavy Lascannons, plasma cannonades, missile launchers, volkites, and other monsterous boombooms, bangbangs, and pewpews.

He wasnt paying much attention though, didnt know it was a 30k unit rather then main game. Which also makes me sad. Cause just look at that brilliant son of a bitch!

On side note, we also had an idea for our next nerd BBQ.

Started with

And soem talking got us thinking... Why not make a 40k themed feast next NerdBQ? Make food and have it based/themed on 40k food stuffs, like we are going to get a couple bottles of good liquor and print up labels like above for diff regiments and such,
Thus far we have plans for
Smoked Prime Rib roast as Roast Grox
Mashed Potatos as Corpse Starches
smoked cornish game hens as Eldar Biscuits (as seen in first panel of Slut Patrol here: https://i.imgur.com/3QItSBp.png )
Tea Eggs as boiled Ambull eggs
Salad gonna be Catachan Bush trimmings
Brussel Sprouts as Seared Ork Sprouts
and just other such idea stuff!

You guys got any other thoughts and suggestions???
My Ons and Offs!

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Hemingway

After finding my old Tau models in my parents' attic, I decided to get back into 40K. More people play it at my local GW than Age of Sigmar anyway, so it pays to come prepared. ;D

Also, last time I played Tau they were 2 (!!) editions behind the newest armies. It'll be fun playing the overpowered cheese army for once.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sain

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 02, 2020, 05:10:48 PM
Part 5 of Astartes is out.

It's frigging awesome. Just love how ruthless and methodical the astartes are depicted.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

HairyHeretic

GW ought to hire some of these artists and get them working on the media stuff they're going to be doing. Could you imagine getting that level of animation for some of Dan Abnett or ADBs books?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Caiaphas Cain: The Animated Series.

Inkidu

The more I learn about the Emperor of Mankind the more I think humanity's extinguishing would have been preferable. The man was selfish, brutal, a hypocrite, and basically ensured his own worship from the start. Regardless of what he might say to the contrary.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheLaughingOne

eh... one problem is the multitude of writers and no real overarching direction, so everybody goes "EMPEROR IS LIKE THIS!!!" which contradicts everything else..

He was brutal, and in 40k... You kind of have to be. Its not a fluffy world of sunshine and puppies. Unless the fluff is something like asbestos, the sunshine is so intense in UV radiation its like a lasgun shot, and the puppies are fenrisian wolves. The other issue there is he is concerned with HUMANITY rather then humans. if a trillion have to die so the species can live... thats a small price.

As for hypocrisy, if your talking about the warp, again, kinda needed... He is one of the few things (aside from necrons and pariahs) that cant be corrupted by the warp, and he has seen that several of his primarchs were already touched by, or put in situations where they would be vulnerable to its corruption. as for not telling humanity as a whole.. Just imagine how many assholes today would happily sacrifice 2-3 states of people just for some power. Its dumb, but there isnt really any good alternative.

and religion, he is a Human.. But he doesnt totally understand them. He was Born/Created with the knowledge of the warp and gods and all, lots of knowledge, where we ahve to learn and are kinda victim to, in comparison, vastly inferior bodies/systems. he never understood the issues of Faith, Belief, or so forth. In a sense he is very much like a Vulcan, very logical in his approach to things. But just cause it makes sense on paper doesn't mean it will work in reality. ESPECIALLY with how mutable it is with chaos, and all the other unknown factors out there.

He isnt meant as a totally sympathetic character. He is a completely different type of Zealot and Fundamentalist of Science. He wanted to uplift humanity to its next stage, to be something like him, something greater and better, but individuals, cultures, or any of that doesnt matter any more. He watched for some close to 50000 years as humanity failed along fucking things 40000 ways to sunday and decided its time to step up and take direct control.

Aspects of him can be sympathetic, he killed off his compassion for the common man to save the species, he, at least before some of the current rewrites and such, truely did love his Sons the Primarchs.

thats kind of the point. Despite being this overwhelmingly powerful, near omniscient, supreme being... He was still human in ways that count.
My Ons and Offs!

TheGrandAdmiral

I wish I was good with models or have enough money to buy them. I love the lore though.

I need to check the Astartes, for now am watching If the Emperor had a text to speech device.

HairyHeretic

So, apparently we have some big 40k announcement coming in the next few days. Anyone thinking new edition announcement?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

They're still rolling out the Psychic Awakening metaplot books, aren't they? Would they undercut that with announcements of a new edition that'll invalidate all the brand-new material so quickly?

TheGrandAdmiral

By the way is The First Wall by Gav Thorpe out (the Siege of Terra)?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 20, 2020, 12:02:58 PM
They're still rolling out the Psychic Awakening metaplot books, aren't they? Would they undercut that with announcements of a new edition that'll invalidate all the brand-new material so quickly?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how much the rules change.

They can always incorporate the fluff into the new edition after all.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Arkaniel

As far as I understood it, they made the current edition with data sheets that could easily be transferred over to a new edition, without needing to instantly rewrite all codexes.

So a new edition is pretty possible.

The mechanics that worked well at the start of 8th are now so messed up because of some of the codexes and the massive damage output compared to how fragile pretty much everything is. Competitive level gaming is pretty much, get first turn and kill everything, the end. Everything has too few wounds to last. And mass volumes of s4 and especially s5 kills pretty much everything

My competitive level crimson fist list can pretty much put out about 120 s5 damage 2 shots, 20 s4 damage 3 shots, 12 s7 damage 3 shots and about 100 s4 damage 2 shots. All of it hits thanks to Pedro on average. I average on killing 50-70% of the enemy army before it’s even their turn.

And that’s pretty much how it goes for all the top tier competitive army lists. You don’t need tactics anymore. Can’t even use them. If you put something, anything in line of sight of your enemy, it’s pretty much guaranteed to not survive the turn. Armour saves do nothing and most invul saves are 5+ sometimes 4+ which adds nothing to mass volume ap-1 or -2 shots.

Hemingway

So, a new edition was announced today. ;D

Importantly:

Quote from: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/23/the-big-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/The new edition works seamlessly with all existing codexes and Psychic Awakening books, which is particularly important as we still have three more Psychic Awakening books to go! They were all written with the new rules in mind, so you can explore these dark new events knowing all your existing rules will work when the new edition finally arrives.