Legit Font

Started by Missy, May 11, 2015, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

So I'm looking for some fonts for to do a bit of captioning with. I want to find something nice/fancy, but legible/not too old looking.

I did find some stuff but . . . how can I be sure I'm finding a legit free font and not some scam? The one I downloaded came in a zip file and then I it asked me to give administrator perms to move from my downloads folder to GIMPs (my photo-editing program) fonts folder, I don't think it's supposed to do that.

Is there any seggustions/help anyone can give me?

Alternatively if someone knows a legit place to get fonts on the cheap, I'm comfortable paying up to 5USD for it.

The Dark Raven

There are always free font sites that are on the level.  I have always had my computer default to ask for admin rights to add fonts/programs to my computer.  It is pretty standard these days on windows based computers.

I use things like 1001fonts and other sites found when you Google "free fonts"

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Dotley

I've been using Dafont for years and never had any troubles with it  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Missy

Cool, thankyou ladies very much :)

consortium11

The big font sites (dafont, 1001freefonts, 1001fonts etc etc) are all legitimate to the extent that they all host legitimate fonts and are highly unlikely to have any nastiness hidden in them. Most computers have it defaulted to ask for permission when you move something to the C drive so that shouldn't really be a concern as long as you recognise what appears in the dialogue box. Much the same thing will happen if you install a font generally as opposed to keeping it Gimp-specific.

The only real thing to look out for when it comes to fonts is the license they're distributed under and what purpose you intend for it. In general almost all fonts on dafont and the like are free for personal use although specific licenses may require attribution or restrict what purposes they can be used for. If the font is going to be used in a commercial work then you have to dig a little harder for free ones; fontsquirrel specializes in free commercial use fonts but again, you'll want to check the license to see exactly what is allowed.