News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

PETA objects to presidential flyswatting

Started by Vekseid, June 18, 2009, 07:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

If I remember right, horse is eaten in some European countries. There were laws enacted recently (in the last few years) to ban the selling of horses and horsemeat to Europe for consumption. I guess because the horse had a large part of the American historical mystique, it's not good to eat it or sell it for food. Cows and pigs are ok though..  We don't ride or use them like cats and dogs.

Lithos

Horse meat is eaten around here at least, and great meat it is. Horse meat contains 25% less fat, nearly 20% less sodium, double the iron and less cholesterol than high quality beef cuts. When compared to ground beef 25% less fat, 30% less cholesterol and 27% less sodium. Horse is amazing animal, both as companion - and as dish.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Jag

I eat gator...

Meat is meat for the most part.

Most countries that eat dogs and such (and there aren't many of them that do) breed them to be eaten. It's not just random dogs off the street. They still have pet dogs, just like some people have pet pigs and chickens here in America.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Soran

Have no problem eating meat...I've just had burgers!  ;D

National Acrobat

Now PETA wants Phish to change their name to 'Sea Kitten' so as to promote the idea that fish are not food.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090620/NEWS/90619024/PETA-asks-Phish-to-change-name-&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

I think PETA's relevancy is gone at this point. They really have gone off the deep end at this point.

consortium11

PETA were never relevant to begin with. In fact,they're probably slightly less bat-shit insane nowadays after some of their more extreme elements got outed (giving money to lab-bombers etc).

What they do have is a seemingly endless number of concerned housewives, idiotic celebrities and the worst cliches of the "liberal" uni student stereotype willing to give money and time... IIRC they're still the biggest "animal rights" group in the world.

Kurzyk

Quote from: Lithos on June 18, 2009, 08:37:38 AM
Well, that took care of the comedy does of the day. And Mr Obama has nice reflexes, those flies are tricky to catch without swatter :P

Lucky prez.. the bugs down here we can't use a swatter. They're too big. Have to use bowls. Thank goodness for Raid.

Some of these things that crawl out of the bayou are big enough to saddle and ride. heh

Oniya

Quote from: Kurzyk on June 22, 2009, 12:45:53 PM
Lucky prez.. the bugs down here we can't use a swatter. They're too big. Have to use bowls. Thank goodness for Raid.

Some of these things that crawl out of the bayou are big enough to saddle and ride. heh

Palmettos?  Don't forget to mention that those suckers fly too!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lithos

When fly swatter fails, there is always:

There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Kurzyk

Quote from: Oniya on June 22, 2009, 12:50:55 PM
Palmettos?  Don't forget to mention that those suckers fly too!

Gah! I know  :-(

Kurzyk

Nacht

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on June 20, 2009, 10:16:14 AM
. . .dog on a stick, cat on a stick, rat on a stick. . .horse on a stick. . .mmmmmm

Everything is better on a stick! World of Weird - 2008 Olympics Beijing Food Market XD

Yes, peta.. even flies.. if they were big enough :P

Doomsday

Apple of Eris

The sad thing is that PETA actually has a good and worthwhile cause - ending animal cruelty, it's just a shame that they cater to the most extreme elements of their group. *shrug*

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Jag

Quote from: Kurzyk on June 22, 2009, 12:45:53 PM

I thought a roach was going to chase me the other day. It was huge! I've never seen a roach that big before. My mom says they don't get in the house much, but when they do it's almost like the roach alien from Men in Black. >.<

Kurzyk

*laughs* yea I know its scary. They're mean too! Ive seen them chase people before.

Jag

I should send one of those buggers to PETA and let it chase them around and see how they feel about smashing a few insects once in a while. >.<

PaleEnchantress

I don't eat meat very often. (excluding man meat) I believe very strongly in animal rights and love to hear when advancements for humane treatment of animals has occored.

Just about every time I look to PETA in the past few years..... I couldn't believe what they were doing. Having dealt with so many real and horrific animal rights issues it seems they now would like to focus on imaginary ones.

Saving seals in a video game? Protesting fly swatting? Getting irate at any commercial displays of animals even if extra attention is put into ensuring the animal is being treated and handled welll? Attacking cat food companies for using meat in their products?

Show me a cat that eats nothing but steamed Lima beans and i'll show you a cat that is being horribly abused.

PETA seems to be less concerned about animals and more concerned with shocking the public and showing how far they will go to adhere to their principals even if they have no logical application on the issue.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Trieste

There are two words that sum up PETA for me, as far as publicity grabs and laughability.

Sea Kittens.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Roilvn

I love PETA. The are unintelligent at times. I want to set up a counter protest, So that we can have a bar-be-que for them at the end.

Rhapsody

I stopped giving PETA the last shred of credit I'd been dangling their way when they tried to get people to stop fishing and eating fish by renaming them "sea kittens".
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Sel Nar

I stopped Giving PETA any sort of credit for brains when they flatly said 'We'd rather a hundred Million People die of AIDS than see one animal be used to find a cure.'

As a side note; when their co-founder was called out for using Insulin, she claimed that she doesn't count, because ~her~ insulin use was to keep her alive to help animals.

*Fumes and snarls*

Sorry; It's just that when people use Animal Rights as a crutch and an excise to cause Millions of dollars worth of damage, AND lose all common sense, I wonder how long humanity will last if that's an indication of where we'll be going in the future.

(As a second Side note; PETA tried (or is still trying) To set up a criminal charge against a BC man who killed a bear that attacked him. Frankly, I would not screw with a guy that Killed a bear with a stick.)

apocryphan

I hate to offer the contrary opinion here, but I think PETA is a lot smarter than anyone thinks. By making so many absurd and extreme demands, they make their less crazy demands seem more reasonable. By being so shocking and inflammatory, they garner so much attention for their causes its ridiculous. They have a brilliant, brilliant strategy IMO.
If one should be a prey, how much the better to fall before the lion than the wolf...

Nimmy

Put that way, apocryphan, yes, they're geniuses.

It's unfortunate in some aspects that people take their extreme demands so serious. They look like lunatics.