Mass Effect RP (Ceta)

Started by OHWceta, March 11, 2012, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHWceta

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I'm fine with Sacrifice, but destroying the Mass Relays and the Citadel?
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.
http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

WendySlaveGirl

Quote from: Vaulera on March 14, 2012, 07:34:56 PM
Am I the only one who thought that the ending where Shepard knowingly destroys himself and sends the planets into a world without the mass relays was incredibly poetic and meaningful? We all knew that the paragon side would end with him sacrificing his own life, it was supposed to boil down to the impossible hair-pulling decision that defined Shepard in a way no other person in the galaxy could. I dunno, just my opinion, people don't like sad stuff, so I'm pretty sure that is why everyone is so up in arms about a perfectly good ending.

That's not why people are upset Vaulera. Most people figured Shepard had a really good chance to die. They're upset because the ending was very out of character. She, or he, just accepted what the Starchild said at face value despite evidence from my own playthrough that AI and Organics could get along! Heck, right before that mission Tali was telling me how awesome things are with the Geth. Also, destroying the Mass Relays fundamentally changed the galaxy and whether people want to believe it or not doomed many planets which depended on food importation as well as the Quarians and Turians who were in the battle. Using the speeds available in the Codex or non-Mass Effect travel a guy on a forum I post on calculated something like 400 years for the Turians to get home from the battle.

Finally, it has many, many plot holes. The biggest is how did my squad get from Earth to the Normandy? Why would they leave me if they were more or less unharmed as they look in the final video? Why did Shepard not argue? Why does his gun have unlimited ammo? You can literally fire that pistol all day long and don't even have to change clips. Why do tech and biotic powers cease working? What happened to my armor so that I ended up in what looks like my casual uniform? The ending is either A) poorly written and designed or B) a subtle hint, as many people believe, that it was all an indoctrination or dying hallucination.

Finally, if you choose the destroy ending, why do you start breathing while buried under a pile of concrete instead of the space age components you'd believe the wreckage of the Citadel to look like? Also, how were you breathing when you're standing out in space talking to the Starchild?

Cold Heritage

Quote from: OHWceta on March 14, 2012, 07:46:54 PM
I'm fine with Sacrifice, but destroying the Mass Relays and the Citadel?

I don't think we need to do that unless you are particularly attached to that outcome.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

OHWceta

Seeing as the Control ending is the only one they survive in.....I really wasn't overly fond of that ending.  The whole series pretty much leads up to destroying the Reapers, that's the entire purpose of everything everyone went through.
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.

Cold Heritage

I thought they lived in the Green end, too. They just, glow green, lift off, and presumably continue to exist.

OHWceta

I meant the Citadel and Mass Relays. They get destroyed in the Synthesis and Destroy Reaper Endings.

Let's just forge a new ending for ourselves. What about this? http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125

WendySlaveGirl

Quote from: OHWceta on March 14, 2012, 08:11:43 PM
I meant the Citadel and Mass Relays. They get destroyed in the Synthesis and Destroy Reaper Endings.

The Mass Relays get destroyed in all of the endings. The only major difference is the color of the beam that blows them up.

eBadger

Warning!  A spoiler inside!

Seriously!  This will ruin things!  Don't click here unless you're SURE.

Are you really sure?

Describe your sure-ness on a theoretical scale.  Include three examples from your own experience. 

I don't believe you.

Fine, I believe you.  The next click will ruin the surprise.  If that's what you're about, go for it. 

HER HUSBAND IS ALIVE!

What?  That totally spoiled Casablanca for you. 

We'll always have Paris though.

Except the Reapers probably blew it up....

xD I was thinking this thread was getting spoiler-heavy.

OHWceta

Love that ending Karma, it would also very much suit the direction I plan to take this RP

OHWceta

The Official RP Thread is now up: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134583.0

Tarkus and Vladmir are set up, anyone else can post and I'll have NPCs for you to interact with until your recruitment into the squad.

OHWceta

Just so you guys know, I was in the Navy so I'll probably bring in a lot of the slang and at least for the alliance crew bring in a lot of the traditions that are typical on a ship and rank courtesies and such.

Another thing I wanted to bring up in regards to smuttiness. Relationships, flirting, anything goes, crew members can date or flirt (or have sex) with other crew members as long as both members are ok with it. (So if one of your characters wants to end up involved with someone else' character it's ok as long as you both agree to it, actually I'd encourage it, partly because if the LI crosses over from part 1 to part 2, it'd make for good reunion scenes.)

That being said, Raven is available, I kind of want the whole Commander LI thing like in the Mass Effect games. Raya Vos however is not. (I'm only bringing up my commanders to each crew, NPCs and my other characters will express their opinion only if someone shows a romantic interest in them.

On another note, though I listed probable recruitment order, this is NOT set in stone, like if your character is in the same place as the squad is and it's not a 'recruitment mission' I'm not going to say "No, they cant join until I say so!"
I'm not including ALL the missions for the sake of simplicity, as well as avoiding spoilers, but here's how the Mission will pan out in regards to recruitment missions.
Citadel and Arcturus Station, the mission begins, first members are recruited.
MSV Tomahawk, the damaged frieghter were a mysterious signal was sent out to an unknown enemy
Geth
The Team learns their enemy is working with the Geth, they are sent to a colony to prevent an invasion.
ThOne of the colony survivors is a Cerberus opperative and escapes with valuable data, the team Chases them to a Cerberus facility.
New leads surface leading the team to Omega and chasing down a Slaver named Gen Tannik
The Next lead has the Team chasing down a Krogan near Tuchanka

Certain characters are tied to certain plot points but most of you can jump in at any time to join the squad. As I said before, you dont have to wait around until the plot point where your character joins the squad, I'll make use of NPCs so you wont get too bored, so just jump in when ready.

RedEve

What should the characters do until they are recruited?

Do I post from AVA's perspective as a Cerberus cyborg until she is recruited/reprogrammed by the Alliance?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

OHWceta

Yeah, we can go with her time with Cerberus until she gets retrieved by the Alliance

Cold Heritage

I'm confused as to why Frank needs to ask Vladimir's rank. Wouldn't Vladimir's uniform have like a rank insignia on it?

OHWceta

Because of Rank related formalities. An oversight on his part not revealing his own Rank, since Vladimir didnt ask him he didnt respond back before leaving.

Cold Heritage

So should I drop out since I wasn't in the US Navy? I just don't really get what's going on and don't want to screw things up because I'm not going to get the jargon, and I'm sort of getting the feeling I'm probably going to have my character do something that he shouldn't because I don't have the knowledge the character should.

OHWceta

No, Marines work with Navy and a good portion of them dont understand certain things Navy Related. The Navy Jargon is more like Easter Eggs for Military people if anyone else is former military. Otherwise it's just me being detailed in my posts.

Cold Heritage

Okay. If I do something that is grossly out of place, would it be possible you could drop me a line in whatever thread and give me a chance to edit? I've never really seen military behaviour outside fiction, and that's obviously gonna be pretty different from the real deal, even before you factor in the sci-fi elements of Mass Effect. Don't want to face court martial by accident.

Vaulera

In the future, I imagine navy and marines would only be separated by a few fine lines, space being the last frontier, but for the sake of those who don't understand the lingo completely, clarification when needed would be much appreciated.

P.S. I don't trust the dude who made the alternate endings on the basis that he spelled harbinger, harbringer.

eBadger

Interesting...I'd imagine the difference between those who spend their time on dirt and others who rarely leave a sterile metal coffin to see the enemy would be even more vast than now. 

I'm former USMC, and not seeing anything too complex with the knowledge.  I was actually surprised at the rank comment too; I assumed he was in civilian garb - general rankings are usually pretty easy to decipher, even if you don't know the name.  metal=officer, more stripes=higher rank, if you don't see the insignia much it probably outranks you.   

Naval jargon is pretty easy to google; here's a good source for starters: http://www.usmchangout.com/usmc/facts/jarheadjargon.htm

OHWceta

Well, it,s the closest thing we got to a more favorable ending fitting the RP

Mass Effect did pretty good with the military stuff, you might want to google military ranks but that,s about it, you wont get court martialed for calling the bulkhead a walor the deck the floor.

Simply, all enlisted military salute officers, lower ranking officers salute superior officers. Salutes are given when a higher ranking officers dismiss their subordinates, or on a military base when a higher ranking officer walks past a subordinate, they are addressed as sir or ma,am accordingly.

Raven is lax on most of these and really only follows these protocols on Arcturus station.

Navy Jargon:
Bulkhead - Wall
Deck - Floor
Overhead - Ceiling
Head - Bathroom
Scuttlebutt - Water faucet
Port - Left (Of the ship)
Starboard - Right (Of the ship)
Forward - Front (of the ship)
Aft - Rear (of the ship)
Also note, the CO can be called captain regardless of rank

Marine Jargon (i,m not as familiar with.)
Latrine - bathroom
Doc - Medic

Marines are the ground combat troops delivered by the Alliance Navy. The Navy crews the ships and provides mostly support troops.

eBadger

Marine jargon is mostly the same as Navy, traditions being more closely linked to the sea than we are anymore. 

Fun ones to know: 

Butter bar - lowest rank of officer, which have a gold bar as insignia
Utilities - camo uniform
Gun - a cannon, never a personal weapon s/a pistol, rifle, etc.
Mess or chow hall - cafeteria
PT - physical training, a workout
Boot - a new marine fresh out of boot camp
Moto - motivated and full of pep and zip; usually implies they're a boot
Salty - veteran, respected, experienced; one of the highest compliments
Liberty - free time
Field Day - routine cleaning, often done by everyone at the same time
Canc - cancel

"That moto butter bar canc'd our liberty to field day the mess, can you believe it?  We need some salty officer to tell the boot that a waxed floor isn't as important as operating guns."