Exalted: War Manse 13 (Exalted, all welcome, seeking GM/Players)

Started by Lustful Bride, March 05, 2018, 01:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

War Manse 13 was once part of a system of 20 similar facilities spread out through the Western portion of Creation. Each one was hidden but had a tower or other form of structure to act as a signal to other facilities. Together they all worked as an early warning system against invasion by the Raksha. With the West being primarily based around water, and Human habitation being on islands, floating docks, or other creations, it was not nearly as settled and defensible as the North, South, or East. And some of the old Solar Deliberative feared it to be a weak point in their empire. So in secret they set up various manses and similar facilities across the West along the ley lines, hidden with the best skill that even other Exalted would find difficulty locating them.

The last one was completed a year before the Usurpation occurred. Their records were kept relatively secret, aside from those assigned to them and in need-to-know situations. They were not as remembered as other glorious works by the Solar Deliberative, due to there being far greater inventions that outshone a simple beacon and defense system. And with the Usurpation, and the Great Contagion and decades of war and unrest that followed, many of the records about the War Manses and other facilities in the Raksha Warning System were lost.

Even during the Balorian Crusade, when an army of Raksha marched to destroy Creation and return it to primordial chaos, no one found the beacons, and they did not light for the march did not come from the West.

Now, several thousand years later, Creation is a much different place, and those who survived the usurpation and Contagion within the Manses, have mostly died from mechanical failures in the manse or lack of food and resources. The only one still standing is War Manse 13. It is still surviving, people are still born, they still live and still sing praise and hymns to the Unconquered Sun, hoping someone will arrive to relieve them.

But as time moves on, many can see that rescue is not on the way. Even the leader of the Manse sees that all of their work and ways of circumventing their limited space and critically low resources is not going to last. They need new blood, raw materials, manufactured goods, and materials to be able to survive. They have hit their limit and their stores are running dry. So a plan is made, to create a team to head out into Creation itself where they could see what has happened since the traitors tried to take the Manse, and who may aid them in these times.

The War Manse and Surroundings

The main body of the War Manse itself is covered by a watertight adamant roof, under which soil was placed to provide arable land during sieges. The War Manse itself covers the entire 10 mile by 5 mile island, which is artificial in nature. The forbidding walls of the Manse complex are festooned with now inactive defenses, done in the style of the First Age of course. A small distance from the main island is The Tower, a long inactive beacon that was meant to act as a warning system with other similar systems on the other facilities. But it has fallen into disrepair since the Usurpation and occasionally been used as a source of spare parts.

The primary manse complex reaches down into the bedrock of the island, providing industrial facilities, minerals, fresh-water collectors, and air generators. The living quarters spread out under the sea-bed around the manse in a spider-web pattern of bubble-like domes and defense turrets/silos, and this is where the majority of the population live. The living quarters have been expanded somewhat over the years, usually downward. The myriad imperishable domes that rise from the seabed have been gutted and replaced with hydroponic gardens, since light filters down from above. Many of the weapon silos and ammunition stores have remained untouched, as most of the access codes have been lost over time and there have been no enemies to threaten the complex.

The sad truth is, as forbidding as the manse is, none of its deadly weapon systems can be activated without restoring the dragon-line that powered it... it is simply ripe for being breached. The defenders of the complex however, would present far greater difficulty for any would-be invaders, as they are intimately familiar with the maze-like complex and what systems still work.

The Usurpation and Loyalty

The Usurpation was not without incident. A few revolutionaries had infiltrated the War Manse and attempted to seize control, but were stopped and executed by the Dragon-Blood officers there for high treason. In a very public fashion, of course. The Dragon-Bloods quelled the mortal panic with calm and reason, saying that the Deliberative would undoubtedly be coming to the rescue at some point. That was over 1,500 years ago.

The Current State of Affairs.

The Manse is kept at a stable population to not strain the closed system, with somewhere around 5000 people living inside it, with lotteries determining who has the right to bear a child. Occasionally through the years, the Calibration Gate has dumped a newcomer into War Manse 13, bringing new blood. Though no one has been able to use it to get out of the manse and the Gate seems to have a mind of its own.

Society is divided into Clans based on whom of the original 150 Dragon-Bloods a person is descended from, with each clan having a traditional sector of the Manse's extensive underground complex to themselves. A person's full name will tell somebody in War Manse 13 their clan, major house, minor house, and your mother's name, meaning each person has at least five names to call their own.

The seed of the dragons is comparatively thick in War Manse 13, resulting in a high percentage of Terrestrial Exalts compared to most populations. The Dragon-blooded officers chose to breed for numbers, as they were unsure what was going outside and felt numbers would be a safe strategy. They make up approximately 25% of the population.

Many mortals are taught to harness their Essence so that the everyday tools they use for their jobs are as good as those of the finest craftsmen. A great number of agricultural charms were developed over the years as the population increased to increase the bounty of the fields, and new strains of crops developed for bigger yields.

Five hundred years ago, an event changed the power structure of War Manse 13. A farmer Exalted as an Zenith-caste Solar when saving the life of several other farmers during a structural breach. For various reasons and political manuevering, the self-styled Umari Thousand-Hands became the ruler of the War Manse. And has generally improved things to be less brutal and more benevolent.

The people now pray to the Ignis Divine with more devotion than ever, knowing that the god of the sun has not abandoned them, and that with his guidance, they may thrive.

But for all of his work and effort, supplies dwindle, and there are things they just cannot make on their own. There are not enough magical materials, not enough people, not enough of everything. The Manse was original made to survive at least 50 years on its own if need be. But has made it far past the original expectation.

They cannot survive on their own any longer, so the call is put out, for anyone brave enough to take on a mission to head out into Creation, for the first time in almost two thousand years. None of them know what they will encounter, but they cannot fail. Their home depends on them.

Setting info for those unfamiliar with Exalted.:

Official canon History of the setting

The TLDR funny version (Warning: Swearing and a few crewd jokes

This specific scenario was inspired by a wiki page for the exalted wiki itself

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/Darzoni/WarManse13

It is just way too cool not to expand upon and look into. A long lost bunker of Solar Loyalists, led by a solar priest and needing new resources. Not sure how it would be run or who the player characters would be, but its just begged to be turned into a thread.

Gilgameshian

I love Exalted's world but I'll be the first to admit I haven't actually played an Exalted game yet. I have Ex2 and Ex3's core rulebooks and I've read them but I'd still be a noob.

Having said that, if people are okay with putting up with that then I am so down to play some Exalted.
March 2020: Working Retail + Virus Panic = Brain not work so good. Expect slow intermittent replies as sanity slowly drains and is returned.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Gilgameshian on March 06, 2018, 12:55:43 AM
I love Exalted's world but I'll be the first to admit I haven't actually played an Exalted game yet. I have Ex2 and Ex3's core rulebooks and I've read them but I'd still be a noob.

Having said that, if people are okay with putting up with that then I am so down to play some Exalted.

I have only played a pseudo system lite game here on E with a partner. It was a one/one game.

I know for a fact that I am a terrible GM and should not be allowed control. But I feel like this could be a good way for characters and new players to be introduced to the setting and get their feet wet. :P 

Muse

That's a really awesome scenerio, Bride. 

Were you wanting a GM who would run the actual game for you?  (As opposed to freeform.) 

I love both playing and running exalted, and might go either way. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Muse on March 07, 2018, 01:37:17 AM
  That's a really awesome scenerio, Bride. 

Were you wanting a GM who would run the actual game for you?  (As opposed to freeform.) 

I love both playing and running exalted, and might go either way.

I honestly don't know. I just felt an urge to share the idea and polish it up slightly. :P  I just know I shouldn't run it because I am the worst GM ever.

Merdoroli

I also have no experience with Exalted, nor it's background, but this sounds awesome. I have played a lot of DnD 3.5 and a few other systems, and I've glanced at Exalted before and wondered about it, but that's about it. Personally I'm a terrible GM of even systems I know so I'm sure I'd be god-awful as a GM for this. However if this gets going and you find a GM, I'd love to join.

HairyHeretic

It's an interesting idea, but the West was never my favourite region. I always felt it would be a bit too awkward to run around there, compared to say the Scavanger Lands or the other cardinal directions.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Merdoroli on March 08, 2018, 12:06:48 AM
I also have no experience with Exalted, nor it's background, but this sounds awesome. I have played a lot of DnD 3.5 and a few other systems, and I've glanced at Exalted before and wondered about it, but that's about it. Personally I'm a terrible GM of even systems I know so I'm sure I'd be god-awful as a GM for this. However if this gets going and you find a GM, I'd love to join.

It would be fun to have you when the game gets running.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 09, 2018, 07:59:03 AM
It's an interesting idea, but the West was never my favourite region. I always felt it would be a bit too awkward to run around there, compared to say the Scavanger Lands or the other cardinal directions.

Well they won't stay there forever. There are other places they can go with sea routes, maybe even eventually getting ship wrecked on the mainland.

HairyHeretic

From my perspective the manse is the focus of the campaign. Negotiating with the local spirit courts to help expand the underground tunnels, or bring shipwrecked people to the manse, and ensuring they'd integrate rather than try and destroy these anathema worshippers :) . Establish contacts in neighboring islands where you can trade and, in time, recruit. Try to find savants who might be able to help restore systems to working order. Fighting off the attentions of pirates, Lintha, the Realm and the Bodhisattva (or whoever the local Deathlord is)

There's plenty you could do without going too far from the manse.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 09, 2018, 09:25:35 AM
From my perspective the manse is the focus of the campaign. Negotiating with the local spirit courts to help expand the underground tunnels, or bring shipwrecked people to the manse, and ensuring they'd integrate rather than try and destroy these anathema worshippers :) . Establish contacts in neighboring islands where you can trade and, in time, recruit. Try to find savants who might be able to help restore systems to working order. Fighting off the attentions of pirates, Lintha, the Realm and the Bodhisattva (or whoever the local Deathlord is)

There's plenty you could do without going too far from the manse.

This is why I should never GM, because I miss great chances for campaign storylines. All of that is glorious.

HairyHeretic

Exalted is one of my top three settings (along with Scion and L5R), I've run a few games and played in others. Right now my work schedule means I rarely post half the week, and I'm sort of behind in some of my games already.

I think this isn't a bad starting point for a campaign, but it would need to be heavily player driven. The PCs would have a variety of problems to solve and ways to solve them, but they'd need to drive the story along with those choices, rather than just reacting to GM introduced stuff.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

If this is a West Centric game I have a character just for this.

Cynthia Patricia Athamastus former member of the Imperial Merchant Fleet, now Eclipse Caste Solar and inheritor of Grand Admiral Kendik Arkadi's Exaltation.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

HairyHeretic

So, assuming I can get caught up enough on my existing games to consider running this, what do people want from it?

Free-form or system game?

2nd or 3rd ed?

Dragon blooded inhabitants of the manse? Solar's from the outside? A mixture of both?

PC Lunars, Sidereals or ronin Deathknights?

Thoughts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Gilgameshian

I'll admit a preference for playing Solars.

I have 2nd and 3rd edition, doesn't matter which to me though I feel like 3rd is easier to understand? (imo)

Freeform or System works for me.
March 2020: Working Retail + Virus Panic = Brain not work so good. Expect slow intermittent replies as sanity slowly drains and is returned.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Idej on March 09, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
If this is a West Centric game I have a character just for this.

Cynthia Patricia Athamastus former member of the Imperial Merchant Fleet, now Eclipse Caste Solar and inheritor of Grand Admiral Kendik Arkadi's Exaltation.

Cool :)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 10, 2018, 09:32:14 AM
So, assuming I can get caught up enough on my existing games to consider running this, what do people want from it?

2nd or 3rd ed?

Dragon blooded inhabitants of the manse? Solar's from the outside? A mixture of both?

Thoughts?

I am unsure I am in a one/one exalted game and I am unsure what edition it uses as my partner handles the numbers since I am terrible at them :/

I say maybe, System light? A Combo of Dragonblooded and Solars and Lunars from the outside. After that Sidereals and Deathknights and others can be brought in if characters die off.

Merdoroli

2nd or 3rd ed?

Thoughts?

Personally I think I'd prefer a system'd game. I haven't done the Exalted system before but I've wanted to try it for a long time now. With that, I have no edition preference. 2nd or 3rd is all the same to me.

I don't know their in system differences, like what kind of powers exactly each have, but from a lore stand point I think playing a Solar or Dragonblooded both sound interesting. Solar's dealing with people beliefs that they are evil or demonic and such or the Dragonblooded from inside the manse dealing with an outside world that's chnged so very very much.

HairyHeretic

The only problem with a system game is Dragonbloods tend to be weaker than celestial Exalts (Solar's, Lunar's, Deathknights etc), so it can be hard to maintain a fair balance. If any Dragonblood player was OK with that limitation, it's less of an issue.

Also 3rd ed only has rules for Solar's so far. If people want a mixed type game, we're looking 2nd ed, a homebrew rules light or free-form. Free form would be the easiest for a mixed group game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Lost all my 2nd edition books in the move.   So I'd need help if wee do that.

Idej

I only have 2nd edition so I can do mixed groups.  Until 3rd brings more than Solars I'm sticking with 2nd Edition.

AndyZ

2nd or 3rd ed?

Thoughts?

No preferences, but what I play will vary drastically based on the choices there.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Rook Seidhr

I would potentially be interested in a 2e game. In a mixed party, I'd want to play a Solar or Sidereal, but I'd be OK with a DB-only party too.

I will not play in any game with PC Infernals, just so you know.

Idej

Muse

Second ediition using the 2012 Eratta, please.  :)   

Hairy, I'd love it if you'd run this.  I have some thoughts: 

Playing a party wiht mixed celestial (solar, lunar, and sidereal) and terestrial exalted will always lead to a bit of power disparity, but with a good group it doesn't get too bad. 

My first choice for this game would be to focus on dragon blooded form inside the manse.  Supporting caste--such as from the henchmen background--could include god blooded and half caste. 

My second choice would be to include celestial exalted from outside the manse in the story. 

Either way, I would suggest we use something similar to the Outcaste of Looksy character generation for the dragon blooded.  If we're going to be adding celestial to the party, I might also suggest a modest degree of extra experience for the dragon blooded as well, but so long as the celestial were starting level it should be workable without. 

I can't say I'm particularly comfortable with PC infernals either--or abyssals.   

Pumpkin, if we do 2nd edition I'll be happy to render any assitance you like.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

I've been poking this around for a few days, and the idea does appeal.

I'll probably set up a proper players wanted thread in the next couple of days, but I wanted to outline my initial ideas here.

First up, game format .. freeform or 2nd ed. It sounds like 2nd ed is fairly popular, and most people seem to have access to the books. For those that don't, I'm sure Muse will be only too happy to help get characters established :)

Characters .. two groups to choose from.
On one side, the original inhabitants of the Manse. Outcaste dragonbloods, god blooded, sea folk or heroic mortals. I like the idea of having a pool of henchmen around. People could play these as secondary characters or add them to missions as NPCs. That way you could, if you so wanted, have two or even more characters off running different missions in different teams at the one time.

The outsiders. Solars and maybe a single Lunar. Possibly a Sidereal NPC who will be helping to steer these two groups together to start with and pulling the occasional string of Fate to keep them all hidden as long as possible.

Theme of the game. The Manse will be the focus of the game, and the home base. The PCs will have a variety of different missions they can take on to help rebuild this bastion of civilisation and form a base to eventually spread their influence further. There will be threats to face, challenges to overcome and rewards to be gained.

But the players will have to drive the story. You want to get the factory cathedral back up and running? Yeah, that's a great idea. How are you going to go about it? Bargain with spirits for First Age knowledge. Luck across a shipwrecked sailor who tells you of the savant capture by the pirates nearby. Now you have the brains, what about the material? Old stories tell of the other manses in the chain. No one has heard anything of them in centuries. They might be stripped bare .. or they might not. You'll never know til you go and look.

I'll set up a variety of plot ideas and hooks, but I will expect the players to drive the direction of the game.

How does that sound?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

I like this and I can get Cynthia adapted to this and present an idea for approval. :)

I'll start getting her worked on again.

Pumpkin Seeds

HairyHeretic

That's up to yourself. Some people might want to play only a single character, others might want half a dozen :) I would say 1 Exalt, of whatever type you want. Secondary characters of maybe lesser power.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

HairyHeretic

I'd want to refresh myself on 2ND ed character generation first. I'm open to suggestions though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

I don't know much about the system so people might have to be patient with me as we play. :P

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

HairyHeretic

Very likely. I'll want to check with Muse about the rules he was suggesting and I'll confirm specific stuff once the thread proper goes up.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chajesdad

I have a few potential Dragonblooded ideas if this is still open. Nixing the Immaculate faith, how are we running sorcery here below the sea? Have we a number of lost spells? All of these questions are pending whether or not this is still an open concept for new characters.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

Muse

This is very exciting! 

I hope you decide to go with my idea of using Lookshy Character creation for the dragon blooded, with maybe a bit of experience. 

How may I help, Hairy?  :)

HairyHeretic

Yeah, we couldn't use standard DB character gen for this, but I'd want to refresh my memory on the Lookshy rules before deciding on specific changes. Sorcery is another thing I'll need to think on.

If you're good to help with optimising characters and general rules stuff, at least to get started, that would be a big help. I know you're fairly well versed on the revised 2nd ed stuff.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Will be a pleasure. 

Not sure where to start short of fieling questions for all and sundry.  :)

AndyZ

I'll see what all we have for chargen options, but I can very easily see Infinite Sky working for this game.  (Muse knows who that is.)

Idej

I have a Solar almost done.  Would like to have a Sidereal mentor for some guidance and help lol

Chajesdad

Have we accepted the chargen for Lookshy for the Manse DBs?

Muse

HairyHeretic

Yeah, looking at it now.

Characters originating in Lookshy begin with 35 points in Abilities, 13 of which must be distributed among Aspect and Favored Abilities. Again, no Ability may exceed three dots without spending bonus points to do so. Characters born in Lookshy must have a minimum of Archery 2, Linguistics 3, Lore 2, Martial Arts 2, Melee 2, Performance 1, Presence 1, Ride 1, Stealth 1 and War 2.

I'm okay with the abilities, but I'll want to change the required skills around to better reflect their home and how they were raised. This is my provisional thoughts but I'm willing to discuss adding, removing or changing them.

Presence 1 - The DBs are seen as the natural leaders of the Manse
Survival 1 -
Craft 2 - Keeping all the old tech going is everyone's duty, and those best able to do it are expected to shoulder their share, or more if they can.
Lore 2 - Same as the above
Linguistics 1 - Old Realm
Sail - 1

Other changes
Backing - Initially not, as they're isolated. There's no one for them to have the backing of.
Command - Limited to 2.
Resources - 2 . Effectively the place is being run as a military outpost still, so actual wealth is fairly much unused, expect on rare occasions that you might somehow be trading with the outside.

Muse, any suggestions?

I'm still thinking about how best to handle spells. I'm open to ideas if anyone wants to use them though, explaining how they've been able to learn them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

I am thinking of playing an Air aspect DB or a Twilight Solar. Possibly working in the Manse's oxygen system/med center.

Chajesdad

The Linguistics 3 requirement was due to the requirement for Wind-Carried Words Charm. Though making the Old Realm a requirement makes sense.

Idej

Since this based off of the fact that the manse is isolated and stuck in Old Realm ways, learning via the Deliberative ways for Sorcery would be appropriate.  You should find that stuff in the White Treatise.

For those Solar Exalted, that is a tad complicated but basically do what you normally would in a normal game.

Spells, I would say the War Manse has more accessibility in spell knowledge, unless per say you are a Sidereal and the such lol.

I want to be an Eclipse Caste Solar who has a Sidereal mentor, and has the Past Lives Merit of Kendik Arkadi, the Grand Admiral of the Deliberative Navy.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 17, 2018, 09:22:29 AM
I am thinking of playing an Air aspect DB or a Twilight Solar. Possibly working in the Manse's oxygen system/med center.

I was initially toying with the idea of no native Solars in the manse to start with. It gives Solars from the outside a bit more prestige with the Manse inhabitants that way.

Quote from: Chajesdad on March 17, 2018, 10:41:08 AM
     The Linguistics 3 requirement was due to the requirement for Wind-Carried Words Charm. Though making the Old Realm a requirement makes sense.

I'll check if I want to make that charm a requirement later.

Quote from: Idej on March 17, 2018, 10:48:06 AM
Since this based off of the fact that the manse is isolated and stuck in Old Realm ways, learning via the Deliberative ways for Sorcery would be appropriate.  You should find that stuff in the White Treatise.

Cheers, I'll look that over later. I have to head out to run some errands soon.

For those Solar Exalted, that is a tad complicated but basically do what you normally would in a normal game.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Spells, I would say the War Manse has more accessibility in spell knowledge, unless per say you are a Sidereal and the such lol.

Possibly :) Still kicking that one around.

I want to be an Eclipse Caste Solar who has a Sidereal mentor, and has the Past Lives Merit of Kendik Arkadi, the Grand Admiral of the Deliberative Navy.

Sidereal mentor might be tricky ... or might also be a good hook to bring the solars to the Manse in the first place. Let me think on it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

This would also allow such things as the Cult of the Illuminated which was a Gold Faction Sidereal group meant to train Solars into good stewards.  Even if you don't necessarily want to use the Cult of the Illuminated, a Gold Faction Sidereal involved would help in the Yu-Shan aspect of things.  Prevents the Manse from being noticed from Bronze Faction supporters or at least a hopeful.

And like you said, might be helpful to get the Solars there :)

Chajesdad

As a war manse that survived the usurpation relatively intact, it may be 'outside of fate'. There is a quality that allows the manse to not be affected by Fate shaping effects as well as not be noticed by the Loom of Fate.

Idej

True you have me there.

Still think Sidereal involvement would help expedite how the Solars get there.

Chajesdad

Oooh, that would make sense once the manse begins interacting more with the outside world, trading with neighboring communities, or as that community that we have been trading with comes in the interest of someone outside the closed communities.

HairyHeretic

So, what I was thinking was one of the Manse's core systems was the equivalent of the Destiny Interdiction Field, from the Armor of the Unseen Assassin. This kept the manse hidden from the Loom of Fate for centuries. Of course, over time any system will wear out, and this one was no exception.

When the manse showed up, the first to discover it was a Gold Faction sidereal. Investigating the manse he realized what a treasure had found, and managed to repair the Field before anyone realised it had failed, hiding the manse again. Of course, he wouldn't be able to keep in hidden permanently. Sooner or later, the blip on the loom would work it's way through Heaven's bureaucracy to someone who would care about it ... though not in the same way he did. He'd endeavor to keep it hidden as long as he could misdirect the paperwork, and arranged for a small group of Solars (and Lunars maybe) to reach it. From there, they would hopefully he able to use the Manse as the seed of a new Solar Deliberative, and rebuild what was lost .. only this time, better.

Thoughts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

I like that alot tbh :)

Smart idea.

I will have to talk to you about a few things I have in mind for my character since she is Eclipse Caste and all.

Muse

Hmm...  Where to begin: 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 17, 2018, 09:11:55 AM
Characters originating in Lookshy begin with 35 points in Abilities, 13 of which must be distributed among Aspect and Favored Abilities. Again, no Ability may exceed three dots without spending bonus points to do so. Characters born in Lookshy must have a minimum of Archery 2, Linguistics 3, Lore 2, Martial Arts 2, Melee 2, Performance 1, Presence 1, Ride 1, Stealth 1 and War 2.

I'm okay with the abilities, but I'll want to change the required skills around to better reflect their home and how they were raised. This is my provisional thoughts but I'm willing to discuss adding, removing or changing them.

Presence 1 - The DBs are seen as the natural leaders of the Manse
Survival 1 -
Craft 2 - Keeping all the old tech going is everyone's duty, and those best able to do it are expected to shoulder their share, or more if they can.
Lore 2 - Same as the above
Linguistics 1 - Old Realm
Sail - 1

The war requirement should remain--as you said, this is a war manse!  (I need to read more thoroughly.)   Sail might merit a level 2---it covers both mundane sailing ships and most magitech vessels larger than horses. 

Also, seconding what Chajesdad said about Wind Carried Words. 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 17, 2018, 09:11:55 AM
Other changes
Backing - Initially not, as they're isolated. There's no one for them to have the backing of.
Command - Limited to 2.
Resources - 2 . Effectively the place is being run as a military outpost still, so actual wealth is fairly much unused, expect on rare occasions that you might somehow be trading with the outside.

Muse, any suggestions?

I'm still thinking about how best to handle spells. I'm open to ideas if anyone wants to use them though, explaining how they've been able to learn them.

Backing:  War  Manse dragon blooded have an automatic backing level of __ in the Manse's command structure.  No other backing is possible at this time. 
Connections:  This background is initialy limited to aspects of the Manse's goverment and social structure. 

Resources:  I'm kind of conflicted on how to handle resources.  A lot of magitech objects have a resources cost requirement to maintain, for example.  I'm tempted to sugest adapting the Class background from Exalted: The Alchemicals, but I think it might be more apropriate to make use of the Arsenal background.  (And also backing.)  :) 

Muse

Quote from: Idej on March 15, 2018, 07:49:39 AM
Are we allowing merits and flaws from Scroll of Heroes?

I recomend using scroll of heroes for this game--not just the merits and flaws chapter, either!  This book has good rules for desinging mortal and god blooded heroes. 

Defenition: God Blooded
   In Exalted 'god blooded' is a generic term for person who inherited a fraction of the power of a supernatural ancestor.  More specific names as follows: 

Celestial Exalted (Solar/Tainted Solar, Lunar, or Sidereal: Half Caste. 
Demon: Demon Blooded
Ghost: Ghost Blooded or Ghoul
God or Elemental: God Blooded
Raksha/Fair Folk (or Mountain Folk): Changeling

On that topic, I'd like to propose that Uri Thousand-Hands has Essence 6 and a healthy Eliquiy libido.   He has about 50 first generation half-caste children from about 20 diferent lovers living in the manse at any given time.  As his seed is strong enough that some of his power lingers for several genreations, a good 500 or 600 "golden children" stiffen the Manse's forces. 

Half Caste have stronger essece than enlightened mortals--and don't need special training to acess it.  The strongest half caste can even challenge young dragon blooded--as several Dragon Blooded armies found to their dismay during the uspuration.  As such the manse's matchmakers have worked to include Uri's descendents in their ugenics program--and also the few descendents of the manse's few resident gods and elementals. 
   If this is acceptable to you, Hairy, it would allow for god blooded secondary characters native to War Manse Thirteen, most likely working as highly placed subordinates to Player Character dragon blooded. 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 17, 2018, 05:45:25 PM
So, what I was thinking was one of the Manse's core systems was the equivalent of the Destiny Interdiction Field, from the Armor of the Unseen Assassin. This kept the manse hidden from the Loom of Fate for centuries. Of course, over time any system will wear out, and this one was no exception.

When the manse showed up, the first to discover it was a Gold Faction sidereal. Investigating the manse he realized what a treasure had found, and managed to repair the Field before anyone realised it had failed, hiding the manse again. Of course, he wouldn't be able to keep in hidden permanently. Sooner or later, the blip on the loom would work it's way through Heaven's bureaucracy to someone who would care about it ... though not in the same way he did. He'd endeavor to keep it hidden as long as he could misdirect the paperwork, and arranged for a small group of Solars (and Lunars maybe) to reach it. From there, they would hopefully he able to use the Manse as the seed of a new Solar Deliberative, and rebuild what was lost .. only this time, better.

Thoughts?

I like it. It helps explain how a bunch of mortals and dragon bloods kept the manse running. Also possibly why their Gate opens up tossing in new people on occasion. It can no longer open a stable doorway, but the Gold Faction might throw in the right people needed to keep them from having to worry about inbreeding.

Gilgameshian

So would a newly reborn/made Solar be good? Cause I was looking at a Night Caste Solar as a character option.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on March 18, 2018, 06:27:23 AM
  The war requirement should remain--as you said, this is a war manse!  (I need to read more thoroughly.)   

It is, and while the inhabitants may be descended from military forces, they've had centuries for that to get .. if not corrupted, then at least modified. I think 1 is enough.

Sail might merit a level 2---it covers both mundane sailing ships and most magitech vessels larger than horses. 

Also, seconding what Chajesdad said about Wind Carried Words. 

The WCW words I don't mind so much about. Sail 1 I think is sufficient as they've been fairly isolated. Not a lot of ability to practice sailing when you're trying to stay hidden, and the magitech vessels would be gradually drydocked as lack of maintenance rendered them less and less operable, parts from some being taken to keep others running.

Backing:  War  Manse dragon blooded have an automatic backing level of __ in the Manse's command structure.  No other backing is possible at this time. 
Connections:  This background is initialy limited to aspects of the Manse's goverment and social structure. 

1 to 2 in backing probably then.

Resources:  I'm kind of conflicted on how to handle resources.  A lot of magitech objects have a resources cost requirement to maintain, for example.  I'm tempted to sugest adapting the Class background from Exalted: The Alchemicals, but I think it might be more apropriate to make use of the Arsenal background.  (And also backing.)  :)

I know that magitech objects have the resource costs, but that would be for regular characters who are trying to scavange the lost tools and tech to keep their toys running. This place still has that infrastructure, at least in part.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on March 18, 2018, 09:09:41 AM
  I recomend using scroll of heroes for this game--not just the merits and flaws chapter, either!  This book has good rules for desinging mortal and god blooded heroes. 

Defenition: God Blooded
   In Exalted 'god blooded' is a generic term for person who inherited a fraction of the power of a supernatural ancestor.  More specific names as follows: 

Celestial Exalted (Solar/Tainted Solar, Lunar, or Sidereal: Half Caste. 
Demon: Demon Blooded
Ghost: Ghost Blooded or Ghoul
God or Elemental: God Blooded
Raksha/Fair Folk (or Mountain Folk): Changeling

On that topic, I'd like to propose that Uri Thousand-Hands has Essence 6 and a healthy Eliquiy libido.   He has about 50 first generation half-caste children from about 20 diferent lovers living in the manse at any given time.  As his seed is strong enough that some of his power lingers for several genreations, a good 500 or 600 "golden children" stiffen the Manse's forces. 

Half Caste have stronger essece than enlightened mortals--and don't need special training to acess it.  The strongest half caste can even challenge young dragon blooded--as several Dragon Blooded armies found to their dismay during the uspuration.  As such the manse's matchmakers have worked to include Uri's descendents in their ugenics program--and also the few descendents of the manse's few resident gods and elementals. 
   If this is acceptable to you, Hairy, it would allow for god blooded secondary characters native to War Manse Thirteen, most likely working as highly placed subordinates to Player Character dragon blooded.

With a total population of 5000 I think about 50 Dragonblooded would seem a reasonable number and maybe 2-3 times that in half caste / heroic mortals. God blooded and Half Caste would probably work well, the others (demon, ghost and fair folk) .. probably not so much. I'd also go with some sea folk.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Gilgameshian on March 18, 2018, 12:04:31 PM
So would a newly reborn/made Solar be good? Cause I was looking at a Night Caste Solar as a character option.

Yeah, solars are good.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Idej

HairyHeretic

Mostly. Muse, what was the name of that revised book we were using for the last 2nd ed game? Scroll of Errata?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Indeed!  Specificaly the 2012 edition. 

I've started calling the 'edition' exalted 2012.  :)

Muse

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 18, 2018, 07:01:57 PM
With a total population of 5000 I think about 50 Dragonblooded would seem a reasonable number and maybe 2-3 times that in half caste / heroic mortals. God blooded and Half Caste would probably work well, the others (demon, ghost and fair folk) .. probably not so much. I'd also go with some sea folk.

Oh.  :)  I'm good with that.  The seting spoiler we were given sugested that--becasue of the high concnetration of Dragon Blooded int he manse's popualtion, a full 25% of them were exalted. 

Chanticleer

*Quietly wanders off to have a conniption that they snuck Vault 13 into official Exalted lore.*

(But seriously, I might be back, I have to evaluate my available PbP time.)
My current O/os (need work)

Muse

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hairy, I know you prefer to avoid non con scenes.  If a player would enjoy one, I'd be happy to take them over to NCES for a sidebar scene? 

Idej and I have been speaking of wether or not I could RP his Sidereal mentor when he's around. 

What else can I address? 

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 20, 2018, 09:57:37 AM
Yeah, we're still in the preliminaries :)

Nice :). So we got Zenith as leader in manse atm but also we are working a eclipse solar guided to the manse (by sidereal mentor which is played by someone and is from gold faction and aware of the manse and has been dumping men/women through a portal in there).

Can into one DB family trees in manse fit a 'traitor' ancestor one? Speaking of DB who tried pull coup in manse but failed but it had pregnant wife which was unaware of husband's traitorous ideas (and it sort result family bloodline being sort black sheep in manse but tolerated because family specializes on engine repairs). Also family in question have top class first age warstrider (and over years build and maintained armored suit squad), however warstrider AI shut down itself when traitor ancestor tried use it on the coup and AI was solar loyal by programming, however ancestor overdrived AI's control on it's body and so AI sabotaged itself so warstrider shut down (and resulted the ancestor forced to fight regular manner and loosing and on military trial fashion was executed).

Above is the concept but key question is would to war manse be stationed a one (albeit powerful build/designed) warstrider?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on March 20, 2018, 10:47:11 AM
  Hairy, I know you prefer to avoid non con scenes.  If a player would enjoy one, I'd be happy to take them over to NCES for a sidebar scene? 

Idej and I have been speaking of wether or not I could RP his Sidereal mentor when he's around. 

What else can I address? 

If folks want to play NC I've no objections. We can always throw a link to associated threads in the first post of the OOC to keep everything together.

If anything directly plot related came up I'd prefer we talked about it before the Sidereal made any big decisions, but with that caveat, it should be okay.

I think we've covered all the char-gen stuff, haven't we?

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 20, 2018, 11:36:17 AM
Nice :). So we got Zenith as leader in manse atm but also we are working a eclipse solar guided to the manse (by sidereal mentor which is played by someone and is from gold faction and aware of the manse and has been dumping men/women through a portal in there).

Which reminds me of something I wanted to ask.

Would the players prefer the Zenith be alive or dead at this point? The reason I ask is that with a well established figure in a leadership position, it will be harder for the PCs to step into that role, which ideally is how I would envision the game going.

Can into one DB family trees in manse fit a 'traitor' ancestor one? Speaking of DB who tried pull coup in manse but failed but it had pregnant wife which was unaware of husband's traitorous ideas (and it sort result family bloodline being sort black sheep in manse but tolerated because family specializes on engine repairs). Also family in question have top class first age warstrider (and over years build and maintained armored suit squad), however warstrider AI shut down itself when traitor ancestor tried use it on the coup and AI was solar loyal by programming, however ancestor overdrived AI's control on it's body and so AI sabotaged itself so warstrider shut down (and resulted the ancestor forced to fight regular manner and loosing and on military trial fashion was executed).

Only the Royal Warstriders could have an AI, and those were rare and very costly to produce. I don't see a Dragon Blood getting one of those, when there are plenty of more common types of armour about.

I'm also wary of the idea of allowing the PCs access to even an offline warstrider so early on.

Above is the concept but key question is would to war manse be stationed a one (albeit powerful build/designed) warstrider?

I don't see a Warstrider being as useful in the West as some other stuff. Tiger Shark and Immaculate Dragon armour would be relatively common, as well as probably a few suits of Gunzosha and Element Inurment armour for tougher jobs.

I could see them also having a couple of working Glorious Dragonfly class patrol boats, and a few others in need of repair, and maybe one or two Resplendent Dolphins as well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chajesdad

HairyHeretic

Bugger, I forgot that one.

Ok, give me a bit of time to check over the 2nd ed sorcery rules and see how the initiations for that worked. I should be able to give you an answer tomorrow evening.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Ok, sorcery may be a problem, at least for the Dragonbloods.

2nd ed lists the 5 trials the sorcerer needs to complete, and the third one ... journeying ... would be tricky for DBs of an isolated settlement to accomplish.

Muse, what's your thoughts on using the 3rd ed sorcery pacts here? Background might work better than the normal 2nd ed ones.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

One of the concepts that you may or may not allow.  I figure I'll post it up and see.

I've had an idea for a Twilight back when who had basically a Solar-usable version of an Essence Pulse Cannon, which is by default an Alchemical weapon.  She just kept it constantly attuned and in Elsewhere, and when brought back, it completely covered her wrist.

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/notes/world-of-darkness/ink-monkeys-vol-2-essence-pulse-cannon/326800547415/

There's a few things I can toss out, but I figure that a Twilight would be very useful for this setting.

Idej

Actually a journey could mean many things

For example there are places in the Manse that are sealed off or even some outskirts places one can go to

The journey is more about enlightenment imo.  So have aspiring sorcerers go out into some of the defunct spots of the Manse or something and there you go. :)  sorcery isn't meant to be common at all, so those who learn it should be rare in the manse.

Chajesdad

I agree that journey can mean many things, since growing up has been deemed a journey to manhood, and has occurred within the same six mile area for a friend of mine. The journey here could be climbing the ranks of the magitech or spirit liaison committee. Perhaps a foray required to a deep manse just outside Leviathan's claimed territory, where the spell storage is held, though the hearthstone room is locked beyond the gathering of a Terrestrial or currently held by Leviathan himself. Since the inhabitants of War Manse 13 are holding to the old ways and not corrupted by the world, our presence in his manse is not hindered, though without his permission none may claim the manse, just allowed to use the library function. Just tossing a few thoughts your way.

Though for truth's sake, there was talk of limiting the spells available to the closed society, what spells are not on the available list so to speak.

Zaer Darkwail

Also journey could made via a trip into wyld (sort vision journey) through a ritual or spirit trip to Yu-Shan (using certain herbs, rituals etc). Sort trance period where person is several days into it and could be actually most risky part of initiation as it can lead to student dying because they do not return in time as their body withers away.

Anyways on my char; true royal warstriders would had been rare and less useful. But what if said royal warstrider was build (customized) for aquatic setting? Like able take serpent like form in water (or other sea creature)? Or have essence fueled water skates which allow it move atop water's surface?

Anyways I indeed thought of Gunzosha troops and some magitech transports be related said clan, however main thing with warstrider was desire able go and do 'mech battle' scene. Idea is that the royal warstrider would not able move/function at all without AI. So it would be more plot relevant event for it turning on and function than just something owned by the char.

Muse

All of these sound accurate to me about the journey! 

Chajesad, I think I'm missing what your actual question is? 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 20, 2018, 04:29:47 PM
I think we've covered all the char-gen stuff, haven't we?

I'm still inclined to sugest we offer the DRagon Blooded 50 exp and 3-5 extra background points.  :) 

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 20, 2018, 04:29:47 PM
Which reminds me of something I wanted to ask.

Would the players prefer the Zenith be alive or dead at this point? The reason I ask is that with a well established figure in a leadership position, it will be harder for the PCs to step into that role, which ideally is how I would envision the game going.

Oh!  I think that's WAY too awesome a storytelling opertunity to pass up! 

Let have a few chapters to get to know our benevolant leader, see his actual goodness and occasional foibles.  Give us reason for rage when the abyssal assasin team slays him! 

How many poeple do we have intrested in playing dragon blooded?  It seems to me that they're a key aspect of the story, and I'd like to see them well represetned. 

On the other hand, I have a zenith caste concept I'd love a chance to try out.  At first glance, he's a young cassanova ships captain with an artifact daiklaive and a somewhat self-contradictory attitude towards women. 

Get to know him better, though--and give him more time to know himself--and you realize he is the Prophet of Human Potential.  He attracted the Sun's attention not for his skill at arms or personal righteousness, but for his beleif in the transcendent power of every human being.  He becomes a teacher, a war leader, and a speaker so inspiring he can motivate a nameless farmer into an epic hero. 

"You can be more."

Zaer Darkwail

Also to add I am not attached to concept so if royal (customized) warstrider is no go, I think other concept. Either case for Muse knowlegde I plan playing a dragon-blood (or human in Gunzosha troop armor which intent is to exalt in the game somepoint :P).

I myself lean to Muse in regards the leader; leader being alie and well until by IC event dies (or disappears) and it causing chaos/devastation in moral sense in the manse loosing a beloved leader.

Chajesdad

I like the idea of starting with the aged Zenith alive as well, and losing him during the game. Also, I may have as many as three or four dragonblooded before the end of the game.

My actual question about sorcery was more are there any Terrestrial Spells that you are denying due to unavailability.

HairyHeretic

Short responses, due to tired Hairy tonight :)

Spells - Are there any you feel would not be available to the War Manse?

Sorcerers journey - Leaning towards shamanic, probably via an injection of some kind of sea snake venom

War Striders - Leaning towards no. They'd allow for an almost unmatched military presence, and once word got out, you WOULD have the attention of all the major powers taht would want it. The Realm, the Lintha and the local Deathlord. So .. better off without them I think.

Glorious leader - Was thinking he would die after 1 or 2 scenarios are completed, giving the newcomer solars a chance to prove themselves to the Manse before they get leadership positions.

DB character boost - I'll defy to Muse on this one, he has more experience with 2nd ed than I have (I think)

So we have interest in DBs and Solars. Anyone looking to play anything else, as a primary or secondary character?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chajesdad

If there are any Lunar spots available, I would love to play one at a later date, either as a Lunar bond to one of the Solars or as an independent entity. Either Full Moon Snapping Turtle or Changing Moon Squid for concepts.

Really I would like to focus on my DBs to start with. So, I have a botanically focused wood aspect (3), fire aspect soldier (4), water aspect scout (2), and fire aspect sorceror (1). This is numbered by preference of play.

River of Blood-- many days of poisoning would be too destructive in an environment as they have.
Unstoppable Fountain of the Depths-- Close areas that fill quickly with water is not a good plan.
The Violent Opening of Closed Portals-- Do I need to spell it out, airlock.
Stormwind Riders-- tight and close areas do not do well with tornados
Cirrus Skiff-- Flying on a cloud when you live with two windows to the world may be a difficult plan.
Demon of the First Circle-- enclosed and limited areas to prevent the demons from limit breaking... see where I am going with this. Too risky in a sub.

Muse

Primary Character Desired:  Zenith Caste Solar (Propht of Human Potential)
Secondary Characters Desired: 
--A daughter of Uri Thousand Hands, perhaps a second in command for one of the PC dragon blooded?  Perhaps with a minor power armor?   (Bride, would you be intereted?  If not, Vedaa?)   
--Graceful Willow, Serenity Caste dancer and martial artist, Mentor and lover to Idej's character.  He could etiher be a freuqently occuring character or a come and go mnetor.  (Especialy if hes been keep track of this manse for a few centuries?) 

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so no warstriders. So char concepts;

Primary: A water aspect engineer/grease monkey, in given role he would be one 'leading' engineers in regards repairs and maintenance (and he himself as water aspect he can go underwater to repair in case of floods/leaks or other repairs at outside walls).
Secondary: A mortal male human in Gunzosha armor troops, likely subservient to DB or one solar half-castes. Idea is that he exalts and may become primary char upon exaltation (a dawn caste, so through battle).

HairyHeretic

Sorry for the quiet folks, I tend to have fairly limited time on the days I'm working.

River of Blood-- many days of poisoning would be too destructive in an environment as they have.
Unstoppable Fountain of the Depths-- Close areas that fill quickly with water is not a good plan.
The Violent Opening of Closed Portals-- Do I need to spell it out, airlock.

Though could be kept in reserve, in case the manse was ever in danger of falling

Stormwind Riders-- tight and close areas do not do well with tornados
Cirrus Skiff-- Flying on a cloud when you live with two windows to the world may be a difficult plan.

The war manse is built on an island, so these ones aren't quite as useless to the inhabitants as you might think.

Demon of the First Circle-- enclosed and limited areas to prevent the demons from limit breaking... see where I am going with this. Too risky in a sub.

The old records hold that the Solars were able to do this safely, though the last time the Dragonbloods tried it, some 700 years ago ... well, it's required reading for all Dragonblooded now, on the dangers of letting your reach exceed your grasp.

The spells do exist, but they're locked away in a forbidden codex. Only the highest ranking sorcerer and their designated successor even know where they are, let alone how to get them. And they hope they will never be needed.

How does that sound?

All the character concepts sound fine to me.

Muse, what's your thoughts on starting everyone with a bit of xp to reflect previous adventures?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

I think some extra experience would be great. 

Maybe: 
  Celestial Exalted: +100 EXP and +5 Backgrounds
  Terestrail Exatled: +150 EXP and +5 Backgrounds. 
  God Blooded:  Inheritence 4 or equivelent.  Gain the benefits of a career as described for mortal heroes.  +200 EXP and +5 backgrounds. 
  --Should anyone want a god blooded as their primary character, with no exalted characters at all, consider giving more bonuses, such as free charms. 

I also have some sugestions for backgrounds: 

Henchmen

Henchmen (Supernatural)
--The henchmen background should be allowed to celestials.  At base your henchmen are heroic mortals as created in Scroll of Heroes with +75 EXP. 
--Buy the Henchmen background at +1 dot to gain supernatural henchmen.  These are NPC god blooded created by the same rules as PC god blooded. 

Backing: War Manse 13

War Manse 13 characters should take a level of this background apropriate to their position and athority in the Manse.
--Provided they maintain this background by performing their duty, avoiding forbiden behavior, and participating in an aproriate amount of courtly polotics, they gain the following benefits from this background: 
(1)  This is apropriate backing for a person of no special power performing routine duties. 
      --They gain Resources 1 for free. 
(2)  Apropriate backing for a person of no special power performing highly valued or dangerous duties, or entry level work for a god blooded. 
     --They gain Resoruces 2 and Influence 1 for free. 
(3)  Aproriate backing for an entry level exalt or experienced god blooded. 
      --They gain Resource 2 and Influence 2 for free. 
(4)  Aproriate backing for an important exalt or someone of lesser power someone able to provide similar services. 
     --They gain resources 3 and Influence 3 for free. 
(5)  Apropriate backing for Umari 1,000 Hands and his sucessor.  He gains resources 4, influence 4, and Cult 2 for free. 

Furthermore, maintaing your backing is sufficient to maintain Backing x2 dots fo the following backgrounds, not to exceed your backing level in any one: 
--Arsenal. 
--Command. 
--Henchmen
--Retainers.

So as an example if I wanted to play a younger terestrial exalted who ws a militar leader for the manse, I could take with my build points: 
--Backing 3
--Arsenal 3 (Athority to requisition resources for myself and my troupes, including exceptional equipment, minor artifacts, and reagents nessciary to maintain my magitech and that of my unit. 
--Command 2 (Athority to lead a Talon of soldiers.) 
--Retainers 1 (Two non combatant assistants of exceptional skill--in this case a sorcerer-technician and a body servant.) 

However, if I wanted to lure three NPC God Blooded to serve in my unit, I'd have to take:
--Henchmen 3

Then to make sure they didn't leave my service, I'd need Connectiosn 3 in an apropriate area to make sure the war manse kept them assinged to my service and paid their sallary. 

Alternatively, if I only wnated 1 supernatural henchman (or 3 supernatural mortals) i could devote a resources 2 expense from my resoruces background to keeping them in my service. 

HairyHeretic

I'm okay with most of that, but I think that resources are going to be very limited. It's a military base, there's little need for money before the Usurpation and little opportunity to obtain it after.

Building resources through trade with neighbors would be doable in the longer term though.

I'd probably want to cap the Backing at 3 for the DB players, and it wouldn't initially be available to newcomers from the outside.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 26, 2018, 04:43:20 PM
I'm okay with most of that, but I think that resources are going to be very limited. It's a military base, there's little need for money before the Usurpation and little opportunity to obtain it after.

Building resources through trade with neighbors would be doable in the longer term though.

I'd probably want to cap the Backing at 3 for the DB players, and it wouldn't initially be available to newcomers from the outside.

Or they could try and also do work for locals to exchange services and goods in exchange for killing local bandits, slaying some beast, or doing something the mortals would need an exalted for.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

To clarify, I didn't mean for resources to initialy be available to War Manse 13 characters by ways other than through backing, and that sounds like a reasonable limit, even with our experience. 

Shall we begin character forging, then? 

And who would like my assistance? 

HairyHeretic

I think we have most of the details hammered out now. Anyone have anything we've overlooked? If not I'll get an OOC thread set up and we can migrate over there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zaer Darkwail

*nods*

OOC would be good place discuss and present sheets until charsheet thread is up.

Lustful Bride

I will need a good template for a CS and might need help setting it up as its my first real system based exalted game.

Idej

http://www.lookshy.dk/sheets/index.html

Fill able character sheets

Best to upload them on Google docs when you do it

But that is one option

Lustful Bride

Muse

Bride, did you decide if you were going to play a dragon blooded or a solar?  :) 

If a dragon blooded, did you want my Half Caste as part of yoru command structure?  : )

Chajesdad

Muse--If Bride doesn't want you, I will gladly take you.

Wild question, if there has been a Gold Faction Sidereal flirting with the War Manse, Are the Immaculate Martial Arts available? Not that an actual Immaculate was brought to introduce the Forms as such, but there is a god for everything, perhaps since the gods import was diminished due to the Immaculate Faith and the Hundred Gods Heresy, shrines to each of the MA gods in secret were set here and the gods, or their underlings mentor worthy individuals though the blasphemies of the Immaculate Faith were left out of the teachings. Instead basing the faith born Martial Arts on the tenets of the Original Dragon Blooded, Pasiap, Danaad, Hesiesh, Mela, and Sextes Jylis. Though as far as Awakening Charms, I would see Walker-Among-Irises and Iris Bulb Discourse as appropriate.

My Wood Dragon botanist I could easily see as an itinerant for Sextes Jylis, Wood Dragon Style of the Five Glorious Dragon Styles.

Another, I would like to start with three opening characters. A fire Aspected Fanglord of the Watch, a Wood Dragon botanist (with or without the martial arts) think Gaina from ST:TNG, and a Water Aspect sailor/scout.

HairyHeretic

Why pick those two over the First Age Tiger and Bear ones?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hairy, did you want to limit us to one Exalted character?  Or one Solar? 

Chajesdad

Those two are described as Shogunate Era, and really the finding of the War Manse by the Sidereal was during this time, roughly 700-800 years ago. Also, the rise of the little god over the Five Glorious Dragon Style would have been near this time as the MA were coming to popularity, so it would have been all the rage in Yu-Shan to have your followers know the newest and keenest in essence manipulation. The Sidereal would have seen the charms developed by the Sidereal as a choicer option as well as helping to step away from the ties to the horrors of the First Age.

Idej

So Hairy could I start with an Infinite Resplendence Amulet on Dreams of the First Age Lords of Creation?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on March 27, 2018, 09:17:26 PM
  Hairy, did you want to limit us to one Exalted character?  Or one Solar?

I was thinking more in terms of one primary character, whether Celestial or Terrestrial. If people want to play more, I think 1 Celestial per player will be enough, other characters would be Terrestrials, God blooded and so on.

Quote from: Chajesdad on March 27, 2018, 11:22:13 PM
     Those two are described as Shogunate Era, and really the finding of the War Manse by the Sidereal was during this time, roughly 700-800 years ago. Also, the rise of the little god over the Five Glorious Dragon Style would have been near this time as the MA were coming to popularity, so it would have been all the rage in Yu-Shan to have your followers know the newest and keenest in essence manipulation. The Sidereal would have seen the charms developed by the Sidereal as a choicer option as well as helping to step away from the ties to the horrors of the First Age.

Fair enough. I was thinking more that since the Manse had been around since the First Age, they would have teaching records of the older charms, making those available as well. The others came in after the Usurpation, which made them a stranger choice to my mind.

Quote from: Idej on March 28, 2018, 01:22:45 AM
So Hairy could I start with an Infinite Resplendence Amulet on Dreams of the First Age Lords of Creation?

Yeah, I'm good with that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zaer Darkwail

Also note I disappear after tomorrow to spend eastern with friends, return back on late sunday.

HairyHeretic

OOC thread We can move the conversation over there now

Characters For WIP / finished character sheets

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Crensler

HairyHeretic

Hop on over to the OOC thread, we can help you get set up

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse