Power Rangers. Kamen Rider, Sentai, suits and monsters

Started by Sabby, December 20, 2010, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Edit: Expanding topic.

This is a general discussion thread for all Power Rangers seasons, and where you can share ideas :)

I've just finished RPM, and I loved what it did. It tried to be different and took a lot of chances, but did really well. I always thought trying to make PR semi-realistic and mature would be a very bad idea, but RPM pulled it off really well :3

I saw some footage for the next series, and I'm not very impressed... so I'm sifting through the list, looking for something new to watch. After seeing RPM, I'm wondering what else you could do and change about Power Rangers...

I'd like to see a girl Red Ranger for once, and with a darker or more hopeless set up. Like Earth being under some kind of foreign occupation and the story set a generation or two after we've all been broken in, so the characters grow up on the impoverished streets and watch the aliens raid friends and family, looking for rebels. The fear and desperation of the people would have turned them against each other, so the first Ranger wouldn't be so inclined to help them at first, having been kicked around by her fellow humans almost as much as the aliens. Would find a Red Morpher when the aliens transporting it are ambushed.

It would still be about the overdone kung fu and explosions and lasers though :) It won't be too serious. But it would be somewhat like Half Life 2 in the beginning.

So which series have you watched or are planning to? I already recommend RPM, and urge you to avoid Ninja Storm at all costs. I'm on SPD right now, and am going to try Operation Overdrive later :) Is Mystic Force any good? I also heard Jungle Fury was alright.

Oniya

There was one Power Rangers where the focus Rangers were a 'beta' group - the alpha group had been lost on a mission, and came back later in a corrupted form.  I think that was the one with the dog-anthro commander, and I think the 'red' ranger of the alpha group had been female.  That one was also a little on the dystopic side - the red ranger and one other were literally picked up off the streets for committing some kind of crime, and given a choice of being rangers or imprisoned.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

SPD. One of the crooks is Red Ranger, and is male. I'm two episodes in :) they really like their high speed camera bullet time <3

Oniya

Okay - sorry for the spoilers then.  (One of the most unfortunately named PR series ever - I kept hearing 'Power Rangers: STD')  Later in the series you meet the alpha team, and I'm pretty sure the red for that one was a female.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Violence

SPD was pretty cool.  I used to tease a friend of mine that the SPD stood for "Space Police Dog" when it was her current obsession.

I actually really liked Mystic Force, though.  Of the ones I've seen, it was probably my favorite series that didn't involve Tommy.  But I'm always a Tommy fan, at heart. ^.^;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Pfft. Put Tommy and Dillon in a cage match and Dillon is the only one walking out.

Power Rangers RPM Music Video - Fade To Black

Seriously, look at him. He will mess Tommy up, and he's freakin' gorgeous too. Tommy is awesome, yeah, but he looks like Steven Seagal and Legolas had a buttbaby.

Serephino

As usual, the original was the best I think.  I haven't seen much of the others I admit, but what I did see I didn't like.  I used to watch the original every day.

Pauper45

I remember a Power Rangers series that was about Time Travelers that I thought was really good.  Their strict and militaristic leader dies in the first episode and they travel back in time and have his ancestor (played by the same actor) replace him.

It was pretty fun.  :-)

Sabby

Time Force <3 The stupid animatronic owl was annoying (wow, an owl in a time theme, that's original) but great so far. Saw about 4 episodes I think. Wasn't too impressed by the Zord battles, but will have to watch on.

I remember the Ultra Zord <3 If you look up the term 'overkill', you should find a picture of it. The original Mega Zord was 5 Zords combined. RPM had three Megazords, I think, and one of the other Zords could become a Megazord BY ITSELF. 12 Zord's in all, with a 13th that was purely a ranged weapon that could morph into a Megazord IN MID ATTACK.

If that sounds overkill, all 12 became the Ultrazord, which was twice as tall as the monsters, never suffered any damage or was ever knocked back, and could kill anything in one special move.

Jag

I liked the original series. Never really took to any of the others (though I did try to watch a few). I always liked the original Blue Ranger. He was the best. I even went as him for Halloween when I was a kid. Billy rocked.

Though, you know, now that I look at pictures of the original group...Tommy looked WAY too old to be hanging around with a bunch of high school kids. >.> Seriously, he looks like he's at least 5-10 years older than them.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Serephino

Now that you mention it, he kinda did.  I had a major crush on him though.  I wish I could remember the name of the actor. 

Jag

Quote from: Serephino on December 21, 2010, 08:33:31 PM
Now that you mention it, he kinda did.  I had a major crush on him though.  I wish I could remember the name of the actor. 

Jason David Frank.

Sabby

It's okay to have a crush on Billy. He's gay. Apparently, left the show from harassment...

I find that very ironic. When you work on the Power Rangers, you don't get to call out anyone for being fruity. ever. If Jason (Red Ranger) had been doing any of the gay bashing, the irony level would increase so much XD

SinXAzgard21

How Tommy looks now

btw i grew up in the city he was born in and have met him... he trained at lou casamassa red dragon karate studios.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Wolfy

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/hopr

A review of every power rangers Season/Series, up to Wild Force, with more coming as he gets to watch them.

Very informative and funny critique on the series as a whole, and each Individual Series that has come out since the 3rd season of Mighty Morphing.

Sabby

That doesn't cover a whole lot. I hope he gets to the rest of them soon. Wild Force is 10 of 17 seasons, and some of the ones that came after it are quite good. I'm looking forward to watching what he's reviewed anyway. Been curious of Lost Galaxy ever since I saw an ep on a Best Of DVD. I absolutely loved it's scenery and set use in the fight scenes. It'd look very fitting in a Post Apoc setting.

Jag

Quote from: Sabby on December 21, 2010, 09:36:17 PM
It's okay to have a crush on Billy. He's gay. Apparently, left the show from harassment...

I find that very ironic. When you work on the Power Rangers, you don't get to call out anyone for being fruity. ever. If Jason (Red Ranger) had been doing any of the gay bashing, the irony level would increase so much XD

Actually, it was the guy playing the Red Ranger that was doing most of the harassment that caused David Yost to leave the show. One of my friends is a HUGE Power Rangers fan and has kind of a crush on David Yost (which doesn't surprise me). He loves David Yost almost as much as he does Star Trek in general. He really hates the Red Ranger (because of how the actor treated David) and has him killed off in all his fanfiction. :P Or has him outted as homosexual.

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 22, 2010, 06:34:53 AM
Or has him outted as homosexual.

Isn't this the rule of thumb in all Power Rangers fanfic?  Or is it just the sites I go to?  ;)

Sabby

Been watching some SPD. The fight direction is pretty similar to RPM, and I like the increased focus on guns. I also LOVE the Megazord. Very cool. But honestly, the show is creeping me out o.o

The bad guy is on a Lord Zedd level of 'fucked but not too fucked for Power Rangers', a man with a skull for a head with sockets that blaze red when he yells, and his room in his spaceship seems to be a dome of orange membrane and bones. But that's not what's creeping me out, it's his daughter. I know it's an attempt to add humour to the villain, having his evil monologues interrupted by a 'daddy and daughter' moment, but it's not dulling the creepiness, it's making it worse Dx the little girl has a British accent and some sort of special mind that lets her come up with evil plans, yet she still has an 8 year old's mind, and needs to be compensated like a sulky child for providing the villain his strategies and monsters.

Which isn't a very good set up on his part, since he has a major temper problem and is very quick to yell at her (seriously, it's a bit full on the way he reacts to small requests from her. I'd be a bit frightened if my dad yelled at me like that).

Oniya

I'd forgotten the creepy little girl.  I think they were trying to compensate for the twin daughters in - was it Ninja Storm?  Those two were so typically 'American teenager' that I nearly gagged.

Sabby

Uhg, those two were insufferable... I seriously heard someone compare Ninja Storm to RPM the other day. I wanted to put glass in their mouth and then punch them in the cheek. Never raise Ninja Storm to that level, or insult my RPM.

Laughing Hyena

But in all fairness to Lord Zedd he was one of the most badass of the villains in PR history. Mostly because of the fact that he was one of the few who seemed like a truly legit threat to the rangers at the time. Even after he got nerfed down to a henpicked husband.

My my. Tommy as a Mixed Martial Arts fighter. But as David Yorst (Billy) goes, he is I believe also a mixed martial arts fighter as well.

Sabby

Zedd was pretty awesome, but I think Venjix was a much larger threat. He got his own hands dirty, for starters, ans was pretty good in a fight. Zedd fought once, and against one Ranger, Venjix took out the whole team several times and was even on the front lines when they invaded Corinth.

Hell, his retarded 'yes man' henchmen was able to go a few rounds with a Ranger. He's a 2, while Venjix is 11 >.> Only time I remember him EVER failing (besides the end battle of course) was when Silver and Gold showed up, which I don't really count because their power level dropped sharply after the introduction.

Inkidu

I haven't watched Power Rangers since... Lost in Space maybe. Though my dad just loved pointing out that no matter where they were in Angel Grove City the evil wife of Zedd's staff always landed in gravel... Oh the things you don't question in youth.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Laughing Hyena

Never watched past the Zeo Season.