Ignore List

Started by The Great Triangle, August 04, 2008, 02:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

One feature that might be kind of handy is an Ignore List, basically, the ability to filter out posts from certain users from being seen.  It might come in handy for defusing certain large community problems.  (just ignore the people you don't like and avoid even the risk of reading their posts.)

If it's possible code wise, it might also be interesting to ignore certain forums, like the extreme forum, to avoid reading things one doesn't want to read. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

CharlieSariel

For the forums I don't want to look at (of which there aren't any.. but I did play about a bit with the way the place looks for me), there's a +/- thingie on the header for the category.  That closes it off so you don't see the sub-boards at least.  It's not exactly the same as an "I can't see them at all and don't know they exist" option, but it might help with the not wanting to know sort of thing.

Hope that makes any kind of sense.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Xillen

Do keep in mind that minimizing the board on the main page doesn't remove it from other entries like "Show unread posts since last visit."

Ignoring parts of the forum will receive a lot more support after next upgrade. Not so sure about ignoring other users, though.

CharlieSariel

I was totally unaware of that Xillen.  Good to know in advance  ^_^  Thanks!

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Trieste

I have employed manual ignore in the past, with decent results. Since the poster's name is pretty well at the top of the comment, it's easy to see the name and skip past it. It works well.

The Great Triangle

That's actually where I got the idea for an ignore list, since I find there are a few posters who I simply don't want to read the posts of.  Having it as a feature could be rather nice though.   :)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Trieste

I know there's a PM ignore list ... I don't know how difficult it would be to have someone's posts filtered.

Xillen

I've seen it being applied on another SMF forum years ago, so yeah, it should be possible. I also remember most people that tried it disabled it afterwards, as it made certain threads very hard to comprehend.

Vekseid

I know board-level ignore lists will be in SMF 2.0, not sure about user ignores. If nothing else I do have it in the schema for my little project.

Haibane

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 04, 2008, 12:12:21 PM
That's actually where I got the idea for an ignore list, since I find there are a few posters who I simply don't want to read the posts of.  Having it as a feature could be rather nice though.   :)
Yeah, I'm sorry. You won't have to put up with me for much longer *grins*

Caity

Would really love this feature.

Sort of an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind sort of thing.  ;)

Haibane

*wonders who Caity wants to ignore*

*really hopes its not me*  :'(