The Suspension of Disbelief

Started by Neroon, August 12, 2009, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neroon

It is, of course, obvious that this is my first entry here.  Part of the reason I've not blogged here before has been work, part of it a simple lack of inspiration and part of it the fact that I already blog on WordPress.  However, it is high time I started blogging here on Elliquiy.  Those who are familiar with my sense of humour will be hardly surprised at the tone of what I write and to any unfamiliar with my sense of humour, I can only ask that you forgive me.

You see, I spend a great deal of time at Elliquiy, the place that is, in my opinion, one of the best places to be the net.  I do, it must be said, frequent other places online and feel perfectly at home in a couple of them.  Yet, in the end, I have to conclude that Elliquiy is special.  The people here are nice and pleasant, by and large, the standards of writing are good and it is a place that is open and accepting of others’ points of view, kinks and other miscellaneous quirks.  Indeed, I know of few forums that would create a third option for gender, so that people in indeterminate sex could have a place to call their own.  Such an option is perhaps one of the reasons why, by and large, Elliquiy’s members are so honest.

So you can imagine my feelings of outrage and betrayal when I found out that alady vampire with whom I was role playing such steamy scenes of hot haemovore action was not what she claimed to be.  Her anatomy, in real life, was quite different from as advertised and, let me tell you, it cast a distinct pall over the virtual necking we were doing.

You see, she was not, in fact, a vampire.

You might argue that it should not matter to me as, after all, the story’s the thing, isn’t it, not the writer.  But I simply can’t get past it.  How can I ever let her character bite mine in the jugular again, when I know that she lacks the dentition to do so in real life.  I can suspend my disbelief so far, but this would be hanging it by the neck.

I tell you, this situation is a right pain in the neck and I will be petitioning the rest of the staff to put a stop to such an outrage.  How can they knowingly allow people in who can write so convincingly that I would believe that they are of a completely different dietary type.

There is only one solution that will satisfy me: they must demand that every one here furnish proof of their dietary status and blood group immediately.  Or that they can, at least, do dental screenings of prospective members.  If they don’t, who knows where this will end.  I mean, I’m already starting to look suspiciously at that werewolf  I’m thinking of starting a game with.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Caeli

I ran into the same situation recently. :-( Except he wasn't writing a convincing vampire...

Could have sworn he was an elf, though.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Myrleena

*sighs and wishes she was an elf* My therapist is of the opinion that I'm otherkin, and was an elf in a previous life.

Enmuro

But on the internet nobody knows you're a dog!... Or a vampire, elf, short order cook, etc.  Hmm, a vampire elf short order cook would actually make a sweet char.

Oniya

Quote from: Myrleena on August 12, 2009, 07:48:45 PM
*sighs and wishes she was an elf* My therapist is of the opinion that I'm otherkin, and was an elf in a previous life.

*wishes she was in a state with such understanding therapists.*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Myrleena

Karren lives in Utah, just like me.  >:)

Mithlomwen

QuoteThere is only one solution that will satisfy me: they must demand that every one here furnish proof of their dietary status and blood group immediately.  Or that they can, at least, do dental screenings of prospective members.  If they don’t, who knows where this will end.  I mean, I’m already starting to look suspiciously at that werewolf  I’m thinking of starting a game with.

*gigglesnort*
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Beguile's Mistress

I've always believed that sincerity is the key to success.

Once you learn to fake that you can learn to do anything.

Sho

This is fantastic, Neroon. Love it!

Kurzyk

Yea. You know Neroon I take offense to this blog. In a Demon roleplay I was recently in I was asked if my wings were real, and furthermore if I would consent to a dental examination with posting the results for her to view.

They obviously took your suggestion and it's now spreading across the E community. I even heard another member shouting that they have a list of fake beings passing as human. There's even talk of a registration act?

Look I don't mean to be critical but I don't think this course of action is healthy for the community; a place where freedom is encouraged, and individual liberties are cherished.

Just my two cents.

Bubblez

I loved this..Great Job..

Oh ya, if we have to register...,

I am putting in anything and everything as my designation.......*laughing naughtily*
My Ons and Offs

Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream...
To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

Cythieus

I know of a guy who pretends to be a banana.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kurzyk

Cythieus

Quote from: Oni on October 29, 2009, 07:15:34 AM
But does he enjoy hard vore?

We posted this gif of a girl ramming a Banana down her throat and he got all offended.

Kenshin

I am confused? People advertise to be vampires and demons in real life here?

Will

As it should be, yes?  Could you imagine writing a vampire RP with someone who's not a vampire?  It's a little crazy.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Doomsday

In real life I'm usually a cirrus cloud though sometimes I'm a AAA battery and even a woman. I like to play sore throat lozenges on E. No offense.

Meri

Cough, cough, cough.  My throat hurts.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                                            Thomas Edison

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Arcaina on November 01, 2009, 07:32:03 PM
Not any more than I am a werewolf ;D. The post consists of maxed-out irony.
I liked it.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Arcaina on November 01, 2009, 07:32:03 PM

No, no. I tell the truth: I am a golden saint serving the Goddess Athena.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Neroon

Hmmm Athena was served by golden bees or was that an owl.  So which are you, Shambler?

Chevalier des Poissons

=S You don't know an anime called Saint Seiya?
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Neroon

Saerrael

Quote from: Kurzyk on October 27, 2009, 02:48:15 PM
Yea. You know Neroon I take offense to this blog. In a Demon roleplay I was recently in I was asked if my wings were real, and furthermore if I would consent to a dental examination with posting the results for her to view.

They obviously took your suggestion and it's now spreading across the E community. I even heard another member shouting that they have a list of fake beings passing as human. There's even talk of a registration act?

Look I don't mean to be critical but I don't think this course of action is healthy for the community; a place where freedom is encouraged, and individual liberties are cherished.

Just my two cents.

...I had the same thing happen. I mean, wtf? Hello? What's going on here? Should I be afraid of police coming at my door to check if I'm an Angel?