Looking for my first DnD roleplay

Started by Innocence, March 17, 2012, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Ah I see. That makes some sense, I live a few feet from the pacific ocean so Im probably in a better position for running the game for mountain, central, and eastern time people. Week days around 5-10 pacific time are best for me.

So innocence, how does being sent on an exploration by the local government and eventually creating/running your own kingdom sound? Its a few extra rules but theres plenty of time to learn the basics of the game before we get to that part
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Innocence

Ok Because I actually live in Australia so I'm usually 8 - 12 hours ahead of my American counterparts
I'm usually online Mondays to Wednesday, logging on and off between 12pm - 10 pm so those are the best times for me

Exploration sounds good =D
But I don't like the sounds of running my own kingdom D=>
Am I actually being punished by my government and being sent to my death? =D

Brandon

Not at all, what I was thinking was just running kingmaker. Basicly the story starts out with a group being sent from Brevoy south to whats called the stolen lands. Their expedition is basicly retake the part of the stolen lands called the greenbelt. Once its been cleared of bandit activity they have the right to start a new kingdom

So actually you would essentially be envoy's for Brevoy's swordlords, not criminals or anything like that.

Alternatively there's another AP called serpents skull which gives the same exploration feel but it starts out with the group being shipwrecked off the coast of Sargava
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Innocence

Oooo sounds interesting =D
I don't mind which one, whatever is easiest for you I suppose oh great dungeon master. *Bows*

Brandon

Alright, lets go with serpents skull then. It's mostly set in the wilderness and has a suitably epic ending to it so assuming people stick it out it should make an excellent game for everyone's first time.

The best thing you can do right now is go http://paizo.com/products/btpy8g6d?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Serpents-Skull-Players-Guide and download this pdf. Its completely free and it will give you much more background into the game then I could without an hour of typing.

After you've taken a look at the players guide you should think about what you want to play. Ill be happy to provide suggestions if you like

Innocence

Cool cools =D
The link doesn't seem to work though.... sends me to a 'webpage not found' page.
I looked up http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes though
I'm kind of leaning towards a gnome/sorcerer or witch
Since I tend to go for magic users
what do you think? =]

Brandon

Try this one http://paizo.com/products/btpy8g6d?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Serpents-Skull-Players-Guide

If that doesnt work I can put it up for direct download elsewhere

Magic users can be fun to play. Both have a place in the game so I think it comes down to the theme you want to go with. Spell selection will be important though

Innocence

Awesomesauce!
Thanks I'll give it a good read through.
I have to go to my volunteer job right now but I should be back in about 2 hours.
Hopefully we can get enough people online and ready to play by the end of this week? =D

Brandon

Yes, when you and the other person whos new to the game has made their decisions on a character and its comfortable with the system Ill put up an add for 3 more players

Marie Reynolds

So will the add for other players be in this thread or another. If it is in another thread will you post here to let us know cause I have notifications setup on this topic

Brandon

Ill be creating another thread with all the bells and whistles. Right now this thread is only for me to provide assistance to the new players during character generation and to answer any questions they may have.

The best thing you can do is start thinking up a character that you would like to play and put that to paper. What you should not do, and people can consider this a warning if they like, is send me PMs giving me useless information in an attempt to get on my good side. The decisions I make on who gets into the game are completely based on the character they write for the game.

Innocence

Seems fair
Should I use the pathfinder character sheet PDF found on the site?
Or just type out a rough draft first?

By the way how is everyone today? =D

Brandon

Im doing ok, thank you

How I usually create characters is I get a rough idea of what kind of character I want to play. Then I write out a description or find a picture to represent them. From there I figure out where they came from which is basicly a background and I write that out. Finally if I have an idea of their personality I write that out

Once all that is done I begin the mechanics. The best place for pathfinder character sheets is probably at http://plothook.net/RPG/

At the start of the game the only things Im not allowing include the words of power system, firearms, and the magus, samurai, ninja, and gunslinger classes. Im just not comfortable with that stuff yet but thats nothing you need to worry about. Its more for other people's info

Although a house rule I often add, to your benefit, is each class has an additional 2 skill points per level. Thats to help people make a more rounded party and make some choices that might not usually be made

Innocence

Ah ok... well when I play MMORPGs I usually MUST have a male character [not sure why] but this time I feel like playing a female character =D
I can't seem to get Paizo to work for some odd reason... but from what I saw yesterday I wanted her to be a gnome witch.

Hair: Autumn red
Skin: Pale Green
Eyes: Golden Yellow

I will draw up a character picture later on when I figure out more of what I want

For her personality I figure she'd be a sweet little innocent girl, a little cheeky and likes to play tricks on people but never with malicious intent.

How does that sound so far?

Brandon

Innocence

Woot woot
ok I finally got Paizo running and got the character sheet out
So i'll feel in what i can so far and you tell me what you think =]

Name: TBA
    Alignment: Chaotic Good [generally a good person but also a free spirit ^-^]
    Character lvl: I assume lvl 1?
    Deity: TBA
    Race: Gnome
    Size: Small
    Age: 40 years is the minimum for adulthood for Gnomes it seems
    Height: 3' 3" [100 cm]
    Weight: 36 lb
    Hair: Shades of Autumn Red
    Eyes: Golden Yellow

I think the other stuff I need a die for, and the approval of my GM? Yes?

Brandon

Gnomes are small size. Female gnomes tend to range between 3 and 3 1/2 feet tall and weigh 32-38 pounds. A little more or less is fine

Also yes level 1

All of that looks great.

Now on stats (strength, dex, int, etc), I use the point buy system. What this means is you get a set number of points to buy abilities. In this case you get 20 points to spend. Consult the following page for the chart

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores

So if you look on that page you note you have 20 points to spend. Now a 16 in say charisma would cost you 10 of your 20 points. However a 10 costs you nothing (on that note 10 is considered average) and an 8 actually gives you more points to work with. This allows you to design a character closer to how you see them. For example if you want to make a charming but oblivious character you would represent that with high charisma but poor wisdom

As for hit points, at first level you get the maximum for your die. So being a sorceress you get 6 plus your constitution modifier

Any other questions?

Innocence

Ok then... And I assume the minus points [e.g. 7, 8, and 9 means that you compromise certain attributes for the sake of others?]
And since I'm a Gnome I start off with +2 Con and Cha but -2 Strength
And say I buy 10 points for everything to start off [so that I don't spend any points yet ] my stats will be:

Str: 8
Dex: 10
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 12

The site says Charisma is most important for Sorcerers so if I wanted say 14 Cha I'd deduct 5 points.
Then I'd want to get my Str up so that I can carry more stuff, say 12 STR [-2 for race] I'd deduct another 2 points
It's also be a good idea to get my DEX up since I probably can't wear heavy armour, and being able to avoid attacks would be handy.  So say 13 DEX means deduct another 3 points

so that ends up with...
Str: 10
Dex: 13
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 14
and 10 points to spare
Not sure what else to do.... what do you suggest?

And what are the modifiers? How do they work?
I'm sorry I'm such a noob lol.

Brandon

When I play sorcerers I tend to go with this array of stats before racial modifers.

STR 10
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 13
WIS 10
CHA 16

After your racial modifiers it would look like this

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 10
CHA 18

Now as you can see racial modifiers just add or subtract the listed number from that ability score. So in this case the 10 starting strength went to 8 after I applied the modifier. It would be the same if it was higher so say you had a 16 strength to start. That would fall to 14. Likewise it works in the opposite way so starting with 8 strength before modifers would adjust it to 6 strength

Now if you want to take a negative stat before racial modifiers you gain points. So say you start like this before racial modifers

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 13
WIS 10
CHA 16

Now you have an additional 2 points to spend before you apply racial modifiers. It still totals out to 20 collective points spent on attributes

Muse

*peeks in* 

I can't wait 'til it opens up.  Let me know if I can help out. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Gary Stargazer

I tend to favor clerics and such, if you want a healer for her game let me know, I will happily throw my hat into the ring. I will use my old kitsune one that never got off the ground in another game.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Innocence

Everybody wants to be a cleric lol
Brandon I think we should start looking for players now since it will probably take me a while to create my character.

BraveEarth

Clerics are fun just due to the sheer possibilities that you can do with them. I'm also rather interested in this game to be honest...

Brandon

Fair enough, I probably wont have the time do get a post typed up tonight since I have plans. Ill be sure to write it out tommorrow though

Muse

Do you have an opening for a paladin?  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)