5E- Eberron; Sharn, City of Towers-- CHARLIE'S ANGELS

Started by Mister Ugly, January 28, 2018, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

I think i'll be bringing some muscle to this show.

Question; Do drow count as "elves" for your purposes? I've always been curious about playing one in an eberron game  ;D

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 31, 2018, 02:43:10 AM

Question; Do drow count as "elves" for your purposes? I've always been curious about playing one in an eberron game  ;D

http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-drow/

If you have not read about Eberron Drow above is a link to the world designer talking about them. Since part of the reason characters are being chosen is the dragonmark they have and Drow do not receive them. I would allow a half drow with a some sort of link to House Phiarlan. I would go with the SCAG half drow [drop skill versatility trait and replace with drow magic and also drop the sunlight sensitivity ]

A half drow , favoring the look for a drow would be very interesting. Drow of Eberron are not evil bastards like they are in greyhawk and offer a fresh take on them...almost tribal in nature.

As for some 'muscle' that may be useful...I hope not to have fight after fight but even the Angels needed to protect them selves and others. So an Angel that kicks ass when needed would be great!

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Kathyan

Quote from: Muse on January 30, 2018, 10:57:56 PM
Anyone have favorites between these?: 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ca/a7/5b/caa75b2f8b77371e4c4456fc5d5c3298.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/29/5d/21/295d218b1bb9fed7025e2a446794a28d.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/78/0d/50/780d508881914384bda6a6e4af5d7845.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/81/e3/24/81e324cafacb18c7e6aa6e08c8c37c27.jpg
I like most the first and third but we also have no redhead yet

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 31, 2018, 02:43:10 AM

a drow would certainly be an interesting addition as well

Also MU, do the items I mentioned are ok with you?, I would just tweak the boots to keep the barefoot aspect of my character if you are fine with that (just like in her picture). I would also like to know if I could have a free trinket, was thinking of a single ebony made domino piece to reflect her devotion to Ollandra but it wouldn't be a holy symbol at all (unless you call that I could).

Finally I can't stop thinking I should have elvish as a language as I think it'll be more useful for my character than sylvan but sylvan is more fitting given her story, any thoughts on this?

Chulanowa

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 31, 2018, 07:42:16 AM
http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-drow/

If you have not read about Eberron Drow above is a link to the world designer talking about them. Since part of the reason characters are being chosen is the dragonmark they have and Drow do not receive them. I would allow a half drow with a some sort of link to House Phiarlan. I would go with the SCAG half drow [drop skill versatility trait and replace with drow magic and also drop the sunlight sensitivity ]

A half drow , favoring the look for a drow would be very interesting. Drow of Eberron are not evil bastards like they are in greyhawk and offer a fresh take on them...almost tribal in nature.

As for some 'muscle' that may be useful...I hope not to have fight after fight but even the Angels needed to protect them selves and others. So an Angel that kicks ass when needed would be great!

MU

I... am well-acquainted with the lore and setting.  ;D Eberron was my first D&D setting (not counting like, three Greyhawk sessions when I was a kid) and I've run several games in there. I was asking 'cause the original material never actually says, and 4e (yeah.. i know...) had it so that any humanoid race could develop a dragonmark (an aberrant mark, sure, but still)

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 29, 2018, 10:19:01 PM
I plan on keeping things open until at least Monday, February 5.

MU

Okay as I try to put something together here my lack of knowledge of Eberron and iffy health and struggle to keep up with my other games are just killing me. As much as I love this setup and the idea I think it would be a bad idea for me to apply as I almost certainly couldn't contribute well.

Maybe if you need a replacement down the road I will be in a better place for it. Enjoy the game a lot folks I'll probably be following along quietly. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mister Ugly

RedPhoenix, sorry to hear that but I understand. Do not let lack of knowledge on Eberron be the deciding factor though. Just think normal D&D minus worry about alignment and add in magepunk [which means low level (1-3) magic is very common ...so common that there is a healing market in Sharn not even run by the churches. low level magic tends to be cheap example potion of healing I see as half the normal cost; add in a few mew races and a dash of dragonmarks and there ya are for Eberron.
Get feeling better. Ya could just drop those other games cause I think this one will be better.  :o ;) ;D
If there is need of a replacement we can work that out...after all they replaced an angel several times in the TV show of course there will never be one better then Farrah <sighs>
Good luck and get feeling better!

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Muse

Thrina Jace

Unlike many half elves in Khorvaire, Thrina Jace is a product of an elf-human coupling.  Mariel Jace was a particularly savvy courtesan during the Last War.  She when her home was conquered by the armies of Aerenal, Mariel seduced a highly placed officer and used her position as his courtesan to spy for her homeland. 

Despite the fact that he was an enemy of her people and she was betraying his secrets, Mariel fell in love with her target.  When the city was taken back, Mariel managed to save him from prison and get him transported to his own enemy lines.  During their last kiss, she asked him for his sword. 

He gave it without hesitation, and may have never known that she was spying on him. 

“Go, my love,” she said with tears in her eyes.  “And know that our child will wield this blade with honor.” 

Mariel moved to Sharn where she became a dance instructor.  Hoping her daughter would never have to suffer as she had—forced by duty to betray a beloved—Mariel raised her daughter to be a minstrel, but not a courtesan.  She kept her promise and hired an old soldier to instruct Thrina in swordsmanship and self defense. 

In a lot of ways, it wasn't in Thrina's nature to cooperate.  She was a winsome, flirtatious girl.  Extremely mischievous, she tended to slip out and run amok in the City of Towers at night—and the woodlands beyond when she could.  She loved to dance with the fireflies. 

Like her father, Thrina developed the gift of Sorcery at a young age—the result of ancient family ties to a silver dragon.  Thrina liked to play games with light and shadow, toy with hearts and minds.  She accessed her magic in music, dance, and walking in the forest by moonlight. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

<--indicates the history he's writing 

Mr. Ugly, is it okay if the dragon scale was perhaps in the hilt of Thrina's sword?  Or would you prefer Thrina found it through her own adventures? 

Also, you talked about a special magic item?  Could that be the blade?  Or shall I see if I can find a common magic item that would fit for it? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Muse on February 03, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
<--indicates the history he's writing 

Mr. Ugly, is it okay if the dragon scale was perhaps in the hilt of Thrina's sword?  Or would you prefer Thrina found it through her own adventures? 

Also, you talked about a special magic item?  Could that be the blade?  Or shall I see if I can find a common magic item that would fit for it?

No problem with how the scale was gained sounds like a good idea

I will get with you about a special item and yes it can be the sword
Albert Einstein

Muse

Awesome. 

Let's see. 

Class features, check.  Spells, check.  History, 2/3rds is check? 

Has it been 5 years since the Last War or 1? 

(Need to gear up too.) 

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Muse on February 03, 2018, 10:36:43 PM
  Awesome. 

Let's see. 

Class features, check.  Spells, check.  History, 2/3rds is check? 

Has it been 5 years since the Last War or 1? 

(Need to gear up too.)

998 so 5 years 2 years since the treaty

MU
Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

Good morning everyone!
I have been patient the past several days to see if any others apply to be an angel. I think I know why most did not even with the generous ability scores and extras in character building. I had requests for pathfinder and others for changlings, shifters etc. None of which fit the story planned.

That being said I have the following Characters presented:
Illven -- Lyndis, high elf , enchantress [wizard] but no background offered in tread [I could have sworn it was there at some point]
DomJoe-- Eirika -- half-elf, scout rogue
Kathyan -- Meltania -- human, cleric/warlock --very naive and 'lucky'?
Muse -- Thrina -- half-elf, sorceress

So this leaves me with a problem I had hoped for a martial character of some sort just to have the needed punch this can be worked around. Before I go with the group offered I need more of a background from Illven.
I am going to leave things open until Monday night and then see where we are all at
Thanks a lot for everyone that applied

MU
Albert Einstein

Chulanowa

Sorry, I've just had a devil of a time trying to figure out which of the three ideas I have I want to run with.

Actually with the difficulty I'm having, and the fact I've got a lot going on already, I'm gonna bow out; I hate to, I crave eberron, but, well... Brain freeze is killing me here.

Zaer Darkwail

Kalya of Kalazart
Human (v), Fighter (Battlemaster), 5, CG
AC 17 HP 44  Speed 20'ft  Passive Perception 14
Str 16 (+3) Dex 14 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Wis 13 (+1) Int 12 (+1) Cha 14 (+2)
Attacks +damage
+7 Spear 1d8+3/1d10+3  +6 Warhammer 1d8+3  +5 Crossbow (light) 1d8+2  +5 Ray of Frost 2d8
skills
Athletics +6, Acrobatics+5, History +4, Perception +4, Performance +5, Persuasion +5
traits and special abilities
Retainers (3 NPC supporting her), Maneuvers, Action Surge, Second Wind
Magic stuff
Dragonmark (unknown, least); Ray of Frost/cantrip, Jump/long, 2 potions of healing
Items
Chainmail, Halberd, Warhammer, Crossbow (light) w/20 bolts, fine clothes, signet ring, letter of pedigree, 25gp in pouch, explorer/adventurer pack

Background
Kalya hails from city of Kalazart from Cyre, a firstborn daughter of a weapon-smith who picked up arms one day deal with war criminals who had harassed local shops during Last War (getting illegal profit with racketing and 'protection') and for her heroism she was recruited to military where through further training (provided by war veterans) and heroics she was given honorific as 'Lady Kalya' and knigthed. So a far progress from humble beginnings as unwanted daughter who surprised her father in showing interest in smith work. She was not perhaps most powerful or most renown war hero during Last War, but she was popular one in her home street and district, local celebrity who shined hope for people that Cyre will come out alright and she enjoyed that small spotlight.

It did not, as Mourning happened she was in border skirmish in defending her country. In after blast she was taken captive, as she was sole survivor from magical cataclysm which froze her fellow soldiers into thick solid ice statues! Only explanation for her survival was lucky token given by her father; a necklace where hanged a silvery scale, according him, from dragon's. Now the scale was gone, but in place in her bosom now rested dragonmark shaped brand which she carefully conceals whenever she can.

As prisoner of war she was brought to Sharn along to other prisoners, many of from Cyre and survivors who ran to Breland. Soon it came clear their country was gone, and treaty of thronehold was held, but Cyre was not allowed attend it, not even acknowledge people of Cyre existed! Since then on her survival, she had become a wandering fiery tongued sellsword who carries a huge chip on her shoulders regarding Cyre and Cyran folks. Also even if she started her life as wanna-be hero alike during Last War, she now takes her ideals deadly seriously in devoted manner. She has taken on her shoulders as defender of Cyran people, facing headlong any persecution and challenge anyone who would trample on a Cyran (whether they want her aid or not). It has resulted in more than few conflicts with Sharn watch and she is in truth 'wanted' by few watch members to land lesson of humility into her for interfering in not-so-legal harassing on cyrans.

Because of her temperament and zero tolerance for 'morally questionable' acts (and some minor trouble by city watch), she had ran dry on cash and has grown quite bit desperate for it (and city watch starts seriously hinder and hunt her down). However her heroism has earned some friends who support her (self-made retainers), fellow cyrans who give her food, shelter and safe place to rest between her adventures for briefs of time and work as eyes and ears for her in Sharn. Her friends had suggested her pick up smithing and do honest work, but Kalya desires not settle down and live quietly in shadows of Sharn while so long there are Cyrans running risk being taken advantage of or harassed with no punishment. More so considering city watch is corrupt and uncaring in many parts of the city. It's her way of life, her Cyran appreciation, to do one good deed on a day (preferably on cyran) and do none bad ones.

OOC: I ask is Spear Mastery feat allowed and if picked up, can I use polearm mastery with spear then? I ask as with presented image the weapon she wields looks like a spear and so could used one or two hands if needed (and wonder why spear was not included to polearm mastery in first place). Would have spear mastery already now instead resilient (and pick resilient on 6th level).

Illven

Here's a short backstory.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Lyndis Trisweyns is a bastard child of a noble elven family, with a drow father. Although everyone knew her telltale purple eyes marked her as an elf with mixed high elven blood and drow blood, she has never put two and two together. She just assumed her father was distant because she was youngest. Lyndis is the youngest of three siblings. The eldest a girl, the middle a boy. From an early age she studied wizardry at her parent's manor, before finally being accepted to a prolific arcane university.

There at the arcane university, she fell in love with her enchantment teacher, and took to her school to impress her. She also developed a love for history, loving the information and ways of thinking in the past. This turned into a eager effort to gather any scrap of information on the past that she could. Eventually her apprenticeship ended, and well... History doesn't always pay well.

Mister Ugly

@Zaer yes I would allow spear mastery but if you would prefer to use pole arm mastery for the spear I would also allow that

MU
Albert Einstein

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I take both feats then (spear mastery has additional bonus to hit and also allows prep spear against charge which is nice tactical move). I know I wear chainmail but there was no medium armor option for my char (at least good one).

Zaer Darkwail

If wondering what for I went for spear mastery+polearm mastery, I sort inspired her combat style follow after this guy (albeit her spear is not retractable and more well balanced both one hand or two hand wielding);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOOc-7SmUg