Windows 7 and Games.

Started by Night Stalker, July 30, 2010, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Stalker

I have all of the Age of Empires games, Stronghold.

Used to play them on XP but will they play on Windows 7.

What other games would be recommended?
Ons and Offs           NightStalker's Role Playing Requests - Reprised.          A/A's - Updated        
I stalk the night, looking for her
My next victim to take away from here
She will be the prize to my collection
A joy for me to hold and use at my discretion
I belong to the night, stalking it and surveying
taking what I need to suffice my desires
I am the NightStalker

Soran

Hi Nightstalker, Okay, there is an issue with playing Age of Empires on Windows 7, even the compatibility doesn't seen to work. You could just try a google search to see if there is anything on the Age of Empires Forums. Most gaming forums have a technical workaround for windows 7, so just have a route through. I had the same issues with X2 The Threat. I ended up creating a folder and manually  coping the files across then patched it (including a no cd patch) before playing it. It bloody worked! (Yay!)

I know that's not much of an answer, but it's the best I can give.

Good luck.

(New games, the new Starcraft is out, Starcraft 2...supposed to be awesome!)

Night Stalker

Quote from: Soran on July 30, 2010, 07:34:46 PM
Hi Nightstalker, Okay, there is an issue with playing Age of Empires on Windows 7, even the compatibility doesn't seen to work. You could just try a google search to see if there is anything on the Age of Empires Forums. Most gaming forums have a technical workaround for windows 7, so just have a route through. I had the same issues with X2 The Threat. I ended up creating a folder and manually  coping the files across then patched it (including a no cd patch) before playing it. It bloody worked! (Yay!)

I know that's not much of an answer, but it's the best I can give.

Good luck.

(New games, the new Starcraft is out, Starcraft 2...supposed to be awesome!)

Thanks for that Soran.

Yeah I got in on the Age of Empires with the XP after most had stopped playing.

Now it looks like a new whole range of games may be on the market or horizon. 
Ons and Offs           NightStalker's Role Playing Requests - Reprised.          A/A's - Updated        
I am the NightStalker

Soran

There is one more suggestion, when I got windows 7 I used a fresh install on a new drive..I kept my xp drive and put it in the new pc so I could play my older games without any issues, just booted up the xp drive on startup. *grins*

Night Stalker

Unfortunately I did not have the finances to keep the old XP drive. 

Will keep eyes open on any net searches or window shopping for any games that may suit this.
I am the NightStalker

Lypiphera

You could also always partition your hard drive and keep a small section where you can install xp and the games you wish to play on there. Then when you boot up you can choose which part of the hard drive you want to go to :P