Octopath Traveler (Interest Check)

Started by Ace Flyer, July 29, 2018, 09:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Flyer

'Eight souls, that know nothing of one another...

Eight souls, connected by fate and history they could not hope to know.

Eight souls set off on their own journeys, for their own reason.

They'll need allies to see them through--for only the Gods may know what awaits them.

But will they find what they seek, before it is too late?'

This is an interest check for a group game based on the video game Octopath Traveler. A new RPG for the Nintendo Switch, it takes eight characters with absolutely no connection to each other, and put them on journeys for their own personal reasons. They aid each other through the trials that follow...And if you pay attention to the world around them as you play through, and catch some details, you can find a link that actually has all of them connected, and needed to stop a bigger, darker threat.

It's really just an awesome game.

So! I want to try something similar to it here on E. I think it would be fun, and if enough others think so, we can see what we can whip up. There would be only eight characters max, following the archetypes set in the game:

• Warrior
  • Hunter
  • Scholar (Black Mage)
  • Cleric (White Mage)
  • Thief
  • Merchant
  • Dancer
  • Apothecary
I'd be fine with people playing the actual characters from the game, or making an original character that fits the class. Each class has their own unique skill, though, that helps them through their quests--though they share the theme with another class. The Warrior and Hunter both can duel or challenge people to fights, but while the Warrior duels them, the Hunter unleashes their animal companion on them (like a one-sided Pokemon battle). The Thief and Merchants can both acquire items from people--one by stealing, the other by bartering. Scholar and Apothecary both examine people for information, but the Scholar is more Sherlock Holmes-esque, and the Apothecary is more of...Dr. House. And the Cleric and Dancer both can get others to follow them, one by being a faithful servant of the Church, the other by enticing them with some skin. Just examples of the game functions, and possible ideas for making the characters in the game.

I have a general overall, background plot in mind, but I'm thinking that each character could drive their own story and plot that keeps the focus more personal before branching out. These people don't set out to save to world right away, after all, they're all on a more personal, intimate quest. They might not all meet up right away, the story path would all be player driven---Very free-form and open-world, as I'm picturing it, but that can change too based on what people want.

If there's enough interest, I'll get a more formal recruitment thread posted. So, anyone up for giving this a shot?