Baby cannibal spider gang makes web vibrate in time

Started by Spookie Monster, October 23, 2010, 07:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Baby cannibal spider gang makes web vibrate in time

It is like something out of a horror movie: baby spiders devour their own mother, then climb aboard her web, and make it throb in a series of pulsating vibrations.

Enjoy!  (Especially you arachnophobes!)

Spel

The baby spiders would get hungry and search frantically for their mother...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Blitzy

I'm unsure if it's just me or not but that clip is like, 2 seconds long and doesn't show anything.

Edit: Nevermind. It's working now. o_O
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chevalier des Poissons

QuoteBaby cannibal spider gang

That is an amazing name for a horror movie.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Host of Seraphim

Reminded me of a beating human heart. Only creepier.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Trieste

Muninn

I have to also step into the it-totally-reminds-me-of-a-heartbeat circle.  Really creepy yet completely fascinating. *shudders*

Starlequin

Dude. I want this for my Halloween avi so frelling bad.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Spookie Monster

Thanks very much for the replies, guys!  I'm really glad that you found it interesting.

Spel

Take care, take care...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Lady Cathleen

creepy webish heartbeat, great Halloween clip Ziggy

“Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Integrity lies at the heart of leadership. Everything you do revolves around the person you are inside and is demonstrated by the things you do and say.

AtlasEros

O/O

Acinonyx

The biologist in me wants to know whether it really works like a heart with a pace-giver that all the other little spidies follow. There must be some sort of communication to coordinate this. Fascinating!

Maybe it's somewhat like a neuronal network and the baby spiders are the neurons with their neurites extending over the threads of the web, firing in a rhythm. But even that requires some "pacemaker".

Oniya

Kind of like when a school of fish all turn the same direction?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Acinonyx

QuoteKind of like when a school of fish all turn the same direction?

Mmmh...I think fish follow a different principle. More of like "stay with the group".

There once was an experiment where they put a bunch of people into a big hall and gave them one requirement: Never walk alone, always stay close to other people. After a while, they ended up going in circles like a giant ant death spiral (though I think the ant death spiral is another phenomenon involving pheromones).

Ant Death Spiral

I think if you had a "predator" or something scary attack that spiral from the side a couple of times, even the humans would have quickly turned together just like a fish swarm (maybe it would take a handful of "attacks" to make everyone catch on that you'd better turn with the group because they might see something you didn't).

But maybe that's all it takes: An involuntary "spasm" by a baby spider (or five) in a good place - and all the other spidies follow. So that is sort of like a turning fish swarm.

I just really wished I understood the benefit of twitching spiders. Maybe they want to appear as one big thing rather than a bunch of little things?

Oniya

I seem to recall that the ant death spiral occurs when the pheromone trail gets obliterated, and the ants up front get turned back in a circle while looking for it.

Acinonyx

Yup. And they spiral and spiral until they keel over dead.