Let's Get Some Wheel of Time Up in Here, Up in Here!

Started by DarknessBorne, January 30, 2015, 11:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Darkness, to run this system you basicly need the core book for the Star Wars Saga Edition.  This is a conversion of that system (Which is a fairly simple version of the d20 system.) 

http://blackmoor.mystara.net/pdfs/wot/WheelTimeRPGSagaConversion.pdf

When reviewing the fan content, we felt the need for a few minor changes, most noticeably that the madness rules were FAR to punishing.  THat's an easy fix. 
A lot of the cultural bonuses allow a skill reroll--but they were created a little unequally.  Dingo and I thought they should all be either once per scene abilities or cost a hero point. 
The last tweak we made was to the rules with the One Power for elemental affinities. 

Given what everyone else is playing, I'd probably want to play a gleegirl (female gleeman--i know they don't exist, and she'd enjoy being the first ;) ) who is an expert with knives.  She MIGHT also be a rogue illuminator. 

That or one of the Aiel.  Far Dares Ma or Sovin Nai, depending on the parties gender spread. : ) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

DarknessBorne

Quote from: Muse on February 05, 2015, 10:52:14 AM
Darkness, to run this system you basicly need the core book for the Star Wars Saga Edition.  This is a conversion of that system (Which is a fairly simple version of the d20 system.) 

http://blackmoor.mystara.net/pdfs/wot/WheelTimeRPGSagaConversion.pdf

When reviewing the fan content, we felt the need for a few minor changes, most noticeably that the madness rules were FAR to punishing.  THat's an easy fix. 
A lot of the cultural bonuses allow a skill reroll--but they were created a little unequally.  Dingo and I thought they should all be either once per scene abilities or cost a hero point. 
The last tweak we made was to the rules with the One Power for elemental affinities. 

Given what everyone else is playing, I'd probably want to play a gleegirl (female gleeman--i know they don't exist, and she'd enjoy being the first ;) ) who is an expert with knives.  She MIGHT also be a rogue illuminator. 

That or one of the Aiel.  Far Dares Ma or Sovin Nai, depending on the parties gender spread. : )

This sounds good.  I had a couple of business trips dropped into my schedule for the next week or so, hence my slowness to reply.  But I'm on board for this system to be used as a backstop to the storytelling.  Thanks for the input, Muse...I'll PM you back shortly.
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Mossberg

Wheel of Time is sort of an obsession of mine, so I would love to join in on this as long as there is room and I have the availability.

In fact, I was working on one back a while ago that never did get off the ground. But I still have a thread around here with a bunch of information. Personally, I like the idea of a Portal Stone/Mirror World, where there is no need for canon characters and it allows greater flexibility for things like cities, background, and all that.

As far as a character, I would probably lean towards a male channeler, but can play another if a channeler wouldn't fit well.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Darkmoon

I'm interested. I haven't read the books in years and left off somewhere around book 6 or 7 (Lord of Chaos?). I would prefer to play a wanted soldier from Cairhien, an outlaw that abandoned a legion of men fighting back Aiel at an opportune time to run off with his soldier's commission. This position allows him to comfortably fit into most situations, and while he is selfish and will look out for his own neck in most situations, he isn't outright vile. He thinks himself charming but values his life above all else, and isn't afraid to profess his fear of death and take the more cowardly route. Some inspiration would come from Mat Cauthon. He is ultimately looking for a good time and might gradually come to care for his companions.

Verasaille

I am intrigued by all the men signing up for this adventure. I hope we can get enough to get going soon. I think I will go with one of the Sea faring channelers. Atha'an Miere. I am doing some research and would love someone to play as my Blademaster.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Mossberg

Oh, here is the thread I referred to. It has information on the series, some talents/weaves, and the nations. I scanned through it and I believe that there are no spoilers for those that haven't finished the series.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Doji Hoturi

Well, still interested. A Warder concept still interests me most (green and/or blue ajah, I'm your man, *winks*), but there are other options I would be okay with if the group is pushing in another direction. The biggest issue would be getting certain types of characters that would otherwise have no reason to be near each other, so that might be something to consider as far as the setting.

As far as any system...well, as long as it runs primarily in the background, it should probably be okay. I've noticed that system heavy games often drag and peter out if there is too much reliance on dice rolls. Also, dice can jack up a good plot point (at the same time, they can create interesting twists).

DarknessBorne

Sorry for the absence.  Got roped into a project with no notice.  I'll be enjoying some downtime over this weekend into next week though.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a scenario set a couple decades before EotW.  Characters would begin as part of a caravan.  No PC will begin as a full-blown Aes Sedai or Warder.  You'll have the chance to earn that as the story progresses.  Mostly, you will be sell-swords and a handful of Accepted, delivering an unknown cargo from Tar Valon to Caemlyn.  Needless to say, things don't go as planned, providing the danger, conflict...and the chance to prove yourselves worthy of greater titles.

Muse

*smiles* 

Excelent.  I'll bring the glee-girl.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

VioletPanda

Count me in! What about us possible male Channelers though?
Don't forget us  :'(
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

DarknessBorne

Quote from: LukaWolf on February 12, 2015, 05:48:43 PM
  Count me in! What about us possible male Channelers though?
Don't forget us  :'(

Sure.  What I'll do for characters who channel is come up with a list of abilities related to channeling.  Characters can try to improve their channeling ability through practice.  Of course, there's always the chance of something going awry, especially with novices...and for males of course there is the taint to consider.

Muse

*Blinks* 

Were you using the system I liked you, Darkness? 

I'm confused now. 

If you are, what level do you want to start? (Sounds like 1-3).  And can I show you the changes we made otthe madness system for my game? 

VioletPanda

Were there sheets from that system that was linked or were you making your own? Were they around here someplace?

My A/A PageMy O/Os

DarknessBorne

Alrighty now.  Sorry for being offline for a few days...at times, business does intrude upon pleasure.  I've decided on this: you'll be part of a merchant caravan running from Cairhien to Tar Valon.  There's no real stricture on personalities: this close to the Aiel Waste, there are all manner of outlaws and whatnot, so there is safety in numbers.  Because the caravan runs to Tar Valon, there is ample justification for Aes Sedai (or at least Accepted, or women interested in learning to channel) to be in the caravan. 

The time is about 30 years before EotW.  In this timeline, there was a rather nasty war of succession in Cairhien proper, so the countryside is still a little bit unsettled.  There are rumors that Aiel were involved, behind the scenes...as well as "Tar Valon witches" meddling in affairs.  Darkfriends, and Children of the Light alike.  Most have accepted the ascension of the new Queen...but some have not, and the fires of rebellion are smoldering here and there across the countryside.

VioletPanda

Sounds cool, but...are there sheets? And what about the possibility of male Channelers?

My A/A PageMy O/Os

DarknessBorne

Quote from: LukaWolf on March 04, 2015, 05:50:13 PM
  Sounds cool, but...are there sheets? And what about the possibility of male Channelers?

I'm going to cook up a (short) character sheet.  And yes, there can be male Channelers...with all that implies (i.e., your male character will suffer progressive mental breakdown from touching the Source).

VioletPanda

Oh, of course. Were there going to be levels of Channeling ability or control, for examples like when Rand was Channeling without knowing what he was doing in the first book?

My A/A PageMy O/Os

DarknessBorne

Quote from: LukaWolf on March 04, 2015, 06:13:37 PM
     Oh, of course. Were there going to be levels of Channeling ability or control, for examples like when Rand was Channeling without knowing what he was doing in the first book?

Yes, it would evolve.  In the beginning, a Channeler's effects would be minor, and poorly controlled.  For example, while trying to start a small fire, he might catch the neighboring tent ablaze instead.  Ability would grow, as would control...but also, with male Channelers, the madness...

DarknessBorne

Character Sheet:

Character Name:
Area of Origin:
Physical Description:

You have 25 stars.  Allocate them amongst the following abilities (you may use up to 6 in any single ability, and you may leave some abilities at 0):
Strength, Agility, Reasoning, Knowledge, Attractiveness, Charisma, Street Smarts, Luck, Toughness.

Example for a skilled brawler and tavern denizen:

Strength: *****
Agility: ****
Reasoning:
Knowledge: *
Attractiveness: **
Charisma: **
Street Smarts: ****
Luck: ***
Toughness: ****

This character is strong, tough and agile, but not well informed about academics.  He is reasonably lucky, plain but not outright ugly, and reasonably adept at life in the real world.  He may not know a tomato is a fruit, but he will omit it from a fruit salad.

Channeling Ability (leave blank if not a channeler):
Vocation:

Two major skills and four minor your character has.  These should be focused but not overly narrow.  For example, you need to be more specific than "combat", but you don't need to specify "claymore".  "Swordfighting," "brawling," "archery," or "lasso/rope" are good examples.  Feel free to use proficiencies from AD&D PH if you want; that's pretty much what I'm going for here.

What character is doing (ostensibly) on the caravan:
What their actual mission is (if different):