Circle of Shadows- Sandobx/Action, Mild Horror (LGBT friendly!)

Started by Roen, October 16, 2014, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saric

So this is what I've got so far, it's now 4:20AM here so I'm gonna go sleep and then try and finish him up. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Perspective character - still WIP
Name: Bartholomew "Booms" Kendwick
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Origin: Human: Aging suspended. Based on legends of alchemy and the philosopher's stone.
Notable Abilities/Skills:

• Alchemy - Secret to Eternal Life? Sorta. Homunculi? Don't go there... Bubbling elixirs that do the impossible, often powered by lightning? Ooooh yeah!
  • Chemistry - Have you ever examined the chemical composition of vampiric ashes, or a dragon's scale under an electron microscope? Fascinating! Oh, don't touch that, it's just sulfuric acid. The plastic explosives are in the steel locker next to the fire extinguisher.
  • Medic - Remember you drink the bubbling purple vial and you apply the glowing pink stuff directly to the wound. If the bullet hole hasn't closed in the next 5 minutes call me. If you start leaking green smoke from the wound call me immediately and avoid open flames.
  • Explosives Expert - Did you want the building to collapse in on itself, fall across the road or just sprinkle down across the countryside? Also, on fire or not?
  • Chef - Tonight we will be having quail in a lemon-butter sauce over a bed of pasta with a side of balsamic grilled asparagus. Dessert will be creme brulee with a fruit compote.
Notable Equipment: *If there's anything special in your character's possession, that exceeds the reasonable everyday property- be it weapons, special tech, enchanted artifacts, list it here.*

• Potions - Assorted potions of varied and miraculous ability, ranging from healing salves to sleeping gas to a vial of instant cushioning foam.
  • Philosopher's Stone - Primary catalyst for creating the Elixir of Life. Elixir made with this stone will only work on Bartholomew. Anyone else would require a custom Stone of their own.
Role: Cook, Investigative chemist, Explosives guy, Prankster, Medic, Recreational substance supplier, etc
Recruitment Status: Recruited/Yet to be recruited. (I'm good with ether.)
Employment History: N/A or There are surprisingly few places to get shavings of Manticore spines... the Company, and specifically agent Lauren Walters, is one of them. The conversation went from there.
Appearance: Clothing is generally more modern but keeps notes of style from his younger days. Likes brass.
Sexuality: Heterosexual. Enjoys switching up his role somewhat but isn't much of a sub.
On/Off: I just use the default profile.
Personality: *Personalities will be widely explored during the game, just put a general description here*
Background: *Your character's story, its history.*
Merits:

• Instinctive chemist - He as a gift for looking at a substance and knowing how it will react to other chemicals.
  • Firm friend - He's always got a ready smile and a cheerful greeting for anyone, but true friends are few. Those he does have, however, he'd storm Hell for.
Shortcomings:

• Lady troubles - He can't resist flirting with a pretty face... something that has gotten him in trouble more then once over the years. It has also prevented him from starting any long-term relationships so it is unknown if he'd go beyond flirting while attached.
  • Aged mind - Figuring out what works isn't a problem, figuring out how it works is much harder. He has and uses a cellphone. He still thinks of it as being run by very quick but stupid imps because the real reason hurts his brain. Does not apply to modern chemistry but does affect his understanding of how the tools work. (He still doesn't really get what the 'electron' in his electron microscope is for.)
Hobbies: Cooking, metallurgy, experimenting with warping the fabric of reality... one brew at a time.
Face Claim: Unknown
How did YOU Find Us? The Banner at the top of the main page.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Dotley

Quote from: Caehlim on November 02, 2014, 08:00:22 PM
I like the idea of an ice elemental, very creative.

Now I've got this stuck in my head though

Thanks Caehilm! And good to see you around. I was really inspired by the "monsters touched by humanity" bit in the opening post and wanted to go with something nontraditional so decided to look at nature through a horror lens. It was fun thinking what ice and frost and winter personified would be like. Should he be accepted I think his headspace will be very fun to explore.

And what a beautiful song! I've heard lots of covers of Let It Go but first time hearing this one. Thanks for sharing. Not a bad song to get stuck in one's head   :-)
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Lux12

Well in case the one I submitted a while ago gets rejected, I do have another, more toned down character I've been working on.

Roen

Hey, guys!

Just a reminder, when the clock strikes midnight (server time) recruitment will be closed for now.
So if you still have parts in your CSs that are WIP, if you still need to submit your characters to us, you have 12 hours to do so.

Cheers!

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Caehlim

Quote from: Dotley on November 03, 2014, 08:24:10 AMThanks Caehilm! And good to see you around. I was really inspired by the "monsters touched by humanity" bit in the opening post and wanted to go with something nontraditional so decided to look at nature through a horror lens. It was fun thinking what ice and frost and winter personified would be like. Should he be accepted I think his headspace will be very fun to explore.

Thanks. It would definitely be fun to see.

QuoteAnd what a beautiful song! I've heard lots of covers of Let It Go but first time hearing this one. Thanks for sharing. Not a bad song to get stuck in one's head   :-)

Yeah I love this one, it mixes Vivaldi's winter in with Let it Go and combines them into one song beautifully. These guys have obscene levels of talent.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Saric

Quote from: Caehlim on November 03, 2014, 12:13:03 PM
Yeah I love this one, it mixes Vivaldi's winter in with Let it Go and combines them into one song beautifully. These guys have obscene levels of talent.

Yeah I love the Piano Guys as well, they never fail to put a smile on my face.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Saric

Name: Bartholomew "Booms" Kendwick
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Origin: Human: Aging suspended. Based on legends of alchemy and the philosopher's stone.
Notable Abilities/Skills:

• Alchemy - Secret to Eternal Life? Sorta. Homunculi? Don't go there... Bubbling elixirs that do the impossible, often powered by lightning? Ooooh yeah!
  • Chemistry - Have you ever examined the chemical composition of vampiric ashes, or a dragon's scale under an electron microscope? Fascinating! Oh, don't touch that, it's just sulfuric acid. The plastic explosives are in the steel locker next to the fire extinguisher.
  • Medic - Remember you drink the bubbling purple vial and you apply the glowing pink stuff directly to the wound. If the bullet hole hasn't closed in the next 5 minutes call me. If you start leaking green smoke from the wound call me immediately and avoid open flames.
  • Explosives Expert - Did you want the building to collapse in on itself, fall across the road or just sprinkle down across the countryside? Also, on fire or not?
  • Chef - Tonight we will be having quail in a lemon-butter sauce over a bed of pasta with a side of balsamic grilled asparagus. Dessert will be creme brulee with a fruit compote.
Notable Equipment: *If there's anything special in your character's possession, that exceeds the reasonable everyday property- be it weapons, special tech, enchanted artifacts, list it here.*

• Potions - Assorted potions of varied and miraculous ability, ranging from healing salves to sleeping gas to a vial of instant cushioning foam.
  • Philosopher's Stone - Primary catalyst for creating the Elixir of Life. Elixir made with this stone will only work on Bartholomew. Anyone else would require a custom Stone of their own.
  • Lighting Rod - Actually an alchemical device for attracting lightning. Note: Can be pointed at someone else but unlikely to work outside of a thunderstorm.
Role: Cook, Investigative chemist, Explosives guy, Prankster, Medic, Recreational substance supplier, etc
Recruitment Status: Recruited/Yet to be recruited. (I'm good with ether.)
Employment History: N/A or There are surprisingly few places to get shavings of Manticore spines... the Company, and specifically agent Lauren Walters, is one of them. The conversation went from there.
Appearance: Clothing is generally more modern but keeps notes of style from his younger days. Likes brass.
Sexuality: Heterosexual. Enjoys switching up his role somewhat but isn't much of a sub.
On/Off: I just use the default profile.
Personality: Cheerful, upbeat and mischievous Bartholomew, or 'Booms' as he likes to be called these days, is a character in the truest sense of the word. He'll flirt with anything female and pretty, even if they're trying to kill him, snark fae lords and zombie hordes alike, and always enjoys pranking people with his 'art'... even when he's not using it. This isn't to say that he doesn't have a more serious side to him and he takes the lives and well-being of children very seriously. Actually kill a child, or leave them orphaned, and you'll swiftly find out what it feels like to be hunted by a semi-immortal whose concoctions melt through walls and spells with equal ease, who can run for days on bottled sleep, and who knows exactly what you're made of... and what will mix with you... explosively.
Background: Born in 1887 to a poor family, Bartholomew was eventually sold to be the apprentice of "The Madman of the Manor" at the age of 12. Once he got over his initial fear of the fierce, bearded old man he soon came to realize that, whatever else his master was, he wasn't mad. Learning to read, reckon, and measure took up his early days as he served as a glorified 'gofer' but within a year he was an apprentice in truth, whereupon they discovered his natural talent in alchemy and what would later be called 'chemistry'.

For the next ten years he learned everything his master could teach him, and taught his master a few things as well, they were the happiest days of his life. Then the vampire came to town. It was old, canny and cruel, and had developed a taste for children. It entered town openly as a minor nobleman come to the country for his health and charmed much of the population. When the first child vanished a few days later few looked at him. The 'Madman' fell under swift suspicion but he was too busy trying to find the child by alchemy and magic to notice, the lights from his work flickering unusually late into the night did not help his reputation. As a second and then a third child went missing the town grew restless and angry... then the body of the first child was found, bloodless, in the fortified manor's moat.

Bartholomew was sent out the secret passage, left from the days when the manor served as the home of a noble family, with as many tomes of lore and notes as he could carry while his master tried to calm the rioting villagers before they smashed his equipment and unleashed the unstable and unfinished substances within. The roaring pillar of fire, crackle of unleashed lighting, and the screams of those trapped within followed Bartholomew for miles.

He spent the next three years finding out what had happened, tracking down the vampire, and forcing a bottle of stored sunlight down it's undead throat, incidentally making it the first vampire to burn from the inside out. Now a man of 26 he determined that horrors like the vampire should not be allowed to roam freely, but that one lifetime was not enough to keep them in check. He promptly set out to discover the recipe for the famed Philosopher's Stone and a year later drank his first drought of the Elixir of Life.

The next hundred years passed swiftly for 'Bart' as he traveled much of Europe and America selling his concoctions, hunting monsters that cross the line, and learning ever more of the burgeoning sciences. He has amassed a considerable fortune selling cures for everything from deadly diseases to unsightly marks on the skin, attended college six times, and accidentally killed off a small mid-western town that had fallen under the sway of a demon. Various woman have attempted to poison or otherwise kill him fourteen times, not counting monsters he was actively hunting. In recent years he has developed a love of, and skill at, both cooking and explosives but, fortunately, he has yet to blend the two interests. He enjoys long walks on the beach, large explosions, and the smell of lightning.

Merits:

• Instinctive chemist - He as a gift for looking at a substance and knowing how it will react to other chemicals.
  • Firm friend - He's always got a ready smile and a cheerful greeting for anyone, but true friends are few. Those he does have, however, he'd storm Hell for.
Shortcomings:

• Lady troubles - He can't resist flirting with a pretty face... something that has gotten him in trouble more then once over the years. It has also prevented him from starting any long-term relationships so it is unknown if he'd go beyond flirting while attached.
  • Aged mind - Figuring out what works isn't a problem, figuring out how it works is much harder. He has and uses a cellphone. He still thinks of it as being run by very quick but stupid imps because the real reason hurts his brain. Does not apply to modern chemistry but does affect his understanding of how the tools work. (He still doesn't really get what the 'electron' in his electron microscope is for.)
Hobbies: Cooking, metallurgy, experimenting with warping the fabric of reality... one brew at a time.
Face Claim: Unknown
How did YOU Find Us? The Banner at the top of the main page.

What do you guys think?

Roen

GM NOTE:

Hey, guys!

We've been working non-stop on this game for the last couple of days, but there is so much to do and so little room for screw ups! We really want to give you a great and well thought-out game, not something half-assed or unremarkable.

So, I'm going to postpone the launch for a couple of days, the very last deadline will be this Friday, although I cautiously hope we'd be able to bring it up sooner than that. We know you're eager to start, we are even more so.

Which means that all of you that have missed the deadline with your characters still have hope, the new deadline is on the 6th, 12am, server time. Keep on working, if you have something to work on, and to all of you that have already revised and submitted- we will get back to you as soon as Caela and I get some time to converse.

-Ro

On a more positive note, I will soon upload your shiny new markers, so that's something! :P

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Caela

Roen has gotten the game under way and we will not be accepting any more applications for the moment. We are still working through the last few that we got and if you haven't gotten a PM yet, you will. Thank you everyone for your interest!

wander

Posting here because of Roen's PM, I would be interested to return to this game. :)