Some help with French?

Started by Zeitgeist, December 29, 2011, 09:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

Nothing too intense. I want to title my story: The Amazon on Rue Jacob.

Making use of Google translate, I have...

L'Amazone le Rue Jacob

Is that right? Would there be a better way of writing it?

Thanks...

Autumn Sativus

Are you looking for a title of "The Amazon on Jacob Road" and pre-translated the word road into rue?

Rue, in French is Road. So what you're got there is The Amazon the Road Jacob.

L'Amazone sur Rue Jacob would be The Amazon on Jacob Road.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Saffron on December 29, 2011, 09:31:59 PM
Are you looking for a title of "The Amazon on Jacob Road" and pre-translated the word road into rue?

Rue, in French is Road. So what you're got there is The Amazon the Road Jacob.

L'Amazone sur Rue Jacob would be The Amazon on Jacob Road.

That would work perfect I believe. The true-to-life person (Natalie Barney) was nicknamed The Amazon and she lived on Rue Jacob in Paris. So it seemed like a good title for the story, The Amazon on Rue Jacob, or L'Amazone sur Rue Jacob

I may be back for more help, though I'll keep my ambitions in check, a word here, a phrase there. LOL

Thank you!

Avis habilis

I might go L'amazone de la rue Jacob or L'amazone dans la rue Jacob. My anglo ear might be wrong, but I think the preposition sur in this case would suggest something like "the Amazon painted on the road".

Izzie Aditi

I agree with Avis, first thing that came to mind was L'amazone de rue Jacob honestly...but the last time I spoke French was..ehh..4 years ago ::) I think "de" is wrong (isn't it "la rue?"), then it would be L'amazone de la rue Jacob indeed.

Someone must be a native French speaker here?
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Zeitgeist

I sadly have no talent for any language other than my own. I appreciate the help, and I'll follow closely the discussion. Thank you!

I'd add, playing with Google Translate, and Babel Fish, the variation of sur or de la may simply be the difference between on or of rue Jacob.

Either would work of course. Though I think I'm leaning towards The Amazon of rue Jacob, rather than on rue Jacob. The difference however is negligible.

Haibane

I think 'of' ("de") is the best fit and since "rue" is a feminine noun, then Avis' suggestion of "L'Amazone de la rue Jacob" seems best to me.

Zeitgeist