I'm watching JAG reruns these days...

Started by Beorning, September 02, 2012, 01:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

... not that I'm a big fan of the show - actually, I consider it too vanilla and sweet. Still, there's one big plus of this show:

They make military life look sooo cool!  ;D

I've this completely unfulfillable dream of being a soldier. So, watching this kind of show is sort of wish fulfillment.

... plus, tons of military women in the cast and as extras!  ;)

Anybody else liking this kind of shows?

Oniya

I loved that show!  CSI aspect, men in uniforms, jets and ships... What's not to like?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Well, the CSI aspect was in JAG's spinoff, NCIS. Which is a show I'm very fond of.  I kind of identify with Tim McGee :-)

JAG itself was too sickly sweet for me... plus, I'm not a big fan of Catherine Bell. Still, watching this show can be fun, too.

Oniya

There was still quite a bit of investigative work in JAG - and I think they did a few crossovers with NCIS (which I also like).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hemingway

JAG was one of my favorite things to watch growing up. I'm not really sure how I'd feel about it now. I remember the old man - Chegwidden - as a bit of a badass, though. Hm...

Oniya

I'll be honest, I kind of glossed over the female lead.  ::)  Although, I suppose that's not too surprising, considering my inclinations.  The only female characters in this genre that I really have strong recollections of are the lead in 'The Profiler,' whose name I actually forget at the moment; to some extent her 'roommate', Angel?; Abby (who can't miss Abby?); and Bones, from the show of the same name.  Actually, there was a female D.A. in one of the Law and Order series that reminded me of my oldest sister, so I guess that's five.

Falanor

When I was younger I watched the show when it first came out with my father.  Was so not a good idea because he was a JAG in the Navy and kept looking at me and saying "That never fucking happens.  Ever."  It did make for funny viewing since he basically provided Mystery Science Theater 3000 level commentary through the whole show though.

Oniya

There's a reason I never suggested watching M*A*S*H with my father.   ;)

Lilias

Gosh, it's been forever since I watched JAG... One of the reasons I was glued to the telly for 6 hours on Sundays (crafty channel had scheduled a chain of favourite shows of mine back to back between 2 and 8pm). I've outgrown the cop shows of my teens, but not the military background.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

gaggedLouise

"JAG" means "I" in my tongue, so references to this title (which ran with a different heading around here) used to mystify me. It sounded like it was some kind of corporate egoboost drama, well, like The Apprentice but focusing squarely on Trump himself.  :-)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Shjade

I remember watching JAG when I was younger, before I came across NCIS.

Then I stopped watching JAG.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

We, guys in my squadron, would do a drinking game. Anyone who spotted a military error first would make everyone else drink. Ribbons were a big one.

Mithlomwen

I loved JAG!  It is still one of my favorite shows ever.  ;D 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mithlomwen on September 02, 2012, 10:00:31 PM
I loved JAG!  It is still one of my favorite shows ever.  ;D

They did a show on our carrier.. the Major is a hottie out of uniform. :D

gaggedLouise

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 02, 2012, 11:27:13 PM
;D ;D

Watching her jog on the flight deck.. totally awesome.. work seemed to drop off around that time.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 02, 2012, 11:29:21 PM
Watching her jog on the flight deck.. totally awesome.. work seemed to drop off around that time.

Must be very combat effective when an attack is imminent. *just kidding*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 02, 2012, 11:48:44 PM
Must be very combat effective when an attack is imminent. *just kidding*

We were doing circles in the ocean off of mexico.. got to see my first superpod that work up.

Beorning

Ha! The question is: is Navy as cool as they show in the show? What do you say, Callie?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Beorning on September 03, 2012, 12:57:33 AM
Ha! The question is: is Navy as cool as they show in the show? What do you say, Callie?

I enjoyed my service, but it was hard. We were doing 16 hour days on the carrier for surge ops when she was filming her show..ashore we were working 7 days a week to get ready for deployment. I was working like that for 9 months.. my cheif was a dick.. but we 'accidently' left him off the access list to the shop.. so we could do a lot without him in the shop once we got underway.

You got dicks.. shop politics and the usual.. but I enjoyed serving my country.

Beorning

Ha. After watching JAG yesterday, I found one tidbit I'd like to ask about:

The episode took place on a carrier (again). For most of the episode, the team was strolling around the ship in the somewhat-relaxed uniforms... meaning, they guys were not wearing ties etc. So were the regular sailors seen in the background. Then, in the final act, the carrier got itself into a combat... And, for the rest of the story, everyone was wearing helmets and... had their shirts buttoned up tightly. And I mean *everyone*.

It may sound completely silly, but is there some sort of rule in US Navy that you have to keep your shirt buttoned up in combat situations?

Callie Del Noire

Yup, several reasons.  Less skin exposed means better seals when you put on protective gear, don MOPP gear and fire fight. What REALLY sucks is when you're in a space and the kill the ventilation for a 8 hour general quarters drill and your section has been KILLED and now your without power.

Shjade

Probably harder to snag your uniform on something while you're running around in a ship with lots of bolts and other snaggable objects if you're all buttoned up, too.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

Well Battle dressing (pulling up your collar, cuffs, tucking in pants legs into work boots) also makes it easier to pull on over gloves, boots, masks, and other protective gear.

You'll excuse me while I go have horrible flashbacks of running around in full MOPP and the rest... <shudders>