Murder Mystery! (Interest Check, On Hold)

Started by Conflict, April 02, 2014, 06:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conflict

Murder Mystery!

It's a classic murder mystery party: someone was murdered, the place is snowed in or something, you know the drill. The murderer wants to avoid getting caught, and the innocent guests want to catch the murderer before he does any more damage. I will be your host for this evening, providing the voices of two or three NPCs you may have to interrogate, and playing the house and the body.

There will be around ten to twelve characters, ideally, each from different background with different skillsets, etc. We can decide your character over PM - The public stuff (name, appearance, background) will be seen by everyone, and the private aspect (whether or not you did it, plus some other surprises I'm planning to throw in) will be known only to me and you. As a character, you have to work with your fellow party guests to figure out who killed your host, why they killed him, and how they killed him. To achieve this, you'll need to have a sharp wit and a healthy dose of paranoia.

Now, real talk. This is my first time coordinating a group RP like this, so we're going to be playing it by ear a bit. This is a Challenge RP (I'm not sure if E has something like this already and I'm just making up names, but it's for those who love solving puzzles). I'm not sure how things are going to work out because of people's variable posting speeds, so we'll just have to see. I am good with plots and plans, and already have several decent ideas. How they'll translate into workable, satisfying mysteries is to be seen.

Well, that wraps it up. If you're interested, please post here, or send me a PM, or both, and we'll talk about your character. Thanks for reading!
Currently Playing: This War of Mine
Currently Reading: Robinson Crusoe

Blinkin

Color me interested.

As a side note, and I'm sorry to say this, I've seen this idea put out a few times, including twice by my own efforts. You'll get lots of interest, but to date, none of the ideas have made it beyond the set up in the IC thread. I am hoping that this one proves different as I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time and think that it has all of the great things that a role-playing game needs. A challenge that makes you think and act, not simply react and break things and, of course
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tom

Innocence

Very much interested!! =]
I've taken interest in a few of these before and like Blinkin has said it's hard to get it past the interest check.
I'm just wondering what sort of time era it will be set in and will it be played out in time blocks to keep everyone roughly in the same time [to accommodate for posting speeds]?
Also, I love your avatar picture =] That's from Oglaf right?

DinaFlower

Conflict

Hey, everybody, thanks for your interest! I'll try to get PMs out to all of you by tonight, about character types and backgrounds.

(And yes, the pic is from Oglaf. It's gotta be one of the best webcomics out there)

Xenolord

I do love me a good murder mystery. Color me interested.

Chrystal

Quote from: Blinkin on April 02, 2014, 10:59:33 AM
Color me interested.

As a side note, and I'm sorry to say this, I've seen this idea put out a few times, including twice by my own efforts. You'll get lots of interest, but to date, none of the ideas have made it beyond the set up in the IC thread. I am hoping that this one proves different as I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time and think that it has all of the great things that a role-playing game needs. A challenge that makes you think and act, not simply react and break things and, of course

Quote from: Innocence on April 03, 2014, 02:37:31 AM
Very much interested!! =]
I've taken interest in a few of these before and like Blinkin has said it's hard to get it past the interest check.
I'm just wondering what sort of time era it will be set in and will it be played out in time blocks to keep everyone roughly in the same time [to accommodate for posting speeds]?
Also, I love your avatar picture =] That's from Oglaf right?

Hi Blinkin... :)

As Both Blinkin and Innocence have said...

I too have tried running a very similar type of game.

I actually tried two or three times and the last time I actually got the game going. Unfortunately, it fizzled out before we got to the actual murder...

The way I had it set up, was that every player character had some sort of motive to want to kill my character and I selected one as the murderer and PMed that player, to set up exactly how the crime would be committed and what clues would be left.

As I said, it never got as far as the murder - I wanted to allow players a chance to develop their characters a bit, so started in the evening, and was going to have one of the NPC hotel staff discover the body next morning.

If you can make this work I will be interested.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

BeckyAnnn

Interested, and have a character in mind.  Hope this actually works.

Strangefate

Also posting possible interest depending somewhat on setting and all that.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Faeli

Hey!  Hey!  This sexy ass is interested too!  *wiggle*

AdrianZef

Don't know if you want to roleplay with me? The answer is yes, you do. But fine, I guess I'll give you one of these: Ons and Offs, as well as a Wishlist.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Conflict

Hey everyone, thanks for your interest. Apparently this has been attempted several times before, but like 50% of the people drop after some time.... and the setup I have planned really won't work if that happens... which leaves us at an interesting junction. I will attempt to come up with a story that will still work if several people drop (as difficult as that sounds), and if I succeed, you guys will be the first to know. As much as this sucks, it would have been way worse to actually start the RP and have it fail miserably. Hopefully you guys forgive me for my inexperience.

-Con

Chrystal

Quote from: Conflict on April 09, 2014, 03:30:26 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for your interest. Apparently this has been attempted several times before, but like 50% of the people drop after some time.... and the setup I have planned really won't work if that happens... which leaves us at an interesting junction. I will attempt to come up with a story that will still work if several people drop (as difficult as that sounds), and if I succeed, you guys will be the first to know. As much as this sucks, it would have been way worse to actually start the RP and have it fail miserably. Hopefully you guys forgive me for my inexperience.

-Con

As I said, if you can figure out a way to make it work, I will definitely be up for it. However, it is a perennial hazard of group games on E, no matter the story or setting, that if you need x players to make it work, you must start with 2x players, and always allow a way to move forward if a player who's post it happens to be does not let you know that he/she is no longer interested.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!