Could we (or do we) have an option to really Minimize the Shoutbox?

Started by kylie, July 11, 2014, 02:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylie

I know it's not that huge, but it's this sort of odd new stretch of super dark blue popping out in the top of what used to be so "smooth"...  And some of us may like rarely or never care to use it... 

More to the point, right now I have to scroll past it  ??? to get to everything else.

So is there a way we could click a little collapse thingy in the corner of the shoutbox portion of the screen...  And not have the shoutbox take up that stretch of real estate and precedence, whenever we load the Index page?

kylie

Okay, so I am a little dense.  Now I noticed there is a "Close Shoutbox" link in there...

But well, you have to go reading around inside all the dark blue shoutbox, below all the chatty text, to find it.  Which felt a little weird just now to me.

Styx26

It doesn't work when Im on my mobile. The Shoutbox ends up blocking the buttons and a fourth of the screen, including the 'new replies/message' links...
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

Vampdrake19

There's the option called "No Shoutbox" that works.  Is that helpful enough?
Available for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  PM for discussion.  RP threads on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord

Styx26

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

Vampdrake19

Available for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  PM for discussion.  RP threads on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord

Jester

I used to have shoutbox "never" open but each time i come back it is open.

Can we shut it off permanently?

Vekseid

Quote from: Jester on July 15, 2014, 08:34:34 AM
I used to have shoutbox "never" open but each time i come back it is open.

Can we shut it off permanently?

Click 'Disable shoutbox'

Make sure you have cookies enabled.

Jester

Oh ok.  I thought cookies were the devil (in more ways than one)?

Oniya

Cookies are simply little bits of information that websites put on your local machine.  Legitimate cookies allow you to maintain certain settings, such as your email provider being able to open to a specific view instead of requiring you to navigate to it every time.  With forums, the 'preferred theme' is a setting which can be stored as a cookie.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

I had to make a special bookmark to keep the SB closed. I use cookies, and it refuses to remain closed unless I force it via the bookmark.

Vekseid

Quote from: Jester on July 15, 2014, 10:50:21 AM
Oh ok.  I thought cookies were the devil (in more ways than one)?

Yes, they are. I use Cookie Monster

But if you're worried about me being able to track what you do on E, I'm... not sure what to say to that.

Vekseid

Quote from: Karma on July 15, 2014, 11:29:40 AM
I had to make a special bookmark to keep the SB closed. I use cookies, and it refuses to remain closed unless I force it via the bookmark.

...that fix it?

Quote from: Vekseid on July 15, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
...that fix it?

Only so much testing I can do, of course, but it seems like it. I did a full refresh and all that jazz. Thanks!

Jester

Quote from: Vekseid on July 15, 2014, 12:29:31 PM
Yes, they are. I use Cookie Monster

But if you're worried about me being able to track what you do on E, I'm... not sure what to say to that.

No not worried about you. But just ..... cookies.

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

Quote from: Jester on July 18, 2014, 03:38:26 AM
No not worried about you. But just ..... cookies.

If you're signing into E without cookies, you're using URL auth which is even worse...

Still, I recommend extensions like Cookie Monster, there should be a simple cookie manager for whatever browser you use.

Veks, it seems fixed on my desktop, but Chrome on Android won't remember the setting for more than two or three new tab loads of the page.

Kurzyk

I've disabled Shoutbox, is there a way to completely remove the blue box containing the shoutbox information? Thanks.

Vekseid

Quote from: Karma on July 19, 2014, 01:15:00 AM
Veks, it seems fixed on my desktop, but Chrome on Android won't remember the setting for more than two or three new tab loads of the page.

It's working fine for me on 4.4.4...

Try logging out and going to Elliquiy's Clearcookies page?

Vekseid

Only think I can think of is to force-set your variant in your theme settings:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

Note, you'll have to select the variant under 'elliquiy2', not 'default'. The _ns ones are the no shoutbox ones.

TexasWarren

Quote from: Kurzyk on July 19, 2014, 04:39:52 AM
I've disabled Shoutbox, is there a way to completely remove the blue box containing the shoutbox information? Thanks.

I would also like to do this. Several posts here do not show what my browser does (Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125 m)

I was told there is a red triangle to open/close: Nope
Was told to use the "No Shoutbox" button: nope, don't have that, either.
Cookies enabled, but I would really just like it gone altogether if that is doable, please and thank you.

Tex

Current Muse Score (0 - 10): 9

Nadir

You don't see the big "disable shoutbox" button left of the search bar?