Vatican's use of diplomacy to gain middle east peace

Started by Brandon, September 06, 2010, 02:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

So lets begin with the first topic of many. That being this

Pope wants 'respectful' deal in Mideast

QuoteVATICAN CITY (AFP) – Pope Benedict  XVI Thursday called for a Middle East peace agreement that is "respectful of the legitimate aspirations" of Israelis and Palestinians, during a meeting with Israeli President Shimon Peres.

The pope said he hoped Israeli and Palestinian leaders' resumption of direct talks set for later on Thursday in Washington would assist the parties in reaching a deal "capable of bringing lasting peace to the Holy Land and to the entire region," the Vatican said in a statement.

He also condemned all forms of violence and affirmed "the necessity of guaranteeing better conditions of life to all the peoples of the area."

Under US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's supervision, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas will sit down for their first direct talks in nearly two years, with issues that have thwarted previous peace efforts on the table.

Pope Benedict also expressed "hope for the rapid conclusion" of the work of an Israeli-Vatican commission that is drafting an economic accord between the two states.

The "cordial discussions" were conduct in English at Pope Benedict's summer residence of Castel Gandolfo outside of Rome.

Peres gave the pope a Menorah, the traditional Jewish seven-branched candelabrum, with an inscription likening Pope Benedict as a shepherd leading his flock to lands of blessing and peace.

The pope in return gave Peres a bronze medal copy of one placed by Pope Alexander VII in 1657 on the first stone of the collonade on the north side of Saing Peter's basilica at the Vatican.

There may be doubts that a peaceful agreement can be reached, I have them myself. However nothing worth having is easily gained (you get a cookie if you know who said that). Having two high standing leaders actually sit down for peace talks is a huge step in the right direction and the longest journeys begin with a single step. While there are some other countries involved, the pope is the one leading the charge so to speak

So what do you think? Can this work? Can it at least put the Israeli's and Palestinians on the right track toward peaceful cohabitation?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Hey the more people who pressure the boneheads the better. If the Pope wants to help, he can join everyone else from the west into pressuring The isrealis and Palestinians into a LONG overdue peace.

Of course right now neither side wants it. The Isrealis want to steal land and go back on old agreements and the Palestians are happy to let the radicals jihadists lead them around by the nose.  Whereas the two groups SHOULD work together at tell all their rivals to stick it. 

HockeyGod

First and foremost, the Pope should be working towards peace in the Middle East just as he...as the Holy See...should be working towards peace everywhere. In a perfect world I don't find this shocking. It's his role and if he wasn't doing it, he'd be un-Pope-like.

In this specific situation I agree in part with Callie. This is a multi-party issue and they need to buck up and sit at the table together.