Avengers Grimm: Fairy Tale Superheroes (Recruiting! Please Join!)

Started by Mathim, September 24, 2016, 09:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isengrad

If we get more people, I have a nice little art reference list for some Russian fairy and folklore tales.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4x41W  art is poretty cool but lists a few of the heros and villians from Russian fariytales.

original artwork by karabiner

Mathim

Ooh...I wonder if anyone might be interested in taking on the role of Beowulf or something like that...surely that counts for a scenario like this even though it's more like an epic poem.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Tokyorose627

We could use more people to join! More possibly towards more villains if you can, but heroes are fine as well! Feel free to look over the character profiles to get an idea for the RP!

Juggtacular

Player Name: Juggtacular
Character Name/Identity:Sun Wukong - The Monkey King
Tale(s) of Origin: Journey to the West
Alignment: Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil(depending on who you ask)sometimes just Chaotic
Abilities:Due to the powerful forces involving his birth, as well as "upgrades" given to him, or taken for his own over the course of his life, Sun is a very, very powerful individual.

Godly Strength: Sun Wukong is physically very strong, as he is capable of effortlessly wielding his staff which weighs 8.1 tons, with one hand, and even a single finger. He is also strong enough to resist even Buddha's palm trying to crush him for a short period of time.

Godly Toughness: Like his strength, Sun is just as tough as he is strong. He has withstood an attack from the entirety of Heaven, and come out on top.

Godly Speed: Like the monkey he is, Sun is incredibly fast, and it's been said he's able to cover 13,468 miles in a single somersault(although this is obvious hyperbole). The speed also transfers to combat, and he is fast enough to vanish from sight with his movements.

Magic: The Monkey King is a master spellcaster. He innately knows 72 Transformations(including of course a massive ape), and has learned more throughout his life. Also, each of his hairs is magical, and when plucked from his body, can transform into objects, clones of Sun, and more. He also knows a plethora of elemental spells, conjuring spells, summoning circles, and magic to freeze anything in it's tracks. He even speaks and understands every language, as he came from a magic rock, and the Earth understands all.

Skills:

Ruyi Jingu Bang: Sun Wukong's prized staff is known as Ruyi Jingu Bang, and once belonged to Ao Guang, the Dragon King of the East Sea. It was gifted to Sun after a plethora of other enchanted weapons didn't match his standards. It's normal form is a black pillar that is 20 feet tall and as wide as a barrel. Only Sun who was fated to wield it can command it to shrink to a smaller size. It can also clone itself at his whim. Ruyi Bang weighs 8.1 tons, yet Sun wields it like it was as light as a cane. With his skill and the staff, he has defeated the entirety of Heaven. When not in use, Ruyi Bang shrinks down to the size of a needle and is tucked behind Sun's ear.

Martial Arts: Sun was born knowing 1,000 styles of martial arts, but has learned more from watching animals and his opponents during his travels. He is a master fighter and probably one of the best in the world.

Persuasive: The Monkey King has an infectious personality, and anyone with a good heart or spirit sees this, allowing Sun to easily gain friends and followers alike.

Backstory: Born from a magic rock, on the peak of Mount Huango(The Mountain of Flowers & Fruit) Sun Wukong's existence shook the pillars of Heaven, as the Jade Emperor himself noted two powerful beams of golden light coming from below the clouds. They were Sun's eyes as he looked around the new world. As he ate, the light died down, and soon after he started to befriend the creatures of the mountain; especially the monkeys. While playing, they decided to find the source of the stream that they always bathed in. What they found was a waterfall up the mountain, and the monkeys claimed whoever found the source, would be their king.

Sun volunteers, and after going through the waterfall, he finds water rushing over an iron bridge leading to a house. Bringing his new friends with him, they claim the house and Sun claims the title of Monkey King. Claiming the entirety of Mount Haungo as his Kingdom, Sun seeks out a powerful weapon to match his own strength. He found it underwater in the domain of Ao Guang, Dragon King of the East Seas. After that, he defeats the remaining dragons of the sea, claiming a golden chainmail shirt, a phoenix feather cap, and cloud walking boots from them. After returning to his Kingdom and demonstrating his power, Sun formed an alliance with multiple "demons" and Kings. Including the Bull Demon King, Lion Spirit King, Macaque Spirit King, Saurian Demon King, and Roc Demon King.

When Hell attempts to collect his soul, he goes so far as to erase his name and the names of his friends from the book of Life and Death. After the Dragon Kings and Kings of Hell report him to the Jade Emperor, the Emperor grants him a royal title to placate him. However, he is given the position not of "God", but of "Protector of Horses", the lowest job in Heaven. Rebelling against his continued treatment, he proclaims himself "The Great Sage, Equal of Heaven" and frees the cloud horses. Heaven recognizes his self gifted title, and again tries to placate him, this time making him the "Guardian of the Heavenly Garden". Again however, it is a lowly position, and he is denied entry to a banquet that every other God and Goddess is invited to. In retaliation, he stole the Peaches of Immortality, the Pills of Longevity, and the Emperor's royal wine.

He consumed all 3 and returned home to his mountain to prepare for a rebellion against Heaven itself. When Heaven retaliates, Sun single-handedly defeats all 100,000 Celestial Warriors, all 28 constellations, four heavenly kings, and Nezha, and proves himself equal to the best of Heaven's generals, Erlang Shen. Eventually, through the teamwork of Taoist and Buddhist forces, including the efforts from some of the greatest deities, and then finally by the Bodhisattva of mercy, Guanyin, Sun Wukong is captured.

After several failed attempts at execution, Sun Wukong is locked into Laozi's eight-way trigram Crucible to be distilled into an elixir (so that Laozi could regain his pills of longevity) by samadhi fires. After 49 days, however, when the cauldron is opened, Sun Wukong jumps out, even stronger. He is now able to recognize evil with huǒyǎn-jīnjīng (火眼金睛) (lit. "golden-gaze fiery-eyes"), an eye condition that also gives him a weakness to smoke, and proceeds to destroy Heaven's remaining forces. The Jade Emperor and the authorities of Heaven appeal to the Buddha, who arrives from his temple in the West. The Buddha bets that Sun Wukong cannot escape from Buddha's palm. Sun Wukong smugly accepts the bet. He leaps and flies to the end of the world. Seeing nothing but five pillars, Wukong believes he has reached the ends of Heaven.

To prove his trail, he marks the pillars with a phrase declaring himself the great sage equal to heaven). He leaps back and lands in the Buddha's palm. He is surprised to find that the five "pillars" he found are in fact the fingers of the Buddha's hand. When Wukong tries to escape, the Buddha turns his hand into a mountain. Before Wukong can shrug it off, the Buddha seals him there using a paper talisman bearing the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" in gold letters. Sun Wukong remains imprisoned for five centuries.

While sealed away, Wukong has nothing but time to think and meditate on life and his existence. He was finally beginning to understand why he was treated the way he was, when Rumplestiltskin began his war. He sensed it, but could do nothing; until Buddha himself appeared and shattered his prison. The deity made a deal with Sun Wukong; he would gain his true freedom, and full admission into Heaven as the Great Sage, when the Djinn lay defeated. And to seal the pact, Buddha placed a golden band on Sun Wukong's head that could never be removed until the deed was done.

Personality: As he is a monkey, Sun is naturally a playful individual. He loves to play pranks and tricks on people, often times hoping it's as funny to them as it is him. He has a good heart, and knows the difference between right and wrong, no matter the context. And he will fight for what is right to his last breath, even if it means fighting the entirety of the Jade Heavens because they treated him horribly. He is confident in his power, and himself, as he never backs down from a challenge, and will face even impossible odds with high hope.

Orientation: Heterosexual
Appearance (please identify face claims where possible): In his human form, Sun appears to be a normal man. About six feet even, well muscled, with trimmed facial hair and a regal bearing about himself. His natural form is that of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King. He appears to be a humanoid monkey with a very human face, fiery hair, and a long tail protruding from his lower back. His appearance tends to change based on his mood however, so he can look like nearly anything or anyone.

I'm also thinking of Raven or Coyote from Native American myth as a bad guy, as they are trickster Gods who can get sorta vicious.

Mathim

A bit of hyperbole in there, don't want him too invincibly powerful. If he were more in line with the one from the Forbidden Kingdom and with his magic flying cloud that would be more reasonable. Maybe a hybrid between the Forbidden Kingdom and The Monkey King versions? You can find the latter on Netflix. Actually, you might be able to find both...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Juggtacular

Quote from: Mathim on October 16, 2016, 11:43:01 AM
A bit of hyperbole in there, don't want him too invincibly powerful. If he were more in line with the one from the Forbidden Kingdom and with his magic flying cloud that would be more reasonable. Maybe a hybrid between the Forbidden Kingdom and The Monkey King versions? You can find the latter on Netflix. Actually, you might be able to find both...

Well this is all taken directly from Wikipedia, and is what happens in his story. I just wrote it in my own words. For the purposes of the game though he'd be more along the lines of the other heroes. Kinda like how Rumplestiltskin is far more powerful in this version than his normal version.

Mathim

I was mainly referring to the distance you said he can jump, that was just...yikes. Even in the movies that's never been done.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Mathim on October 16, 2016, 12:01:06 PM
I was mainly referring to the distance you said he can jump, that was just...yikes. Even in the movies that's never been done.

Ahhhh lol. Seriously, that was in the book. But I get it. Edited.

Mathim

AribethAmkiir

Been watching this for a while.  I know there had been some interest in "Puss in Boots", but has anyone claimed her?

If not, may I?

Mathim

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on October 17, 2016, 02:18:47 PM
Been watching this for a while.  I know there had been some interest in "Puss in Boots", but has anyone claimed her?

If not, may I?

Someone had but I had wanted it to be the real thing and not a descendant of Puss like their interpretation, so they dropped out. It's yours if you want it! Please join!

Pretty pweeze?

AribethAmkiir

No descendant?  I'll PM you my thought and we'll see if it's a go.

Mathim

Well if the tales are about the actual characters (or an interpretation of them), it makes little sense to open up the possibility of relatives or descendants because we'd end up with something unrecognizable in most cases, so for the moment it would seem best to keep it based on the original tales' characters, good and bad.