Neon Genesis Evangelion

Started by Haibane, July 09, 2008, 05:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

EDIT - 06 NOV 2009:

This is an old game that was started but fell by the wayside. I'm looking to resurrect this. Please see the end of the thread for the latest ideas.

Lithos

Well, have to say that NGE is one of my favourite series.

What time in series would this be happening?

Also... what would be your character preference... There is one character in the series that I appreciate above everything else, but nice plot dealing with him might be... tricky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Xu1Id0iPc

Pm if you think that there could be something interesting to be made with him though :P

I would prefer Anime version as well, on the countrary to many other series, manga sucks compared to anime in this case.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

WyldRanger

Eva is my second favorite anime of all time...second only to Wolf's Rain, but WR doesn't have much in the way of erotic potential, but NGE certainly does :) So count me in if you're still interested and it doesn't get taken. Favorite characters are Asuka, Shinji, Toji and Hikari to give you some idea.

Haibane

Thanks for both your replies... I'm just out of bed 1st thing in th emorning and getting my quick forum fix! Need shower and brekky - and work :( So I will answer you both tonight; we might have potential for a 3-way game... Do either of you know if an NGE RP has been done before on here?

@ Lithos : Gendo - urhhh, scary man - very scary, I think he's one of the most sinister baddies ever in anime *shudders* although that's not a bad thing. I mean an erotic RP between him and his obvious victim - Rei - has potential.

In the series of course the children are all aged 14, so we will simply HAVE to bend the canon background and make them all 18, we just have to to get around site rules, other than that... I will go think more today and reply later.

Lithos

Might add that Gendo and ritsuko were canon couple as well, that was implied in many scenes throughout the series. Her mother before her as well, when NERV was still geherin, after the incident with Unit01 prototype happened, and after Gendo realized what he would have to become and do.

And gendo has really difficult and hard task to do. He had two options pretty much:

Do nothing and let Seele get control of the Project E and with their coersion, in the end, world

Head Project E himself, become ruthless and powerful enough to fuck both SEELE and Angels, and try to get things end to instrumentality where he can have his old life and wife back, and world as it used to be

He is definitely not a nice man, he is cunning and he is ruthless. He is working for what he (and actually me too) honestly thinks is lesser of the two evils though, and failure results in wiping of both mankind and his own chance of any sort of redemption so I think that he has pretty damn good reason for being ruthless as well (Fuytsuki I think is about only person who actually understands that at all).

Rei... I am of the school of people who actually do think that Gendo saw her as his daughter.. and that it was the reason why her genetic donor was who it was. Not that I cannot give that thinking up for plots sake but that is what I think about their relationship OOC. 
--

Mathim

I'm currently downloading the anime...I wonder if I'll like it? Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lithos

Lots of things to discover if you watch through all of it. I did not really like it at start, but I became very attached to it later. And it has something new to find out after several times of watching. Cannot say that of many other series.
--

Haibane

Hi Mathim ;)

Someone who watches anime and hasn't seen NGE? I'm shocked! Every anime fan needs to watch NGE at least once. To me its the finest anime series ever made.

NGE needs at least 2 complete viewings I think - the first time you are going, "Um, okay... teen boy pilots mech and saves the world with a couple of babes in his harem... hm, right..." until half way thru, then at about Ep.13 you sit up and go "Whoa! This isn't what I thought it was!" and then it gets MUCH more interesting.

You also need to watch the movie "End of Evangelion" which offers a 'real world' ending as an alternative to the 'metaphysical' ending in the original Eps.25 and 26.

Haibane

Thread moved to "Players Wanted" as I think this will be better if its a group game.

So, here's my rambling junk of ideas so far:

I usually take pre-game planning off to PMs at once, but as three of you have replied we might be able to do a multi-player game, and if we chat here, others might see and want to join.

My original idea was a 1-on-1 at the very end of the last movie where Shinji and Asuka awake on the beach and start afresh, a whole new life; Hideaki Anno doesn’t tell us anything about the world they’ve woken up in so we could create any kind of setting we like and Shinji having gone through all that and learned so much would not be such a total wet. He’d have some self-confidence. Asuka too by that point wouldn’t be such a total cow either. ;)

(Hm, I really dislike the totally wet useless Shinji, in End of Evangelion he was... a complete waste of space. He wouldn't be much fun to RP either I don't think.)

But now that Lithos has mentioned Gendo and Xana the other school kids my mind has gone into overdrive… :P

I guess the ultimate game would be to have every major character represented; to reset the story universe so the kids are not 14 year olds in their last year of middle school but 18 year olds in their last year of high school (Elliquiy site rules and all that) and set the game somewhere in the middle of the series during one of the quiet times between angel attacks and before Asuka goes into clinical depression.

We could slant the story onto a sexual level by having Ritsuko and Gendo agree that the best way to get the pilots synch rates up is to allow them to fully explore their sexualities…

Then just set the characters loose and let them talk, play, fight, and whatever they want in any pairings or three-ings they wish ^_^

NGE has such an awesome potential for relationships, hm? If you’re a fan you’re bound to have read some of the fanfiction…

Shinji/Rei/Asuka (any combo of two of them or all three in a heap)
Hikari/Toji
Misato/Ryoji
Gendo/Rei (ugh, makes my skin crawl, but hey… so what?)
Ritsuko/Gendo
Ritsuko/Maya
Asuka/Ryoji
Shinji/Misato
Ritsuko and any of the kids (some intensive medical testing needs doing…)
Misato and any (or all) of the kids (Gendo moves Rei into Misato’s apartment on the pretext of increasing competition between the three pilots and raising their synch rates) – this is the well known ‘Shinji’s Harem’ scenario :D

Other possibles…

Gendo/Fuyutski (erm…)
Gendo/Ryoji (well, Kaji Ryoji does play the double agent, he could seriously commit to a deep cover for this one…)
Kensuke/any of the girls
Maya/Makoto (or Aoba)
A weekend camping trip with Shinji/Toji/Kensuke/Asuka/Rei/Hikari… hmm, could be fun.

If we make it near the end of the series we get the awesomely yummy Kaworu, hmmm… sexy boy.

Oh, the possibilities… :P

Here’s a full list of characters we just set all the school children to age 18 and set the year our RP is set in to 2019. Everything else can stay the same.

I also especially like the Girlfriend of Steel game which introduces the very cute Mana Kirishima, I think she’s particularly pretty.

Also a useful episode list.

@ Lithos: But if you’d like a 1 on 1 with you playing Gendo, I guess I could play Rei or Ritsuko, Rei being my favourite character in the series. ;)

@ Xana: if you’d like a 1 on 1 I’d be happy to play any of the female schoolkids if you wanted to play one of the boys.

I’d be looking for accurate in-character play in all cases though a Shinji with a weeny bit more backbone would be OK ;)

But with three or more of us it would be cool to do a multi-player game. I could be persuaded to break my own rule and play more than one character if I did this. But... but... need more ladies!

Or we could cook-up an alternative side story of some kind, perhaps one of the alternative universes we see in Shinji’s head in episode 26 which uses the basic characters only with altered personalities in a normal world (i.e. no angels, no SEELE, no NERV, etc.)

Pilots:
First Children: Ayanami Rei
Second Children: Soryu, Asuka Langley
Third Children: Ikari Shinji
Fourth Children: Suzuhara Toji
Fifth Children: Nagisa Kaworu
Sixth (?) Children: Kirishima Mana = maybe

NERV Staff:
Commander Ikari Gendo
Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki Kōzō
Captain (later Major, later Lt. Colonel) Katsuragi Misato
Chief of Science Division Akagi Ritsuko
NERV Special Inspector Kaji Ryoji
First Lieutenant Hyūga Makoto
First Lieutenant Ibuki Maya
First Lieutenant Aoba Shigeru

Others:
Aida Kensuke
Horaki Hikari

Lets start throwing ideas around!

VandalSavage

I write to express my pronounced excitement over the development of this story here on Ellliquiy.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of the most unexpected delights and remarkable masterpieces I have enjoyed in my time viewing anime.  I feel it to be the "Twin Peaks" of anime - a series that plays on formulaic themes, advancing a quirky story with distinct characters to a fascinating, surreal, unexpectedly philosophical climax.

Though time constraints refuse me an opportunity to participate myself, I very much look forward to seeing what you all produce.

Lithos

Oh, and Haibane. If you enjoy NGE fanfiction. If you want to do yourself a huge favour and have not allready... read everything written by Random1377. His stuff is very well made and thought provoking. And I think you will quite like some of the themes.
--

Lithos

Other of my eternal favourites in series is none other than Kaji actually. Allmost up there with Gendo :)

--

Lithos

One way that I could see us going with this would make it AU. That would open up huge amount of possibilities and would make the thing a bit more.. plausible. On canon verse, we could start from near the beginning, and let the story go its own way. Perhaps see if things would end up a bit differently. Endless amount of possibilities in EVA verse really so this will be really really hard desicion :(
--

Mathim

I hate when people hype anime like that, it's such bullshit. People did that with Fullmetal Alchemist and I was seriously disappointed in it, it's nowhere near as good as people say. Same with Cowboy Bebop. They're all right, but nothing super-spectacular. And the thing I'm downloading has all the NGE episodes and movies, so I'll be able to see all of it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. Usually I don't like mech-type stuff.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lithos

I think it is the very fact of having to look for what other people see in something. If you do not like mecha type stuff, I would say that there is pretty high chance that you do not like EVA since that is one of the parts of its framework. Also it is old series and visuals and sounds are not quite on par with current ones. You will know after a while, either like it or really do not like it, you will find out which it is pretty soon :)

Wether it is series, movie, book, painting, it only feels really good when you discover something about it yourself. Looking for things others say they see in them gets old pretty quick.
--

Haibane

Quote from: Mathim on July 10, 2008, 09:36:08 PM
I hate when people hype anime like that, it's such bullshit.
::) It's their opinion and they're entitled to be enthusiastic.

To me it's not hype, hype is saying something is good before it'e released. You hype up an upcoming film to get viewing figures up.

I just love NGE ^_^ It's an unusually deep story, I've seen it about 12 times now and each time I really do see something new, tiny things that still make me feel fuzzy when I find them...

NGE is one of those series that a person rarely feels 'okay' about, I've found you either love it or hate it. But I didn't make this thread so we could go foaming off about it. I'm pretty sure we won't have enough people interested to do the series story justice and replaying the main story is not what I'm interested in doing. I should confess the main attarction of the game would focus around the 'Shinji Harem' idea: Misato, Shinji, Asuka, Rei - people like Ritsuko and Kaji too possibly, but so far lack of other female players is the issue that might sink the ship and reduce us to a 1 on 1 or something.

Haibane

Still looking for one more player, preferably male. PMs to me please. Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, any number of players could conceivably join, ladies too.

Canuckian

Which character are you still looking for?

Haibane

We did have three of us and were planning a Kaji-Asuka-Shinji triangle, or a Kaji-Misato-Shinji one. We had quite firm plots sorted out for these. I only play females and then one guy dropped out so the remaining player preferred Kaji. So we are looking for a Shinji player. I do not mind if he is a tiny bit more inspired than he is the anime... in fact I find that in the early episodes he seems more confident than he later becomes. We were thinking of setting the story around the time of "Dance Like You Want To...." and "Magma Diver", before it gets very angsty and Asuka loses it and Kaji gets in too deep with his double agenting.

Now, if you don't wish to play Shinji, feel free to suggest another male, though sadly we are limited.

Gendo to me is a no-no, I just find him too... unnerving, freaky, odd. He's one of the finest anime baddies of all time but he truly makes my skin crawl!

Canuckian

Hmm.  Not sure about the pairings you mentioned, so I'll have to think about it.

And I happen to think that Gendo is one of the most interesting characters ever in a show.  He's mean, nasty, cruel, vicious, rotten, and so evil that even the Devil wants nothing to do with him... and yet, he's the best person for his job of saving the planet.  He is by far the right person, in the right place, at the right time.  And this is coming from a guy  who thinks that Eva took a serious nose-dive after episode 18 and how both movies sucked hard :)

Haibane

I don't really wish to discuss opinions on the show... we nearly had the thread hijacked by someone else. I agree with you Gendo is fantastic, I agree with everything you say about him... but he still creeps me out and makes me feel very uncomfortable because he does what he does so well and so singlemindedly. I just could not RP opposite a Gendo character if you paid me ;)

As I said, we'd be wanting to set the game in the early to middle parts of the story before things got very angsty and complicated, while the characters are in a lighter mood generally.

Although, if you have your ideas on an RP story line for two male characters and one female, please let us have your suggestions! I even feel confident I could RP Ayanami fully in character ;)

Canuckian

I'm more of an m/f/f type of guy.  Call me sexist if you want, but it's true :p

And playing Ayanmi shouldn't be hard.  Just be prepaired to use lots of elipses :p

Haibane

Quote from: Canuckian on July 19, 2008, 06:03:23 PM
I'm more of an m/f/f type of guy.  Call me sexist if you want, but it's true :p
The problem is Elliquiy is stuffed full of those... trying to find guys willing to play m/f/m is like looking for an IT person willing to talk about anything but computers ;)

(If you happen to be an IT person and you are able to talk about other subjects you'll know that was a joke... ;) )

Haibane

This game is recruiting again. The original planning session stalled when one key player became too busy, but there are three of us now free again (yay!) and while we did originally decide on a 3-player game I thought I'd open this up to see if anyone else wishes to join.

The game will be set around the time in the series before or during "Dance Like You Want To...." and "Magma Diver", which is the happy, successful buoyant part of the story. It'll be between angel attacks and will focus on training and testing for the pilots.

So far we have:

Haibane = Asuka
Xana = Shinji
Lithos = Kaji

If you're a fan of the series, drop in and let us know if you're interested. Thank you.

Elohim

I might be able to play Rei...

The Great Triangle

I'm willing to play Gendo!

*puts on a pair of glasses, leans until they catch the light, crosses his hands under his chin*
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Hunter

No, I obviously have no idea what you're talking about.   ;)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13857.0

And yes, I'm an IT person who can talk about other things than computers.   :P

Haibane

I really wanted to avoid Gendo (see upper sections of this thread!).

Thanks for the replies. How confident are you about playing Rei, Seraph? I would think she is the hardest NGE character to play, more so than Shinji, you'd have to be so restrained, you'd need to post quite a lot but internalize much of it yet still not give much away...

Hunter - have you a character that appeals to you? There are not many roles for males in the game unfortunately.

Elohim

I think I’m actually well suited for playing her character, a good portion of my pcs boarder on emotionally distant if not downright emotionally lacking.  I have a special fondness in my heart for mechanical characters, and while I know Rei herself isn’t one she’s influenced the way I play them.  I also have a rather wide submissive streak that’s really not particularly sexual. Still, if your kind of iffy about handing me the reigns to her character I do understand, but... if you do let me in I think Gendo is an essential character, if she’s going to be involved and I would feel particularly relaxed with Great Triangle was the one playing him.

Hunter

Quote from: Haibane on November 14, 2008, 02:14:36 AM
Hunter - have you a character that appeals to you? There are not many roles for males in the game unfortunately.

Canon characters?  I'd have to check the cast of characters to find one not taken already.  Most of the cast isn't in my normal scope of playing interest.

Haibane

Quote from: Seraph on November 14, 2008, 02:32:07 AM
I think I’m actually well suited for playing her character, a good portion of my pcs boarder on emotionally distant if not downright emotionally lacking.  I have a special fondness in my heart for mechanical characters, and while I know Rei herself isn’t one she’s influenced the way I play them.  I also have a rather wide submissive streak that’s really not particularly sexual. Still, if your kind of iffy about handing me the reigns to her character I do understand, but... if you do let me in I think Gendo is an essential character, if she’s going to be involved and I would feel particularly relaxed with Great Triangle was the one playing him.
Hi Seraph. OK, lets go for it. You have the part. GT is in quite a few of my games, we go back a long way... I like his style. Hi GT *grins and waves madly* But sometimes he can be a bit too out there for my taste. Can't you GT? *hugs*

But if Great Triangle promises to play a canon Gendo and not the cross dressing gay Gendo we didn't get to see in the series... that's fine.  ;) I know you know I get nervous around some of your characters GT... ;)

Hi Hunter:

Shinji (taken)
Koji
Kensuke
Kaji (taken)
Gendo (taken)
Fuyutsuki
Hyuga
Aoba

The game will be set before Kaoru appears. So, sadly not much to choose from. NGE is a female-centric story. For the purposes of my game plot Koji (as pilot) and the two NERV Lieutenants fit best.

If we expand the cast further its female players I'm looking for - the game really needs a Katsuragi and to a lesser extent an Akagi. Hm, thinking about it, if I'm going to expand the game beyond the three characters I have, Misato is the next most important, then Rei, because a lot of scenes will be set in the Katsuragi apartment.

The Great Triangle

Don't worry.  I like cannon Gendo.  *winks*  He's going to be tricky to write in first person though...

The main idea I have for the direction to take the Gendo/Rei relationship is how little sex they're having, the point being to create a horrifying sort of dysfunctional (yet frighteningly vanilla) relationship between them. 

I might inject a bit of Dr. Frankenstein into Gendo, but  mostly I'll be researching the character rather carefully, as I do every cannon character I play.  :) 

Ons and Offs

Haibane

Hello GT *hugs* I hope you're feeling better?

Okies, before you get planning the roles I have a plot written. There is a main premise to the game, its not just "create a thread, drop Gendo, Rei, Shinji et al in it and go for it". I want to structure this a fair bit, which is why I said a Misato and a Ritsuko are kinda important to have.

In fact... hmmm... Misato is really critical. Gah *is annoyed more woman don't like NGE*

I will probably write a first post summarising 'the story so far' as regards a certain job Gendo gives Kaji (and Misato if we get a player for her) which will be prompted by a report Ritsuko gives Gendo. After that you need to set off along the plot in accordance with his premise. Its free form, you can do as you wish but there's a main (adult themed) backstory.

Oh yeah, and we're going to time step the entire canon time line forwards 24 months so all the pilots and school mates are 16 and not 14 (for site rule reasons). Nothing else at all changes, the whole NGE story just takes place in 2016 instead of 2014.

Elohim

Gay cross dressing Gendo would be awesome in a parody though...  *ponders*

Thanks Haibane.

Okay, I'm pretty into this idea, but who's left for the girls? I'm fairly rusty, and the only girl I can immediately remember is Maya Ibuki (I think that's her name.) I'd be interested in playing here, a little vanilla for my tastes, but still.

Hunter

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain.  But where are we going to find stretch pants in our size?"

I'm going to request Hyuga as he's about the closest that I can manage at this point.

Haibane

Thanks Hunter, I like Hyuga too, and he'll have his uses. He's the one who has a crush on Misato, right? The guitar player?

Hi karmatrik! Nice to see you. Misato is the one I really need ATM, she'll have a major role to play. I can see role-playing an alcoholic rudderless extrovert lonely woman in command of the most powerful military weapons on earth might not be everyone's cup of tea, but would you consider it? But if you are happy with Ibuki I guess she may be able to play off against Hyuga in some way.

Lacking her, Ritsuko is the other woman we need most. She has potential for some... interesting scenes I think.

PILOTS
Rei = Seraph
Shinji = Xana
Asuka = Haibane

NERV PERSONNEL
Gendo = Great Triangle
Fuyutsuki
Misato
Ritsuko
Kaji = Lithos
Hyuga = Hunter
Aoba
Ibuki

OTHERS
Koji
Kensuke
Hikari

I put Koji in the 'others' bracket as the game will be set in the period before he is selected for pilot.

PhantomPistoleer

Mathim, EVERYONE loves NGE.  But then, towards the end, you start wondering what the creators were smoking, because the last few episodes seem more like cop outs than actual endings.  You will have to watch the movie to see a legitimate ending, and even that ending is questionable.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

I think I'd probably have an easier time with Misato than with Ritsuko - and shame on me for forgetting both of them! :P Yeah, I'd be interested in Misato.

And, Mathim - there was a train station disaster IRL (I think) around episode 16 that caused them to completely change the course of the show. What we got was not the original intended ending, and the creators have since disavowed any idea that it was supposed to make sense. EoE was not a better ending, either. What I'm curious about though, is the new movies. Not only are they supposed to have new characters and scenes, but a new, completely different ending. The new movies are also being designed to make more sense. So, I'm intrigued by that, as Evangelion has hands down one of the best aesthetics in modern media, an entire stable of interesting characters, and a lot of potential that was squandered by their decision to prize meaningless psychobabble over coherence. /rant :D

Haibane

Quote from: karmatrik on November 15, 2008, 08:16:48 AM
I think I'd probably have an easier time with Misato than with Ritsuko - and shame on me for forgetting both of them! :P Yeah, I'd be interested in Misato.
Fantastic! Yay! We have a Misato! That makes things much more fun!

Er... you do do F/F don't you? As well as variations involving M's? Some F/F is going to be essential in here. Think of it as a rude doujin version of the Kaji-Asuka-Shinji-Misato-Rei-anyone-else-you-can-think-of-going-at-it-like-rabbits-with-a-moderately-beleivable-plotline set up.

I hadn't heard of any train crash affecting the show's production? I have certainly heard of Anno Hideaki's mood swings and the show going badly over-budget as the main reasons the ending was...different. However I must be about the only person on the planet who loved the original ending, completely 'got it' the first time I saw it and didn't need (though I very much enjoyed) the various movie endings. To the otaku who daubed excrement on Gainax's front door and sent Anno hate mail, I can however sympathize.

*laughs* Yep! I'm rather flexible with my gender distributions.

For how I felt about the ending: For reference... I despise Space Runaway Ideon. If you don't know what that is, that's fine, lol. But don't get me wrong. Eva is pretty much #1 for me in terms of the design and characters, and the first 15 episodes or so stand tall among anime. *chuckles* Same deal with Gurren Lagann, actually. Maybe Gainax oughta go down to half-season shows.

WyldRanger

This is hard for me to do, but I think I'll have to back out of this once again.  :-[ I'm terribly sorry, but circumstances outside of my control are going to be limiting my access here so it looks like you'll have to re-cast Shinji...

I'm terribly sorry since I thought things were looking up, but seems that they are not...

Hunter

Quote from: karmatrik on November 15, 2008, 10:14:04 AM
*laughs* Yep! I'm rather flexible with my gender distributions.

For how I felt about the ending: For reference... I despise Space Runaway Ideon. If you don't know what that is, that's fine, lol. But don't get me wrong. Eva is pretty much #1 for me in terms of the design and characters, and the first 15 episodes or so stand tall among anime. *chuckles* Same deal with Gurren Lagann, actually. Maybe Gainax oughta go down to half-season shows.

I dunno.   They get them right occasionally.   I suspect they have a bad case of "rushed production" on their hands.

Haibane

Quote from: Xana on November 16, 2008, 09:17:26 PM
This is hard for me to do, but I think I'll have to back out of this once again.  :-[ I'm terribly sorry, but circumstances outside of my control are going to be limiting my access here so it looks like you'll have to re-cast Shinji...

I'm terribly sorry since I thought things were looking up, but seems that they are not...

Hm... drat. Ah, well, it can't be helped. I'm very sorry to hear that, Xana but take care and come back when you can.

Hunter - can you/do you want to play Shinji?

Just wanted to note that I've begun rewatching Eva today - it's been years. I also plan to follow it immediately with RahXephon to finally get the direct comparo I always wanted. :P

Haibane

Yay! There's dedicated RP research for you! We'll be playing around the time of just after "Dance Like You Want To..." which is one of the more fun, lighthearted parts of the story.

The Great Triangle

I can play Shinji if it's neccesary, although I was looking forward to playing Gendo.  Shinji is emotionally distant and neurotic enough to be used as an NPC, but the same could be said double of Gendou-san.  (Although Rei is still a pretty playable character even without a PC Gendo.)

Ons and Offs

Hunter

Quote from: Haibane on November 17, 2008, 12:43:39 AM
Hunter - can you/do you want to play Shinji?

Shinji doesn't interest me, actually.

All we have to do for Shinji is assume he'll whine out loud, complain under his breath, cry until the moment comes and berserker the enemy to oblivion.

The Great Triangle

Ons and Offs

Haibane

Hm... Shinj is really key to the game, sadly. Originally there were three of us and it was going to be a Kaji-Shinji-Asuka game. Shinji in fact is THE lead character in this plot. Bum.

And yes, he's hard to play, though I would hope he'd grow in confidence as a result of his, ahem, experiences in the game.

I'm not looking for the catatonic Shiji that we saw hide under staircases waiting to be shot in "End of..." more like the curious Shinji from the early episodes of the series, the Shinji who tried to talk to Rei and attempt to get on with Asuka (a little) etc.

The Great Triangle

Frankly, I don't think that sexual expeience would do much to help resolve Shinji's issues.  (although it might help Asuka and perhaps Rei.)  Shinji's problems go deeper than his sexual frustration, and he's unlikely to break out of becoming an entirely passive character just from losing his virginity.  Keep in mind that Asuka's flaw is that she's too insecure in the way she interacts with people and Rei's flaw is that she doesn't interact with people.  Meanwhile, Shinji's problem is that he refuses to interact meaningfully with others, never making an effort to get what he wants and complaining when he doesn't get it. 

The reason for this is the death of his mother and the emotional distance of his father, which led him to conclude that the best way to do things was to give everyone else what they want, since his desires aren't important.  Asuka, in losing her mother, concluded that she had to be the best at everything to have any value, otherwise she would be abandoned and rejected.  Meanwhile, Rei, through dying for the first time, began to believe that she had no desires. 

In other words, Rei needs a hug, Asuka needs to be told to chill out, and Shinji needs a slap in the face.   ;D 

Shinji's head isn't too hard to get into though.  Not nearly as hard as Gendo's anyway.  :)

Ons and Offs

Haibane

Um, it's not THAT serious a game.

EDIT: I stole the idea from a fanfic...

Come on, Haibane! Everyone knows Gendou is serious business.  ;D Oh crap, it's Gendou! *dooboo booda dum shish*

The Great Triangle

Hehe, alright.  :)

(Is bad at keeping porn plots going.  XD)

Ons and Offs

Haibane

So... anyone seen any potential Shijis on E recently?

*drums fingers on desk*

The Great Triangle

Grinninghound and Sabbat were discussed as canidates, but Hound only plays original characters and Sabbat doesn't particularly like anime. 

Ons and Offs

Tyki Mikk is willing to watch the show and try to get the character down.

Hunter

I prefer original characters with Eva.  The canon ones either need to be smacked senseless (in Shinji's case) or simply have their brains screwed out (like Asuka).  My thoughts on the character's behavior can crop up on another occasion.  :P

Elohim

I'm going to be blunt every time I've seen an OC character in EVA they kind of scream Mary Sue.  They lack the emotional problems which are necessary to the character,  have military combat training,  and tend to be better pilots then Shinji at the end of the show or Asuka near the beginning.

Hunter

Quote from: Seraph on November 17, 2008, 11:57:48 PM
I'm going to be blunt every time I've seen an OC character in EVA they kind of scream Mary Sue.  They lack the emotional problems which are necessary to the character,  have military combat training,  and tend to be better pilots then Shinji at the end of the show or Asuka near the beginning.

lol.

Haibane

Hehehhe now we're seeing the true NGE fan talk starting up ;)

I think 'self insert' got it's original bad name because of so many dire NGE fanfics...  ::)

Um, Shinji, Shinji, where art thou, Shinji...?

Hunter

Quote from: Haibane on November 18, 2008, 12:34:40 AM
Hehehhe now we're seeing the true NGE fan talk starting up ;)

I think 'self insert' got it's original bad name because of so many dire NGE fanfics...  ::)

Um, Shinji, Shinji, where art thou, Shinji...?

All right, all right.  I'll do it.  But only if he gets to do Asuka.  :P

*giggles* He might get to do Misato too.

The Great Triangle

*folds hands under chin*

All according to plan.

*light glints off glasses*

Ons and Offs

*looks behind at Gendou, suspiciously, before looking back at the monitors*

The Great Triangle

*sits silently at his desk, carefully watching the latest attack, or possibly taking a nap.  It's hard to tell*

Ons and Offs

Hunter

*steals the car keys and goes joyriding*

Haibane

Hunter! Thank you! Whooo! *insane glompy type hugs* OK, we are good to go. We have no Ritsuko yet but I can NPC her a bit I think. Let me set up some threads and do a main intro post. Actually I'll do the threads now... links in a minute...

Hunter

Long is good! I'm not at ep 9 yet! T-T

Haibane

Intro post won't be until tomorrow now... *goes screengrab hunting to set the scene a bit*

Hunter

Quote from: Haibane on November 18, 2008, 05:26:21 PM
Intro post won't be until tomorrow now... *goes screengrab hunting to set the scene a bit*

Oh.   Okay.

*wanders off for a bit*

Lithos

Edited after chance to test evil game:

Unfortunately I will most likely have to bow out of this. The evil of all evils, wrath of the lich king WOW expansion has sort of sucked me in, and between juggling with work and having enough time to run the guild, I will be too occupied to offer long and regular enough posts.
--

Haibane

You know Lithos, this is going to be a MUCH more enjoyable investment of your time than silly old WoW  :D You can play WoW anytime, it will always be there, how hard is it to pull together 5 or 6 NGE fans to RP a game, hm? Hm...?  ;)

Come, do the right thing and play here, I've just spent a week working to get this game going again for you and there's a real treat coming, I promise... and now the other original player and now you are BOTH dropping out. Gyaahhh!  :-[

Please think again... *wink*

Elohim

Come on Lithos,  just shift back and fourth...  this game has promise!

Gotta go with Haibane, Lithos. It would really suck if you left.

Tyki Mikk

I'm interested in possibly playing if you have a spot available. I'm currently watching all the episodes and should be done in a few days. I could give Kaji a shot if no one else wants to.

Haibane

Thanks Tyki, yes it looks like our Kaji player has become busy with other things.  :'( I appreciate you stepping in at short notice *hugs*

We may even have a Ritsuko now... I'm talking with someone via PMs so we are good to go.

I'll set up some threads and write the backstory/intro scene today or tonight hopefully. Definitely tomorrow if not.

Hm... okay. So, what is the format going to be exactly? We branch off from a spot and do our own character development, with the Angels attacking in the same order? And what sort of tone are we setting here? (serious, psychological, comical, etc)

Haibane

Sadly we are looking to replace our Shinji player, our current person, though perfect is busy IRL so any NGE fans out there who think you can RP Shinji, please drop me a PM. Males only please. Thanks.

Bumpin' this. We need a Shinji!

WyldRanger

Since ya'll are still looking for a Shinji and I keep getting hounded about it from both karma & Haibane, I give in to the peer pressure and dive head in to the insecure mind of Shinji Ikari :)

(Just give me a little while to read up on what's happened and all to refresh myself from what we all agreed in the first place)

So, yes, you may dance...the original Shinji will be returning  :D

Elohim

TickTockMan

Color me confused, but I don't know how'd you do anything erotic with NGE. I mean, The Human Instrumentality Project was pretty funny (due to it being a hentai where everyone is like their canon selves) but erotic I did not find it to be.

Oh well, to each his own.
"You don't respect those people very much, Y.T., because you're young and arrogant. But I don't respect them much either, because I'm old and wise."

The Great Triangle

...I believe that clears up any confusion. 

Ons and Offs

TickTockMan

I - I know but...she's like in a coma, dude!

(Sorry if I ruined anybody's mood. I'm just really curious about this.)
"You don't respect those people very much, Y.T., because you're young and arrogant. But I don't respect them much either, because I'm old and wise."

The Great Triangle

mmm... coma...

Hospital beds are sexy!

*grins*

Ons and Offs

Haibane

INTEREST CHECK RESTART - 06 NOV 2009:

This is an old game that was started but fell by the wayside. I'm looking to resurrect it; to try again with the slant and focus it should have had.

If you don't know what NGE is, you may stop reading now. Thanks but you need to be a real fan for this to work, the more obsessed the better.

If you do, and you think you might be interested in an RP based on it or a possible side story off it involving a few of the main characters (M/F, F/F, M/F/M and F/M/F) please PM me ;)

A few guidelines:

I'm not comfortable with cross-gender play.
I'd like the game to be played in the first person, omniscient, past tense.
The game would be faithful to the anime universe and characters (I have not read the manga) up to a point. One of those points is the age of the child-pilots will be raised from 14 to 16 for reasons that should be blindingly obvious.
I'd be looking for a decent bit of character interaction/development/plot and not just, you know... stuff.
Male characters will be hetero (but not averse to groups involving two males), female characters will all be bi.
You are a huge NGE fan; obsessed with it even.
Um... that's it.  ;D

The game will only need Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Kaji and possibly Misato. Other characters will be NPC'd, Misato too maybe, we'll see.

The premise remains the same as my earlier idea and is based (sorry, I mean brutally plagarised) from a rather poor but very horny doujin I read in which Ritsuko notices that the EVA pilots synchronization ratios go up when they are feeling... um... well, adult. A few tests are done (mostly on Rei and behind the scenes prior to game start) with the result that Ritsuko gathers some data and presents it to Gendo. He agrees to implement a project to develop the... ah... adult leanings of the three EVA pilots in order to enhance their combat potential.

Rei of course happily undergoes Ritsuko's testing without objection while in order to stimulate Shinji's interest Kaji is enrolled as his mentor, to, um... go out and do it. A lot. Since all the pilots need to experience heightened, um... adult tendencies it seems a no-brainer to Gendo that good subjects for Shinji to become acclimatised with would be Rei and Asuka. Or Misato... and, well, you see where this is going.

I think the story is best set in the 'happy times' phase of the anime, around episodes 10-12 when Asuka is a brash, confident egotist and not yet sliding down into her pit of self-loathing; when Rei seems to be coming out of her shell and when Shinji hasn't started doing his resigning and crawling away and hiding thing. Its the time in the series I think Asuka is beginning to maybe think Shinji might be worth teasing for those reasons; when Shinji is continually having hot-boy thoughts about both female pilots plus of course Misato; and Misato and Kaji are kinda on good terms. This take on the relationships that occur mostly within Misato's apartment seems to have the most potential around 'Magma Diver' or just before.

The basic idea is comedic, or at the very least upbeat and light-hearted. Nothing too dark, not too much drama. The key character is Kaji. I need a player to take Kaji and play him to overacted levels of confidence, dry humour, fast wit and those devilish girl-melting sideways glances. Kaji will really be the king-pin that holds this game together so his role is key. Kaji should spend time with Shinji explaining things and then getting him and Rei to do... stuff. At the same time he might also speak with (and demonstrate stuff to) Asuka but on the other hand Misato might be a player character to coach Asuka.

My preferred role in this is Asuka and I'd really like to see the other characters played well and believably but with an added flippant or humorous edge.