News:

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Paladin, February 06, 2010, 09:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Ok Being a big trek fan, I broke down and bought this game a few days ago. I bought the awsome collectors edition and can't want till it arrives. Has anyone played STO yet? How is it, and what would you rate it? Whats the cool and the not so cool?

Miss Arha

All the Star Trek games that I have played turned out to be awful, but this one shows some promise. I hope the away mission gameplay is good though. The flying about would need the avatar side of the things to be good as well. :P

HairyHeretic

My Guild is quite impressed with it, so much so that 13 of the 21 who have registered as playing it have lifetime memberships :)

Once I get the fans in my machine sorted, I'll be doing more than looking at it very quickly (and hoping whatever was causing the crashes on my other games doesn't keep doing it here).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paladin

wait, how much is a Lifetime membership?

HairyHeretic

$300ish. I'm not sure if they're still running them though, it may have been a pre-order only thing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

umm damn. Yea I think I'll just buy time cards and stuff, but I will take a look.

HairyHeretic

Depending on what subscription you sign up for, thats still about 18-24 months, give or take. Play it that long, and you've got your moneys worth out of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52453/Star-Trek-Online-Lifetime-Subscription-Offers-Few-Perks

Hmm I think I will buy a 12 month subscription. thats not too bad sounding. 120$ rather than 180$ is a fairly good deal.

Paladin

hmm the 6 month subscrption isn;t bad at 78$ Full price would be 90$

HairyHeretic

Once I'm up and running I intend to play the Federation size just long enough to unlock the Klingons, then switch :)

Klingon War Song

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Miss Arha

I played that game - it was real fun. Prob the best of the ST games. Just because I loved Gowron's character. I hate how they developed his character in NG. OMG my Trekkie geekiness is oozing out in public.

Eeep.

Xenophile

Maaaan, I wish I could get my nerdy hands on this. It looks so swell and grand!
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

ChrisF

Man, I really wish I could play...Alas, I have but a Macbook.

Miss Arha

Quote from: ChrisF on February 06, 2010, 08:44:24 PM
Man, I really wish I could play...Alas, I have but a Macbook.

Me too, but it is probably a good thing. Would only have another addiction in life. Hehe
8-)

ChrisF

Quote from: Arha on February 06, 2010, 08:45:12 PM
Me too, but it is probably a good thing. Would only have another addiction in life. Hehe
8-)
Eh, I could live with that.

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 06, 2010, 02:03:58 PM
Once I'm up and running I intend to play the Federation size just long enough to unlock the Klingons, then switch :)

Klingon War Song

Umm from what I read Hairy, you can play as either the Klingons OR the Federation from the start. The Borg are supposed to be the unlockable thing.

Miss Arha

I would choose the Klingons any day of the week. :)

HairyHeretic

Borg you only get on some of the pre-order packs. It's a Liberated Borg for your character.

I believe that you have to get to about level 5 or so before you can play a Klingon. I don't recall seeing an option to play a Klingon on the character creator when I created my liberated Borg :)

Edit - I had another quick look, and at the moment I only have the option to create a Federation character.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

hgb

You have to have a level 6 character to make a Klingon. I've been playing since beta. It's a fun enough game, but they rushed the production on it. It shouldn't have been released, probably until a month or so later, but what can you do?

Through updates and patches I think it will turn out to be a great game. Until then, be prepared to deal with bugs.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

So I just found out that along with STO, 2 other packages of mine are being held by UPS because THEY screwed up my address. I have to call them tomorrow and get it all sorted out. This is utterly rediculouse.

Paladin

Well its here in my hands now. I'm just updating my video Drivers so I get best possible video performance. I went ahead and paid for a 3 month subscription.

hgb

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 07, 2010, 07:12:20 PM
Every MMO has bugs :)

That is true, I just find these to be more profound than I believe a polished game should have, though they are patching the game twice a week or so, and fixing the bugs as I find them. It is nice to see that they are putting effort to correct some things. Now if only there were more Klingons online for PvP, then life would work out nicely.

Le RandomBloke

I'm a bit worried about this game, I bought the company's other MMO called Champions Online, looked like it could be amazing. It was actually damn fun too, but every several weeks after launch I spent more time staring at a could not connect screen than actually playing the game. According to a mate though it looked like it was going better, however, I'm going to wait it out and see if people will still like it after a month or so.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

HairyHeretic

Quote from: hgb on February 14, 2010, 12:46:23 AM
That is true, I just find these to be more profound than I believe a polished game should have, though they are patching the game twice a week or so, and fixing the bugs as I find them. It is nice to see that they are putting effort to correct some things. Now if only there were more Klingons online for PvP, then life would work out nicely.

As soon as I get a working machine again, there will be ;)

I'll play Federation as long as it takes to unlock the Klingons, then that will be me switching.

Cattle die, kinsmen die