What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Actually, I never did like Mass Effect 2 that much... It had the misfortune of having to stack up to Mass Effect 2 :/ the shooting was good, but not great, I personally preferred the powers from the first game. Gameplay over all was just average, but then again, Mass Effect 1 wasn't the best shooter anyway, so the biggest factor for me was story.

Both games were amazing when it came to dialogue and characterization, but comparing the two for overall plot is just not even fair dude. Mass Effect had a handful of massive bombshells dropped on you at all the right times, the pacing was near perfect in areas, the villains were creepy and or sympathetic when and where it was needed, and the only issue I had was that the whole Reaper thing was maybe brought in too early and overplayed... Anderson kind of made that stand out x.x but I played Virmire from start to finish in one sitting, without dying, so I've seen the game at its best.

Mass Effect 2, however... it nailed the small time stuff, like characters and optional story arcs, but the main plot had nothing on Mass Effect 1. There is no contest. None whatsoever.

Wyrd

Quote from: abandoneddolly on June 05, 2011, 10:00:07 AM
I'm probbaly going to get in trouble here, but i thought Mass effect 2 was boring. I never even made it through the whole game. Nothing really happens.  I loved Mass effect, and pretty much anything bio ware dose, but I think people like Mass Effect 2,because its a mass effect game.

Thats pretty much my argument. Nothing rally does happen, and when it does it's so stupid or doesn't make sense or just silly and boring.. Not saying it's a bad game over all, but the plot made it somewhat not as great as it so could have been, and like Sabby stated, it had great characters(Some of the most fleshed out and interesting in most movies even) and some of the most fun side stories I've seen in an RPG like this, although, they would have been better and had more of a place in the ME2 story if they were in some way connected to the plot. I still don't see the point in even gaining loyalty and what not, when the last mission has not to much to do with it, but thats another topic all together. 
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on June 04, 2011, 07:47:34 PM*Snipped for brevity*

Look, I could go on for weeks about this. It's what I do, I'm an English major, and I was heavy into deconstructionist theory which is quite awesome when used constructively. All these points are, however, moot. They are as moot as moot can be. I will also submit because I will always lose this argument because of the very nature of fiction. Mass Effect just like The Great Gatsby, Oronoko, Jules Verne's works, and any other fiction you can think up will always fail under such scrutiny. If you apply this much of a microscope to anything, it's hard to imagine you like anything. You're picking the proverbial knit here man. Get some willful suspension of disbelief. It doesn't really detract from the work to the general population, it's sold far too well for that. If you don't like it fine, but this dragging out every little inconsistency is unfair to the people who created it, because in order for it to be perfect it would have to actually be reality.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

1. I don't care if you're an english major or Jedi master I'm a level 75 Paladin on WoW. This is all from the consumer and the players perspective 

2. No need of a microscope to see that the plot is barely there.

3. Popularity = quality? I don't really care how many units it may have sold or how many awards it may have received. It should not affect anyones observations or overall conclusions. I'm only looking at the plot, while everyone else may be looking at it as a whole. Mass Effect 2 combined with graphics, gameplay, characters, loyalty missions and level design is brilliant! But from the stand alone point of Plot and Story telling, it greatly falls short.

4. A story with a plot is created and meant to create a suspension of disbelief for the viewer or reader. When a story stops doing that, the plot then fails. This happens much in the first and last ten minutes. If someone did not notice this or thought other wise they were either, 1) Not paying attention. 2) Didn't care. 3) Invented their own narrative to believe it was a successful story. Or maybe made up some excuses like "It's science fiction!" or maybe "It will be explained later!" Or accusing others of being ME1 fanboys or even telling themselves they don't need every mystery explained. Even worse, accusing others who think differently about the plot that they don't have any imagination, as if it's the players job to patch up the plot themselves.

5. Whats truly unfair to the creator is not having Final say in how the story is told and how long the have to flesh out the plot. (Bioware < EA)

6. No one said it had to be perfect, It doesn't even need to be good. But it should not be fundamentally flawed, such as in this case.       
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 04:11:35 PM
1. I don't care if you're an english major or Jedi master I'm a level 75 Paladin on WoW. This is all from the consumer and the players perspective 

2. No need of a microscope to see that the plot is barely there.

3. Popularity = quality? I don't really care how many units it may have sold or how many awards it may have received. It should not affect anyones observations or overall conclusions. I'm only looking at the plot, while everyone else may be looking at it as a whole. Mass Effect 2 combined with graphics, gameplay, characters, loyalty missions and level design is brilliant! But from the stand alone point of Plot and Story telling, it greatly falls short.

4. A story with a plot is created and meant to create a suspension of disbelief for the viewer or reader. When a story stops doing that, the plot then fails. This happens much in the first and last ten minutes. If someone did not notice this or thought other wise they were either, 1) Not paying attention. 2) Didn't care. 3) Invented their own narrative to believe it was a successful story. Or maybe made up some excuses like "It's science fiction!" or maybe "It will be explained later!" Or accusing others of being ME1 fanboys or even telling themselves they don't need every mystery explained. Even worse, accusing others who think differently about the plot that they don't have any imagination, as if it's the players job to patch up the plot themselves.

5. Whats truly unfair to the creator is not having Final say in how the story is told and how long the have to flesh out the plot. (Bioware < EA)

6. No one said it had to be perfect, It doesn't even need to be good. But it should not be fundamentally flawed, such as in this case.       
So, my point of view is invalid simply because... I've studied the works of fiction, writing, and narrative process? Wow, that seems kind of personal. I kind of get that feeling when point two is basically attacking a turn of phrase.

Look I'm not getting into it, but I know you shouldn't blame EA, it wasn't them who wrote and designed the game. If you want to blame someone blame Bioware. They made it, they created it. They are not going to march down to Bioware and tell them how to run the show. Bioware has too much a pedigree for that. Publishers just back the game. The might have said, "Make it more cover-based and shooty," but it was Bioware who did the story all the way
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on June 05, 2011, 04:35:26 PM
So, my point of view is invalid simply because... I've studied the works of fiction, writing, and narrative process? Wow, that seems kind of personal. I kind of get that feeling when point two is basically attacking a turn of phrase.

I never said you're point was invalid or tried to make it personal, I just didn't care. :/
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 04:50:03 PM
I never said you're point was invalid or tried to make it personal, I just didn't care. :/
Yeah, you're basically saying it doesn't because you can't be bothered to care. Why bother with something if it doesn't matter to you on some level?

Wyrd

Huh? I just don't really think you're education matters to me and has no real impression on my view on the plot of Mass Effect 2. Maybe you want me to give a congratulatory pat on the back for being an English major? Or maybe you want me to tell you that you didn't pay enough attention to the plot of the game? I don't really know what to say. You seem to be avoiding the current discussion so that leads me to believe you may not have a point.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 05:22:06 PM
Huh? I just don't really think you're education matters to me and has no real impression on my view on the plot of Mass Effect 2. Maybe you want me to give a congratulatory pat on the back for being an English major? Or maybe you want me to tell you that you didn't pay enough attention to the plot of the game? I don't really know what to say. You seem to be avoiding the current discussion so that leads me to believe you may not have a point.
You know, I'm probably being a bit too personal about this. I'm dropping it.

abandoneddolly

Im playing wizard 101 which is this stupid kid game. It sort of reminds me of yugio

Inkidu

Quote from: abandoneddolly on June 05, 2011, 05:38:38 PM
Im playing wizard 101 which is this stupid kid game. It sort of reminds me of yugio
I... have been known to enjoy the occasional Yu-Gi-Oh game ROM. XD
I just like card games though. I like strategy and creating unique decks. I'd never buy trading cards anymore. Too many people with too much money and one-turn-win deck guides for my taste.

Wyrd

I'm dying to see what announcements and trailers will be at E3 this year. I just finished playing the Demo for the new Dungeon Siege 3, and so far I can give it an okay, I'm dieing to play more, not to much character customization and I didn't really get into the story, though. I've also got my eye on another action RPG called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Bethesda lead designer(Don't remember his name), Todd McFarlane and R.A Salvador are apparently contributing to the game, it's universe and lore, Very interesting.

Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 06:21:00 PM
I'm dying to see what announcements and trailers will be at E3 this year. I just finished playing the Demo for the new Dungeon Siege 3, and so far I can give it an okay, I'm dieing to play more, not to much character customization and I didn't really get into the story, though. I've also got my eye on another action RPG called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Bethesda lead designer(Don't remember his name), Todd McFarlane and R.A Salvador are apparently contributing to the game, it's universe and lore, Very interesting.
Yeah, I saw that. It's a weird story. It's developed by Big Huge Games. The same guys who did the great Rise of Nations games, and Rise of Legends. Apparently they've wanted to work on RPGs this whole time.

It looks like the closest thing to an RPG brawler I've ever seen. Rogues are like ninjas, wizards are bad ass mobile spell slingers, and warriors do what warriors do best.

Wyrd

It looks like it has the funnest combat I've seen in a console action RPG in a while. Plus it's very pretty. I've never really heard of big huge games before I saw a recent press release and demo they did at a recent Con. It looks very promising, especially with those big names behind it. I'm happy and amazed RA did about 1000 years of back story and lore for the game, very cool, very cool indeed. 
Ragtime Dandies!

abandoneddolly

Quote from: Inkidu on June 05, 2011, 05:51:33 PM
I... have been known to enjoy the occasional Yu-Gi-Oh game ROM. XD
I just like card games though. I like strategy and creating unique decks. I'd never buy trading cards anymore. Too many people with too much money and one-turn-win deck guides for my taste.
that is why I like to go to drafts for MTG
everyone picks there cards out of the booster packs so its more if a game of skill then a game of who can afford the best cards.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 07:01:06 PM
It looks like it has the funnest combat I've seen in a console action RPG in a while. Plus it's very pretty. I've never really heard of big huge games before I saw a recent press release and demo they did at a recent Con. It looks very promising, especially with those big names behind it. I'm happy and amazed RA did about 1000 years of back story and lore for the game, very cool, very cool indeed.
I'm not surprised you didn't here of them they were an RTS company for a while with only one game, its expansion, and another game.

I wouldn't call 1000 years hard, because he probably didn't do each year, and you never do all of the years because you want wiggle room, but it still takes time. I've never really heard of him or read his work, but I have more fantasy than I can read right now.

Wyrd

It's not just RA that makes this RPG stand out, though. I'm well aware he didn't write every year, I'm more interested in the fact the got a known and experienced fantasy writer to take a lead on the world. I'm sure the guiding hand from that guy from Bethesda(Still don't remember his name) will have a positive outcome on the game design. The art visuals, though, don't really show any influence from Todd Mcfarlane, but I hope we see more with E3.   
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Salvatore is most famously responsible for the Drizzt series, and probably singlehandedly responsible for making Drow the fan-favorites that they are now.  He's pretty good at culture-building, so the history and lore should be reasonably tight.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

dready

So what's new peeps? Haven't been on here for five days straight. :3

Geeklet

Quote from: abandoneddolly on June 05, 2011, 07:12:26 PM
that is why I like to go to drafts for MTG
everyone picks there cards out of the booster packs so its more if a game of skill then a game of who can afford the best cards.

I <3 drafts.... Its funny at my local game store, at FNM, its usually Standard, but there is always a contingent of people there who would rather draft. And when they try to see if there is enough interest, you can hear them asking everybody. Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft? Draft?

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 07:27:00 PM
It's not just RA that makes this RPG stand out, though. I'm well aware he didn't write every year, I'm more interested in the fact the got a known and experienced fantasy writer to take a lead on the world. I'm sure the guiding hand from that guy from Bethesda(Still don't remember his name) will have a positive outcome on the game design. The art visuals, though, don't really show any influence from Todd Mcfarlane, but I hope we see more with E3.

Quote from: OniyaSalvatore is most famously responsible for the Drizzt series, and probably singlehandedly responsible for making Drow the fan-favorites that they are now.  He's pretty good at culture-building, so the history and lore should be reasonably tight.

Um... Something Dungeons and Dragons? If that's the case that's why I haven't read him. It's probably unfair of me, but I try to embrace ideas not founded on other properties first... in literature. Still, he said something I admire the hell out of him for. He said all the dungeons in the game had to be their for a reason. No random Oblivion dungeons.

Wyrd

I'm hoping not to much of the game is not spent crawling around in dungeons. I don't like spending mot of my RPGin wandering around underground.   
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 05, 2011, 08:35:34 PM
I'm hoping not to much of the game is not spent crawling around in dungeons. I don't like spending mot of my RPGin wandering around underground.
I like my dungeons, but I like my variety better. That's what makes Zelda fun for me. Dungeon... Floating in the sky! YES! Still if dungeons need purpose then there should naturally be less of them, and more unique.

Irilinquent

I've been playing Dragon Age 2, it's pretty good. Sadly, I hated Dragon Age Origins and couldn't get past an hour of that so there're some references I don't get. But still, it's great! And Isabella is gorgeous :D

Nadir

I just opened Minecraft for the first time in moths and started messing around - and almost died when a storm rolled in. Effing awesome weather update.