Confused about wireless

Started by Eternal Blade, March 03, 2011, 11:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eternal Blade

I'm admittedly not vastly experienced with wireless routers, but I had believed I bought a router that would be compatible with my laptop.

I have an Acer Aspire 5251-1805 laptop, it's suppose to have a wireless card that supports b/g/n signals, and it worked fine on a G router.

However as my netgear G router stopped working a little more than six months after I bought it, I decided to try for an N router. After some looking around, I bought a MEDIALINK wireless N broadband router with an internal antenna: model number MWN-WAPR150N.

After setting it up, I have been unable to get more than a 54 mbps, which from my understanding is G speeds. I contacted the tech support, and after some working with them they have told me that my computer needs an N adapter. I told them that my computer has gotten as much as 117 mbps on another router and they said it was probably a dual band router. I did some more research online, and from what I can tell dual band just allows for an 5GHz, and an A signal.

My computer from everything I know doesn't even have access to an A signal, so why would the other router, maybe being a dual band, have allowed for me to connect at higher speeds? If anyone has an answer or a solution that's not gonna cost me more money, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Vekseid

You should be getting around 70 I think. However, if you are allowing b/g networks that may slow things - try switching t on-only instead.

If you have an option to switch the channel width to 40MHz, that may double your bandwidth.

Eternal Blade

I see, I'll try that thanks.

They had to send out another router because that one stopped working, and now I'm getting like 65 mbps, so better than before.