[recruiting] Dungeon World!

Started by meikle, April 24, 2013, 01:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meikle

Let's play Dungeon World!  It is a "love-letter to D&D written in the style of an indie narrative-focused RPG," a story-centric system whose rules aim to steer the conversation that is roleplaying.  The entirety of the rules are in the link given above, though you do not need to know them in any real depth beyond the basic reach of your own class.

This is going to be a game for three players.  Player selection will be arbitrary and susceptible to bribery and nepotism.  It will not be first-come, first-served, but I will pick out players when there are three submissions that I like.

Here are some thoughts:

On Smut: Like any other group game I run, sexual content is not going to be a focus; I'll probably stick the main thread someplace like Light/Human Small Groups, and wouldn't expect sexual content in the main thread to be any significant amount of the content beyond occasional and brief displays.  More involved stuff can be broken off from the main thread.  Everyone in the game will be expected to respect the other players' ons/offs and that kind of stuff!

On Pacing: My goal is to make a post once every 3 days or so, depending on how often other players post.  Two posts a week is about the minimum I expect of players, and if you're interrupted from maintaining that for some reason, please just let me know!

On Plot and Tone: I'm going to tentatively describe this as sword and sorcery fantasy, with A Song of Ice and Fire's apathy toward heroism, and a varied landscape and fantasy cultures inspired by a wide range of earth's cultures (so if you are strongly opposed to fantasy that isn't strongly inspired by Medieval European Feudalism and Nothing Else, things might be uncomfortable for you!)  The plot of the story will focus on heroes doing heroic things in an unforgiving world, but the specifics of the plot will develop in play rather than following any predetermined route.  I am presently imagining the game might start out in a locale inspired by old Mesopotamia/the Cradle of Civilization area, though characters need not be natives (I am open to other ideas, though!)

On Character Creation: Characters are to be made as standard starting Dungeon World characters!  If you are accepted and you need help, I can help you.  Feel free to take some liberties with your character's narrative and background; the setting will accommodate characters unless they are drastically inappropriate.  If you need to shove around some of the mechanics (say, because you really want to play an elven priest, but the cleric class only covers dwarfs and humans!), let me know and we can hack together an appropriate fix for that.  Also, there can only be one player representing each class, so try not to toe-step!  In addition to the classes in the HTML book above, there is also the barbarian.

If you're interested, drop by this thread and say hi and express what you're interested in playing, and perhaps any themes, tone, stories you'd like to see addressed in game.  I look forward to hearing from excellent people!

Dungeons!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Queluna

Awesome players should totally consider playing with Meikle, for she is the definition of awesomeness.

I am going to be playing a fighter lady, more like a western knight than anything else.  I'm thinking she will be an outcast from her house's lands due to a rival house having fabricated claims against her rule, and the arbitrary king having revoked them of their lands and titles and exiled them.  She will probably try looking for an army or allies to go back home and depose the king, installing her favored heir as king in his stead, and hopefully being granted back her lands and titles because of it!  I don't expect that to impact the direction of the story much.  It might be something of a fool's quest, after all :P  And besides, she might come to enjoy the lands she'll come to travel in.  She might even try to carve out a section of these new lands to forge a kingdom of her own.

Brittlby

Ehhh as a rough concept, I'd like to play a cursed paladin who was banished from her order for failing grievously in her duties. While in the service of protecting one of the Order's most sacred guests, she and her subordinates suffered an attack upon their small outpost and suffered a long siege. When at last they were rescued almost a year later, there was only the General left. The remains of her fellow soldiers and her holy charge were found picked clean of flesh.

Cursed for her cowardice in the face of death, the tribune each laid a horrible curse upon her. The Gate Keeper placed the Wanderer's Curse upon her, that the ghosts of her victims would forever chase her, and she might never lay her head upon the same bed thrice. The Word cast the Deadman's Ledger upon her, the sins of her past etching themselves across her body. Each new sin is branded upon her when she sleeps, reminding her of her failures in the eyes of the Lady. And finally, the Merciful struck her with the Coward's Curse. If she betrays her honor and flees, she will never die, though likely her companions will.

Cast then into the shadow of the Lady, she has taken it upon herself to set the wrong things right. She has a list of the names of those she killed to survive and wanders in search of a means to lay each to rest. Sometimes they whisper to her, the more vindictive cut their demands into her flesh, while others remain silent as to the means of seeking their forgiveness. Over the past three years she has managed to cull six names from the list of her ghostly tormentors, and seeks to remove the remaining fourteen from her ledger. A great battle in their name, delivering a message to loved ones, helping their village, they all feel they have been cheated out of something by her, and only by helping them can she whittle down her curse and make her way out of the Shadow.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

MzHyde

This sounds really interesting. I've never played anything like this before but it seems easy enough to get into so I'd like to give it a shot. I was thinking a human Wizard, since the group looks like it needs some magical muscle. Plus she'll be able to start out with Cure Light Wounds, which should help! Amelia Allbright is the daughter of Artemis Allbright, renowned Master Alchemist. Some say he practically invented the art, or at least brought it to perfection. He spent days upon days locked in his laboratory, finding new ways to bend the very laws of nature and create potions that did wonderous and impossible things. People came to Artemis for miles around and sought his help. He was hailed as one of the brightest minds of his generation and a benevolent hero to all.

This was the shadow under which Amelia grew up.

Her father was always busy working along, no time for his daughter; except to teach her his trade, and in that respect he was a strict and unforgiving teacher. He would brook no mistakes from her. Father and daughter never interacted in any meaningful way outside of lessons. Upon his passing, Amelia left home in order to see the world, having spent enough time in her father's cramped, dank, tower. Yet his fame followed her. She traveled the roads with her wagon and started 'Amelia's Alchemical Assemblage', a little business of her own, but in every town and kingdom she came to, people only wanted to talk about her father, compared her work to her father's. It was infuriating. It was impossible for Amelia to be her own person. Lately, she's been studying magic. If she can't write her own story with potions and salves, then she'll do it with adventure and spell casting. No arcane knowledge will go unread by Amelia in her quest to rise above her father's greatness and be the author of her own tale.

Maiz

So the idea that I had was for a bard type character.

Hedenabi is the third daughter of an eighth daughter in a very long and established  line of priestesses to the duality of Kishmat-il and Hinna. Her childhood was filled the various stories of her mother, aunts, and grandmother. These stories were of life in their country, and how the duality could be found in each one. Once she reached the same age that Hinna was supposed to have left her mother's home, searching for Kishmat-il, Hedenabi left her familial home of the Oceanic Shrine. She embarked into the world to begin her own pilgrimage, her own search for serene purpose. She is a learned busybody, with an open ear for literally anyone, from the highest noble to the beggar in the gutter. While there is a religious purpose for why she listens to people's stories, Hedenabi also has baser interest in her journey: she is kind of a gossip-monger. So she's just as knowledgeable about the best way to cross the largest river in the region and how supposedly a river god stole a man right out of his seat out of love as she is of why the local noble lords are feuding and how it revolves around unintentional food poisoning due to a certain cook catching flu. It turns out that secrets aren't so easily kept and the so-called lower rungs of society love it when someone listens to their gossip. The realities of their lives make for the best stories.

Roxy Rocket

snip

meikle

OKAY, it's been a few days, I have so many exciting concepts here to play with!  So plucking characters is difficult and I always feel bad for turning people away!

Here are the people I would for-sure like to play, so if you're still following along, let me know:

Queluna's eponymous elfy fighter
MzHyde's Amelia Allbright
xiaomei's bard, Hedenabi

Also, Brittlby's paladin, provisionally, pending some changes as we discussed in PM!

You four, check in and let me know that you're still here and interested, and expect an OOC thread to go up for character creation (especially to figure out bonds) sometime tomorrow!

Roxy, you have a neat character concept, but five players is bigger than I really want to go (I am already stretching going past 3!), and I had to make a call.  I'm sorry! :(

O and O and Discord
A and A

MzHyde

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: meikle on April 25, 2013, 04:44:31 PM

Roxy, you have a neat character concept, but five players is bigger than I really want to go (I am already stretching going past 3!), and I had to make a call.  I'm sorry! :(

No worries. I tried running a group once and three was plenty to track, what with trying to wrangle em all into posting.  Lala.

Brittlby

I'll have the rewrite up tomorrow.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A