Digimon: Digital Champions [Interest Check]

Started by Vergil Tanner, June 05, 2016, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so, I have a new vague idea for a group game. I've been hooked on the new-ish Digimon game, Cyber Sleuth, for the past few weeks (my current count just before starting the final Chapter is 240 hours >.> ) and suddenly have kind of an urge to start a Digimon themed group game, centred around six 18 year olds who get sucked into the Digital World a la the first season of Digimon and have to work with their Digimon partners to overcome several hundred challenges in order to save the (Digital) world and return home. I don't have much more of a plot idea other than that, but it's something I want to explore and figured that before I come up with a long, in-depth plot for it, I would see if people were actually interested. Basically, the basics of what I have planned are thus:

-- Six 18 year olds, some who know each other, some who don't, get sucked into the Digital World via an unexplained phenomenon. This has not happened in the world before, so they're understandably skeptical and a bit terrified.

-- Each of these six 18 year olds is met with a Trainee Digimon, who becomes their partner. Which one you get would be decided on in a chat with the GM, since each Digimon Partner is supposed to - in the lore - both reflect an aspect of your personality, but also have something to teach you. EG, learning to rely on your friends, learning to admit that you were wrong, etc etc. Likewise, your character is supposed to be able to teach their Digimon something, so they can truly grow as individuals.

-- Their end goal is to get home and - after they learn of some Impending Catastrophe - save the Digital World in the process.

-- Sex will be allowed, but won't be the main focus.

-- It will largely run chronologically through a guided path and events, though it will have breaks regularly to explore extra curricular activities without having to wait for the plodding plot.

-- Digimon can be directly controlled by you, or they can be controlled by another player of your choice. It's up to you.

-- Newly gained Digivolutions would be dictated by me, after discussion with the player in question, just so everybody stays on a level playing field. :P

-- This might be a system game or systemless...I haven't decided yet.

So, before I go to the trouble of writing up a big long plot synopsis and Application Thread...is anybody interested in having a character who has a little Pokemon-but-better pet / friend? :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Amarlo

-Stomps in and takes a seat- Gah! I hate you so much! -flips tables-

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Vergil Tanner

Love you too, sweetie. *kisses forehead innocently*

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Vergil1989

.......Tanner, I just want you to know, I hate your rotten guts for drawing me into this lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOJsm9ubGk&index=63&list=PL335D46E14219645C

In all honesty though, I have absolutely LOVED the old Digimon series, but this song out of them is my favorite oddly enough.  The original was good but it gets old real quick after repeated listens lol.  Besides, this one fits what you're trying to do far more in my opinion.  Anyway, see ya in the Digital World!
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Leki

"tmv;dr"
... too many Gerbils Vergil's, didn't read. xD
Okay I lied, I did read :P

And... I might be interested, but don't count on it xD
I've never liked system games, so scratch me out completely if you decide to go down that path.
Additionally, I've never enjoyed RP's where I play both the Human/Digimon, Trainer/pokemon FateMaster/Servant, Wielder/SoulWeapon, etcetc (you get the point). If someone was willing to let me just play the human, or just the digimon I'd be a lot more inclined to join :P

Just want to clarify this isn't me trying to negotiate in anything
I just figured I'd write down my thoughts and interests since the roleplay seems to still be largely in the planning phase.
If you decide to go with a system, or Player:2paired-characters, I'm not going to huff and puff with disappointment xD

Vergil1989

I actually kinda have to agree with Leki overall, except my reason for not wanting to do both Human and Digimon is simply because I've already got a ton of stuff going in terms of RPs.  I doubt I'd be able to do another two characters without my head exploding lol.  As for systems, I'm not totally against the idea, but if it's overly complicated I'd have to withdraw for the same reason.  Still, with how awesome you were to RP with before Tanner, I'm sure the story and plot itself would be pretty awesome, so that I'm not worried about at all.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

GanonDwarf

I've never done a group game before. But I'd be very interested in this since well makes sense to have a group of Digi-destined.

I could play both my character and my digimon.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Kiric Rand

Gah.... i promised myself no group games anymore...... but dammit this idea is far too tempting. *stomps around huffing* That is so unfair.

*places interest in*
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Leki

Oh and one more thing I wanted a bit of clarification on;
You mentioned that characters would be paired with "a Trainee Digimon"
When you say Trainee, did you mean the 'In-training' digimon?  Or could people play Rookies Eg;Agumon

Just asking since it'd feel pretty awkward playing a limbless blob xD
(In-training Digimon)

Vergil1989

No offense Kiric, but didn't you sign up for another game I'm in and never post once you were accepted?  I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, I just was wondering why you'd sign up for a game and not post afterwards.  Regardless, it's good to see you Kiric.

Lol well they tend not to remain in that form for long Leki.

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so, to hit the relevant points:

-- I'm leaning towards Systemless myself. I never really liked GMing System Games, so I'm thinking of a Systemless format, buuuuut if people start getting iffy about always hitting or always dodging, I will implement a rudimentary "Hit / Miss" system. I'm sure that won't happen, though. Elliquiy tends to be pretty good for players that don't GodMode. :-)

-- You'll have both options in terms of whether you control your Digimon or if another person does. Really, it depends on if you can find another person; since this is fairly niche, everybody getting a player to do their digimon would require 10 - 12 people being interested, so...yeah, haha. If you can get another player to join as your Digimon, then cool beans! If not...you'll have to NPC them from the perspective of your character until somebody does. :-)

-- I do mean "In Training." :-) Not In Training I, but In Training II. You know how in the original series, they first arrived in the DW and were paired with Tsunemon and Tokomon and all that lot? Yeah, that's where the Digimon start, and once they get close enough that the humans are "officially" deemed to be their Tamers, they get their little Device things and the Digimon turn into Rookies.

-- There won't really be a restriction on Digivolution Paths; since Digimon personalities are as varied as human personalities even within their own "Species," you could possibly wind up with a traditionally "Evil" Digimon. Buuuut you'd have to justify it. :P

-- That's not a bad theme, but I'm a purist...I love the original theme song way more than I should. XD

pendarious

*falls in out of nowhere* ugh.....I'm with those who have mentioned hating you for this....I'm in a lot of other games right now but this is just one of those can't pass up things. I'm in

I can play both my tamer character and digimon or my tamer character and someone else's digimon if they want to be the tamer or someone else can play my digimon I don't care how that runs down.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Vergil Tanner

Sweet :-) For the record, I'm ok playing my Digimon and having somebody else play my DM. :-)

Also, I might need a little bit of help from time to time deciding on Canon stuff; I watched the old Digimon cartoons, but I don't remember much about them. So, whilst I will be largely making a lot of stuff up as I go along for Plot Points, if I need some help on working out canon stuff, I might ask questions and whatnot of you to see if you know the answers if a google search doesn't turn it up :P

Oh, one more thing: The six Digi-Destined will consist of three male and three female characters...I don't mind which one you go for - if you're a male and like writing females, go for it :P - but I want to keep it relatively evenly split. :-)

Vergil1989

Well, YouTube could become your best friend here Tanner, if Netflix isn't available.  I'm pretty sure they have most if not all of the first series online for those that know how to look, but I can certainly try to help if it comes up.  As for my own character, I'd likely go female personally.  As for my Digimon, while I'd prefer another player, if I have to I'll play my own partner for a while.  Either way, I prefer a more humanoid Digimon like the fox girl Renamon, to name one off the top of my head.  I like most of the rest, but if I'm partnering with a Digimon for any reason, I'd rather avoid weirdness as much as possible lol.

Vergil Tanner

I don't mean "Partnering" in terms of sexually, you filthy animal! :P

In any case, we can chat about Digimon closer the time...each one needs to be matched to its Trainer, so we'll look at what options you have :-) There are plenty of Digimon that go to Humanoid shapes, so it's just a matter of finding them :P

Kiric Rand

I can play either or depending on what is needed, and as far as the digimon, i don't mind running it myself or having another run it. I know myself I tend to prefer the more either a dragon looking or mechanical looking
[Floatright]
[/float]
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-

Vergil Tanner

I think most Ultimate levels look at least partially mechanical, but we'll see what we can do! Just keep in mind the Digimon you're aiming for when creating your character :P

Kiric Rand

Not a problem, I have a general idea of the character already, at least personality wise
[Floatright]
[/float]

Vergil1989

Lol, hey, the last Digimon game I saw allowed that kind of thing.  That aside, I'm just a fan of the more humanoid types although Agumon and the rest of the dragon like Digimon, except SkullGreymon, will always be my favorites.  War Greymon for the ultimate win!

As do I, I think lol.

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't allowed, just that I didn't mean it that way :P But hey, if you want to go fuck a dog Digimon, go ahead, I ain't stoppin ya. :P

But that's good to hear! Once I know that everybody is interested and has a character concept in mind, I'll get to whipping up a Seeking thread and a bio for myself! :D

pendarious

I've got a few different ideas in mind what I go with depends on which gender though. *shrugs* I find playing either gender to be fun (though admittedly MOST of my characters are female) I am actually leaning towards male in this case though. as for how humanoid my partner digimon is I don't care.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so, question:

Which would people prefer? The Faceclaims being "Real Life" pictures, or Anime pictures? The latter may be more in keeping with the source material, but the former offers a bit more readily-available choice. It's easier to find a large selection of RL pictures than Anime pictures, after all. Which would people prefer?

Vergil1989

Meh, anime works well enough but I honestly don't mind either way.

Kiric Rand

[Floatright]
[/float]

Vergil Tanner