D&D 3.5 Campaign Seeks Players [NC, Extreme, Plot]

Started by ShadowOfHeaven, November 05, 2012, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowOfHeaven

I think at this point we can consider the rogue class being filled, between the multi-class rogues.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=124957.msg5498498#msg5498498

please quote when responding to messages.
It makes my life much easier.

ShadowOfHeaven

Oh, and just to give some insight into the issue of alignment being discussed.
Alignment detecting abilities will not function on other players, but will be very useful against NPCs.
Similarly - con, sense motive, bluff, etc - do not work against players.

Its my philosophy that it is critical that these things are all handled purely through role-play.

As for the Paladin's code. There's nothing that says that the Paladin cannot violate the code through roleplay - he simply loses his Paladin status. Similarly, a wizard could elect to wear armor and not cast spells. This is simply a case where the outcome of a decision is overtly statistically disadvantageous. That doesn't mean you can't do it, you just probably won't. Sometimes these things create the opportunity for great drama.

ShadowOfHeaven

Also, to address setting, everyone should assume that the characters in the Forgotten Realms world and history.
If you want to draw upon specific lore in your character story, that's where you should pull it from.

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: coolhands on November 09, 2012, 08:38:30 PM
Here is my sample post for my lawful nutral rogue Roland Hawklight.  Hope you enjoy

It was late and the place was packed.  The lower level of the inn were full of roudy drunks, gamblers, and low lifes.  While the second floor was devoid of people moving about.  Anyone up there would be locked away in one of the many small rooms, fulfilling what ever desire they had come there looking for.  What Roland had come looking for was a very specifc grouping of documents that he had been hired to find.  He had tracked the current owner of said documents (a one sir Dumond Polis) to this location.  An associate of Roland's was currently keeping Polis busy at the gambling tables with a modest sum of money Roland had given him.

Roland took longer then he would have liked to locate the proper room, but once he had it was a simple lock to pick, and in a flash he was in.  The room looked like most and was decked out with what ever pleasures Polis had planned for later, but Roland had no time to wonder what half of them might be for.  He began a quick search of the room and bags, but found nothing.  After a while the only place he had yet to search was the small night stand by the bed.

The drawer on it was locked, which was a good sign in Roland's line of work.  He bent down on one knee and pulled out his lock pick set and began to work away at the lock.  It was proving to be a bit more challenging for him then the door.  All of a sudden just as he felt as though he was making some progress, the door to the room burst open and Polis and two large men stepped into the room and stared at him kneeling on the floor.  Looking a bit sheepish Roland stood up trying to think quickly.  "Just doing a random security check sir. Yep this lick is secure against any forced entry" he said giving the night stand two reasuring raps on top with his fist.

As he rapped on the night stand a small secret compartment popped open revealing a small bundel of papers marked with a seal, which he recognized at once.  He looked at the papers for a moment in awe of his dum luck, before remembering the men at the door.  He slowly turned to look at their displeased faces "ah crap". 

He began to move quickly, snatching up the papers in one hand even as Polis was screaming at his men to kill Roland.  The first man came at him swinging a deadly looking long sword, but Roland easily ducked beneith it, grasped the handel of his rapier and pulled it free from its scabbard, and in the same motion drove the steel hand guard into the mans face with a vicious back hand strike.  As the first rhug reeled away the second had closed the distance, Roland shifted his weight and moved his arm so it looked like the atrack was a thrust aimed at the mans right chest, but in an instant changed it to an upward slash that caught the man across one eye.  With the second thug out of the way Roland kept moving, almost colliding with Polis as he made for the door.  Their shoulders crashed together and Roland made a quick spin around Polis and was out the door and lost in the crowd downstairs before they could follow him.  It wasn't long before he was out the front door and lost in the city streets stowing the documents in his bag, chuckling softly to himself, and clutching the money purse he had cut from Polis' belt as he ran past him.

Slick. Approved.

coolhands

Alright thanks shadow, im glad you liked the sample.  I cant wait to start playing the errol flynn style rogue.

Kythia

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowOfHeaven on November 10, 2012, 12:33:01 PM
Oh, and just to give some insight into the issue of alignment being discussed.
Alignment detecting abilities will not function on other players, but will be very useful against NPCs.
Similarly - con, sense motive, bluff, etc - do not work against players.

Its my philosophy that it is critical that these things are all handled purely through role-play.

As for the Paladin's code. There's nothing that says that the Paladin cannot violate the code through roleplay - he simply loses his Paladin status. Similarly, a wizard could elect to wear armor and not cast spells. This is simply a case where the outcome of a decision is overtly statistically disadvantageous. That doesn't mean you can't do it, you just probably won't. Sometimes these things create the opportunity for great drama.

As long as 'because it's another PC' isn't considered great drama. I'm happy going into this with a secret evil player in the party, but with the knowledge that barring a very, very good reason to do otherwise, finding out someone is evil will end with at least one person dead. That clear, let's go for it.

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 10, 2012, 02:53:02 PM
As long as 'because it's another PC' isn't considered great drama. I'm happy going into this with a secret evil player in the party, but with the knowledge that barring a very, very good reason to do otherwise, finding out someone is evil will end with at least one person dead. That clear, let's go for it.

I imagine there will probably be more than one evil character in the party.
No one is required to announce their alignment.

Ask any questions that you guys are uncertain about.
I definitely don't want anyone to play in a game they won't enjoy.

This is a leisure activity :)

yesiroleplay

Theresa.  A Female Human Bard, of less than savory morals and a total disdain for the norm.

Dumah was about to give up just before he finally found the door.  Though finding the secret panel didn't get it open.  The mechanism was most likely pretty simple, but finding the trigger would take more time he might not have.

Though his companion did seem to have perfected the techniques of distraction.  She'd gone ahead, and while he searched he'd been at least partly distracted by a a prolonged exchange of conversation between low sweet tones and another gruffer, deeper voice.  How pretty a human girl managed to keep an orc talking that long was a mystery beyond him.  But she must have ran out of things to say, because for most of the last hour the sounds leaking past the thick curtain at the far end of the passage weren't those of speech.

With great determination, he ignored the rhythmic wet, sloshy, slurpy sounds and the muted slap of flesh against flesh interspersed with a mixture of feminine squeals and masculine grunts as he went about his search.  Though the occasional giggle or phrase of encouragement panted out in girlish grunts gave him pause.  He was tempted to peek and find out just what in all the hells was happening behind that curtain.  That was a full-blooded elite orcish guard in there, and Theresa seemed to be enjoying the distraction just a little too much.

The sounds continued for quite some time, vexing Teresa as she lay under the brute and bucked up into him. He had to be on top, of course! Why not from behind? If she killed him now, his dead weight would crush into her and pin her helpless.  So she continued, her pale, perfectly tapered legs flailed high in the air as he rode her and she rocked and twisted and bucked under him for a long, long while - after a time she abandoned her dismay and threw herself into the action. No one said a girl had to hate her work, right?  Finally, the pace slowed and the big orc rolled them around until she was straddling him.  She rode him for a bit, bouncing hard and fast on his thick endowment, her heavy bare tits flapping and slapping into her flat belly and slender ribs. She hoped Dumah hadn't found the treasure and left her behind, but now that she was on top...

The girl that joined Dumah shortly later was petite only when compared to males of orcish size, though her slender supple build made her seem shorter than she actually was. "You're still here.  She noted with surprise almost to the level of shock when she found her companion sorting through the loot.  Her body was bare but for a sheen of blood-stained sweat and a disheveled mass of honey-brown hair hanging in cover over most of her torso. "I had to wait until he let me on top before killing him.  What's your excuse for still being here?  The explanation, she suspected, would be less interesting than her own. 

MrBubbles

Definitely interested in joining this, primarily as a Cleric... But I'd like to know something before I set my application in stone; is Pelor a viable deity for a Cleric in this setting? My interest in using The Shining One is more due to fluff than mechanics, but it's pretty important fluff.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: MrBubbles on November 12, 2012, 07:43:14 PM
Definitely interested in joining this, primarily as a Cleric... But I'd like to know something before I set my application in stone; is Pelor a viable deity for a Cleric in this setting? My interest in using The Shining One is more due to fluff than mechanics, but it's pretty important fluff.
Lathander is pretty much a drop-in Forgotten Realms replacement for Pelor.

TheGlyphstone

A cleric of the Burning Hate? Great, yet another Evil party member. :D

MrBubbles

While I love the Burning Hate as much as the next guy, I'd just be playing the "nice" Pelor straight... However, Lathander as mentioned above would be a more accurate in-universe deity, so I'll probably pick him (which is kinda a shame because Lathander doesn't have the Healing Domain, which Pelor does.)

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: yesiroleplay on November 11, 2012, 02:18:14 PM
Theresa.  A Female Human Bard, of less than savory morals and a total disdain for the norm.

Dumah was about to give up just before he finally found the door.  Though finding the secret panel didn't get it open.  The mechanism was most likely pretty simple, but finding the trigger would take more time he might not have.

Though his companion did seem to have perfected the techniques of distraction.  She'd gone ahead, and while he searched he'd been at least partly distracted by a a prolonged exchange of conversation between low sweet tones and another gruffer, deeper voice.  How pretty a human girl managed to keep an orc talking that long was a mystery beyond him.  But she must have ran out of things to say, because for most of the last hour the sounds leaking past the thick curtain at the far end of the passage weren't those of speech.

With great determination, he ignored the rhythmic wet, sloshy, slurpy sounds and the muted slap of flesh against flesh interspersed with a mixture of feminine squeals and masculine grunts as he went about his search.  Though the occasional giggle or phrase of encouragement panted out in girlish grunts gave him pause.  He was tempted to peek and find out just what in all the hells was happening behind that curtain.  That was a full-blooded elite orcish guard in there, and Theresa seemed to be enjoying the distraction just a little too much.

The sounds continued for quite some time, vexing Teresa as she lay under the brute and bucked up into him. He had to be on top, of course! Why not from behind? If she killed him now, his dead weight would crush into her and pin her helpless.  So she continued, her pale, perfectly tapered legs flailed high in the air as he rode her and she rocked and twisted and bucked under him for a long, long while - after a time she abandoned her dismay and threw herself into the action. No one said a girl had to hate her work, right?  Finally, the pace slowed and the big orc rolled them around until she was straddling him.  She rode him for a bit, bouncing hard and fast on his thick endowment, her heavy bare tits flapping and slapping into her flat belly and slender ribs. She hoped Dumah hadn't found the treasure and left her behind, but now that she was on top...

The girl that joined Dumah shortly later was petite only when compared to males of orcish size, though her slender supple build made her seem shorter than she actually was. "You're still here.  She noted with surprise almost to the level of shock when she found her companion sorting through the loot.  Her body was bare but for a sheen of blood-stained sweat and a disheveled mass of honey-brown hair hanging in cover over most of her torso. "I had to wait until he let me on top before killing him.  What's your excuse for still being here?  The explanation, she suspected, would be less interesting than her own.

Wonderful. Sold!

ShadowOfHeaven

Any diety available in the PHB is available to you.
I'll go ahead and give a little forewarning that the nature of the campaign will skew the relationship between characters and their gods to some extent.

Zaer Darkwail

Okay, I will be wizard then. Faerun is old favorite place where I had not visited years....

Adrian Lizban. Human wizard, a inpatient/ambittious apprentice of Khelben Blackstaff.

Adrian woke up in his bed in the morning. While his tressym purred loudly atop his stomach. However he saw the dawn was waking and he had to groan and gently shove aside his familiar, which made her displeasure known with protesting mewl but she rolled up to new position and continued napping. Adrian looked with short mild envy for carefree life of his familiar while washing his face in cold water from basin which he had left lay there to wait for the morning.

After quick cold morning wash Adrian dressed on his robes. Khelben's tower is no place of luxury but he still prided himself on the fact that he had kept his fancy robes in top condittion all these years while studying under him. He was son of rich merchant family which has base of operations and their home manor in Sembia. He was eight years old when his parents met with a mage who measured their son and saw he has possible talent for magic and has sharp mind. Thrilled they used their good fortunes to send him to Waterdeep of all places to study under Khelben Blackstaff! Many times over the years Adrian had cursed his parents for their choices as Khelben was literal slave master who did not relinquish his students until he is sure they do not blow them up with their own spells and he is strict in his requirements and in filling out his demands!

Why my parents could not hire a mage just home tutor me? I miss so much the sweet taste of Sembian kaffe....

Adrian joined along with other students for breakfast. As same way dull sort breakfast what Khelben himself enjoys; gray tasteless gruel. With grimace Adrian spiced up his meal with prestigitation, it did not do much improve the taste but it added something to the food to go down his throat along with loaf of bread and water. He was turning now seventeen this year, whole nine years in studying under Khelben's regime and he had not achieved any grand powers expect able cast first circle spells. He finishes his breakfast and moves to study room to study more about arcane formulas and studying spells like most rest students do.

I swear I someday leave this place....go adventure and get field experience! All greatest students from here had gained most quickly in power when they went adventuring!

Khelben of course strictly forbids whole idea of adventuring and saying it is highly dangerous compared to years of patient study in tower and achieving power in the tower and be ready for it.....but many times Adrian had heard you are never ready for adventuring; you either do it and survive or die! Adrian is reaching a point where taking the gambit is far inviting than dull exchistence day to day ordered cycle in tower is tiring on him. No doubt when Khelben thinks he is ready he has grown a beard long as Elminister's! After studying spells he checks study schelude, he sees that perhaps only brigthest thing in tower is occuring today; Laeral is holding a class today. Altough she lives in tower with Khelben she is often so busy that she does not hold classes but she runs around two or three classes per month.

No doubt Khelben keeping her busy in bedroom.

Despite the lewd thought Adrian holds more respect towards Laeral than he holds for Khelben. Where Adrian was scared to witless in his first year with Khelben he fell in love with Laeral's comforting presence. Altough one point his hormones stole all wisdom he had and he had pulled a prank with cantrip during a class by lifting hem of Laeral's robe to see she did not have underwear. That had been worth it despite she was blasted by burning silver sand by her which itched whole day and did not come off until day later. Adrian half-day dreamed and studied in her class and then was evening meal....which was the same damn gray tasteless gruel.

I swear I will leave from here!

It was becoming a daily mental mantra for Adrian and only time will tell when he finally leaves for adventuring one day.....

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on November 14, 2012, 01:17:47 AM
Okay, I will be wizard then. Faerun is old favorite place where I had not visited years....

Adrian Lizban. Human wizard, a inpatient/ambittious apprentice of Khelben Blackstaff.

Adrian woke up in his bed in the morning. While his tressym purred loudly atop his stomach. However he saw the dawn was waking and he had to groan and gently shove aside his familiar, which made her displeasure known with protesting mewl but she rolled up to new position and continued napping. Adrian looked with short mild envy for carefree life of his familiar while washing his face in cold water from basin which he had left lay there to wait for the morning.

After quick cold morning wash Adrian dressed on his robes. Khelben's tower is no place of luxury but he still prided himself on the fact that he had kept his fancy robes in top condittion all these years while studying under him. He was son of rich merchant family which has base of operations and their home manor in Sembia. He was eight years old when his parents met with a mage who measured their son and saw he has possible talent for magic and has sharp mind. Thrilled they used their good fortunes to send him to Waterdeep of all places to study under Khelben Blackstaff! Many times over the years Adrian had cursed his parents for their choices as Khelben was literal slave master who did not relinquish his students until he is sure they do not blow them up with their own spells and he is strict in his requirements and in filling out his demands!

Why my parents could not hire a mage just home tutor me? I miss so much the sweet taste of Sembian kaffe....

Adrian joined along with other students for breakfast. As same way dull sort breakfast what Khelben himself enjoys; gray tasteless gruel. With grimace Adrian spiced up his meal with prestigitation, it did not do much improve the taste but it added something to the food to go down his throat along with loaf of bread and water. He was turning now seventeen this year, whole nine years in studying under Khelben's regime and he had not achieved any grand powers expect able cast first circle spells. He finishes his breakfast and moves to study room to study more about arcane formulas and studying spells like most rest students do.

I swear I someday leave this place....go adventure and get field experience! All greatest students from here had gained most quickly in power when they went adventuring!

Khelben of course strictly forbids whole idea of adventuring and saying it is highly dangerous compared to years of patient study in tower and achieving power in the tower and be ready for it.....but many times Adrian had heard you are never ready for adventuring; you either do it and survive or die! Adrian is reaching a point where taking the gambit is far inviting than dull exchistence day to day ordered cycle in tower is tiring on him. No doubt when Khelben thinks he is ready he has grown a beard long as Elminister's! After studying spells he checks study schelude, he sees that perhaps only brigthest thing in tower is occuring today; Laeral is holding a class today. Altough she lives in tower with Khelben she is often so busy that she does not hold classes but she runs around two or three classes per month.

No doubt Khelben keeping her busy in bedroom.

Despite the lewd thought Adrian holds more respect towards Laeral than he holds for Khelben. Where Adrian was scared to witless in his first year with Khelben he fell in love with Laeral's comforting presence. Altough one point his hormones stole all wisdom he had and he had pulled a prank with cantrip during a class by lifting hem of Laeral's robe to see she did not have underwear. That had been worth it despite she was blasted by burning silver sand by her which itched whole day and did not come off until day later. Adrian half-day dreamed and studied in her class and then was evening meal....which was the same damn gray tasteless gruel.

I swear I will leave from here!

It was becoming a daily mental mantra for Adrian and only time will tell when he finally leaves for adventuring one day.....

I dig it. Keep in mind, this will begin as a low level campaign, but ramp up relatively quick.
So, just don't create a frustration for yourself early on.

Approved.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, I do not build it OOC but my char can be IC wise frustrated. Especially if his spellbook is ruined after that shipwreck :P. Anyways your okay he has tressym as familiar even if normally it would ask improved familiar? So far as I can see statically it is just normal cat with ability to fly.

Muse

Good morning.  I understand you're looking for someone to fill the roll of paladin? 

I'd be interested, and can present an application later today.  I do have a question, though. 

Something seemed to suggest  this was a Forgotten Realms game, but you said to clerics that you were using the Greyhawk Pantheon from the PHB?  Can you clear that up for me please? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

yesiroleplay

Quote from: ShadowOfHeaven on November 10, 2012, 12:37:36 PM
Also, to address setting, everyone should assume that the characters in the Forgotten Realms world and history.
If you want to draw upon specific lore in your character story, that's where you should pull it from.
Was where I got that from.

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: Muse on November 14, 2012, 09:08:03 AM
  Good morning.  I understand you're looking for someone to fill the roll of paladin? 

I'd be interested, and can present an application later today.  I do have a question, though. 

Something seemed to suggest  this was a Forgotten Realms game, but you said to clerics that you were using the Greyhawk Pantheon from the PHB?  Can you clear that up for me please?

Ha! Damn it.
I guess I tipped my hand a bit as to one of the plot points.

Let's handle it this way...

Go ahead and choose your Deity from the Forgotten Realms lore.
The rest will fall into place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Muse on November 14, 2012, 09:08:03 AM

Fight ya for it? ;D

ShadowOfHeaven

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 14, 2012, 10:37:22 AM
Fight ya for it? ;D

I put out an ad for a female single-class paladin to balance things out, since you are also building rogue AND there seems to be a pretty large number of evil / neutral characters being made.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowOfHeaven on November 14, 2012, 10:51:24 AM
I put out an ad for a female single-class paladin to balance things out, since you are also building rogue AND there seems to be a pretty large number of evil / neutral characters being made.

On that note...would you consider relaxing or altering the entry requirements for the Blackguard PrC? I'd like to keep it open as an option for ifwhen hanging around all these evil people gets me by the short and curlies, but I really don't like having to effectively waste one and a half of my precious feats (Improved Sunder is the most god-awful feat for a PC in existence, and Cleave is useless 90% of the time and only mildly useful the other 10%) just to keep a future possibility available.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 14, 2012, 10:54:50 AM
On that note...would you consider relaxing or altering the entry requirements for the Blackguard PrC? I'd like to keep it open as an option for ifwhen hanging around all these evil people gets me by the short and curlies, but I really don't like having to effectively waste one and a half of my precious feats (Improved Sunder is the most god-awful feat for a PC in existence, and Cleave is useless 90% of the time and only mildly useful the other 10%) just to keep a future possibility available.
What?  You have some moral objection to sundering what's probably the enemies best loot?