The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Going between Earth 1 and 2 was because of the breaches which were created by the singularity from the end of Season 1. Flash crossing over to Supergirl's world was i think basically dimension hopping. Wasn't Flash after a tachyon particle when he jumped over to Supergirl's world? But, they have opened the door to the fact there are Infinite Earths. Earth-3 was referenced. Though, season 2 of Supergirl is being called a soft reboot.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 11, 2016, 09:08:18 PM
Going between Earth 1 and 2 was because of the breaches which were created by the singularity from the end of Season 1. Flash crossing over to Supergirl's world was i think basically dimension hopping. Wasn't Flash after a tachyon particle when he jumped over to Supergirl's world? But, they have opened the door to the fact there are Infinite Earths. Earth-3 was referenced. Though, season 2 of Supergirl is being called a soft reboot.

I remember him looking for the tachyon particle but I thought all it did was send him into the Speed Force dimension, I don't remember him actually setting foot physically in any 'real' world other than Earth 2, even though in the end the real Jay Garrick that was the man in the iron mask was from Earth 3, the one we never actually saw. I just don't recall a situation in which Barry went to Supergirl Earth and then came back and was like, "There was one where none of us even existed, at least not in the notorious sense." I don't know, just thought they could have paid more lip service to it.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Episode 18 of Supergirl season called World's Finest is the two-part crossover with Flash. Barry emerges onto Kara's world. Barry crossed over doing a test run for the Tachyon Enhancer in the hopes of increasing his speed in the episode verus Zoom. Barry helps Kara defeat Silver Banshee and Livewire. So basically, they've spotlighted four different earths so far. I wonder if they are building up to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 11, 2016, 10:45:04 PM
Episode 18 of Supergirl season called World's Finest is the two-part crossover with Flash. Barry emerges onto Kara's world. Barry crossed over doing a test run for the Tachyon Enhancer in the hopes of increasing his speed in the episode verus Zoom. Barry helps Kara defeat Silver Banshee and Livewire. So basically, they've spotlighted four different earths so far. I wonder if they are building up to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I saw that episode (best one in all of Supergirl's first season, IMO) but I don't remember Barry doing that, I remember him running too fast and disintegrating like that woman who was taking that speed drug, only he was brought to the Speed Force directly. I just don't recall it directly saying he ended up on Earth 4 with Supergirl, or whatever they want to call it. Guess I need to re-watch it. I usually need multiple stimuli while I'm doing that kind of thing to avoid brain numbness so I was probably paying only partial attention by that point of the season and playing a video game at the same time. I'll try bingeing it again.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

New trailer for the next Wolverine movie was released recently.

https://youtu.be/wWcXXxVZF2A

Looks like its going for the Old Man Logan inspiration.

Not to mention that girl in the trailer without a doubt in my mind is X-23 especially after what Xavier said
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

I'm not overly familiar with the Old Man Logan thing other than a feud with the inbred family of the Hulk, but this...this just looks sad. I mean, it kind of teetered between looking like they're going with the little kid sidekick angle that just pulled down movies like Elektra, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, and Iron Man 3, and making her actually look like she was going to pull her weight. To me, it was an immense waste of an opportunity to not have both her and his bastard son Daken (a half-Japanese child, in a movie set in Japan? Come the fuck on, Fox! Get your damn head in the game!) appear in The Wolverine. Surely that wouldn't have been any worse than the direction they DID decide to go with in that one. But this just looks like it's post-World War 3 or something and Xavier is somehow still around even though nobody else recognizable is. I get that Wolverine is kind of dark but bleakness doesn't usually make for decent storylines and given his lousy track record of doing a good job in that department (solo films) I'm just worried this will be strike 3 and be the worst possible sendoff for the Hugh Jackman incarnation. Not to mention a huge weakness of The Wolverine was the dearth of actual mutants. Looks like they're falling back into that all over again. If you're going to have substandard writing, then throw in some more pizazz to distract us. It's okay, that's kind of what we expect. If you write something amazing, go ahead and skimp on the SFX budget, we'll still be happy. Fox just doesn't the right balance figured out. I guess the youtube critics are right, all they really have left is Deadpool that they haven't really fucked up.

Inkidu

Hey, all the flash talk made me wonder: Why isn't Barry using the tachyon enhancer? Did Cisco already miniaturize it or something? Or was it just a one-off? Seems like something that'd be vastly helpful. Unless the Speed Force don't do no cheap tricks. Though it has been less than careful about where it goes, gettin' it's speed all over the joint, so... maybe it shouldn't judge?

Of course, I assume we gloss over the whole thing about tachyons being superluminal particles and ergo would make Barry come close to surpassing light speed.

(Which doesn't exactly make something not-exist, it just moves it beyond what we as humans know can be observed, ie the EM spectrum.)

That would make Barry more powerful than Superman by the way. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Risky, maybe. Like that woman who was using drugs to become fast eventually disintegrating. Sci-fi shows usually justify avoiding using Deus Ex Machina type stuff except for emergencies.

SapphireStar

It looks like Tim Miller is out as director of Deadpool 2. Reason being creative differences with Ryan Reynolds. Wonder if this means Fox's pick, Kyle Chandler will be Cable seeing as how Tim Miller was against that casting.

Saw the "red band" trailer for Logan. Is it me, or was it missing something? Isn't X-23 supposed to be older then a ten year old?

Mathim

As long as Reynolds is still involved I'm not too worried.

And it looks like there's way more than just that thing missing from Logan. Continuity, fun, and motivation, for instance.

SapphireStar

I'm more worried about what kind of involvement the studio execs might have. From rumors, they were pushing to have Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights play Cable.

When it said redband, I was hoping for lots of Wolverine style action. Not brooding. If that is what the rest of the movie is like, the first Wolverine movie looks better and better. At least action wise.

mia h

Marvel\Netflix have announced that the directors for Jessica Jones season 2 will all be women. Can you imagine the social media shit-storm that would be created if Marvel\Netflix announced that Daredevil season 3 is only going to have male directors? If they really wanted to make a point about equality then why announce it at all? Make the episodes, release them and when a reporter inevitably brings it up they could just say they hired the best people for the job.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

They took a hit over Thor: Ragnorak over the female director who was to direct but then left due to "creative issues" and with that fallout Natalie Portman dropped out saying she was done with Marvel because of it. Partly why Captain Marvel is slated to be directed by a female director. They're covering bases due to what has been reported about the inequality in pay for female actresses and female directors not getting the same opportunity to direct action oriented movies.

mia h

Don't get me wrong, there are real inequalities in TV and the movies which have been there for decades, and any company that is really prepared to address those kinds of issues should be applauded. But this just looks like window dressing and virtue signalling, which really annoys me. So instead of Jessica Jones being directed by the best 4 or 5 directors they could find, who just happened to all be female, instead Jessica Jones will be directed by the best that could be found from an artificially limited pool of talent and that cheapens the contributions and talents of those directors.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 24, 2016, 01:21:01 PM
They took a hit over Thor: Ragnorak over the female director who was to direct but then left due to "creative issues" and with that fallout Natalie Portman dropped out saying she was done with Marvel because of it. Partly why Captain Marvel is slated to be directed by a female director. They're covering bases due to what has been reported about the inequality in pay for female actresses and female directors not getting the same opportunity to direct action oriented movies.

THAT was the reason Portman dropped out? I thought she never wanted to do it in the first place and just kind of made a mistake and had to honor her contract. As it stands the only female-directed MCU film confirmed so far is Captain Marvel. I also heard Peyton Reed might be dropping out as Ant-Man & The Wasp director, so maybe Marvel can field another female director for this first film of theirs to directly include a female hero in the title?

I will say this: Punisher War Zone had a female director and that movie sucked balls. But given the script they had to work with, literally nobody could have saved it. But then there's backlash and of course the first thing people want to do is point the finger at the easy target. The only good thing to come out of that is that Punisher is back where he belongs and finally, FINALLY, his screen portrayal has been done justice.

I also think it's interesting that Captain Marvel is being directed by...Captain Marvel. Brie Larson is both directing and starring in the film. This will be the first Marvel film to do that; I'd say it's the first superhero film to do that, but I don't know for sure if that's true, and also I don't know when the Ben Affleck-directed Batman movie is coming out, before or after CM, so that might get done first.

Also can you imagine what will happen if Wonder Woman turns out to be shit? Ugh. Much as I hate DC for all their fuck-ups so far, I really don't want this one to be less than 50% on Rotten Tomatoes just so that studios don't feel their testicles ascend back up into them after a female director fails to deliver a winner and react predictably to such an occurrence. On the other hand, if it's a triumph, that could be a boon for all studios and increase their confidence enough to embrace more diversity in front of and behind the camera.

SapphireStar

Looks like some early reviews are in for Doctor Strange and they are generally positive.

Mathim

I sure hope it's good. I've been waiting for this movie ever since that Spider-Man cartoon from the 90's had him in one of the episodes. What I have heard is that the visual effects are tops even for movies in this genre. But that there are some plot holes, which given how out-there the subject matter is, I guess isn't surprising. And we probably shouldn't hold our breath for the villain not being yet another relative dud. The performances should be outstanding, though. I just want to see it already! Another week and a half...if I decide to go opening weekend. Maybe early on Sunday won't be so bad?

SapphireStar

The effects for the movie are trippy. The villains seem to be set up as more greyish. Not yet revealing their true nature. Mordo could be seen having his own agenda even though he is "helping" Doctor Strange. Playing both sides, seeming to help the hero but secretly pulling the strings of the villain. Like in Batman Begins, Liam Neeson's character Henri Ducard was Bruce's "mentor" while someone else played Ra's al Ghul, and it wasn't revealed till later his true nature. I can't wait to see Doctor Strange. They have a good cast and from the trailer's, a decent story.

Mathim

I am glad they referenced the Avengers in the latest trailer. It means they know they exist; that at least lets us know that this takes place after the Battle of New York, even though it's hard to tell exactly when, since it was vague why he was mentioned in The Winter Soldier.

SapphireStar

Wasn't Doctor Strange one of many who were targeted by the algorithm because they were seen as a threat by Pierce and Hydra? So he could have been known prior to events in Winter Soldier, possibly engaging in his training with the Ancient One.

Mathim

Yes, Sitwell mentioned him in the same breath as Bruce Banner, but that doesn't tell us whether they (HYDRA/SHIELD) knew of this because Strange was already trained in the mystic arts, or if he was simply one of those people like 'a valedictorian in bumfuck nowhere' whose voting patterns and whatnot made him a threat to HYDRA. The idea he would be named in the same sentence as the man who is the Hulk does seem odd, though. So it's hard to pinpoint exactly where his timeline started, like when his accident occurred, when he made his journey to the Ancient One's temple, and when he became an active mystic.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 25, 2016, 12:29:37 PM
Looks like some early reviews are in for Doctor Strange and they are generally positive.
Just come back from seeing the good Doctor and I wasn't exactly overwhelmed. It's not bad, it's absolutely watchable, but it's not a home run either. Rotten Tomatoes has it as the highest rated MCU movies but for my money there are at least 4 or 5 better MCU movies.

The action sequences are awesome, Inception on acid as good a description as any but everything else felt like it was missing something. They have possibly three of the most watchable actors in Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor & Mads Mikkelsen so they are engaging on the screen and do a good job with what they have, it's just the humour falls a tiny bit flat and the villain is about as two dimensional as they come.  Then at there a line or two of dialogue at the end that might as well have flashing pink neon sign reading "Mandatory corporate tie in to the MCU" up on the screen, the only thing missing was the actor turning to the screen and giving a big wink, it was just so clumsy.

The mid-credits scene is a bit of a throw away but it does contradict what's happened in other films.

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 26, 2016, 09:48:21 PM
Wasn't Doctor Strange one of many who were targeted by the algorithm because they were seen as a threat by Pierce and Hydra?
Yes

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 26, 2016, 09:48:21 PM
So he could have been known prior to events in Winter Soldier, possibly engaging in his training with the Ancient One.
and no, there's a quick reference to the events of Civil War near the beginning of the movie.

Mathim

Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi has been quoted as saying the film, as it is being done under him, is going to do its best to 'ignore' the first two Thor films. While I can understand why he might want to go in that direction (namely to make up for why Portman's character and her wacky sidekicks are apparently going to be MIA), as long as it has Frigga staying dead, Odin's whereabouts from the last film being explained, Loki's continued liberty and presence in Asgard under disguise, and Thor's lack of desire to inherit the throne, those will be enough for me. All his other relationships like with Sif and the Warriors Three, even that of how he feels about Loki (if he finds out he's alive), can be flexible and I'd be cool with it. There has to be SOME continuity. Frankly I'll be glad if this is one of the few films that doesn't go down the road of trying to shoehorn in a love story. Or at least if it's not with someone who's not capable of standing in battle beside Thor, even if not at his level (like the aforementioned other Asgardians).

And there's talk of Spider-Man not being in Infinity War, at least not the first Phase 3 Avengers film. I can't imagine him being kept out of the conflict altogether, and since there was a report saying that none of the same heroes would appear in both films (except Hulk), that would make sense since Spidey would then logically only appear in Infinity War or the other untitled Avengers film. I really hope he gets the black costume in that case, since it's more likely that later Avengers film will take place more in outer space. It would also be a great excuse for them to put him up against the Doppelganger, a villain I would absolutely love to see brought to the big screen. Since I doubt he could defeat the beast just as is, he might need the alien symbiote in order to give him enough of an edge to compete with it. Plus if he's not in the same league as Hulk, Thor, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel (or Scarlet Witch and Vision), the only way to really boost him up to an appropriate level without getting convoluted would be to do just that.

SapphireStar

Spider-Man has in some way been involved in some of Marvel's major events like Secret Wars, etc.

Looks like the Flash movie lost its director.

Fox is looking to the director of the John Wick movie to direct Deadpool 2.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on November 01, 2016, 11:30:01 AM
Looks like the Flash movie lost its director.
Once is accidental, twice is careless.
Although if it's true the director was looking to make Flash "edgy" then having someone else in the director's chair might not be a bad thing.