News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check: D&D - Thieves' World

Started by BlackFistKronos, March 23, 2012, 02:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackFistKronos

Looking for a possible group sex/adventure based rp set in the fantasy city of sanctuary, made famous by the 'theives' world' novel sets. If there's enough interest, I'll order some of the sourcebooks written for it. Here's a few notes:

- This game world is a low-magic fantasy world, meaning mages are bad mofos, but spellwork takes major prep to get working (think of Conan the Barbairan wizardry). Magic is NOT available for the common person.

- On that note, everyone is a sort of criminal-minded person. Even wizards look like theives (in fact, if a wizard strided into Sacntuary dressed like Gandalf, he'd be assaulted on the spot)

- The city of Sanctuary is VAST, meaning most adventures will take place within the city. If it was a video game, it'd be like Grand Theft Auto IV, but in a fantasy world.

- Sex is sex, crime is crime. If you think a dark, gritty, crime-ridden city would do it, then they do it. Hostels, slaves, sex-slaves, gladiators, it all goes.

- There IS military presense, in the form of an occupying army, led by the Avatar of the goddess of pillage, ravage, and war.

If there's interest, that'd be great. Characters can be any races you see in D&D. The sourcebook was originally written for D&D3.5, but if you WANT to go with a system-style play, I can try to convert it to 4E (Personally, I like the rogues and rangers in 4E). I can even convert it to Whitewolf's D6 to make gameplay even more simple. Freeform is also an option, and I can just dictate success or failure.

Classes are all fair game, but keep in mind, paladin's and preist's might not fit entirely, unless you're creative on how they work within a crime-filled city.

Let me know what you think, guys. Thanks

ZameRagues

I'm interested, What would be the starting level?
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

DRoux

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Apologies to all whom I play YIM games with, but my account seems to have locked me out. I'll try to fix that as soon as I can.

BlackFistKronos

starting levels depend. i personally like starting players at lvl 3. young enough to want experience, yet skilled enough to not have to heal/regroup after every fight. if we go freeform, just think of it like that. young hotshots with some skills, or even room for a multi-class. Personally, i like making an assassin out of a multi-class ranger/rogue

Meliai

This sounds really interesting, but I'm afraid I've never heard of the novels the setting is based on. Is familiarity with the canon necessary to play?
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

RubySlippers

Oh shit, oh shit .... my favorite fantasy book series in a game. I'm in.

Vandren

Just out of curiosity: during/after which book would you be setting this?  I suppose another way to phrase this: would it be set before or after the 2002 reboot/continuation?
- sorry for asking this way, it's been a few years since I last re-read the series and I'm not finding a good "IC" timeline online.

(I'm thinking in most of them, priests would fit in easily--Ilsigi or Rankan especially, but possibly even Beysib--even in hiding.)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

BlackFistKronos

to answer questions:

- i'm gonna go with an 'alternate storyline' approach, here. basically, the story will take place before the reboot, in fact i'm gunning for around the time of the very first book. that way, we can veer off the cannon storyline a bit, and you as players won't feel constrained by it.

-if you don't know the basics of the first 2 books, that's why they wrote cliffnotes ;) they are good books, though

- because of the alternate storyline approach, knowledge of the books may or may not help you, especially with key storylien aspects. after all, they may get tweaked.

Meliai

Oh great! I'm borrowing the splatbooks from one of the members of my boyfriend's regular tabletop group, hopefully those will get me up to speed on the setting.  I don't know if I'll be able to get through them before the game starts, but I'll see if he or the library has the first couple novels  :-)
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

orderNchaos

Love the series and the world they live in, so I'm definitely interested.  Looking forward to hearing more!

Frank Reshman

Just saw something about this at this website.  It seems really cool and I just recently got into D&D, so I'd be up for this. 

rancorius

RubySlippers

I hope this is 3.5 or Pathfinder those are the only rules I have access to.

who149

Intrested, and I would personally prefer 3.5, as its the one I'm most familiar with, but i'm up for pretty much any source book.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Probably the second best 'fantasy criminal' setting ever (number one, at least for me, goes to Steven Brust's Jhereg books). I read them all decades ago, and again, and again, and they are STILL on my shelf.

I see you already have a LOT of eager responders. I'm familiar with 3.5 but have played 4E once or twice. If you still have room with all of these eagerly interested people, I'd love to join in.

Fortunately, the setting is one which encourages small groups and individuals slipping around off to one side or another, doing their own thing.

In fact, perhaps if you aren't interested in trying to manage so many people, perhaps a few of us familiar with the setting can rotate off GMing to pick up the slack in a sort of shared campaign?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Cythieus

I came back and saw this and I have to say you have my interest. I have several characters that I would love to throw into this game, though I would need to see what others are doing here and the like.

Jr

I would also love to see this happen. I've been curious about Thieves' World ever since I saw the Counter Monkey videos. I'd prefer to do this in D&D, any edition's fine, though I kinda have a hard time imagining it in 4e.

Meliai

Guys it's been ages since we've heard from the OP, I don't think the chances of this going forward are very high.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

CarnivalOfTheGoat

OP hasn't been active for ten days, which is a bit.

On the other hand, with this level of interest (Looks like 10-12 people?), is anyone else out there perhaps interested in gamemastering? Or we could make it something of a sandbox if people are not totally wedded to using D&D of some sort.

Or for that matter, some of us could sort of round-robin GMing for each other, that way everyone plays, everyone has fun. Just have to be a little careful about communicating with other GMs if you're going to do anything big that would affect everyone else. I rather like that idea.

Thoughts?

Because DAMN, people! THIEVES WORLD.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Jr

Yeah, I was thinking whoever among us has the most setting knowledge should DM, or at least start us off if we take turns. I'm still in if anyone else is.

Atticus Bleak

Ooooh Thieves' World! Fun! Interest abounds within my imagination.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Assuming our fearless OP does not return, I tentatively volunteer to help with GMing, but I cannot and will not be the only GM for this many people.

One of the advantages of multiple GMs is that each can work with a small group of players (though all are in the same city and can interact).We have about a dozen people even without having a firm commitment to the game. I can handle 2-3 people, I would say. Do we have 3-4 others who know Sanctuary well enough to GM? Who will be willing to GM each other, also? this is a complicated undertaking I know, and I think dividing up the responsibility is  a good way to go.

Edit: I'm basically visualizing a community roleplay, probably oriented around a Certain Tavern (The Vulgar Unicorn, of course) and with different individuals involved in pursuing their own goals and ends (which is very in keeping with the books) crossing paths to form into small groups which are handled by a GM when they are fiddling with that GM's particular plot elements, say...And a person can be a GM for one group of people and be running a character in another GM's shindig.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Jr

I didn't really think of us as having a dozen interested people. Most of the interest posts in this thread are nearly a month old. It's likely they've lost interest or found another game right now, should we really be counting them?

RubySlippers

I'll play as long as its DnD3.5 or Pathfinder, I have a character idea or two that could be fun.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Jr on April 18, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
I didn't really think of us as having a dozen interested people. Most of the interest posts in this thread are nearly a month old. It's likely they've lost interest or found another game right now, should we really be counting them?

That's a valid point. I hadn't looked at the earlier dates because there were a slew of recent ones towards the end...Someone necroed the thread and it enjoyed brief popularity. I take it back, the original post is on March 23, and it has been being rebumped every 2-3 days since, apparently, so it never REALLY necroed.

That does suggest the OP is long gone, though.

Okay, so how many people ARE we talking about, then? Let's see...I see half a dozen since the beginning of April, and another three if we include the last week of March.

And I still think, due to the style and ideas of the original text, that this would work better with several small 2-3 person groups with multiple GMs and a bit of interaction between them.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

RubySlippers

If we do pathfinder I'm thinking an ultimate skulker someone that blends into the crowd and can move around evading detection, a messenger maybe for a woman of quality and wealth maybe a courtesan sort for fun and useful duties. Just an idea though. There is an archetype just for this sort of character. I could also so a bard/rogue with a focus on the bard on performing with illusions and healing since attacking with magic is not idea it seems if starting at higher than 1st level.

If DnD 3.5 likely will focus on one thing and do it well like be an athletic high rise burglar making money as an acrobat and jugggler also OR be a great pick pocket OR observant a great lookout.

Just a few of my ideas.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Jr

I started reading the series since I bumped this thread and I'm really starting to see the merit in multiple small parties, given the narrative structure of the first book. I'll volunteer to take on 3 or 4 players who know less of the setting than I do. Who else wants to DM?

Jr

I've made a seperate thread for the game. Anyone still interested can sign up here : https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=138399.0