To get the best machine to run ITunes with...

Started by Lord Drake, December 27, 2010, 05:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Drake

I don't know if someone here can help me... I am trying to figure out what could be the best machine that would allow to get the best from ITunes.

I am figuring it should be an Apple computer... but what is that is available and does not cost (too) much and still can be used as a solid support to build up a massive database? I have an (over)due Christmas present to make and the person in question is a fanatic of music and Ipods. I would like to get something that can be safely expected to last long without (if possible) bleeding my wallet to death...

Keeping in mind that I am european and so I have access to the european market... thanks for your help!

;D
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Spell

Working as a Sales representative for Apple, I might be able to help. As far as I know, iTunes is pretty platform independent, so as far as Machines go you needn't get a Apple Device concerning iTunes as iTunes functions the same on Windows and Mac OSX. iTunes simply remembers while your files are located on the machine if the songs are dropped into iTunes and automatically creates a library.. (Works wonders if you have a separate folder in which you dump your music in).

If you were still thinking about an Apple device though then there are several options. Does the person in question have a proper Monitor/Keyboard and Mouse? Then you could consider the Mac Mini. It's basically the same as the cabinet of a desktop computer but with Mac OSX and the programs that come with it. They come with either 320 of 500 GB drives, and are available from 600 Euros, and will definitely go quite a long way if it's used for Music and basic stuff. While it (only) had a core 2 Duo processor, keep in mind that Macs work differently and are more efficient then Windows devices concerning use of processors. ^^;
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Callie Del Noire

Spell is right.. the Mac Mini is pretty much the 'bare bones' system. It's basic set up is short, sweet and to the point.

He's also right in that you're not entirely dependant on ANY OS/Platform for iTunes. I used a whole bunch of Windows machines with iTunes. The only problem I ever had was making sure my sound system was turned up to the right volume. Now some of my 'music snob' friend would possibly insist all sorts of audio cards and speaker set ups. But like I said, they are audio snobs. :D

IF you want to pipe stuff from iTunes to the TV, you MIGHT want to look into a Apple TV (99 dollars here state side, not sure the cost in Euro) but I also think there are some shareware options out there that let you do the same thing without.

Lord Drake

Thanks!!

Basically the person in question wants somewhere to pull down music with ITunes and listen to it with a decent quality. Her sister is an Apple-fanatic and is bugging her to get the latest model (I don't know what is it - I will ask - but the price would be very high). I managed to stop her with her wallet half open... :P

I figured that Apple could be the best choice regarding the quality/price balance keeping in mind that I want the best available for a reasonable price (and yes, I know that it is a big grey area there...).
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton