Original Superheroes. Freeform with system influence (CLOSED)

Started by NileGoddess, July 07, 2011, 02:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NileGoddess

Setting
There is an ongoing battle in Ursa City. The shadowy group of men and women known only as The League have the crime network wrapped around their finger, slowly corrupting the citizens like an infectious cancer as they spread their evil will little by little. On the other side of the fence is the Order of Valor, a group of heroes and heroines dedicated to stopping The League. They go head to head with their enemies with back up from the law enforcement to put a stop to them once and for all.  Both sides know that the city is only a beachhead; if The League succeeds in eradicating the Order, their first step in global domination is secure. On the other hand, if The League is wiped out, peace will slowly but surely spread across the globe.

Characters Needed
Looking for both superheroes/heroines and supervillains/villainesses that each have one or two powers or abilities, in addition to weaknesses that counteract the strengths/powers. A template is provided. There’s no limits on powers, with the exception of the number of them and you can't make an overpowered invincible character; you can go with a magical background, science fiction, fantasy, tied in to some existing comic arc, or anything that tickles your fancy. We will obviously need a minimum amount of players to actually start the game, so the more the merrier! The game itself isn't sexual based, but sexual characters and scenarios are perfectly acceptable and encouraged.

System
This is my first attempt at using a dice system, so any help is much appreciated! Right now, the desired system is in a semi-working form, but I need people with experience in dice systems to help weed out any issues, as well as give suggestions to make it more streamlined. My intention is to give several story arcs that will serve as the basic overall plot. We will start with one arc, but the outcome will not be pre-determined. Instead, it will be determined by confrontations between The Order and The League, the winners of which determined by the dice rolls. Each arc will have a ‘weight’ that makes the consequences more dire for either side in future arcs. I will manage the rolls, as well as be taking the seat of The League leadership to give a sense of authority. It’s not my intent to dictate where the story goes exactly, however. My role will be more GM than anything else. See below the character template for system, dice, and bonus details. I’d also like if someone would head The Order as well to help lead the characters.

PM and/or post your interest/character in this thread. PM me if you have any questions on how to use the template, because it’s a trite complicated template with the given coding. Here are the steps you need to follow to submit a character.

• Fill out the fields, and use your imagination! Replace anything in parentheses.
  • Pick 1-2 strengths and/or abilities (your character's superpowers)
  • Pick 1-2 weaknesses/exploits that compliment and balance your character's powers
  • There are three 'classes' to choose from for the attributes: Power,  (Strength/Endurance), Speed (Speed/Agility), Mental (Intellect/Perception). Assign each of these as Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. Add +4 to both Primary skills, +2 to both Secondary, and 0 to Tertiary. (All Attributes start at 0).
  • Place 4 points into any of the remaining attributes as you desire. It should reflect your character’s concept (ie, a physically strong character would not have a high intellect).

Commitment
All players must read and swear to the Oath of the Drake for Group Games. People dropping early or in the middle of the game will ruin it. Secondly, I reserve the right to decline player's character applications; just because you post a character does not mean you will be accepted. If it is something minor and easily fixed, you will be allowed to do so. If you are just not suited for the game, I request you accept the fact with dignity and maturity.

[center][font=impact][size=20pt]Dossier on (Hero/Villain Name)[/size][/font][/center]
[float=right][img width=400 padding=5](Image link here)[/img][/float]

[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Real name:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Real name)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Alignment:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Order/League)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Profession:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Day Job/Real Life)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Strengths:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms][list]
[li][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Strength/Power)[/font][/size][/b][/li]
[li][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Strength/Power)[/font][/size][/b][/li]
[/list][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Weaknesses:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms][list]
[li][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Weakness/Flaw)[/font][/size][/b][/li]
[li][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Weakness/Flaw)[/font][/size][/b][/li]
[/list][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Suspected Origin:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](How they got their abilities)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Power Description:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](How their abilities work)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms]Role in Order/League:[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[td][b][size=14pt][font=trebuchet ms](Explain a little bit about what their role is in their respective group)[/font][/size][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[center][font=georgia][size=18pt]Attributes[/size][/font]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Strength: [/td]
[td]Speed: [/td]
[td]Intellect: [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Endurance: [/td]
[td]Agility: [/td]
[td]Perception: [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

System Specifics
Most encounters, whether they be between players or the environment, will be determined via dice rolls,  and we will be using The Fate System. It utilizes 4 Fudge dice, which are 6-sided, consisting of 2 blank sides, 2 +1 sides, and 2 -1 sides.

The Dicebot coding looks as follows:

• Dice=4
  • Sides=3
  • Mod=-2
Zeros are placed elsewhere, with the exception of Add. Add is where you will apply various bonuses, including attribute bonuses. For example, a Power character attacks with strength. If they have a strength of 4, put a 4 in Add. Bonuses will also pertain to certain situations and actions, as well as reflect what kind of character you are playing in a given environment.

All rolls will be sent to me, and I will relay the results, either in PM or in the thread, I haven’t decided which is best yet. As far as determining encounters, again, this is my first attempt at being this in depth of a GM; I will do my best to be fair, and will be more than accepting of suggestions and critiques.

Combat
If characters wish to initiate a battle, one must first attack with their primary attribute. The other character defends with their chosen primary defense. In order to win a battle, characters must roll at least +1 higher than a defending roll. Ties result in a re-roll as dictated by the GM, depending on if a victory needs to be achieved.

(Attack/Defense)
Strength/Endurance
Speed/Agility
Intellect/Perception

A Power character attacks a Speed character. The Power character would be using strength, and the Speed character would have to use agility to doge the attack.

In the event of the attacker winning, the defending character has two options. They may roll and try to flee with a bonus that reflects their primary defense, or they may try one last desperate attempt to win. Should the latter fail, their failed counter attack will be blocked, and they will be knocked unconscious.

In the event of a defender winning against an attacker, the defender is given bonus points, and the attacker rolls with their current attribute, and defender re-rolls with the boosted defense. The defender must get +1 above the attacker to win the battle. If there is a tie, or a margin of one, the rolls reset as in the beginning of the fight.

Unconscious players are unable to roll or post until they wake up (determined by the GM). They can be rescued from battle by an ally through a roll challenge.

Situational rolls
Rolls will also be requested by the GM when a specific action needs to be take place. For example: there is a locked steel door blocking the way. A character with high strength could use their strength bonus to try and break it down. A character without the strength bonus would have a much harder time. In fact, nearly impossible. They will have to find another way (if possible), or see if they can pass the door with an ability of their own.

Roll Heirarchcy
-3: Pathetic
-2: Terrible
-1: Poor
0: Average
+1 Mediocre
+2: Fair
+3: Good
+4: Great
+5: Superb
+6: Fantastic
+7: Epic
+8: Legendary

Positive Bonuses
+1 Counter attack: defender uses if attack fails (does not win by +1)
+2 Surprise attack: attacker uses if character is unaware.
+3 Exploit: Attacker/Defender, depending on who exploits whose weakness
+1 Desperation: if choosing to attack after defeat, they gain a +1 bonus to their defense. However, if they fail, they will be knocked unconscious.
+2 Stat bonus: Whenever a character has to roll to determine an event, and that event matches their specialty

Negative Bonuses
-2 Distraction: If a character is currently engaged in battle, and another character attacks, they lose 2 defense points.
-() Injury: Dependent on previous battle, consecutive battles may injure a character, and they lose both attack and defense points. GM decision as to severity, based on length of battle.
-4 Restraint: A character is conscious, but restrained and unable to do anything. A roll may be performed in an escape attempt if applicable.

More bonuses will be decided through suggestions and further plot progression. As always, those with dice experience would be a big help in determining if there are any glaring holes in this system.

NileGoddess

After consideration, please post characters here at first. I can always compile them in a separate character thread later.

Remec

Dossier on Thunderclap

Alignment:Order
Profession:Rocksinger and guitarist
Strengths:

• Sonic clap: Slams hand against a surface and either creates a wave of sonic and kinetic energy along that surface or through the air around/beyond it
  • Mimicry: Can vocalize any sound he has heard. Particularly unique or complicated ones might require a check against either Intellect or Perception
Weaknesses:

• Groupie Addiction: Has a tendency to fall for, believe the best, of girls in the usual age range for his fan base.
  • Has limited real control or finesse with sonic power. It tends to be a sledge hammer, not a xylophone mallet.
Suspected Origin:Mutancy, began my copying sounds as a child, Sonic power developed after a particularly angst-filled teenage date
Power Description:(See above) Essentially, the flow of adrenaline can be utilized to generate a well of potential energy which is transformed into a mix of sonic and kinetic energy through a sharp contact between parts of Newell's body (he tends to use his hands or a stomp of his foot) or himself and some durable surface.
Role in Order/League:Bit of a reserve cleanup crew. Power is strong but not as controlled as others would like--collateral damage is a big risk

Attributes

Power: 6Speed: 0Intellect: 2
Endurance: 4Agility: 1Perception: 3

NileGoddess

Welcome Remec! So far, your character looks fine. I'll give him a thorough examination in the near future.

Foxy DeVille

Dossier on Milady de Winter

Alignment:League
Profession:Idle Lady of Leisure
Strengths:

• Hypothermodynamics
  • Longevity
Weaknesses:

• Bio-Thermal Dependency
  • Transsexual Prejudice
Suspected Origin:Milady de Winter is the actual character from The Three Musketeers, a French noblewoman with a dark secret. While the novel glossed over this, the truth is she was a man dressing as a woman. This was considered an abomination back in the 17th century and the hatred she experienced when her to become a spy and assassin.. Arrested and sent to an asylum for her "insanity," she befriended an elderly senile alchemist who crafted a formula that would preserve her youth and beauty forever. It also had the inadvertent side effect of giving her powers over cold. After escaping, de Winter eventually took part in the French Revolution under an assumed name and encouraged its bloodthirstiness. During the first half of the 20th century, she became a Nazi agent and personally executed several members of the French Resistance. Before Berlin fell, de Winter escaped with countless treasure the Nazis had seized in France and made her way to America under the name Charlotte Backman. With the rise of superhumans, she began to act like a comic book villainess for the fun of it. She used her real name, now associated with a notorious fictional character, as her "alias." She became one of the earliest members of the League and remains in good standing to this day.

Power Description:Milady de Winter can create large amounts of cold, as well as ice if there is sufficient moisture. She has a great deal of precision with her powers and trains to be somewhat artistic with her creations. By touching someone she can drain their body heat. By absorbing bio-thermal energy, she retains her youth and appears to be in her early to mid-thirties.
Role in League:Milady de Winter uses her skill at seduction and assassination for the League. As she has done countless times over the centuries, she has chosen to avoid an overt leadership position and instead prefers to advise.

Attributes

Power: 0Speed: 3Intellect: 4
Endurance: 1Agility: 3Perception: 5

Dirigible

Dossier on Venture

Profession:Construction Worker
Strengths:

• Automagnetokinesis
  • Futurelore
Weaknesses:

• Magnetic Susceptibility
  • Man Out Of Time
Suspected Origin: “If you want to imagine the future, imagine a supervillain's boot stamping a human face into the mud – forever.” Venture claims to come from the future – a future where the League has already won and established a global empire of evil. The leader of the Resistance, he lead an attack on the fortress of the villain Chronex at the cost of many heroes' lives, and narrowly managed to activate Chronex's time portal to fling himself back to a time when there was still a hope for averting the triumph of malevolence.
Power Description:Venture's body is suffused with iron nanoparticles. This grants him several abilities: enhanced toughness and an integral magnetic forcefield; super-strength; and the ability to fly by repelling himself from the Earth's magnetic field. It is disrupted by intense magnetic fields and ferromagnetic objects. He cannot apply superhuman strength to objects primarily consisting of iron, steel, cobalt, etc. He could lift a boulder or a steel-reinforced concrete slab, but not a steel I-beam.

Though history is a fractally branching labyrinth of possibilities, Venture's origin in the future means he is sometimes familiar with beyond-cutting-edge technology, and may be able to guess about the vague course of events to come. Venture is not entirely familiar with the mores and technology of the present.
Role in Order:Venture has two possible roles in the Order: Leader, or Cassandra. If the other members are willing to accept his claims and stewardship, he will become their general in the war against the League. If they are more dubious of him he may take the role of doomsayer and unheeded warning, striving to hold off the villains and convince his fellows of the magnitude of the danger before them. In combat and when defending civilians he is unhesitatingly self-sacrificing, putting his body between more vulnerable teammates or innocents and harm.
Attributes

Strength: 5Speed: 3Intellect: 0
Endurance: 6Agility: 2Perception: 0

Hey, is there any chance of a rank chart for some of the Attributes? It would be handy to know what the difference between, say, Strength 2 and 3 or Speed 4 and 5 is in tons of lifting capacity or miles per hour. I'm familiar with other supers RPG system, so I could help out with benchmarking if you wish.

NileGoddess

Dirigible, I need you to trim down your profile, specifically the strengths and weaknesses part. Leave the strengths' names or descriptions, the weaknesses down to a sentence, and use the powers description area to elaborate. Again, keep it on the shorter side, around a paragraph. Otherwise, he looks interesting. I'll have to think about the influence he has on the future and make sure it won't be an issue for anything.

Oh, and Foxy, the edits you made via PM were fine.

NileGoddess

Dossier on The Countess

Alignment:The League
Profession:CEO of Laprade Enterprise
Strengths:

• Energy Drain
  • Superior Intellect
Weaknesses:

• Ordinary human endurance
  • Energy Drain is very brief
Suspected Origin:Dione lived a sheltered life of luxury, and breezed through school at an unnaturally pace. Early in her teenage years, during puberty, she discovered her vampiric tendency. Pets, friends, and later, even lovers in bed would quickly succumb to intense exhaustion, while her own energy would increase by many times. It wasn't until she discovered that her father bred her to be of supreme intelligence, and that her newfound abilities were a side-effect. Horrified that she was a test tube experiment, she took revenge on her father, taking control of the family industry. Through years of research, she learned to control her power at will, and even learn to enhance its effects.
Power Description:Dione has the ability to sap anyone of their strength for a limited time through skin-to-skin contact, and add it to her own. An ordinary person would feel an intense exhaustion, to the point where they can barely move. Against anyone superhuman, Dione is also able to acquire some of their abilities for a limited time. The exchange lasts briefly, however, as soon as contact is broken, and Dione returns to the average physique of a human woman.
Role in League:Dione is the Queen Bee of The League. She makes the plans and her subordinates execute them. By day, she is a powerful executive that runs a very successful global corporation. By night, she goes by the alias The Countess, and heads the group of evil villains in a plot to dominate the world using the resources of her company. What she lacks in power upfront in a fight she makes up in cunning and strategy, though any tight spot she gets into is always a result of her physical weakness, and the nature of her high-profile identity. For this reason, she prefers to work in the shadows while her her top lieutenants do her work for her.

Attributes

Strength: 0Speed: 2Intellect: 6
Endurance: 0Agility: 2Perception: 6

Dirigible

Quote from: NileGoddess on July 09, 2011, 05:06:22 PM
Dirigible, I need you to trim down your profile, specifically the strengths and weaknesses part.

Verbosity restrained as requested. If the time-travel thing seems problematic, we can always throw in some degree of amnesia as a side-effect, or make the ripples in causation from his arrival so severe that all the specific details he knows become irrelevant ("The Countess? Huh. The history books in my time say the League was headed by Doctor Vile.")

What attribute would an 'energy blaster' character use to attack with?

NileGoddess

Hm, probably strength, I would imagine. That's where this system starts to break down, I'm afraid. In the end, it's really irrelevant as to which powers you choose when it comes to combat. It's also not really all that fine, given it's comprised of three different stats divided into six. Environment specific rolls won't be so generic though, and I'm hoping we can make things evolve a little.

Current players, I would like to request that you think of possible story arcs to roleplay, if any come to mind. I've thought of a few, but it would be nice to see what everyone has to think.

RedEve

I'm not very good at system games either, would you help out with the dice stuff if I joined up?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

NileGoddess

I can tell you how to use the dicebot, if that's what you mean.

RedEve

Dossier on Star Flash

Profession:Secretary
Strengths:

• Super-human speed
  • Expert in hand-to-hand combat
Weaknesses:

• Overconfidence
  • Short temper
Suspected Origin:Martial arts proficiency comes from years of training, starting as a young child. She owes her super-human speed to a mutagen gene. It only started manifesting itself once she got into puberty.   
Power Description:Her superior speed manifests itself in the velocity of her body movements as well as the quickness of her mind to process sensory input.
Role in Order/League:Just a regular grunt who gets put in the vanguard of any attack for her hand-to-hand combat skills.

Attributes

Power: 2Speed: 5Intellect: 1
Endurance: 3Agility: 4Perception: 1

NileGoddess

Love her RedEve! Very nice!

On a side not, I completely messed up my own attributes. Fixed now.

Oh, and Dirigible, I didn't see your edit below your profile. If you could, send me some of what you know, and I'll see how it fits in with the game. Otherwise, we'll just wing it or something.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: NileGoddess on July 10, 2011, 10:00:35 AMCurrent players, I would like to request that you think of possible story arcs to roleplay, if any come to mind. I've thought of a few, but it would be nice to see what everyone has to think.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky... try to take over the world!

RedEve

In terms of plot, perhaps the Order gets wind of a big score or evil plan from the League and tries desperately to stop them?

NileGoddess

I think that will be the general gist of each arc. Need something actually specific. My goal is to classify each one as Low, Medium, or High stakes, and each corresponding game will have a minor, moderate, or drastic effect on the characters. For example, a Low stakes arc wouldn't really change the course of the story all that much. A win would be more of a slap to the face to the other side. A high stakes arc would do things like permanently alter character interactions, give extra bonuses, etc, to whoever wins it.

RedEve

I see.

Well it would make sense to start with something low stakes then? Just to make everyone acquainted with the game first?

NileGoddess

Definitely this. We wouldn't want a side to get shafted just because people are unfamiliar with things.

NileGoddess

Everyone, the OOC Discussion has been posted in the NC Systems Small Groups section. All who have posted a character thus far have been accepted into the game, so please check in there. The floor is open for discussion of plot elements and concepts. For convenience, the thread is also linked at the very top of this interest check.

NileGoddess

The Character Thread is now up. This is where all approved characters will go. If your character has not been approved, do not post. If your character has been approved, please copy your dossier and reply to the character thread. Thank you. The Character Thread will also be linked at the top of the interest check and the OOC.

samantha_cs

Dossier on Catalyst

Profession:Astronomer
Strengths:

• Amplification of others' superpowers

• Premonitions

Weaknesses:

• Incomplete conscious control of powers

• Ordinary human physical attributes

Suspected Origin:Darius always loved the night sky. As a kid, he spent hours looking at planets and stars through the 10" Cassegrain that was his most beloved possession. Combined with his keen eye for detail and strong intellect, this passion drove him to become an outstanding astronomer.
While observing a rare astronomical event one night, he was overwhelmed by a surge of energy causing him to black out. He awoke later in a hospital, being treated for a mild concussion he sustained, the doctors believed, when he fell. His powers began to manifest shortly thereafter.
Power Description:Catalyst's presence will improve the effects of nearby superheroes' super powers. Intense focus can either damp his contribution to another's power (but not to nothing) or amplify it even more. Otherwise, his power is always active for those within 100 ft of him. He also receives premonitions of future events. Such premonitions are always accurate, but not always clear at the outset.
Role in Order/League:The Order recruited Catalyst out of necessity. His ability makes him a two-edged sword, as it will improve the abilities of both friends and foes. They are endeavoring to teach him better control of his powers, but have only seem limited success so far. Additionally, the Order has learned to trust his premonitions, and use their arrival as a kind of early-warning system.

Attributes

Strength: +0Speed: +2Intellect: +5
Endurance: +0Agility: +2Perception: +7

*Many thanks to Majere_Dreaven and dad_savage for helping me photoshop the image

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

NileGoddess

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Gareth, I'm not overly picky on what images you use. For example, mine has nothing to do with the genre; it's a cosplay from a video game, from what I gather. It'd be nice if it goes with your character, but all the same, don't kill yourself over it.

PhantomPistoleer

Dossier on Kid Arrow

Profession:College Student
Strengths:

• Accomplished Archer
  • Super-Human Vision
Weaknesses:

• Human Physiology
  • Jealous of Siblings
Suspected Origin:Super-human vision manifested at birth; abilities dependant on achievement manifested during early adolescence.

Power Description:Kid Arrow possesses telescopic vision that allows him to read a newspaper from fifty meters away.  He can also manipulate his pupils to detect microscopic details, such as things rendered invisible by vibration.  On account of his suit's enhanced visor, Kid Arrow has nightvision and infrared vision, though he is incapable to use his microscopic sight using either due to hardware pixellation.

As his name implies, Kid Arrow is an Olympic-level archer and marksman.  He uses a compound longbow with a retinue of lethal and non-lethal ordnance in his fight against crime.
Role in Order/League:Kid Arrow is the newest member of the Order, and serves as a ranged complement to the front-line heavy hitters.  He is also the team's scout and infiltrator.

Attributes

Strength: 1 Speed: 4Intellect: 2
Endurance: 1Agility: 4Perception: 4
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O