It would possibley be the greatest hallmark in video games ever

Started by Inkidu, December 28, 2009, 08:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I would really like to see a female protagonist in the next Grand Theft Auto game. Even if it's a downloadable content or the consolized version of Chinatown Wars. (I'm sure it's coming)

I think they could do it, after the wonderful job they did with Niko I'm sure they could put up a female protagonist who wasn't just a piece of eye candy, or a stereotypical model for some kind of ball bustery.

I will continue to dream I think.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

The problem with this is while female protagonists would certainly be awesome creative departments just arent sure what to do with them a lot of the time. This is why we get such "tough chicks" like the girl from Wet (her name escapes me at this moment) whenever they do a somewhat detailed female protagonist and why characters who seem real, like the female character from Prince of Persia: Sands of time, never appear in any decent games.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on December 28, 2009, 08:15:40 PM
The problem with this is while female protagonists would certainly be awesome creative departments just arent sure what to do with them a lot of the time. This is why we get such "tough chicks" like the girl from Wet (her name escapes me at this moment) whenever they do a somewhat detailed female protagonist and why characters who seem real, like the female character from Prince of Persia: Sands of time, never appear in any decent games.
I'm sure they could do it. All you really need for a GTA protagonist would be:

1. A sharp wit.
2. Some kind of troubled past.*
3. The refusal to consume narcotics other than alcohol.

*Honestly if they played the privileged girl who's daddy was a mob boss and she lost it all that would work!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

but you would still get the predictable tough chick whos a complete cliche and who no one could honestly like because the creative design team wouldnt know how to write a proper female protagonist.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

I did that with Saint's Row.. the main character was a spin off of Tilla Tecquila in look.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on December 28, 2009, 08:29:05 PM
but you would still get the predictable tough chick whos a complete cliche and who no one could honestly like because the creative design team wouldnt know how to write a proper female protagonist.
I say nay sir!

I wish I worked for Rockstar now...

Think of a spoiled girl who lost everything and was pushed more on by desperation than feminism. She can't shoot a gun, hardly drive a car. The males in GTA have always had a rather warish background.

I smell stat building again.

EDIT: Sadly I think it has more to do with optimum profiteering. Teenage boys who want to kill the hooker they just saw bounce a freaking car with than appreciate a good story. Serious GTA IV was a work of freaking (thought tongue-in-cheek) art! They could do it the money says otherwise.

Brandon

Then again, maybe Im being a bit presumptuous. Maybe its the fact that these "touch chicks" seem to make them more money that they wont do anything outside of the cliche?

The character you suggest could go through a tutorial for the player to learn the skills of fast driving and gunning down poeple which would simultaneously teach her and the player the ins and outs of the game. Thats a good thing because it puts gameplay and story together which is what I like to see.

Inkidu

I was thinking of an extended use of the Assassin's Creed idea. It takes time to develop skill. Not decades, but every protagonist comes from a skilled background of sorts, and to have the story start with an unskilled hero sounds awesome.

Seriously though if you think about it it might work. It would be somewhat refreshing to play a protagonist who couldn't take out a room full of SWAT with a pistol and a 100% head shot rating. Kind of like CJ from San Andreas but instead of just making him more bad ass it serves to learn the protagonist a thing or two.

The cover mechanics favor this. I'd like to see her take more desperate base slides into cover than professionally roll into it. Or cover her ears when she blind fires a pistol or closes her eyes when she's actually aiming so that the occasional shot goes astray. Not have the skills of the KGB, MI6, and Rambo rolled into one.

Brandon

Realistic and refreshing but would it be fun is the question.

My problem with the recent GTA's is the game has taken that dark and gritty edge which is less fun for me. Its probably been beaten to death but the whole thing where you have to wheel your cousin around to places and pretend to enjoy yourself to get missions was just a deal breaker. I enjoyed the series more when it was early on and pretty much set in toon town.

What GTA 4 did was sacrifice fun for realism and thats never a good thing. Fun should always come first

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on December 28, 2009, 10:03:46 PM
Realistic and refreshing but would it be fun is the question.

My problem with the recent GTA's is the game has taken that dark and gritty edge which is less fun for me. Its probably been beaten to death but the whole thing where you have to wheel your cousin around to places and pretend to enjoy yourself to get missions was just a deal breaker. I enjoyed the series more when it was early on and pretty much set in toon town.

What GTA 4 did was sacrifice fun for realism and thats never a good thing. Fun should always come first
It's not that realistic.I have done things with cars in that game I'm not particularly proud off. I am prided on being able to right a vehicle on its roof.

Sure it took a more serious turn, but it's not any more or less gritty. You just didn't care before. I've played more realistic games. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 comes to mind. It's not like you take a hit and you die in GTA 4. It just makes you think more tactically about your situaition and to look for cover. I mean the cover no matter what it is pretty much protects you against any kind of fire.

I've been shotgun blasted many a time in R6V2 through cubicle board and crates.
GTA IV never struck me as all that realistic.

I'm not looking for overhaul I'm looking for morre of a touch hear and there.

Brandon

Its not but it tries to be, thus the problem that sacrifices fun for realism in far to many places.

A touch up to the game and series is fine, as is a female protagonist who actually acts like a real person. The later wont happen till creative departments stop munching on the carpet though.

Starkweather

Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.

Inkidu

Quote from: Yyrkoon on December 29, 2009, 05:24:53 PM
Her name is Ruby, Mr. Brandon.
The chick from wet, she doesn't seem to me to break any of the stereotypes.

Brandon

I think you misunderstood me, I said its because creative departments dont know what to do with female protagonists that we get the cliche and unlikable characters like Ruby

Inkidu

I suppose. I haven't actually played the game but you're not giving creative departments their do. I'm certain they could but I think it's just cost/effect. More (under seventeen for sure) teenage boys play GTA. Sad.

upanddown4life

Yes, we wouldn't want cliches and stereotypes in GTA, would we?

I think a female main character is inevitable. We might even see her in the PS3's time. Personally, I'd rather they just let us make out own character, with female as an option, but thats me. I also think a better hallmark for GTA would be cars that don't have gremlins in them during races.
I just hope that doesn't become her defining trait, that she isn't "the girl" among GTA characters. At the same time, if her being a woman never comes into play in an important way, why make her one? But the most obvious ways of doing this are to either make her girly, which wouldn't work, or make her sexy, which often seems to be the end of the creative process for female characters. Maybe try making her kind of like Heather in Silent Hill 3. She's not video game sexy, but shes not ugly and she's a complete character. Shes in over her head before realizing anything is wrong and has to fight her way out with her soul and a pipe. With fewer religious aspects, this could work for GTA, too. Maybe instead of ridin' on gangs with an itchy trigger finger and a one-liner stolen from Boyz N tha Hood, they ride on her and she isn't too happy about it.

Quote from: Brandon on December 28, 2009, 10:03:46 PMWhat GTA 4 did was sacrifice fun for realism and thats never a good thing. Fun should always come first

If the right people lived by this, games would be perfect.

TheWriter

Two-step solution:

1) Switch to the Saints Row series.
2) Never look back.

SR gives you so much more than the latest GTA offering, including a female protagonist.

Quote from: Brandon on December 28, 2009, 10:03:46 PM
Couldn't agree more.  GTA has become the crime simulation.  The SR franchise has taken up the crime game mantle.

Inkidu

You know all this realism before fun stuff sounds good, and I'm inclined to agree sort of, but look at all the Grand Turismo fans, or all the damn people who play Microsoft Flight Simulator, Sim City (The old-ass hard one). Games like that which are purely as simulation as you can get. So there is something to be said for realism.

Brandon

Well I dont know about you Ikidu but I have always and still do have a blast with Ace combat 6 because its fun for me to fly around and blow up other planes. Racing games are more of competitive fun IMO much like multiplayer FPS games now a days. I cant speak for Sim city or the sims though as I find them both very boring