News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pricing

Started by Asphodel Terrarium, May 08, 2015, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asphodel Terrarium

Well, I've been thinking of the genral topic of pricing. This is whether you're selling cleaning solutions, notebooks, old items, or stocks.

For discussion mainly on the stock market, this thread is more appropriate: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=222049.0

Meh, I've been thinking this because in real life, I do not know what price these old items would worth, now that they are second-hand, third hand too! I would sell items such as these for a price lower than the initial price I bought it. But then, there are times when I forgot since the price tag has long been removed.

Never mind about my stocks. I think I have technical analysis, trends and charts to guide and help me,  ??? but these old items really bother me!

Mikem

It's simple depreciation coupled with current demand for the item. Once an item has been purchased from the maker, it's value steadily drops over time until it's worth just pennies. However if it's a unique item or an item that has a lot of interest to certain buyers, that would then drive the price up, especially if it's very hard to come by these days.

But when you're just trying to sell something, the best thing you could probably do is ask for the buyer's best offer, instead of setting one yourself. That way you could be sure you got the most from those interested.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Asphodel Terrarium

By the way, how does real estate appreciates in value? As in investing in real estate. Since buildings depreciate over time. It couldn't be like some old coins and money bills that become valuable because they are rare.

Mikem

Quote from: Asphodel Terrarium on May 08, 2015, 01:51:22 AM
By the way, how does real estate appreciates in value? As in investing in real estate. Since buildings depreciate over time. It couldn't be like some old coins and money bills that become valuable because they are rare.

The property, or the building itself? It depends on the location, what's on that property, and what's around it. If it's a good sized land with nearby access to shopping, schools ect. then the land value is high. If it's a lot out in the sticks then it's pretty worthless. Buildings to depreciate but if they're well maintained, renovated or added onto, that raises the value of the house or structure.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Asphodel Terrarium

Quote from: Mikem on May 08, 2015, 03:01:58 AM
The property, or the building itself? It depends on the location, what's on that property, and what's around it. If it's a good sized land with nearby access to shopping, schools ect. then the land value is high. If it's a lot out in the sticks then it's pretty worthless. Buildings to depreciate but if they're well maintained, renovated or added onto, that raises the value of the house or structure.
Thank you!

eBadger

If you're selling secondhand stuff, the best tactic is to do a bit of research and see what similar items are going for (ebay, craigslist, collector boards, etc).  And of course make some determination whether you're trying to make money or just get rid of it. 

Real estate is a massively complex notion, but there are a few basics.  It's worth the cost of the land plus improvements (such as buildings).  Since structures are generally built to last there's some depreciation, but it maintains fairly well assuming proper care, although the type of building can make a big difference, too. 

There are lots of tools for finding out costs.  Zillow.com will give you a pretty notion.  You can also look at the county auditor records which will tell you the assessed value (be aware that price is almost always low).