Belkin is very stupid...

Started by Milanthe, September 13, 2012, 08:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milanthe

Okay, so I ordered a couple usb hubs from amazon a week ago, and plug them in and they worked great.  A couple days ago, the one I've been using with my computer decided that it wasn't going to tell my computer what it was.  "Unknown Device", all drivers updated, yada, yah.  So I uninstalled the drivers, tried again a few times, restarted my computer a few times to see if that would work, even switched out the usb cord with the other one.  Still nada.  I finally call Belkin tech support, and find out promptly that their usb hub has not been updated since before windows 7 came out (didn't it come out like two or three years ago???).  And that it's only supposed to be compatible with up to Windows Vista as a result, and the tech support wasn't helpful beyond that.  Anyone have any tricks I might use to get this thing working? 
Back from the deadish...  I hope...  Is deadish a word?

Remiel

Yeah, Belkin is amazingly, mind-blowingly neglectful when it comes to updating their drivers.

Are we talking about a USB-to-serial port adapter here?

Milanthe

These are the usb hubs I bought.  I haven't tried the smaller one with my computer since I tried it the first time to see if it would work.  It's kind of stuck behind my (VERY heavy )dresser right now so I'm not willing to fish it out to see if it works until I know the larger one isn't going to work anymore.

Belkin 7 port hub
Belkin 4 port hub

setphaserstofun

I used a string of USB Belkin hubs at work and never found them to be very reliable. In the end I just use USB extension cables instead of a hub, which probably isn't very useful if you've got more USB devices than ports.

mayovagn

Belkin generally have a reputation for using the cheapest possible nonsense in all their hardware.

Although... Every USB hub I have played with that had more than five ports has had serious issues and I would not recommend using anything in that order frankly. I did once manage to find some reliable ten port USB hubs and bought a good number of them, but only after testing the one I had extensively.

A pair of powered four port hubs are likely to give you far better results than one seven port in my experience.

Sorry, this isn't likely the answer you were looking for.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Milanthe

Maybe none of the answers I was looking for, but at least they're honest.  I got a more dependable four port from my local radio shack, and I'll just keep these as expensive usb chargers, I suppose, as I can't return them.  :P  Thanks for the help, guys. 

Serephino

The only thing I can say is switch to another brand.  We had a Belkin router for a while, and while the tech support guy of theirs was the only one who could help us get a computer with Vista to connect to the internet, the router was crap.  We got a Linksys router after that and have had very few problems since.