Got that medieval itch I just can't seem to scratch

Started by Theo, November 30, 2015, 08:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theo

I'm looking for a medieval setting rp, be it fantasy or no. I can play a wide range of characters, from the street rat to a more royal figure, and anyone in between. I don't mind playing guys or girls, I feel pretty comfortable playing as either. I'd love to find a small to medium sized group to play with if at all possible. Other than that, the only thing i ask is that the story focus more on the adventure/quest, rather than the smutty stuff. I get that stuff like that is going to happen, but I don't enjoy smut for smut's sake. I'm definitely more of a player than a GM when it comes to rps, so please keep that in mind.
Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure.

On and off

Senti

Theo

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking honestly. I think my brain might be on the fritz from today x.x It's been a long, long, LONG day

On and off

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Theo on December 02, 2015, 05:56:47 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking honestly. I think my brain might be on the fritz from today x.x It's been a long, long, LONG day
I'm pretty sure Senti was asking whether you want a historical medieval game or a (pseudo-) medieval fantasy game.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Theo

Oooooh. Pseudo medieval fantasy game for sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

On and off

Logoff

I would be up for a fantasy medieval rp! Mark me down once it gets started and give me the heads up! ;)

LunaTalula

Haven't done forum RP in awhile and came across this. I'm looking for something more action/adventure than the smutty stuff as well. I'm all for trying to help think of something!

Cassandra LeMay

Two questions for you, Theo:

(1) Are you thinking about a system game or freeform?

(2) What does "pseudo medieval" constitute for you? No magic and/or supernatural creatures at all, or a setting that has room for some magic and/or fantastical creatures, even if the players may not wield any magic? (I guess an example of the latter might be the Arthurian legends.)

ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Theo

@Logoff: You got it!

@Luna: Awesome :) Maybe you, Cassandra, and I can knock our heads together and come up with something :)

@Cassandra: 1)Freeform, just to give players more....erm....freedom I guess. and 2)Either or works for me honestly, but I think in order to have a more diverse story the latter of those two options would be better.

On and off

LunaTalula

Sounds like a plan! :) I agree with the freeform based RP.

Cassandra LeMay

Something to think about is the "adventure" part of the whole thing. The more realistic you get with the setting, the more limited you are. Dungeons full of treasure and monsters might be pretty much off the menu. A mundane murder mystery might be something to occupy the players, but that would be more investigative than action-oriented. Dealing with some bandits or wild animals might be more realistic, but then, that#s what professional hunters and soldiers are for. Only if the players are that, they will be part of a chain of command, having to take orders and only limited freedom to make their own choices.

Traveling around could be another problem. Most people in medieval times probably lived a pretty stationary life. Then again, perhaps restricting player mobility a little isn't bad in a freeform game, if the game plays out more as a sandbox than a GM-driven thing. If everyone can go off in a different direction, things might get difficult to handle.

How about non-humans? Do they exist at all? If they exist, will they be playable races, or NPC "background elements"?

Lets brainstorm this a bit and see what comes up.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Theo

@Cassandra: See, its things like that that are the reason I know I don't make a good gm or anything like that lol. I wasn't thinking about that stuff. I guess I was thinking more along the lines, and need to change the title to, being more fantasy based rather than medieval. Or rather, medieval/fantasy. That's what I'm really looking for.

I think some non-humans could exist, and some could make up the antagonist faction(s).

I'm sorry that's all I got right now. I just got up and my brain is still in half grog mode.

On and off

LunaTalula

All very good thoughts! I'm leaning towards magic being allowed with some non-human races. I've a few character ideas of my own if we go that route.