Fall of Rapture (A Bioshock Interest Check)

Started by AmbrosiaPudding, December 25, 2013, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmbrosiaPudding

The Fall of Rapture

In 1955 when Andrew Ryan began to use his resources to build his great city, beneath the Atlantic Ocean, he didn’t see the fall of it. Instead he sought to find a place in which society’s elite, those who could afford it, a chance to flourish under Government control. Scientific progress, with the help of Dr. Brigid Tenenbaum greatly began to expand. At first it was simple, finding way to cure common ailments, making people have the figures they want. It began to grow rapidly though, moving quickly into DNA including the discovery of the plasmid ADAM created by sea slugs on the ocean floor.

Obviously this Roleplay will begin before Jack’s plane crashes. Before Splicers even exist because Tenenbaum is still working with Fontaine to develop their first Plasmid, Incinerate. I would like to see us go through the fall of the City, the battle of Ryan vs. Fontaine where Fontaine pretends to die. For awhile things will still be wonderful. Sex, booze, dancers, things of that nature, Fontaine trying to get a girl close to Ryan, Ryan trying to get Tenenbaum on his side, Ryan trying to get a girl close to Fontaine, the works.

I wouldn’t mind someone playing Fontaine, or Tenenbaum. I don’t want us to feel obliged to follow the exact story line that the game goes by though later if someone would like to play Jack that’d be awesome! I will also see the beginning's of Sofia Lamb in this and will include elements of Bioshock 1 as well as 2.

Name:
Status: (This will double as a job of sorts, what you do will determine you status)
Housing: (Do you live in the elite Olympus Heights, the lower Apollo’s square, Pauper‘s Drop?)
Fontaine or Ryan? (Eventually this will be relevant)
Personality:
Background: (How you came to live in Rapture)
Appearance: (Picture or description would do nicely, perhaps even both!)

My Character
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Annabelle Sinclair
Orientation: She has a tendency to get a little curious
Housing: Olympus Heights
Ryan
Personality: Annabelle is a bit reserved, though she loves to smile and crack a joke. She has a strict set of moral’s and likes to keep to herself, though there is a wild streek in her that sometimes appears, as a buxom redhead on Siren’s Ally.
Background: Augustus Sinclair, that smooth talker, brought his sister all her wealth, his good planning, down to Rapture when Ryan first sent a shuttle. Augustus had plans on making himself famous and letting his sister do as she wished, shutting herself up in her room on Olympus Heights and painting. Which was exactly what she intended to do. Soon though Annabelle began to wonder, experiencing different things in Rapture.
Appearance: A tall woman, Annabelle stands at 5’10” with long legs and a very curvaceous form, a little thicker than those of the twiggy girl’s in photos. Her platinum blonde hair is naturally curly, making it appear much shorter than it is. Plump lips, a small, nose, and big blue eyes most would consider her pretty. Though she typically hides it beneath neutral colors, and big, black glasses in which she uses to paint.

(My apologies, how often do you get to use Marilyn in a rp?! I had to take the chance. Though I made her taller.)
Let me become your favorite partner ~

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Datawych

Hmmm.... Color me interested. One question, though.

Constants and variables. There's always a man, and always a city. Any Infinite references, or no? Especially since Burial at Sea's release, I'm starting to think that Rapture isn't so different from Columbia.

AmbrosiaPudding

Wonderful question. As Infinite is set years before Bioshock of course there would be references but that would be about it. It's made to be around the same but it's not also. Also, since I never finished playing Infinite, I actually didn't like it, I won't personally make any references.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Depraved Lucidity

May need to make a character for this. I am in love with Bioshock. :)

AmbrosiaPudding

Thank you for your interest! Bioshock is a wonderful game.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Red Offerings

How will you want the posting pace to be? I'm interested.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

AmbrosiaPudding

The post pace. I thinking it'll be medium? I can do once a day for sure personally.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Endless

I too would be quite interested providing you're fine with someone who's new to group RPs on E specifically.

What sort of numbers were you looking at before starting?

Final question, would you like characters written now and posted here/via PM? :)

AmbrosiaPudding

I have no worries as to whether or not you're new! After all, we all have to start some where.

I was thinking between 4-6 players, with how ever many characters they can handle. If you'd like to post the character here I'd be more than okay with that.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Endless

I do hope this is appropriate/acceptable in which case!

I'm a great lover of creating characters that are not entirely what they appear if you couldn't tell although if it is too far do please let me know :)

Name: 'Maxwell Dúval' – [Maximilian Kharitonov]
Orientation: Heterosexual

Status: The general citizenry would know Maxwell as the proprietor of 'Rapture's Ramparts', a small but greatly acclaimed security agency with many high profile clients. Those within his inner circle however know that Maximilian is in Rapture for other purposes, most notably that he had originally been sent to infiltrate the underwater city by the Soviet Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnost, better known as the KGB.
Housing: Some might find it odd that the owner of a relatively small business like Rampart can afford to live within Olympus Heights. The fact is the small number of employees and large payments from the well-to-do clientèle have allowed Max to amass a nice stash with which he has been able to acquire many of the amenities he would have back in the USSR. This is, of course, not something he tends to admit in his rare communiques to his handlers outside of Rapture.
Affiliation: Whilst Max has his own agenda and plans if there were to be open conflict between the two forces he would most likely stand behind Ryan if only because of his belief of the old 'devil you know' adage.

Personality: As what might be obvious there are two sides to Max, that which the public sees and that which is known to only a few.

Those not in the know would think of the Rampart's owner as a rather smooth-talking and suave negotiator, blessed with a silver tongue. His ability to talk himself out of troublesome situations and into profitable business ventures has been a hallmark of his success and enabled him to become well established since arriving in the city. Max has been said to have an almost 'disarming' nature that has won him many allies, not to mention allowed his reputation (and by extension, his company's reputation) expand and become a household name for those looking to to hire bodyguards and the like. This is certainly something that he has acknowledge and embraced, revelling in the attention it has brought him since it has enabled him to weave his deception masterfully.

Beneath his public image Max is, of course, a man with a rather ruthless ambition spurred on by his KGB handlers. Despite the years spent undercover in Rapture he has pursued his goal of keeping tabs on Ryan and other prominent members of the city relentlessly. The few who know Max in this way understand too that, while he greatly appreciates and lavishes his friends, his enemies are worse than dirt to him. If you find yourself on Max's bad side it is often not long before you know it.

Background: Having grown up within one of the USSR's tributary states the young Maximilian found that life did not grant you any favours at a very young age. His family had not been able to afford his upkeep and he was forced to grow up in a dank and rotting orphanage far from his home. He spent many of his formative years there, right up until he reached the age in which he was required to serve within the armed forces of the nation. By the end of his basic training Max found himself picked for the Intelligence Corp after having displayed an aptitude for the gathering of data and ability to often get others to spill information they were not keen on talking about. This was a turning point for him as after just a couple short years he found himself as one of the KGB's many spies, in particular those meant for infiltration within the United States. Max had undergone strict and often harsh training to formulate a firm grasp on the English language and to adopt a particular accent from the US. It was not easy but by the end of it he had at least managed to suppress his native tongue and pass himself off as an American to anyone but the most learned of linguists.

Max eventually found himself tasked with the infiltration of a supposed underwater city built by former Russian Andrei Rianofski, now passing himself off as 'Andrew Ryan'. Getting into Rapture was easier than expected as he managed to get a hold of information regarding one of the shipments of people entering the city. All he had to do was knock off one of them and take their place, becoming Max Dúval.

For the past 3 years of living within he has continued his observation of Ryan and other more prominent members of the city, having built himself up a rather nice front for doing so. While his contacts with the outside world are few and far between he has managed to accrue wealth and fame within the city like that which he could not have imagined possessing back under Soviet rule. For that he has no intention of seeing his new found way of life changing...

Appearance: Max has the more common traits from his homeland possessing light blue eyes and a rather fair brown colour for his hair. Thankfully these traits did not really stand out in the multicultural and ethnic mix that is Rapture. In terms of height and build he is around an average size for his age standing at just a bit taller than the norm in the city (though he is by no means the tallest man around nor even in his own company). In terms of attire his wardrobes boast a decent amount of finery and traditional clothing of the era, usually opting for suits on formal and business occasions. Considering he is often arranging deals and meeting with high-profile clients he tends to have to stick with this particular type of clothing. Max has always felt it best to look the part so to prevent even the minuscule chance that his cover might be blown. In the times wherein he is not out on business and is resting at home he tends to usually forgo the jacket for a more looser fitting shirt and trousers with which to relax in, sometimes requiring suspenders beneath to keep them in check as is most common during the current 'fashion'.

AmbrosiaPudding

I love him! Especially as you made him a part of the KGB, a very specific mentioning of Ryan's when he is questioning Jack. Let's me know for sure, you at least did your homework. Though I'm fairly certain like me you loved the game too!

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Endless

Pretty much. :)

I was a little at odds as to what to put for his Home and Affiliation but I think I reached a suitable answer for it. I could imagine that he would Fontaine more a danger than Ryan and, I'd say, a rather tougher nut to crack. ;)

AmbrosiaPudding

You sir, I would like you to know that you have forced me to get on my tablet, off my laptop and to simultaneously play my ps3 and be on Elliquiy just so I can play Bioshock all over again.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

WashAutumstar

“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

AmbrosiaPudding

Thank you! We'd gladly take you if you'd liked to play.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

WashAutumstar

I would indeed, problem is, at the moment i am home for the holidays and don't have internet very often, so wouldn't want to slow things down for people. however as soon as i get back to school i'll have plenty of internet and can check daily *smiles* so if you guys are still going in a couple weeks i will excitedly join!

“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

AmbrosiaPudding

Well then hopefully we will see you in a few weeks!

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

WashAutumstar

Also curious, how far along are the development of plasmids, if they are included at all? I mean, i understand there aren't splicers but people still used them before it all went south.

AmbrosiaPudding

Quote from: CarnageIncarnate on January 03, 2014, 01:01:44 AM
Before Splicers even exist because Tenenbaum is still working with Fontaine to develop their first Plasmid, Incinerate.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

WashAutumstar

Conflict

The original Bioshock is still my favorite game of all time; the intellectual battles, the characters, the aesthetic! I would love to join this RP. I'm perfectly happy to play an OC (I'm thinking a Master of Metalworking or a Premier Psychologist), but I also think I could play a very convincing Andrew Ryan. I could try my hand at Frank Fontaine or even Sander Cohen, if the situation requires it, so please let me know if there is room and which role it would be most convenient for me to play.
Currently Playing: This War of Mine
Currently Reading: Robinson Crusoe

AmbrosiaPudding

Quote from: Conflict on January 03, 2014, 01:41:26 AM
The original Bioshock is still my favorite game of all time; the intellectual battles, the characters, the aesthetic! I would love to join this RP. I'm perfectly happy to play an OC (I'm thinking a Master of Metalworking or a Premier Psychologist), but I also think I could play a very convincing Andrew Ryan. I could try my hand at Frank Fontaine or even Sander Cohen, if the situation requires it, so please let me know if there is room and which role it would be most convenient for me to play.

Of course there is room! I was thinking if no one plays Ryan, I'll take it on myself. A psychologist before that of Sofia Lamb might be very interesting after all.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Lyndsey

Hello, I would love to be a part of this if you still need bodies! I was involved in a Bioshock rp some time back, and though it never really took off.

Do you have a particular type of character/profession that you're looking for? Personally, I was thinking maybe someone who works in one of Fontaine's, and perhaps notices a few missing girls and decides to investigate. (if it has happened already of course.)

AmbrosiaPudding

Quote from: cuteshemale on January 03, 2014, 10:55:22 AM
Hello, I would love to be a part of this if you still need bodies! I was involved in a Bioshock rp some time back, and though it never really took off.

Do you have a particular type of character/profession that you're looking for? Personally, I was thinking maybe someone who works in one of Fontaine's, and perhaps notices a few missing girls and decides to investigate. (if it has happened already of course.)

As Fontaine is for sure working on plasmids yes, I'd say there'd be girls missing already for Tenebaums "little Frankenstien's" as he called them. So I think you'd fit right in.

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Lyndsey

Here's what I've been able to come up with. Any comments and critique are most welcome, and I'd be happy to change any aspect if needed to better fit the group.

Name: Christine Weston 

Orientation: Heterosexual

Status: Teacher/Caregiver at Fontaine's Little Sister's Orphanage. When she first arrived in Rapture, Christine was given an opportunity to work with her parents at Fontaine Futuristics, a job she turned down in favor of her current one at an orphanage. Though her parents were disappointed with her choice, they let her be, mainly because their employer also happens to run the orphanages. Recently, Christine decided to pay a visit to one of the girls at the orphanage whom she thought had been adopted. However, she only found an empty apartment on arriving at the address listed on the adoption form. She has yet to bring the matter up with anyone while she conducts her own investigation, since crossing the wrong person in Rapture could have huge consequences. The girls at the orphanage have been the only thing keeping Christine in Rapture, and she has resolved to get to the bottom of the matter.

Housing: Olympus Heights. Christine still lives in the same apartment as her parents, even though she resents the rampant capitalist utopia that is Rapture. She rarely speaks to them and is only ever seen in their company when they need to keep up appearances as a happy, normal family.

Fontaine or Ryan? Neither. Should conflict break out between the two, Christine's loyalty is only to those in her care, and those she considers friends.

Personality: Fiery and passionate, Christine is not someone who is afraid to speak her mind, or give someone else a piece of it if she deems necessary. She is headstrong and stubborn, and it is usually an impossible task to change her mind once she has set it on something. She possesses a quick wit and a sharp tongue, and can be a touch snarky and cynical at times, though she is warm and caring with those she cares about. Christine also has a strong moral compass and a good sense of what's right and what's wrong, and would be one to stand up for those who cannot defend themselves.

Background: The daughter of two prominent doctors back on the surface, James and Elizabeth Weston, Christine was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. The only child, Christine's parents lavished attention on her and provided her with the best things money could buy , toys, clothes, education, the works. As a result, Christine grew up in a bubble, only knowing the life of luxury that she had been born into. All that would change in her teenage years, when she encountered a homeless man scrounging for leftovers in a diner where she had been on a date. Before that, Christine had never really given a thought to the struggles of those who had fallen on hard times, but seeing what they had to do to survive up close was a shock to the system of the girl, who started to seek out ways to help the less fortunate, much to the disdain of her parents. Having grown accustomed to their lavish lifestyles, Christine's parents had adopted a somewhat elitist attitude.

The chain of events made Christine realize how lucky she was, and she began to volunteer her time at homeless shelters, hiding the fact from her parents under the guise of taking up violin lessons. She would also occasionally squirrel away small trinkets or articles of clothing from her parents, and give them to those who needed them more. While this was happening, Christine continued to excel in school, following in her parents footsteps and studying to become a doctor, though she never got to complete her training. During her final year of medical school, her father became embroiled in controversy when he had attempted to treat a patient using an experimental treatment he had developed on his own, causing the patient to lose his life as a result. Faced with an impending lawsuit, Christine's parents decided to leave everything behind and move to Rapture, under the employ of Fontaine Futuristics as medical researchers, taking their daughter along with them at the same time.

Appearance: Standing at 5'11 with hazel eyes and red hair to match her fiery personality, Christine looks like just another one of the wealthy faces in Rapture. Tall, and perhaps a little clumsy, she has a tendency to trip herself up occasionally, or bump her head on low hanging obstacles. She possesses an extensive wardrobe full of the latest designs in fashion, though she usually prefers to dress more plainly in her daily life, only bothering to look her best for the sake of keeping up appearances, when she has to attend the occasional function with her parents. In this respect, she has become a bit of a social chameleon, able to put up a facade depending on current company.