Escape the daily grind with me (Mirath & darkleather)

Started by Mirath, September 30, 2021, 12:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirath

It’s only 7pm… Gotta be kiddin’ me…

Danny sighed as he heard the usual sputtering of the tap that supplied the house special as he went to pour a test pint after he’d just fixed the thing. Even though it was a favourite of their usual customers, the owner simply didn’t have enough money to spend on complete repairs, so the staff often fought with the old machinery to get it to play nice - a bit of coaxing here, a bit of swearing there, and it usually decided to work. If not, well, there was a reason why they had the local repairman’s number under the bar.

The blonde barman cast a quick look around the bar, making sure that nothing untoward was happening, or about to happen, as he was the only one behind the bar at that particular moment. It wasn’t particularly busy, especially for a Saturday night, but trade would pick up in about an hour or so.

People wanted more modern bars, more modern drinks… Bah. Danny was perfectly happy working where he was.

“C’mon… please?…” He muttered to the tap in a want for it to work, begging whatever deity watched over these kind of things.

Writing Style: Third person, 1-3 paragraphs
Romance-only: M/M, M/F
Sexual Preference: M/M

Darkleather

Steve sighed as he walked along the sidewalk, his feet clumping as his engineer boots truck against the pavement.  A heavy session in the gym hadn't done anything to alleviate the frustration of his day at work.  He ran his hands through his short, smart ginger hair as he wondered why he'd ever thought this job would be any different.  He stopped at a crosswalk and looked up.  Any casual observer wouldn't have thought he was worried - 6ft2", heavily built, green eyes hidden behind aviator glasses, his tight black jeans did little to hide his muscles and his leather jacket hang open displaying the t-shirt covering his impressive chest and tight stomach. 

As the light went green and he walked across, he hefted his sports bag over his right shoulder and looked around.  His eye was caught by the window of the bar.  Yes.  A beer would go down well.

He strode into the coolness of the bar and hitched out a stool.  Sitting down with a sigh, he put his bag on the floor and, peering over his shades, said "hey, barkeep.  What's on tap today?"

Mirath

Lifting his head at the question, Danny brushed his hair out of his blue eyes from where it had flopped over as he’d been busy bargaining with the brewing gods. Once everything seemed to be working and he’d made yet another test pint (to set aside for later, it was still somewhat drinkable), the bartender just acted as if nothing had happened as he straightened up properly to face the newcomer, the well-built man, and had to tilt his head up just that bit to look him in the eye.

“House special. Dark ale, hint of toffee. Comes highly recommended.” Danny shrugged casually as he rest one hand on the long wood handle of the tap that had been giving him so much grief. He grinned “If I do say so myself.”

But Danny’s curiosity got the better of him - in such a trade you certainly had regulars over the years - and he couldn’t help himself.

“Not seen ya in here before.” He commented, unable to place the man before him. “Ya local?”

It was a question that Danny was now used to asking, and hearing - for even now, years one, he’d never lost his English accent, although it had become less thick over the time he’d spent working in this old-world bar.

Darkleather

"More local than you, I reckon."  Steve grinned and took his glasses off.

"The house special sounds good."

He looked round the bar and then watched the barman pull the pint.

"I've not long moved into this area.  I used to live in a small town about 100 miles from here."  Steve sighed softly as he remembered how excited he'd been to get out of his home town and away from his family.  His phone softy chirped and he checked his messages to find one of his co-workers had sent him a meme.  Pressing delete, he turned his attention back to the bar

Mirath

“What gave it away?” The barman joked as he finished pulling the pint and set it down on the dark wood between them. He took a step back to be that bit closer to the cash register and card reader, nodding at the patron’s words.

“And yeah? Always been a city boy. Always been a barman too.” Danny laughed and shook his head, soon reverting back to the ‘standard’ lines as he too cast a quick glance about the bar. All good so far - and yet quiet meant he could indeed spend a bit more time talking - always a bonus. “Cash or card?”

Maybe this shift would go smoother than last night - Danny certainly didn’t fancy wearing a thrown glass of beer again.

But he had noticed the bag down by the new man’s feet, the sigh as a pair of green eyes had glanced at their phone, and decided to pick up on it. Besides, wasn’t that usually the reason people of all kinds came in here? Have a drink and unwind from the day?

“Rough day at work, hm?”

Darkleather

"Oh, well, it was the hairstyle - that's not very normal for around here."

Steve handed over his card.

"yeah, you could say that."  He paused.  Did he really want to talk about it to this stranger?  Steve hesitated, then nodded to himself - some of it, anyway.

"You know how it is.  New job, new people.  Just finding it tricky to find my place."  He paused.  "Finding it harder than I thought I would."

Mirath

Nodding to himself as he took the card without much thought, motions on autopilot, Danny typed in the meagre amount before getting a resounding successful beep from the machine. That was always a good start - and he had to laugh about it some days.

“Here ya go... Steven, right?” He stated as he handed the guy his card back using his left hand, having had a real fast look at the name on the card as he’d lifted it back. But he held out the card nonetheless, and tilted his head in some sympathy.

“Be fine. Tough guys like ya always are.” The bartender assumed with a small laugh, trying to make the patron feel that little bit better. “Big city, ain’t it? Too big, but gotta go where the money is. Beats back home too.” He shrugged - God knew there wasn’t money in this business, but it was sure slower-paced at times.

Darkleather

"Steve."  He took the card back and then leant forward to shake the barmans hand.

"good to meet you."

He chuckled along with the barman.  "You got that right.  Big city, big opportunity.  More people, more to do, more to see... you know how it is.  My little town, everyone knew everyone else, and everyone was in your business.  Here... here, it's the opposite.  No-one knows anyone."

Mirath

“Danny. Good t’ meet ya too.” He quickly introduced himself as Steve shook his hand. The man’s palm felt somewhat smoother than his own, like Steve had never done a hard day’s work in his life, but of course that could have just been his imagination.

“And ya right, no-one knows anyone here. Why I like doin what I do - ya get t’ know people after a while. Got some stories too.” Yet Danny soon nodded towards the pint he’d pulled earlier. “Go on, before it goes warm.” The barman soon trailed off and shrugged with a flash of a smile.

The last time a customer’s beer had gone warm, well, the poor barman had ended up wearing it. Nothing he wasn’t unfamiliar with, but it sure wasn’t fun.

Darkleather

Steve took a sip of the beer and nodded.  He put the pint down and wiped the thin trail of foam that had been caught on his upper lip.

"Not bad, not bad at all, Danny."

He looked around the largely empty bar.

"Stories, eh?  I guess this place must get busier then."  He grinned at Danny and took another sip of his beer.  The chime of his phone indicated the arrival of another annoying gif from his work colleague.  He had joined a Whatsapp group at work as he felt he should do, but it wasn't helping him acclimatise and he was getting tired of their in-jokes and, in this case, boring cat memes.

"So what do people do for fun around here?"  Steve had thought that in the middle of a bustling city, there would be all sorts of things going on.  He was yet to find it and he was finding the size of the city overwhelming.

Mirath

Danny had to sigh and shrug at the comment about the bar not being too busy at the moment.

“It happens. It does get busier in the next few hours, our peak is around 9pm til midnight, sometimes 2am on a good night. We did use to have a quiz night goin every Friday, but we just didn’t have enough turnout to make it worthwhile. Really had some stories from that.”

Danny rest his hands on the bar, checked over his shoulder for his manager lurking, and looked at Steve before his voice lowered.

“People want modern. Don’t need me t’ tell ya that, big city like this. No matter how many certificates I have in flair work, makin things look fancy, people just… want different.” He shook his head. “I wouldn’t change this for the world. Dad was a pub owner, and his dad, so… yeah…” He rubbed the back of his neck and took a step back.

“Bet ya always busy?” He tried to make conversation, tried to figure out what Steve did.

Darkleather

Steve nodded along in between sips of beer.  He was (as usual) watching the rest of the bar in the mirror behind Danny. 

"I know what you mean.  I don't see what the problem is with a traditional bar.  Back home, there was this place.."  He trailed off.  "Hey, but you don't want to hear about that."

"Yeah, the job keeps me pretty busy.  You know what it's like, new job, although I'd done it back home, trying to get used to a new place.  Can end up dead tired by the end of a shift."

Steve looked up.  It was clear Danny wanted to know what he did.  "I'm a patrol cop.  Just started at the local precinct.  Done it for like three years and then started here.  And they treat me like a damn rookie."

Steve finished the pint off and looked up.  "Same again, Danny.  One for yourself too."

Mirath

“Lemme guess - got into a brawl or three? Been there.” Danny chuckled as he guessed about ‘the place back home’.

But his grin seemed to get wider as he listened to what Steve did. And he definitely took back Steve’s glass to stick it under the tap again, giving a small grumble as it *wanted* to play up, but he held firm until the pint glass was full once more.

“Oh yeah? Tell me, there a veteran cop called Frank still working there? Short blonde hair, loves hazing rookies? Seen him a few times, always looks like he’s in a bad mood.”

There was someone else Danny could have asked about, but that wasn’t his place. Not yet. He could just stand and observe.

“And thanks, I’ll save it for the end of my shift.” He explained as to why he wasn’t pouring himself one - working when tipsy was harder than it sounded.

Darkleather

Steve gave a small, short laugh.

"I been in a few good fights.  I was brought up in cowboy country where it was almost the law to get into a fight on a Saturday night.  Spent a lot of time wrestling people who do it for a living on the rodeo circuit.  Didn't always win, either."

Steve watched as the tap groaned and the flow of the beer sputtered, but the amber fluid slowly filled the glass.

"Frank?  Yeah he's still there.  He's my mentor.  Been riding my ass all day.  Good cop, but not exactly big on the soft skills."

Steve lifted the second glass and raised it to Danny.  "Cheers.  Good health to you."

Mirath

Danny had to laugh and shake his head in mild amusement as he learnt that Frank was his mentor.

“Ya poor sod, gettin stuck with Frank.” He sympathised - Frank never talked much whenever he came in, just sat down, ordered some vodka, and was left alone to his thoughts. He was a good cop - just very… rough around the edges, guarded.

But he saw how Steve had watched the struggling tap, and offered an apologetic smile.

“S’ a bit temperamental. It still tastes good, the equipment is just old. Think it’s the pressure or somethin, but I ain’t an expert. Costs too much money t’ fix.”

The barman nodded happily as Steve raised his glass in cheers. “And the same t’ ya.”

Darkleather

"Yeah, he's a bit difficult to deal with.  Got some real old fashioned ideas and I get the feeling he's a bit stuck in his ways."  Steve sighed.  "Franks just counting the days till retirement."

He nodded as Danny gave him an explanation about the tap.  As he listened, he stripped off his leather jacket and draped it over another stool. 

As he turned around to look at the room again, the back of his T-shirt showed a name and a logo - "Saddle Up, Wichita Falls"

"Damn.  wish I could help, but I don't know much about plumbing."

Steve took another sip of the beer.  "That tastes pretty good to me.  Don't suppose you serve any food, do ya?"

Mirath

“Ain’t we all…” Danny mused quietly at the mention of counting down the days.

But he nodded at Steve’s question of food, turning away briefly to grab one of the paper menus that they used for the late-night meals. They were never anything fancy or too extravagant - even Danny was more than happy with a cheeseburger or some bacon fries - but it was what people always seemed to ask for, the simple stuff. And they were more than happy to provide.

Tucking his hair back behind his ears as he handed over the menu, then brushing the blonde strands back forward again, he let Steve browse and drink for a bit before asking his next question.

“So, whaddya do outside of work? If ya wanna get outta the city I know a few nature reserves up north. Great views, nice accommodation too.”

Darkleather

Steve had a glance down the menu.  He was in the mood for a chilli, but settled for something less challenging - cheeseburger and fries.

"Outside work?  Not much really.  Not since I moved here anyway.  Found myself a decent gym close to my apartment.  nature reserves?  Damn would be good to see some countryside again.  Used to do a ton of camping and hiking back home."

Mirath

Blue gaze flicking from Steve to the door as it opened, Danny silently tracked the couple that had walked in as he finished his small talk with the nice man.

“If I had a map, I’d show ya. Uh… what was it… Baker’s Creek, bout two hour’s drive North.” Danny explained as he tried to remember off the top of his head. “There’s little internet signal so it is perfect…” Yeah, that suited Danny just fine - he wasn’t the best when it came to technology, but that was okay because he had never needed top-tier skills in a place like this. He’d survive.

“Just gonna serve these guys then I’ll be back. Get ya another if ya really want.” Danny laughed softly as he went to go and serve the young couple, having to grab two bottles of the paler ales they kept stocked and handed them over with the same cheery facade as always.

Darkleather

"Sure.  Why not?" Steve hadn't planned on having more than one or two, but he was feeling relaxed for the first time since he came to the city.  He watched as Danny served the newcomers and stretched his arms out when he felt a twinge in his forearm.  He could feel the post-workout burn settling in and all those little gripes and grumbles that his muscles came up with were starting to kick in.  He'd usually have been able to stretched properly, but he just rolled his shoulders and almost unconsciously flexed his muscles to try to relax them a bit.

The third one would definitely be the last one, he decided.  He thought about going back to his somewhat dingy apartment.  It had been on a list of places supplies by his precinct when he joined.  There were several people from his work in the same block, so it was relatively safe and familiar but it did mean that he kept seeing them.  And sometimes he wanted to be a bit more ... private.  The place itself wasn't bad - just plain and clearly not intended for long-term residence.  Once he'd got himself settled, he'd start to look for somewhere more suitable - somewhere with a bit of room so he could get his weights set up properly.

He thought about what Danny had said about interests outside work.  Steve had never exactly been a great thinker and he'd never gone in for hobbies.  Sure, he played sports while at school - he'd done pretty well at football and wrestling but he'd never been as intense about it as some people.  He'd got involved with the rodeos, of course, but again not as much as some of the other guys.  Maybe it was time he started to think about something like that.

Mirath

Danny had to smile at him as he took Steve’s empty glass back to fill it once more, soon hanging his head in a very loud grumble of complaint as the tap sputtered and died halfway through.

“Oh my god…” The barman shook his head, checking the quality of the half-pint he’d pulled. It looked okay.

He set it on the counter between them and wiped his hands of the spray of foam, and his apron had caught the rest.

“New plan.” He tried to laugh and shrugged. “Either you can have half a pint, or you can wait five minutes for me to try and fix this. That… no guarantee though.”

Darkleather

Steve laughed.

"I'm not the only one having a bad day.  Look - rather than you wasting your time ... and it looks like you might need to use some time to clean up ... why don't you just get me a bottle of beer instead?"

Danny was clearly having a bit of a bad day.  Although they'd only just met, Steve was enjoying the chat and honestly felt that this was the first non-work chat he'd had since he came to the city. 

"Why..."  Before he could frame the question, his phone rang.  The opening chords of "Just Getting Started" rang out and Steve grabbed the phone and answered it.

His voice dropped as he quietly chatted to the person at the other end, and after a couple of minutes he hung up.

"How's that beer coming along, Danny?"

Mirath

At Steve’s question of a bottle of beer, that was doable. It would be a hell of a lot easier too. Fixing the tap meant going gentle, in some cases going all the way into the cellar to check the connection between barrel and pipe. Sometimes it was a two-man job.

Danny grabbed a rag and wiped his hands and the faulty tap down to start a bit of cleanup. He’d try and fix it later, or maybe after Steve left, if he decided to not stay for any longer.

But as Steven answered his phone and his voice lowered, Danny decided to leave him to his conversation as he went to go and fetch a bottle of beer, a more popular brand, and tapped the rim of the half-full pint glass in a silent question of ‘still want this?’

“Were ya goin t’ ask me somethin?” Danny asked as Steven hung up - since he had picked up on the start of a question.

Darkleather

"Huh?  Sure. Yeah, sure."

Steve was a little disconnected.  He hadn't expected that phone call and it had stirred up some old emotions.

"I was? umm.  Oh yeah - why are you over here?  It's a bit of a long way from home."

Steve picked up the half pint and sipped at it

Mirath

Ah, that question.

The barman had tilted his head a bit as he noticed that Steve seemed a bit less happy since that call, but maybe it was for the best if he didn’t ask about that. The guy hadn’t completely shut down, so that was a start.

“Well… Startin t’ wonder that myself.” Danny admitted. “Just wanted t’ do somethin new, I guess. Same old city I grew up in, same old bar I grew up in… Ya get the idea. Kinda do miss home though. No offence but everyone here is very… Hm… rushed. S’all ’do this n that’, y’know?” The bartender soon poured himself a glass of water and added a few ice cubes from the box under the bar, enjoying the drink before he went back to talking.

“Back home, I could take a week or two off, pack my camera n go hikin somewhere nice - no-one minded. Here? They’re way too focused on work…”

He sighed and studied Steve some more.
“Guess it’s the same for ya, hm? Law enforcement n all that.”

Darkleather

Steve nodded along as Danny spoke.  He knew exactly what he meant.  He had been finding the same thing with the city - everyone rushing, too busy to talk.

"Hell, yeah. I know just what you mean.  I mean, look at me.  I'm just a dumb redneck and they expect me to be like they are."

Steve took a long draw from the beer.

"Just aint gonna happen."  He sighed deeply.  "Maybe this was stupid.  Maybe I shouldn't have moved here."

Mirath

Starting to relax as he looked at Steve, Danny could completely sympathise with the other man. Hell, their stories, their regrets, were more or less a mirror of the other.

Danny had to laugh at a thought, and soon shared it.

“It’s gonna be like one a those movies? Run away with me t’ the mountains?” He couldn’t keep the grin off his face, clearly teasing the other man.

Darkleather

Steve burst out laughing and replied, putting on a heavy drawl.

"I don't know 'bout that."

He chuckled

"Nah that's for the movies.  Too many bills to pay and people to pay back to do that.  Could surely do with some of that country air though."

Mirath

Steve’s laugh was infectious, and Danny soon laughed along with him.

Yeah, it’d be expensive… but so very worth it. Danny rest an arm on the bar, still chuckling.

“Alright then, a weekend.” That was more doable on their salaries. “I’ll have to show ya where I go, next time I see ya.”

It had been a long old time since Danny had met someone who he enjoyed talking to, someone who seemed more… like him, not condescending or judgmental of what he did and who he was. He’d had enough of that!

Darkleather

"A weekend?  sure.  I can do that.  Might take me a few weeks to sort the leave out, but I'm good with that."

Steve knocked back the rest of his beer and stood.  "Hey, I'm gonna hold you to that"

He reached over for a napkin and scrawled his mobile phone number on it.

"Let me know when you want to go for and I'll make sure I'm free."

Mirath

“Cheers.” The barman thanked Steve as he slid the napkin over to himself, studying the number before he put it into his phone there and then, as if to show Steve that he wasn’t about to bail on him for a laugh. No, that was just too cruel.

“Yeah… yeah!” Danny’s enthusiasm was starting to come back, finally, even as he faced the rest of his shift. “I’ll let ya know. Tell me when ya next comin and I’ll have t’ bring that map.” He promised. It really was a nice place, some good walks and the most breathtaking views once you got high enough into the mountains.

Darkleather

Steve watched as Danny put the number into his phone.  He still wasn't quite sure what was going on here, whether he'd made a friend or something else, but he wasn't going to just walk away.

"Not sure.  On night shifts for the next couple of days.  And was thinking about checking some clubs out on Saturday night.  How about Sunday?  You guys do anything exciting then?"

Mirath

Danny had to think about his answer for a moment, trying to think of what was going on both in and out of the bar.

“This Sunday? Think there’s gonna be a local snooker tournament on at another bar, kinda wanna go see that. Used to enter em myself, really should…” He thought about it, then shrugged as if to dismiss the idea. Maybe next time.

“My life’s prolly borin compared t’ yours.” The barman tried to laugh, whether he was right or not. Not that he minded. He had his little niche in life, a lone haven in this busy city, and that was okay.

Darkleather

"Guess so-  at least I will once they let me out of the office a bit more.  Coz I'm new I'm treated like a damned rookie."

Steve was thinking about going -- but why not have one final beer.

"OK.  One for the road, I think Danny."

Mirath

“Hah, good ol’ Frank.” He laughed. “If ya see the guy, tell the grumpy bastard I said hi.” That said, he turned his back to Steve to grab him another beer, the cap popping off to join the other discarded ones, and set it down by Steve’s hand.

“One for the road it is.” He confirmed with a grin, nodding over to the tap. “Maybe next time this’ll be fixed properly. Ain’t holdin my breath though.”

After he’d finished talking to Steve, that was his next job - fix the damned thing. Or bodge it as best he could.

Darkleather

Steve gratefully took the bottle and had a swig from it

"I'll mention it to him - not that we actually talk much."

He looked on as Danny put a cloth over the tap.  "Do you have many problems with your taps then?"

Mirath

“Ah, well, this one always gives us trouble.” Danny explained as he rest a hand on the cloth that covered the long handle, patting it as if it were alive and in need of affection. “Some days are better than others - locals think it hates some of us.” The barman had to laugh at that with an amused shake of his head - he wasn’t in the ‘things are haunted’ mindset, but it made for a good laugh when it was the same few barmen the tap constantly seemed to break down on!

“But, like I said, costs money t’ fix, and we can get by. And, yeah, we tried switchin the barrels, thinkin it was the barrel size, but nah. S’fucked.” He breathed out in a longer and deeper sigh.

“I know a bit about ‘em, but not enough. I ain’t a plumber either way, ain’t paid enough for that.”

Darkleather

"No one gets paid as much as a plumber does!"

Steve commiserated with Danny as he slowly worked through his beer.  He was feeling comfortable here, but with a shift tomorrow, he knew it was time to head home.

"Ok then, Danny, time for me to head out."

Steve shucked on his leather jacket and picked up his sports bag.  "I'll maybe see you on Sunday then."

Mirath

“Have fun!” He called to Steve, very glad that he wasn’t working on the Sunday (or the Monday, but that was for another time) so he could relax.

But, for now, he could focus on the task at hand - fixing that blasted tap - as his coworker came back from his break. Which first meant heading down to where the pipes met barrel, tightening up the nut that fastened the two together just in case, because that had been a new barrel. There was no way it was empty enough to screw up the tap.

Sighing, he went out to take his break, stretching out as he sat on the back step and took in the cool night air.

Roll on Sunday…

Darkleather

Steve's next couple of days were hectic at work.  He passed on Danny's message to Frank but it didn't seem to change the surly senior officer one bit and he just grunted at him as they headed out.  Frank seemed to be taking a great deal of pleasure in getting Steve to do the really nasty jobs, he thought as he cuffed the rank homeless man and pushed him towards the back of the van.  Still, at least he had something to look forward to.

He slept well after his nightshift and by mid-afternoon, Steve was ready to go.  He dug out some of his old clothes as he headed out to the bar - Danny might as well see what kind of a redneck he was.  He pulled on his far too tight wrangler jeans and a wife-beater under a check shirt.  His thick leather belt with massive belt buckle was tightened and he pulled on a pair of cowboy boots.  He though about grabbing his stetson as well ... maybe too much, instead he grabbed a worn leather jacket to slip over the shirt and headed off to the bar.

Mirath

Even if he wasn’t working, Danny still leant against one of the tables as he laughed at another barman’s joke, the small group catching up before their shift properly started.

“… Look, I better get goin.” Danny explained as he pushed himself off the table, frayed black trousers just brushing the backs of his shoes. He tugged the long sleeves of his grey shirt down so he could rub the creases out.

“Fucking fancy man.” His bald co-worker teased with a loud laugh. “Yall over-dressed for a game of pool, Danny-boy.”

“Go t’ hell.” Danny called over his shoulder. That only drew more raucous laughter and he shook his head.

Darkleather

Steve walked into the bar and looked around for Danny.  He saw him and lifted one hand to wave then walked over.

"Hey Danny.  Ready to get beaten at snooker then?"

Mirath

“Hey Steve… Ya obviously haven’t seen my million trophies.” Danny teased in a deep sarcastic tone, waving a hand as if to point to an imaginary wall display. “Nah, I can hold my own.”

He grinned at Steve - maybe he was just very glad to see the other man, maybe he was amused by the man’s style - but either way it brightened his day that bit more.

“Nice t’ not go alone.” Danny admitted as they headed for the door.

Darkleather

Steve grinned as he followed Danny out.

"So, where's this snooker place then?"

Mirath

“Honestly? Jus’ round the corner.” Danny explained with a slight grin of his own as they took a left from the bar and headed up the street, the air having a slight breeze that blew in their faces and carried the smell of the local Indian restaurant on its wings. Maybe if Danny hadn’t already eaten, he’d have been in the mood for a meal out. No matter.

As they reached the end of one block to cross the quiet street, getting distracted whilst they started to cross, Danny pointed out one of the sad-looking abandoned buildings that was over on their right.

“That used t’ be a bar called The Flying Pig. Great people, good food, but in the end they jus’ struggled t’ stay afloat.” He shrugged, then grumbled. “We’re prolly not far off…”

The barman sighed and took another left, his goal halfway up this street, and came to a stop in front of another old-world bar, the large blue gryphon certainly standing out, and from the noise it was certainly more lively.

“Ready t’ get beaten at snooker?” He said back to Steve, a playful challenge in repeating the country man’s words back to him.

Darkleather

Steve headed out, nodding as Danny pointed out the local "sights".  He stored all the information as it might come in useful.  He was still getting used to this city and any extra info on it would be useful. 

He caught a whiff from a dumpster as they walked past an alley and wrinkled his nose - he still hated the way this place smelled, the complete lack of greenery.  He knew that was all about missing his home-town, but the knowledge didn't make it any easier.

As they headed along, Steve making the occasional comment, he heard the clump of boots and looked up, expecting to see someone wearing cowboy boots like he was.  Instead, he saw two men in full leather heading down an alleyway.  He looked after them, then turned his attention back to Danny.

"Oh, you're confident, are you?  Bring it on then, Limey!"

He grinned and slapped Danny on the back as they stepped towards the door of the bar.

Mirath

Laughing, Danny pushed the door to the busier bar open and stepped inside, holding it open for Steve. Because, you know, courtesy was still a thing no matter where you lived.

Laughter and jokes flew about the patrons both milling around the bar and even amongst the staff, the occasional clatter of snooker balls being struck. It almost felt like a home from home.

Almost…

”Danny!” The tall manager with a mop of brown hair greeted cheerfully above the customers. ”Haven’t seen you got a while. Still working for Mike?”

“I’ll only leave when the guy closes the place for good.” The blonde man replied. Truth be told, this new manager had been trying to get Danny to work for him for the past two months or so.

The brown-haired manager didn’t say anything in return - they both knew already - but instead offered that same genuine smile as he looked between Danny and the man accompanying him.

”Who’s your handsome friend? And… What can I get you guys?”

“Mm… Whatever whiskey ya recommend. Double.” Danny answered, but very glad that things were going okay, casting his own small smile at Steve. “What’s ya poison?”

Darkleather

Steve looked on as Danny talked to his friend - as usual it was always a bit odd on these occasions and he was never sure exactly what to say and do.

When he was asked what he want, he leant forward and offered the manager his hand "Steve, I'm Steve."

He raised an eyebrow as Danny proposed starting on the whisky.  "Something tamer for me - just a beer, please."

Steve looked around and then turned to Danny.  "This your regular haunt then?"

Mirath

”Nice to meet you, Steve. I’m Wayne.” The manager greeted as he shook Steve’s hand with an enthusiastic grip before he shook his head at Danny almost playfully at his order before he went to go and grab the bottle of amber liquid that he had taken a liking to over the years, before using his free had to grab a bottle of paler beer for the broad-looking Steve.

”You two here to play, or just drinking?” Wayne asked in curiosity as he handed the two men their drinks, looking between the blonde barman and the cropped-ginger of Steve. Danny looked over at Steve with that same challenging grin as he wrapped his hand around the glass that Wayne had pushed into it.

“I think Wayne wants to put on a bet.” He laughed before he took a sip of his drink, the fire helping to keep him awake and alert.

Darkleather

Steve raised his bottle to salute the two men.  "A bet, eh?  What sort of bet?"

He paused

"Because, I don't have much ready cash so I'm not one for gambling money."

Mirath

Danny took another sip and looked at Steve, nodding his head and raising his own glass to the man’s salute.

Wayne rest his folded arms on the bar.

”Let’s keep it simple. Loser has to pay for this round and the next.”

Trying to keep that air of confidence, of being sure of himself, Danny flashed a smile at Steve, lightly waving his glass back and forth before he drained it with a satisfied sigh, amber droplets circling the bottom. “Y’know, I could really go for another.”

Darkleather

Steve chuckled "That seems fair.  You'd best rack up then, so you can pay for the drinks."

He picked up a cue, chalked the end and waited while Danny started off

Mirath

”Well, wasn’t that fun to watch.” Wayne commented with a grin as he poured the two men their next round.

“Yeah, yeah…” Leaning back against the bar, Danny grumbled to himself as he ignored Wayne’s teasing, tucking his wallet back in his pocket once more. Sure, he’d managed to claw back a game after Steve had won the first game, drawing them even, but ultimately the third and final game had gone to Steve - it had been close though.

Darkleather

"Ah well, Danny, never mind"

Steve grinned as he slapped Danny on the shoulder.  "At least we weren't playing for high stakes."

He settled himself onto a bar stool, swigged his beer and looked around.

"So, this is your local, is it?"

Mirath

Settling back down, sitting on the bar stool next to Steve as he rest one arm on the bar and the other picked up his drink, Danny had to chuckle as his new friend asked if this was his local.

“This place? Yeah, I guess it is.” The man shrugged before he took a drink, the whiskey warming him from the inside out. If Steve hadn’t been here, he’d have downed it in one and then asked for another - but he had to show some level of self-restraint, even if he was always nervous about the things to come. Mostly about the stability of his job, when it came to it.

“Prolly weird for ya, hm? I work all night in a bar, come home, then spend my day off in this bar.”

”Cause we’re better!” The bar manager jokingly called over from where he was stood, having just overheard the conversation as he’d passed on by through to the back room. Danny shook his head with a laugh, then put his attention back on Steve.

“I don’t live too far from either, so it’s only a short walk.” He explained further.

Darkleather

Steve laughed along with the manager and Danny, then leant in close to Danny to whisper "Wow, he don't give you much privacy does he?"

Steve ordered another round, enjoying himself as he relaxed.

"So, Danny, you didn't really finish the story about why you moved here?  Were you chasing a girl?"

Mirath

Laughing even then as he shook his head in answer to the whispered question with a mouthed ‘nope’, Danny soon looked happier as he finished his glass just as Steve ordered another round.

And, as Steve asked, he shook his head again as his new friend asked if Danny had been chasing a girl. No, his life wasn’t like the songs and movies.

“No, no, not me. I moved here with my friend a few years back, Vinnie - he wanted to study and see more of the world, so I thought ‘ah fuck it I’ll go with him, find some bar work’. He’s, uh, he’s not around anymore… But it’s okay, because he got to do what he wanted, see what he wanted.” Danny shrugged, swirling his drink around before downing half of it in one go. “I guess… I haven’t really wanted to go back home. I mean… I do but I don’t… does that make sense?”

Even though Danny very much had a preference for the harder spirits, it was certainly what was making it easier to talk and relax.

Darkleather

"Yeah, sort of.  I spend every day wishing I was back home, but... you know, going home would seem like a step back."

Steve took a gulp of his beer.

"And I'm such a hick here.  Those guys we passed on the way in - we ain't got nothing like that back home."

He paused

"Still, I guess you Limeys are all more so-phis-ticated than us yanks, that it's all the same to you."

Mirath

“Hah, yeah, somethin like that.” The blonde man laughed. “Born workin class and I’ll sure as hell die workin class. I’ll drink t’ that.”

Having said that, Danny raised his half-full glass to toast his old friend, and now his new one, wallowing in memories for a moment as he looked at Steve.

“Ya’d have liked Vin, he was studyin Forensic Science, had big plans t’ join ya guys when he finished his degree. Used t’ share a bigger apartment, and he never blew me off for anyone. Miss him.” Danny chuckled, albeit sadder, and drained his glass in one go before he shook his head - if he drank any more he’d be regretting it.

Darkleather

Steve chuckled as he finished his beer and ordered another round.  He was enjoying the chance to relax and feeling chilled out for the first time since he came to the city.

Steve looked over at Danny.  "So, where's the wild night life in the city?  Any good clubs?"

He wasn't sure why he was asaking about clubs - he didn't like a lot of modern music.  But he wanted to know what Danny was about and thought this might keep him talking

Mirath

“Askin the wrong guy.” Danny laughed as he shook his head in an offered apology, “I think some of the better clubs, the ones I’ve heard mentioned, are more in the heart of the city. HighWing and Neons are two of the more pop’lar ones. Ain’t my thing, but ya hear the same clubs mentioned.”

The blonde man looked thoughtfully at his glass, as if considering to even drink it, before he swirled it around in his answer. He was definitely starting to relax around Steve, whiskey or not.

“This is gonna hafta be my last, otherwise ya gonna hafta walk me home.” He admitted with another apologetic smile. “Mean, there’s booze at mine, be a bit stupid if I didn’t, but… y’know…” Rambling, Danny soon shrugged and kept drinking.

Darkleather

Steve looked at the smaller man, who was definitely starting to ramble a bit.

"Yeah, maybe we'd better make this the last one."  He finished his beer and settled his tab with the barman.

"I'll walk you home.  Never know what might happen in the big city."

Steve stood up and waited for Danny to get himself ready

Mirath

Humming as he drank the rest of his glass, Danny looked over at Steve as he just caught the man’s movement just in his peripheral vision, putting his glass down as he too got to his feet, although floating delightfully as the alcohol seeped into his system. Not that he could think of anything else to do, and certainly not in the mood to be thrashed at snooker again, Danny had to nod at Steve’s offer to walk him home.

“Every nightsss different…” He thought out loud, trying so very hard to keep quiet lest he bored Steve entirely. He’d only met the guy twice for gods sake. “But yeah, let’s… let’s go...”

Darkleather

It wouldn't be the first time that Steve had walked a drunk friend home -- or had the same done to himself.

He thought about calling a cab, but Danny said he lived in walking distance.

Steve held the door for Danny, then slipped an arm around him to help keep him upright.

"Ok, Danny, which way are we heading?

Mirath

Hm…

“Big strong Steve…” The tipsy man chuckled as he felt Steve’s toned arm securely around his off-balance being, but floating mind unable to place its location aside from ‘waist up’. That in itself made him giggle - surely Danny, of all people, should have remembered where his alcohol limits lay. But, he had his reasons aside from just liking the taste of harder spirits, and tonight was just a very different occasion, and not just because Steve had wanted to see the city with him.

“Go… up the street…” Danny directed with a jerk of his head to the right - bit too fast as the world shuddered. He shuddered. “Y’know… Parkside? Big block’a apartments? Thas where we’re goin.”

Darkleather

"Okay, Danny, off we go."

Steve helped Danny down the road and in the direction of the Parkside apartments.  He wasn't having too many problems keeping the littler guy walking, but he'd obviously had way too much to drink.

As they got to the apartments, he shook Danny.  "Hey, what number?  And where are your keys?"

Mirath

Being shaken into focus by Steve certainly made the world sway, the drab building moving from side to side as if to mirror the action. Trippy.

Danny fought to think, some words slipping. He could do with a nap, or a drink, him and Vin could share another drink, even if only one of them would actually be drinking.

“Me?… Two-One-Ssseven… um… keys, keys…” Danny muttered as he used a hand to search his pockets, letting out a happy sound as he felt the familiar metal and shape brush against his fingers.

“Keys…” He repeated in his focus, fingers not working as he fumbled and nearly dropped them, yet only just managed to keep a grip on his house keys until the moment that Steve would take them off him.

Darkleather

Steve grabbed the keys before they fell down the nearby sewer grate and steered Danny towards the building.

Once inside, he worked his way through to Danny's flat and let the two men in.

Danny was still out of it, so Steve took him through to his bedroom and dumped him on the bed.  Thinking about what he was like when he had been that blasted, he hunted around the kitchen until he found an empty bowl and he returned to the bedroom with that and a glass of water.

Steve left them beside Dannys bed and then headed out.  At the door, he stopped.  If something happened, he wouldn't forgive himself, so he settled himself down on a seat in front of the TV and resolved to sleep there

Mirath

Luckily for Steve, even when drunk Danny was a deep sleeper, out cold within minutes of his blonde head hitting his pillow. Of course being drunk helped to speed that process along, the barman having grown accustomed to ignore any loud outside noise - and the racket from his very-awake daytime neighbours.

His front room was sparse, the small wooden coffee table in front of the matching dark red armchair and sofa covered in an assortment of maps and travel paperwork… which were all spread out underneath the TV remote and a half-drunk mug of tea - obviously Danny had gotten distracted whilst trying to find what he wanted to show Steve.

Darkleather

Steve ignored the mess under the coffee table and spread out on the sofa.  He planned to watch TV for a while before going to sleep, but the beers he had drunk soon had him dozing while the TV talked away to itself.

Steve's unconscious went crazy and he had an odd dream where things were mixed together: Danny, his patrol mates, the memory of a time he'd been drunk like this and ended up hogtied by his friends, the guys from the bar, people he'd seen on the street.

He jerked awake to see that the TV had now reverted to some awful shopping channel.  His head was pounding with lack of sleep and he grabbed a drink of water, turned the TV off and then went to sleep

Mirath

It was a good few hours before Danny started to stir from his sleep, focus blurry and head pounding as he sat up far too quickly, barely registering that he’d slept in his clothes and what was around him until he’d taken two very unsteady steps towards the small tiled en-suite. So he breathed in deep, slowly starting to regain a sense of himself as the room stopped pulsing in time with his own heartbeat, before he continued on his short journey, the cold tap water splashing on his hair as well as his face to try and get himself back much quicker.

Grabbing a towel, he rubbed over his hair as he walked into the front room, intent on crashing on his sofa to have some movement, but stopping as soon as he saw Steve fast asleep.

The hell is he doin there? Must’ve… Must’ve…

Well, Danny knew what he was trying to get at, even if he couldn’t put it into words. The fact that Steve had stayed, just showed that people did still care, there were still good people left in the world.

Darkleather

Steve opened his eyes and looked up to see Danny looking down at him

"Hey.  You're looking ... conscious.  Which is a surprise."

Steve stood up and stretched, his head aching a little - not a hangover, but enough to remind him that he's drunk too much last night.

He grinned sheepishly at Danny.

"So, guess I should get going then."

Steve grabbed his jacket and swung it on as he walked towards the door.  He turned as he got to the door

"Nice place, by the way"

Mirath

“Stay!” Danny blurred out, far too loud even as he regretted it, lowering his voice. “Stay, please.”

He sat down on the sofa and looked at the assortment of maps that were spread in front of him, running a hand over the pile before he found what he was looking for. He picked the folded map up and looked over at Steve before getting to his feet once more, intent of making himself a hot drink to try and stay awake.

“This was what I meant t’ give ya.” Danny explained, nodding to the map in his hand.

“Tea? Coffee? Or are ya a hot cocoa kinda guy?” The blonde man asked - the last option was certainly an enjoyable way to spend a day, hungover or not.

Darkleather

Steve was glad that Danny didn't want him to go - but still unsure exactly what was going on.

"Coffee - after yesterday, coffee seems like a good idea."

He walked over and looked at the map

"Oh, so this is the hiking area you were talking about?"  To Steve's eye it hardly looked rural at all, but would be better than his current concrete jungle

Mirath

“Uh-huh. Not bad for, well, here.” Danny answered as he grabbed two empty mugs that weren’t chipped or faded and set them down. “Vin liked goin there ‘cause it was cheap. And he liked the view. Saved him from starin at the same four walls, y’know?”

Thinking about it, the blonde set the coffee maker going, walking back over so he could continue talking to Steve. Or, trying to, resting his hands on the cold counter.

“So, whaddya think? It’s nothin like back home though.” He asked, not intending to force the man to go - which made him chuckle.

Darkleather

Steve chuckled. "Yeah, well, back home ain't all roses anyway"

He thought for a moment and nodded

"Yeah I reckon it would be well worth a trip.  When do you want to go?"

Mirath

The blonde man had to laugh too, although knowing better than to shake his head - he wasn’t quite sober enough to do that without regret - and looked over as the rumbling of the appliance stopped and a very familiar smell followed the rising steam. He poured one mug, then two. He added a sugar cube and stirred it around with a teaspoon, trying to make the coffee not so horribly bitter.

“Was thinkin of… next weekend?” Danny offered as he slid the other (the better one of the mugs) over towards where Steve was stood. “We could go for a day. Or two. Totally up t’ ya.”

Danny didn’t like to admit it out loud, but he was just lonely after he lost his best friend. Sure, he saw people all night, but there was just something different.

Darkleather

Steve nodded.

"Sure that'll work.  I got a long weekend, though I'm working a night shift on the Friday so I'll be kinda bushed.  But as long as you do the driving, that'll work."

Mirath

Danny hummed in agreement as he took a drink of the coffee, the warmth seeping into his fingers, and soon gave a nod of his own.

“Sure, I can drive. Just be nice t’ get outta the city.” He admitted with a small shrug. “Ya wanna swing by here after work? I’ll even let ya sleep in the car.” He laughed, trying his best to make light of an unusual situation.

Darkleather

"Sure.  That works for me.  Anything I should bring?"

Steve had memories of some camping trips back home - both decent and indecent.  He suspected that Danny wouldn't be as keep on roping as some of his old buddies - which would at least mean that he'd get a nights sleep!

Mirath

“Yaself.” Danny had to laugh in reply, but shaking his head when asked that question. “Nah, I’m gonna take my camera, so it’s never gonna be abseilin’ or any crap like that. If I wanted t’ not rest, I’d stay at work. Besides, I fuckin hate heights.”

The blonde man went back to drinking his coffee, resting against the far counter as he watched Steve.

“It’ll be good t’ have some company.” He repeated, whether to Steve or to himself. “Thanks for… gettin me home. It ain’t much of a home, but it’s somethin.”

Darkleather

"Hey, no problems.  Wasn't an issue at all."

Things seemed really strained, so Steve finished off his coffee and headed out, after agreeing a time and place to meet for the weekend.

He headed back home, changed into his workout gear and went down to the gym.  Yesterday had left him with a lot of unresolved stress he had to work out

Mirath

Putting the half-drunk mug in the sink (god knew why he drank the stuff) and grabbing Steve’s empty, Danny soon put that in the sink too. He’d get round to them later. Right now, he just very much wanted to go back to sleep, the conversation having tired what was left of the blonde man.

Very glad that he hadn’t entirely scared his new friend away, Danny trudged back to bed, yanking the covers over his head and hoping to god that the neighbours didn’t make too much noise.

Darkleather

Steve got his head down over the next couple of days.  He was getting used to the precinct and the area around it now.  A couple of the guys had shown him the main hotspots and given him a tour of the "sights" - including the local prostitutes, brothels and gay clubs.  He was starting to feel comfortable.  He was also looking forward to his weekend away.

Steve wasn't sure what was needed, so filled a pack with camping gear and a couple of changes of clothes.  He then headed over to Dannys.  He got a few looks, as he was in full cowboy gear: skintight jeans, check shirt open to the waist, leather jacket, gloves, cowboy boots.  His jeans were held up with thick leather belt that had a massive belt buckle on it and he was wearing his stetson

Mirath

The night before the morning they were meant to be leaving, it seemed like the slowest shift ever - whether they just didn’t have the customers, or Danny was too busy watching the clock.

Getting home around 2am, and being very glad that he had done a bit of packing over the few days, Danny had enough time to get a good few hours of sleep - but still looked like he had just woken up even after he had a second shower and a fresh cup of coffee by the time he knew that Steve would be arriving. He did look forward to spending the weekend with his new friend, that was for certain!

Darkleather

Steve rang Dannys bell and waited.

He hoped the other guy hadn't decided to back out and as he stood there, he flexed, making his shirt and jeans creak as his muscles moved under them.

he was a bit nervous, but looking forward to a good weekend

Mirath

On hearing the doorbell, Danny set his camera down in the bag and zipped it up, putting that bag by the rucksack laying on the counter, and went to go and answer the door.

As he opened the door and saw that it was Steve, he couldn’t help the grin on his face.

“Hey!” Oops, that sounded a bit too enthusiastic. Danny tried again as he took a step back and let Steve come inside for a few moments. “Hey, come in for a bit, I’ve just got a last few things to sort out. Put my car keys somewhere…”

Darkleather

"No problems."

Steve headed into the room and put his pack down.  He was glad Danny hadn't backed out, or been put off by the fact he was in full cowboy gear.  He adjusted himself furtively as he started to think about Danny in similar gear - maybe with Steve roped and hogtied at his feet.

Mirath

Flashing a smile at Steve in his thanks, Danny tapped his fingers on the edge of the counter as he fought to remember just where he had put those keys down. He walked over to the long red military-style jacket that was hanging on the back of the front door and checked the pockets, letting out a grumble when he couldn’t feel them, checking pockets both inside and out.

He sighed loudly in his frustration, and looked over at Steve. He did like the way the man was dressed, in a very rustic style, and Danny always seemed to have a thing for rustic, to defy the modern… Anyway…

“Don’t mind… givin me a hand, do ya? Can ya check over there? I’ll keep lookin here.” He asked Steve, nodding to the full coffee table and the bags that Steve was stood next to.

If he had bothered to move the pile of maps that were still on his coffee table, all unfolded and chucked on top of each other, he’d have easily found his car keys. Poor Danny.

Darkleather

Steve chuckled

"Sure. no problem."

He checked under the coffee table, then started sorting through th maps on top of it.

"Are these them?"

Mirath

Looking over, Danny ran a hand through his hair as he stared for a moment, looking between both Steve and his damned keys.

“Yup, that’s them.” He chuckled in his embarrassment. “They must like ya.” Laughing again, he walked over to take the keys from Steve, for once not minding being so close.

Until the atmosphere, for that split second, froze and turned awkward as Danny met the other man’s gaze.

“I…” Even as the word died in the air, he tried again as his hand brushed over Steve’s in order to pick up his keys. “Wanna get goin’?”

Darkleather

Steve grinned "Sure, let's go."

he hefted his pack and started to walk towards the door, letting Danny get a good look at his muscled butt in his skintight jeans.  At the door he stopped and looked back,

"By the way, I assume it's ok to cowboy up like this?  I can always add the chaps if you want me to go all the way."

Mirath

Picking up the two bags, Danny shrugged the rucksack over a shoulder as he carried the bag that held his camera and car keys, his free hand grabbing his house keys from the door lock and waved Steve out with a grin of him own.

“Nah, it’s fine.” Danny assured with a light laugh (although he was sure that Steve had put in more effort than he had) as he followed Steve out and shut the door behind them, taking the time to lock both locks at the middle and top of the door, hearing the deadbolts click securely into place. “There we go…”

Satisfied, he slipped his house keys into a trouser pocket before keeping by Steve’s side as they headed down the stairs - at this time of the day, both stairway and actual traffic was much quieter, so they didn’t meet anyone on their way down. Which was probably a good thing as no doubt Danny would have been relentlessly questioned about the cowboy he was heading off with. And no doubt teased about punching above his weight.

A few flights down and they hit the ground floor. But instead of heading out of the front door, Danny changed direction and headed for the lesser-known back door, knowing that was the easiest way to get to the resident’s parking lot. Not that he usually needed it, but it was handy to dump his car somewhere.

It sure wasn’t anything fancy, a red Ford Fiesta that was only a few years old - if 2018 was anything to go by - but it did it’s job and was big enough for Danny to put all of his stuff in. Although, well, now the barman had to hope that he’d remembered to clean inside his car since last time. Leaves had sure got everywhere when the wind had blown right!