What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

You shut up! D=

Hehe, nah, if it's just Gothic 3 for Xbox with less shit combat, I'm happy. That's all I want. It beats Elder Scrolls. Gothic is packing in an important area other RPG's seem to lack nowadays.

Immersion.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 13, 2010, 06:56:45 PM
You shut up! D=

Hehe, nah, if it's just Gothic 3 for Xbox with less shit combat, I'm happy. That's all I want. It beats Elder Scrolls. Gothic is packing in an important area other RPG's seem to lack nowadays.

Immersion.

Gothic 3 is pretty underrated. I could never finish it, though. I don't know if it's even possible.

ANYWAY.

Been playing Medal of Honor for a bit.

It gets one vital thing right. Shotguns. Picture this: you're standing some 50 meters away from a person, with a shotgun. Conventional video game logic says shooting him will have no effect at all. You're pretty much done for. Because somehow, video game developers can never get those pesky guns right. They don't seem to understand that these things can kill at, well, a quick google search suggests 30 meters. Hell, in Bad Company 2, even with slugs, the most you'd do unless you got a lucky headshot was some minor damage. Yeah, well, in Medal of Honor, not so. They work. Oh god do they work.

Lonestar

I'm playing syrnia at the moment. it is a browser based game with no download required to play.

if any who view this seem interested please use this link

http://www.syrnia.com/?who=p_Flame
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. ~George Carlin

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on October 13, 2010, 07:34:22 PM
Gothic 3 is pretty underrated. I could never finish it, though. I don't know if it's even possible.

ANYWAY.

Been playing Medal of Honor for a bit.

It gets one vital thing right. Shotguns. Picture this: you're standing some 50 meters away from a person, with a shotgun. Conventional video game logic says shooting him will have no effect at all. You're pretty much done for. Because somehow, video game developers can never get those pesky guns right. They don't seem to understand that these things can kill at, well, a quick google search suggests 30 meters. Hell, in Bad Company 2, even with slugs, the most you'd do unless you got a lucky headshot was some minor damage. Yeah, well, in Medal of Honor, not so. They work. Oh god do they work.

Shotguns work pretty well in MW2...especially if you ADS. o3o

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on October 13, 2010, 08:14:40 PM
Shotguns work pretty well in MW2...especially if you ADS. o3o

Nah. Not as well as they would in reality, anyway. I can't think of a single instance in MW2 where I'd pick a shotgun over an assault rifle.

MW2 gets the reloading bit right, though. In BC2 and MoH, it's just atrociously slow.

Sabby

Gear's 2 is more fun then I remember it. Story's a fucking mess though...

I really want to play Otogi 2 :(

Wolfy

Do do do..planning to trade in MW2...but I don't know what towards..either Fallout New Vegas..or Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja storm 2.

O-o...I can't decide..both will be fun! D:

Brandon

Go for fallout Wolfy. Unless you want to wait for the New vegas that will have all that DLC already in the disk (personally I intend to rent it, play it awhile and if I love it then wait for the DLC added in).

Oh and Im playing another oldie but goodie. Vampire: The masqurade: Bloodlines

Great halloween game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Well..I could always go with neither and get Fable 3..but I really want to wait to see if it actually lives up to the Hype this time. >_>

soo....I dunno. D:...I want to decide by tommorow, though, cause I plan to pre-order them tommorow. D:

Brandon

yeah dont get fable 3 till some balanced reviews come out or until you've rented it. Otherwise its a good way to waste your disposable income.

*has a strict policy of renting almost every game before buying just because of fable 2*

If you really really really want something new go with fallout. That has the most appeal of all your listed options IMO
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Buts...I had lots of fun with storm 1..I just wished it had online..and now storm 2 does! o-o

But..I loved Fallout 3! D:

I..I need something to tide me over till CoD: Black Ops comes out on the ninth. D: *dies*

Brandon

Could always go play an older game. I mean over the last year Ive played more PS2 games then I have in the current generation just because this years been extremely bad for new releases (at least IMO). Go relive those games you loved in the past

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Hemingway on October 13, 2010, 07:34:22 PM
... Hell, in Bad Company 2, even with slugs, the most you'd do unless you got a lucky headshot was some minor damage...

I don't think there really is any such thing as a lucky head shot with the monster that is slug rounds in Bad Company.
You pop slugs on pretty much any of the semi-auto shotties in that game and you've got yourself a rail gun, distance equal to the sniper rifles but with none of the bullet drop and basically no damage drop over distance either.
The problem people might encounter once they add slugs could be in still using their shotgun as a "close encounters" weapon when it basically becomes the ultimate distance killer with the barest trace of player skill. It CAN still do the up close job, it just ceases to be as effective and you will notice that lack of effectiveness.

Quote from: Hemingway on October 14, 2010, 06:33:20 AM
Nah. Not as well as they would in reality, anyway. I can't think of a single instance in MW2 where I'd pick a shotgun over an assault rifle.

SPAS 12 with holographic sight. There was/is a known glitch were the one shot kill radius increases pretty dramatically, in fact it almost becomes an equal of the FAMAS or the UMP when it comes to over powered weaponry.
You are, of course, right about neither getting shotguns quite right. However realism takes a back seat in the pursuit of balance in situations like that--either that or it's all down to incompetence, take your pick.

So I killed off Dead Rising 2 (kind of) and I think I might be trading it for Enslaved today. I also picked up Castlevania but it still awaits me patiently from within it's factory sealed prison.
Oh and Sengoku Basara 3 is winging it's way to me, because there's nothing better than bombing around warring states era Japan on a horse that is actually a motorcycle. Hopefully I will finish off Castlevania before it gets to me, because once I've got a hack and slash in my possession all other things fade into the background.

Hemingway

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on October 15, 2010, 12:03:14 AM
You are, of course, right about neither getting shotguns quite right. However realism takes a back seat in the pursuit of balance in situations like that--either that or it's all down to incompetence, take your pick.

I think it's basically a video game convention. Gamers expect shotguns to be lethal at point-blank range, and otherwise harmless. It's something that always irks me, because shotguns are badass.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on October 14, 2010, 10:47:18 PM
yeah dont get fable 3 till some balanced reviews come out or until you've rented it. Otherwise its a good way to waste your disposable income.

*has a strict policy of renting almost every game before buying just because of fable 2*

If you really really really want something new go with fallout. That has the most appeal of all your listed options IMO
I actually liked Fable 2. The story was textbook at best but as an open character creation game where you could basically do anything to your hero you wanted. Awesome, and combat, especially gun combat, was satisfying. There are worse uses of fifty bucks. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy 13.

I've got Fable 3 on pre-order. Maybe I'll actually submit a review on it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on October 14, 2010, 11:07:26 PM
Could always go play an older game. I mean over the last year Ive played more PS2 games then I have in the current generation just because this years been extremely bad for new releases (at least IMO). Go relive those games you loved in the past

But there are *cough* for that...<_<>_>

Oniya

I just scored Tales of Phantasia for the GBA for $5 ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on October 15, 2010, 03:07:16 PM
I actually liked Fable 2. The story was textbook at best but as an open character creation game where you could basically do anything to your hero you wanted. Awesome, and combat, especially gun combat, was satisfying. There are worse uses of fifty bucks. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy 13.

I've got Fable 3 on pre-order. Maybe I'll actually submit a review on it.

I like Fable 2 as well, but I have to disagree with you on the customization. It was good, don't get me wrong here :) But once you got into it, it was much more limited then you first thought... not to mention the game is designed to cater to multiclass Hero's, and ONLY multiclass...

If you wanted to be a pure Will, Skill, or Strength Hero... or even just a multiclass with a specialization... there were no unique weapon classes that favoured a particular side of the spectrum, no unique skills, nothing that would convince you to be anything other then an all rounder.

What if I wanted to be an evil thief with more of a focus on speed and magic? I'd be able to fight fast and deadly with a pair of daggers, switch easily between combo's and throwing knives, use super speed to dodge and evade and a telekinetic shield against gunfire. That's the kind of character diversity that Fable needs.

It's shooting itself in the foot by limiting class choices.

Hemingway

I have to disagree with people on Fable 2's story. I thought it was great. Very personal. Just as I like it.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 16, 2010, 06:12:26 AM
I have to disagree with people on Fable 2's story. I thought it was great. Very personal. Just as I like it.
I don't think people were disappointed so much in the story but in the way it ended. I kind of liked Lucien as the villain he was. How his desires had killed him on the inside and all that but not getting even the choice to kill him was irksome.

I see where you're coming from Sabby but I've played straight mage, warrior, and sharpshooter and while you do need some of the abilities from strength to give you health and damage resistance its doable. Still I would have liked to see some duel wielding, but Fable has never even really hinted at ever letting you have it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

This is the thing though... You CAN, but why would you? Yes, you can go pure Mage, but there's nothing in it for you. You can be just a gunslinger, but there's no benefit for you.

This is how I'd like to see it work. Have your character on a triangle scale. Skill, Will, Strength. Each point favours certain weapon types and advancing in areas, or multiple areas, unlocks single skills or cross-class skills. Go full on brute warrior? Well, you're obviously good with a great big sword, but keep going, and you hold it better, swing better combo's. Once you hit specialization, you have Sparta style kicks that can shove enemies, or knock them across a room. If you go pure Skill though, you gain Skill specific advantages.

But say you go for both...  you're moves become flashier, quicker, you're lighter on your feet, gain better dodging skills and can disarm and counter, pistol whip and pull flashy from-the-hip shots.

That's just one cross-class. And it doesn't have to stop there. Keep advancing in a certain weapon type, or shift you balance a little, and you get more specific skills, and even disadvantages. Maybe if your mostly Strength and start to up your Will, getting hit too often will spark some magical rage mode that will sap your health but won't stop until you've killed everyone, even innocents, and each kill gives you a little more time... fight against your nature, so as not to slaughter innocents? Good luck doing much magic later on then... you need to struggle to regain your powers.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine all the different things you could do with this character generation, when you take into account all the balances you can strike, the benefits and risks of moving up and down in one, the weapon specializations coming into it, your Good/Evil alignment... this is how I always pictured Fable.

Inkidu

You're asking a lot there, man. Seriously no game has ever gone that in-depth on it in any level, not for an action-rpg anyways. I don't know what Fable 3 is going to bring to the table but maybe your expectations are higher than Petey's in a lot of ways.

You could play around like that with cross class in Fable and Fable 2 but it was hardly ever that elaborate, and there are advantages and disadvantages. Fabe for instance. Jack is a lot harder to beat if you go straight warrior. I can't think of any action rpg that is detailing what you want though and I've played a lot of them.

Wolfy

In Fable 3, you can supposedly go into Business with your Co-Op Partner...and Marry them and raise a child with them. :P *shrugs* lol

I didn't like the whole "Stats Effect your appearence" mechanic of Fable 2, though....as my female character looked like a brick house with max strength. >_> I know that's how it would be in real life..but still.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on October 17, 2010, 11:44:25 AM
I can't think of any action rpg that is detailing what you want though and I've played a lot of them.

Never said there was one, it's just my version, and it can't be impossible to make, it just takes work, and no one wants to work on something that's more idea then proven and functional... not when so many work hours and so much money is invested... just make it prettier and license the latest physics system. I'm still guna dream on what could be.

http://sabbyranter.blogspot.com/2010/10/fable-character-growth.html

And Wolfy, I kept my female character on lowest strength. She had a rifle and a sword, and the sword was only used in Flourishes to knock down anyone who got in too close. Now, if ground impales weren't so friggen picky about when they wanna work...

Wolfy

*tackles Sabby* o3o...If only you had Xbox live...our two characters could get married. xD