The Three of Cups - Tarot Discussions

Started by Dys Astyr, May 25, 2017, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dys Astyr

I feel like its a very Bob Ross sort of vibe, more so given that I just started a project that's been feeling like it needs to be fast and loose while also requiring prep and planning. Hopefully it turns out well.

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 20, 2017, 11:52:52 AM
Now that is amazing! To get the pair from 2 separate decks!  If I'm doing a Facebook event I never use the same deck twice, I always use a new deck for each reading and when cards follow me from deck to deck, it is time to sit and take notice of the message they bring me.  Are you close with your parents?  Both of the cards together might be a message from your parents.

Hey, I have a great links for you to look at!
Having Sex with Court Cards! from Daily Tarot Girl
The Queens
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/03/26/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-one-queens/
The Kings
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2015/08/25/the-tarot-court-cards-in-bed-part-4-the-kings/
The Knights
http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/06/10/knights-tarot-bed/
The Pages
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/04/08/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-2-pages/

I promise you'll never look at Court Cards the same!  :D

That's... Different. XD I think of the court cards more as pop culture characters, though I'm still working on finding the perfect fit for many of them. I do the same thing with the Majors.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

SaturnCeleste

When I first started reading I usually correlated the court cards to a person on my client's life but now I read them equally as either energy in their life or as people.  Must of it depends on my intuition OR the querent's question on how I will treat them.

It's funny, when I began to study the tarot I picked up the minor arcana cards very quickly and still love them.  So in order to MAKE me learn the court cards (especially as energy), I would have a deck with the Major Arcana cards, court cards and Aces.  I left the rest of the minor arcana cards out.  I really learned the court cards fast that way!

I LOVED Bob Ross!  Still watch him on YouTube. ;)
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Dys Astyr

I watch him on YouTube too. ;D Just as awesome as when I was a kid watching him on PBS.

For me a lot of the traditional meanings are just... No. The Queen of Swords? Meh. The Water of Air? Maybe. Spock? Yes, very much.

persephone325

I have a Faerie Tarot deck that I bought back when Border's Books & Music was still open near me. I admit that I still don't really know how to interpret the cards myself. I hope to one day...
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dys Astyr

Quote from: persephone325 on July 20, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
I have a Faerie Tarot deck that I bought back when Border's Books & Music was still open near me. I admit that I still don't really know how to interpret the cards myself. I hope to one day...

This was me for years! Seriously it took a decade for tarot to start making sense to me, it was so frustrating. You just have to find the right approach for you and then it will start falling into place.

I wouldn't call it a be all, end all or a miracle, but the book Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer was really helpful to me once I got a good foothold to start learning the tarot from. That and also treating the cards like tangrams, and rearranging them so that they made more sense or told a story. And naturally, I am a big fan of forming association based on characters and archetypes that you know and love.

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:36:28 PM
This was me for years! Seriously it took a decade for tarot to start making sense to me, it was so frustrating. You just have to find the right approach for you and then it will start falling into place.

I wouldn't call it a be all, end all or a miracle, but the book Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer was really helpful to me once I got a good foothold to start learning the tarot from. That and also treating the cards like tangrams, and rearranging them so that they made more sense or told a story. And naturally, I am a big fan of forming association based on characters and archetypes that you know and love.

Ah! I've been trying to find a good "help" book for years. I couldn't really find one that seemed to make sense to me. But I'll have to look for this one. I'm betting that Amazon will most likely have it.

Good ol' Amazon. lol
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dys Astyr

Yep, that's where I got my copy. It was about $6 if I recall correctly, cause used books are awesome. (It is technically a work book, so there might be writing in it if you buy a used copy.)  Naturally there are also tons of YouTube videos and websites and stuff now too, but I always go back to good old fashioned books.

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:47:00 PM
Yep, that's where I got my copy. It was about $6 if I recall correctly, cause used books are awesome. (It is technically a work book, so there might be writing in it if you buy a used copy.)  Naturally there are also tons of YouTube videos and websites and stuff now too, but I always go back to good old fashioned books.

Yeah. Videos are nice, but I like to be able to physically hold something that I can always refer back to for times like when the internet goes down. lol
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

If you like playing with your phone the creator of my favorite deck made some tarot apps that are fun. Labyrinthos, which is a tarot learning app, as well as the Golden Thread Tarot and Luminous Spirit Tarot apps, which are just deck apps. Fun to play with though. Labyrinthos has little matching games to help you learn the basics of the cards, it's still pretty basic but she has big plans for it. (They are all free apps too.)

If you are a journaling sort of person, that is also supposed to be one of the best ways to learn. Just pull a card and write about it. (Tarot for Yourself has a lot of exercises like this, though I only did about half of them. Mostly I just read it and used it a reference.)

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:59:15 PM
If you like playing with your phone the creator of my favorite deck made some tarot apps that are fun. Labyrinthos, which is a tarot learning app, as well as the Golden Thread Tarot and Luminous Spirit Tarot apps, which are just deck apps. Fun to play with though. Labyrinthos has little matching games to help you learn the basics of the cards, it's still pretty basic but she has big plans for it. (They are all free apps too.)

If you are a journaling sort of person, that is also supposed to be one of the best ways to learn. Just pull a card and write about it. (Tarot for Yourself has a lot of exercises like this, though I only did about half of them. Mostly I just read it and used it a reference.)

Oh! I'll have to check those out. I do have an app on my phone right now called Galaxy Tarot that I have set up to give me a tarot card for each day. ^^
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

Tarot apps are fun. ;D Do you like Galaxy Tarot? I might try it, because you know, three tarot apps aren't enough... :P

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 06:35:34 PM
Tarot apps are fun. ;D Do you like Galaxy Tarot? I might try it, because you know, three tarot apps aren't enough... :P

I do like it! There is a version you can pay for that gives you a little more options, but I don't have that. It's only $1.99, I believe. You can even save your readings. I'm pretty sure that's in the free version.
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:59:15 PM

OMG the Golden Thread cards are so cool!  I have the deck.  I've used them a few times and found them easier to read than I thought they would be.  Maybe because I love the gold on the black SO MUCH!
Here's a reading that I did using the deck.
Image:

What I love about the cards so much is the feel.  They aren't made of paper but some thinly cut plastic so that gold won't wear off.  But it does scratch, the wing on my Temperance card has a big scratch and that hurt, the Temperance card is one of my favorite major arcana cards.

I will be doing Sunday E*rotic readings from now on and made my first post if you'd like to take a peek at E's erotic forecast.  >:)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.msg13370173#msg13370173
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 23, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
OMG the Golden Thread cards are so cool!  I have the deck.  I've used them a few times and found them easier to read than I thought they would be.  Maybe because I love the gold on the black SO MUCH!
Image:

What I love about the cards so much is the feel.  They aren't made of paper but some thinly cut plastic so that gold won't wear off.  But it does scratch, the wing on my Temperance card has a big scratch and that hurt, the Temperance card is one of my favorite major arcana cards.

I will be doing Sunday E*rotic readings from now on and made my first post if you'd like to take a peek at E's erotic forecast.  >:)

I have the first printing of the Golden Thread, before they were printed on plastic and they are getting really worn after more than a year of constant use. I want to get the new version but I just havent had the budget for more decks. That said Im really attached to the deck and I kinda like how weathered it looks. Makes it feel like a relic sort of.

And that sounds like it would be pretty amusing, I'm gonna go check it out.

persephone325

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 23, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
Image:

Those are really pretty!
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

What does y'all do when you have to tarot in a bad mood? I usually avoid interacting with my cards if I'm feeling cranky but since part of my ongoing studies is doing a card every morning and taking notes sometimes it happens anyway. This morning was one of those mornings.

Oniya

I'd say the question would be whether it's a self-reading (in which case, your state of mind is relevant to the situation), or a reading for others (in which case, your state of mind is not relevant to the situation.)  If it's a reading for someone else, I'd make a point of grounding and centering before setting up for the shuffle.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dys Astyr

Since I rarely ever do readings for other people that's not as big of an issue for me.

Today I got the Wheel of Fortune as one of my cards, which should have been really exciting since it's the first time this year and its note page is empty and waiting to be filled. I just couldn't shake the grumps though.

And it's really easy to tell what type of mood I was in when I go back and read through the notes on the various cards, so I wonder if by starting the Wheel off on a grumpy note if it's going to grow to being a grumpy card for me. Next time it comes up will I read the notes I made today and pick up the grumpiness? I know that it sounds like I'm just being crazy but tarot always makes me think weird things.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 01:29:39 PM
1. Since I rarely ever do readings for other people that's not as big of an issue for me.

2. Today I got the Wheel of Fortune as one of my cards, which should have been really exciting since it's the first time this year and its note page is empty and waiting to be filled. I just couldn't shake the grumps though.

And it's really easy to tell what type of mood I was in when I go back and read through the notes on the various cards, so I wonder if by starting the Wheel off on a grumpy note if it's going to grow to being a grumpy card for me.  3. Next time it comes up will I read the notes I made today and pick up the grumpiness? I know that it sounds like I'm just being crazy but tarot always makes me think weird things.
1. Something I did when I was learning was do universal readings.  As I shuffled I stated it was a universal reading.  I would also request a career reading, love reading, whatever else I wanted to add in but keep the intent of a universal reading.  I did a ton of them.  It's different than thinking about a reading for yourself.  I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a career out of reading the tarot so I wanted to learn reading for other people my priority.

2. Just because you were pulling one card a day for yourself doesn't mean you couldn't pull two.  If you were feeling grumpy when you pulled The Wheel you could also choose to pull another card to clarify.  I believe you pull the cards you need to read.  The grumpiness association of the Wheel prompted you to look back at previous notes.  That's awesome and part of the reason to journal.  It is good to refer back to notes!  Keep on journaling!

3. If you already know ahead of time you want to reread today's notes, you have the choice to do so with the intention of simply reading the notes without judgement on what you wrote today, if that makes sense.  I think it's good that tarot cards make you think weird things, I believe they're doing their job on you! ;)  It's kind of why tarot artwork is so important, it summons up something inside of us.  And our taste for the particular decks we choose, makes it that much easier to allow the weird to happen!  >:)

I think The Wheel is a fascinating card because what you have today, after that wheel turns, you might not have tomorrow.  I look at The Wheel as a gambling card.  If you decide to take the chance, it's 50/50--the flip of a coin.  So, if you're grumpy today looking at the card, who knows, you might be happy next time  you look at it.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: persephone325 on July 23, 2017, 07:33:16 PM
Those are really pretty!
Thank you!  I'm very happy to have the deck.  Dys' deck is worth more though because its 1st edition.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 02:13:59 PM
Thank you!  I'm very happy to have the deck.  Dys' deck is worth more though because its 1st edition.

I don't know that it's worth any more. XD As much as I love the deck it's hardly a collectors item. (Though maybe in a few years it will be, who knows!) The cards look much nicer in matte plastic than the glossy coated card stock. You can really tell she listened to the feedback on the deck when choosing the new material. The two biggest complaints from the initial one was the glossy black and the fact that the edges were white, both of which were fixed in new version.

Also they are waterproof, which I think is the coolest thing ever.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 02:11:29 PM
1. Something I did when I was learning was do universal readings.  As I shuffled I stated it was a universal reading.  I would also request a career reading, love reading, whatever else I wanted to add in but keep the intent of a universal reading.  I did a ton of them.  It's different than thinking about a reading for yourself.  I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a career out of reading the tarot so I wanted to learn reading for other people my priority.

2. Just because you were pulling one card a day for yourself doesn't mean you couldn't pull two.  If you were feeling grumpy when you pulled The Wheel you could also choose to pull another card to clarify.  I believe you pull the cards you need to read.  The grumpiness association of the Wheel prompted you to look back at previous notes.  That's awesome and part of the reason to journal.  It is good to refer back to notes!  Keep on journaling!

3. If you already know ahead of time you want to reread today's notes, you have the choice to do so with the intention of simply reading the notes without judgement on what you wrote today, if that makes sense.  I think it's good that tarot cards make you think weird things, I believe they're doing their job on you! ;)  It's kind of why tarot artwork is so important, it summons up something inside of us.  And our taste for the particular decks we choose, makes it that much easier to allow the weird to happen!  >:)

I think The Wheel is a fascinating card because what you have today, after that wheel turns, you might not have tomorrow.  I look at The Wheel as a gambling card.  If you decide to take the chance, it's 50/50--the flip of a coin.  So, if you're grumpy today looking at the card, who knows, you might be happy next time  you look at it.

I do two cards every morning, the other card (Knight of Swords) was simply one I've already gotten a few times since making this renewed study effort and it already has some notes. I have only a handful of cards that haven't had any notes taken on them whatsoever and most mornings I'm half hoping one will pop up so I can start filling its page.

I've occasionally thought about doing readings for others, maybe not a profession per se but just to help I guess. XD I don't know I feel a lot of times that when I try to read for other people I'm just stumbling around like a fool. The few people I've done it for seem to like it but I personally always feel really awkward doing it.

I like to think of the Wheel being very similar to the rune Perthro, which was one of the last runes I managed to get a good handle on surprisingly. At least it makes the Wheel easier to understand. XD

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 02:46:24 PM
I do two cards every morning, the other card (Knight of Swords) was simply one I've already gotten a few times since making this renewed study effort and it already has some notes. I have only a handful of cards that haven't had any notes taken on them whatsoever and most mornings I'm half hoping one will pop up so I can start filling its page.

I've occasionally thought about doing readings for others, maybe not a profession per se but just to help I guess. XD I don't know I feel a lot of times that when I try to read for other people I'm just stumbling around like a fool. The few people I've done it for seem to like it but I personally always feel really awkward doing it.

I like to think of the Wheel being very similar to the rune Perthro, which was one of the last runes I managed to get a good handle on surprisingly. At least it makes the Wheel easier to understand. XD
I'm just learning runes.  I'll look Perthro up!  I don't read face to face with others, I do it strictly online.  Well, I've read neighbors and family but I prefer email, PM or FB type readings.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 02:28:48 PM
I don't know that it's worth any more. XD As much as I love the deck it's hardly a collectors item. (Though maybe in a few years it will be, who knows!) The cards look much nicer in matte plastic than the glossy coated card stock. You can really tell she listened to the feedback on the deck when choosing the new material. The two biggest complaints from the initial one was the glossy black and the fact that the edges were white, both of which were fixed in new version.

Also they are waterproof, which I think is the coolest thing ever.

It seems once tarot cards go out of print, they rise in price.  One of the few things that get used yet appreciate in value!