Freeform or low-system-dependent RP: multiple pairings, fast action

Started by Ixy, July 30, 2015, 09:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I'm looking for a game in which to play a male or female character in one of the following genres, with anywhere from 2 to 4 players and a GM.  Nothing canon, nothing heavily depending on stats or power-levels.  I like violent games loaded with supernatural influence, coercion rather than violent non-con, exotic creatures or partners, and immersive settings.  I prefer detailed action and reaction, as well as 3-5 posts per week.

Scenarios considered, up for suggestions:
a) Tropical paradise, colonial era - type fantasy, with strange ruins, exploration, quests for authorities of questionable intent
b) Induction into an adventuring company as the new recruit, involving building trust, adherence to rites of passage, and exotic quests such as hero/heroine rescue, creature slaying and the like
c) Street-level heroes - characters of low or no supernatural power being heroes in a world out of control, Sin City level heroics and storyline inspirations

Joel

I'm digging this grittiness you have going.  The low powered, grunts and salt of the earth crew that inevitably gets in over their heads.  My feeling is that you could absorb idea 2 into either 1 or 3.  And in a lot of ways, 1 and 3 are really the same idea just with different settings.  Both 1 and 3 are essentially different anarchies.

So... what if we took a tip off David Mitchell and made it all Cloud Atlas.  1 and 3 are in fact the same story.  The events of the deep past (colonial) are paralleled by the events of the future/present day (sin city).  A more palatable D. Mitchell story that could do the same thing might be Bone Clocks.  Anyway I definitely like the direction of this.  I'd be interested to develop it further with you if you are interested.

Ixy

I'm eager for any suggestions you might have.  I wonder how that might play out... writing two threads simultaneously, or simply dipping back and forth between continuities within the same story arc and thread?  I might kind of get into that, so long as I have partners who are willing to toggle the setting freely and be clear about what's understood from scene to scene so that no one gets lost.  Is that how you pictured it?  Say, a scene with a fantasy colonial island (I should clarify, not looking for historical, but more historically-inspired fantasy on that one) that, mid-action, becomes a gritty mid-20th century city with a similar scenario-- like, explorers walk into a tavern, dice games are being played, exotic vendors are hawking their wares, and then flash to black and white, a shady bar, the scenario is the same but with different faces, lingo, and setting?