Love As Thou Wilt: Kushiel's Series RP [Bon] (Open)

Started by anon, December 02, 2008, 04:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

The RP will be taking place a good few centuries ahead of the first trilogy (for those familiar with the book). For those unfamiliar with it, feel free to join! To get a feel of the story setting though: Wiki has a good summary of it. There will be no canon characters, so don't worry about them.

And now, for the plot...

For the past few decades, Cyrena de la Courcel had held sovereignty over the land of Terre d'Ange with relative peace, save for the occasional attempts at assassinations and the usual court intrigues. But as age lined her hair white and misted her eyes, her mind began to lose its sharp edges as well. As her health failed her, her court began casting about for a possible heir, as she had left none.

Two possible candidates emerged with equal claim to the throne, and though they were both of the de la Courcel line by virtue of their parentage, one was of the House L'Envers, and the other of Shahrizai. Employing their connections and making allies among those of the nobles as well as the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers, they began jousting for the right to the throne.

We enter during the festivities of Midwinter Masque.

Ok. This is where it gets complicated.

Characters are divided between that of the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers and the nobility.

Character list:

Nobles
- Cyrena de la Courcel (NPC)
- Cassandre Shahrizai (anon)
- Rochelle L'Envers (JMadame)
- (Keep coming)

Court of Night-Blooming Flowers (If you haven't read the book and would like to play...might want to click on the list to check out their "specialties.")
- Andre de Basilisque (HairyHeretic)
- Atrius no Heliotrope (Eden)
- Crushaios no Mandrake (Dawg)
- (Keep coming)

Profile skeleton:

Name: (There are more than just the noble houses that you see on the Wiki page...but if you are not familiar with the book, best stick with it).
Position: (Nobility or a courtesan...gender doesn't matter).
Alliance: (To Shahrizai, L'Envers, or currently neutral).
Appearance:
Personality: (Elaborate).
History: (Two paragraph minimum of their past).
Boundaries: (Likes/Dislikes).
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

HairyHeretic

Are you looking character concepts posted here, or worked out via PM?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

anon

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 02, 2008, 04:28:34 PM
Are you looking character concepts posted here, or worked out via PM?
Post here. My PM inbox is overflowing. - winces -
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

anon

Name: Cassandre Shahrizai

Position: Nobility

Appearance: Cassandre had the same sapphire eyes and black hair so unique to that of her house. Pale by nature, rather than her lack of time outdoor, she had a gently curvy body that she had long since learn to use to her advantage by the virtue of her acquaintances over the years with the adepts of those of the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers.

Personality: Cassandre, when called upon, could be the center of the attention in a full room and thrived upon that knowledge. Her voice soft, her manners genteel and her expressions were sweet, but they belied a rather fierce nature that could be summoned when called upon. She knew how to handle herself in a crowd and against both allies and enemies, as tact was something that had been drilled into her at an early age. Though not one prone to spark confrontations (as she was more the type to brush off any attempts of with some type of sarcasm mixed with wit), she would not back down from a challenge, at least not willingly.

History: Cassandre grew up with the knowledge of her possible bid for the throne and was constantly reminded of it. She was groomed for court life, and learned the ins and outs of the Great Houses as part of her education. While they had ensured that she was well-read and gently-reared in the arts that would ensure her standing in the court life, they had saw it fitting that she learned enough swordsmanship to defend herself should the situation call for it, which it had.

Attempts on her life had been made early on in her life, a threat that she had long since understood to be constant. The first of which was from the hands of her close companion, a child from the house of L'Envers that she had grown up with, and had taught her a valuable lesson of holding her guard even against those that she saw trustworthy and closest to her.

Boundaries: O/Os.

Um...probably will edit a bit more into the history...but that's basically it.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

-Still WIP-

Name: Andre de Basilisque

Position: Bodyguard, serving in Valerian House.

Alliance: Neutral

Appearance: Blond hair, blue eyes, slightly above average height, and athletic build. When Andre moves it is with the natural grace of a dancer.

Personality: ((Will fill this in later))

History: Andre is a second cousin of the ruling family of the House of Basilisque, from Camlach. The second of three boys, he was placed in the Cassiline Brotherhood as was traditional for his branch of the family. His training and early years with the Brotherhood were unremarkable, no different from any of the other novices.

Some 6 months ago, he was charged with the protection of a certain arrogant young nobleman, one who made enemies as easily as most people breathe. Though the truth of the matter is unknown, rumour has it that the noble in question was killed for more than simply his behaviour. Whatever the reason, a group of hired killers entered his townhouse. Neighbours, alerted by the screams, summoned the watch, and by the time they entered, there was only a scene of carnage. A trail of bodies led through the house to the nobles chamber, where the sole person unhurt was an adept of Valerian House, who had been brought to the house on Naamahs business that evening. The noble lay dead, with Andre collapsed atop the body of the one who had slain him.

The Cassiline still clung to life, if barely, and for over a week it was unknown if he would live or die. Live he did, and recover, though it was months before he could rise from a sickbed. When he was fit to rise, he was summoned before the Prefect of the Order, and dismissed, his failure to protect his charge cited as the reason. Again, rumour would hold that the nobles father, full of grief and rage had brought much pressure onto the Order to punish Andre for failing to die in his sons place.

Cast out from the order, and with a mysterious lack of opportunity elsewhere, he was offered a role within Valerian, perhaps in thanks for saving their adept.

Boundaries: O/Os will do for now.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Nadir

Oh, I'd like to play! How's this for a character? If I need more detail anywhere, just say. ^-^

Name: Atrius nó Heliotrope

Position: Courtesan

Alliance: Neutral in public, L'Envers in private

Appearance: He has pale, ash blonde hair that he grows to mid back. His eyes are dark brown. He is slim and elegant, and there are feminine hints to his face but he isn’t effeminate in his manner. His marque is three-quarters complete, the tattoo depicting ivy and honeysuckle entwining together up his spine, the honeysuckle blooming across his shoulders.

Personality: By his House canon, Atrius is naturally loving. He likes to spend lots of time with one person, though does enjoy parties too but is more withdrawn. In the past, he would become sullen and snappish but his confidence has grown considerably due to his popularity among his patrons.
History: Atrius was born in the house of Mandrake, and raised there until it was clear he didn’t have the sadistic nature required. His marque was sold to Valerian, but was soon moved to Helitrope. There he was kept and housed, then taught in the ways of Naamah.

His nervousness around large numbers had been noticed, and only three potential patrons were invited to his debut. His virgin price drew no gasps, but it wasn’t offensive. Two years later, he has a steady following, with a growing number of request as he is learned about by word-of-mouth. 

Boundaries: He has both male and female patrons. He has a higher tolerance of pain than others in Heliotrope, though he dislikes it he will take it for a patron. He would not stand to be humiliated and is possibly the one time he would retaliate against a patron.

MagicalPen

I read the first book (and most of the 2nd - or was it the 3rd?) and could be interested in this. I assume its going to be all about a power-play?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

anon

Quote from: MagicalPen on December 08, 2008, 09:26:46 PM
I read the first book (and most of the 2nd - or was it the 3rd?) and could be interested in this. I assume its going to be all about a power-play?
Well if you've read the books, you know it's not completely power-play...;] But yeah, court intrigues would be lovely.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

MagicalPen

Its been a number of years since I read the books (that I did read, never finished the series) but a lot of the terminology and names are awfully familiar sounding.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Dawg

Quote from: Kushiel's Dart Pg 16"What Valerian claims I know not, for of the two Houses that cater to tastes with a sharper edge, we heard less; but I heard once that Mandrake holds Naamah chose her patrons like victims and whipped them to violent pleasures, leaving them sated and half-dead."

At an early time, training begins on focus. It's bored into a apprentice that a patron in the throes of blended passion and pain can't always judge when to stop - the courtesan has to be able to interpret the signs. That means awareness and objective focus on the results of what he's doing.

Later, classes are taught on physiology and how the body is put together, how it all works. Not just how to provide pleasure (though that's certainly taught as well) but where and how to cause pain as well. Teaching pain begins with feeling it: a novice is expected to know how these things feel before he tries them on anyone else.

Academic classes are debates about control and power. Where does it reside at which points in an assignation? How is it passed from one person to another? Philosophy is also well thought-out: does the demand of 'Yield All' apply to anyone a Mandrake courtesan meets or only to a patron after contract is signed? Why would anyone want to yield, for that matter? Dissertation on both mental/emotional and physical submission, as well as its opposite, is expected reading material.

Education for proficiency with tools is wide and varied, and often done at intermediary and advanced levels with the help of Valerian courtesans. Even if a Mandrake courtesan doesn't particularly take pleasure in a tool, he still needs to know how it's used and what it's for.

After the debut, a Mandrake adept is expected to find a specialty that gratifies him, though it's not a strict requirement to do so. Classes go on for more sophisticated techniques and skill-sets, as needed and as teachers are available.

Name: Crushaios nó Mandrake
Position: Mandrake Courtesan
Alliance: Currently neutral
Boundaries: O/O’s

History:

The coastal squall hit Kusheth unbendable and rapid, as harsh in its devastation as the angel himself. Many families and houses were torn apart – Crushaios’s was more fortunate, but only barely. While all of his brothers and sisters survived, as did his parents, their tiny handful of fishing boats weren't so lucky. His father and mother had planned their lives carefully, ensuring sufficient children to grow their business, but without those boats, there were too many mouths to feed. As the youngest, the one who would take the longest to reach an age where he would be help rather than drain, Crushaios had to go.

It was his calm, serious demeanor that seized the attention of the man who came from Elua to survey the bits and pieces of the small towns along the coast, after the storm. A middle-man of small repute, he traveled often in search of servants and potential novices-to-be for the Houses of Mont Nuit. After a few evenings of discussion with his parents, he took Crushaios with him when he left town. Crushaios joined the train of boys and girls without so much as a ripple to mark his passing.

In the weeks that it took him to lead his charges into the city, the middle-man watched them, trying to determine where he would position each one. Some would end up servants in the noble houses, some would go to the night-blooming court instead, but he hadn't failed to place a child yet. When it came time to choose a place for Crushaios, he factored two things into the decision: one, that he spoke quietly but was heard every time, even at 8 years old. Normally he would have considered him for Dahlia, but the second point changed his mind. Any of the others who didn't listen were punished, ostracized, given petty torments, and all the while the boy himself watched with quiet and secret delight. To Mandrake he went.

The House took Crushaios in and began training. It was necessary: he had to be broken of that delight in the pain of others. It wasn't proper for a Servant of Naamah to find quite that much pleasure without controls in place to keep it from twisting ugly. And it took quite a while for that lesson to sink home, long enough that his debut was looking to be delayed indefinitely. It caused a minor stir at the time, but the noise was soon lost in the deep shadows that all of the Houses hold.

That debut was a small affair, brokered with only a few select guests of a demeanor to enjoy the particular flavor of Crushaios skills. When it was done, he began collecting patrons. It was a quiet process, and slow of his own volition. Most of the time his contracts were for lengthy stretches, with patrons who wanted to yield for more than a single evening, who wanted more than simple whip or blade.

Not much changed for him when the last inches of his marquee were set into skin. Content to teach when asked, to serve when called on, he kept his attentions on the House rather than the city outside its walls. Never one to shout when a quiet word would do just as well, his reputation inside Mandrake grew to match. Much as when he was a child, he was heard. Much as when he was a child, those who didn't listen came to regret it. The difference was that it was done to support the House instead of for his own pleasure. That didn't mean he made no enemies by those so punished, but at least he was doing it on purpose.

When the former Dowayne passed away, Crushaios gathered himself to move. Long years of quiet were ready to be traded in. But the current Dowayne stepped forward, and rather than fight with him over the position, he subsided to wait again, patient as can be. He would find the proper moment to step forward.

Appearance:

He's tall, just over six-foot, and solid in frame -- certainly, no one could accuse him of 'slender' or 'slight'. That solid frame is composed of long, lean muscle and peaked curves. A strong nose and chin and deep set blue eyes all speak of Kusheline blood. They also tend towards an image of a handsome man, though mid-length blue-black curls soften his features just enough. For now they're pulled into a braid over his shoulder, tied about loosely with cording so they look ready to fall free at any moment. His skin is a pale, fair complexion maintained despite his thirty-odd years. A raspy burr coats his voice, a bass register that leans towards the quieter volumes.

The length of his body is emphasized by the dark, backless shirts he wears. They fall in a languid tumble, held together by heavy cords at the shoulders.  With shirts left open in the back, his completed marquee is framed by cloth: Mandrake, all twisting green vines, brown thorns and closed yellow petals. This is an ornate version of the robes worn by an adept of the House, in a richer sense, but close enough to the original for the similarities to show.

Personality:

Crushaios does very little on accident, or at least tries not to. He doesn't smile - the closest he gets is a near smile - and he rarely laughs. What he has instead is a dry amusement that can often be (mis)taken for sarcasm.

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Caeli

Oooooh... I'm so interested in this, but I don't think I'll have the time to take it on. ><; ~ Good luck with this roleplay though!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Caeli on December 09, 2008, 05:01:00 PM
Oooooh... I'm so interested in this, but I don't think I'll have the time to take it on. ><; ~ Good luck with this roleplay though!

<Jedi mind trick>
You have enough time.

You want to play.
</Jedi mind trick>

:D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Caeli

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 09, 2008, 05:59:54 PM
<Jedi mind trick>
You have enough time.

You want to play.
</Jedi mind trick>

:D

XDDD

*deflects mind tricks with a mirror*
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Dawg

Quote from: Caeli on December 09, 2008, 06:07:38 PM
XDDD

*deflects mind tricks with a mirror*

Deflects them back with another Mirror and asks is there is anything we can do to make more time for you.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

anon

Quote from: Dawg on December 09, 2008, 06:16:52 PM
Deflects them back with another Mirror and asks is there is anything we can do to make more time for you.
- uses secret technique and hypnotizes Caeli - Yes...you can...- wiggles fingers -

Yay! Still need a few more players though...and while I'm not at all oppose to being the only patron...- grins - that probably wouldn't bode well for the RP...I would play L'Envers' part as well if necessary, but...- lifts shoulder -

@MagicalPen: Put in a character if you're interested? =] Wiki does a pretty good job with the terminology if you need brush-ups.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

MagicalPen

I'd have to find some time to do some research to make up a believable character sketch. At work right now. And I think i follow the main idea behind the game.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Emmaline

Will work up a char for this as well.... most definitely interested in this.
Emma

JMadame

Would love to do a character for this. What are you still looking for?
L'Envers right? Hmmm... That could be ineresting. Let's see what I can come up with....
You know what this is... ;)"To conceal anything from those to whom I am attached, is not in my nature. I can never close my lips where I have opened my heart.” Charles Dickens

anon

@MagicalPen: xD The more the merrier.

@Emmaline: Awesome. =]

@JMadame: L'Envers...any nobility and courtesans will do as well.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

I think we have a few people fairly familiar with the background, so we can probably help with character background stuff.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dawg

MagicalPen, Emmaline and JMadame - if you need help with a character then give a shout, like HairyHeretic says, there are plenty here that know the story.

And anyone else that is interested, if you haven't read the books, there are enough here already that can help you along.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

JMadame

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 13, 2008, 05:02:07 PM
I think we have a few people fairly familiar with the background, so we can probably help with character background stuff.

Quote from: Dawg on December 16, 2008, 12:42:17 AM
MagicalPen, Emmaline and JMadame - if you need help with a character then give a shout, like HairyHeretic says, there are plenty here that know the story.

And anyone else that is interested, if you haven't read the books, there are enough here already that can help you along.

Thank you for the offer, but I am good.
Some of my favortie books of all time are the ones written by Ms. Jacqueline Carey.
Although I am not doing too well with the Godslayer series. But oh well. What can you do, eh?
You know what this is... ;)"To conceal anything from those to whom I am attached, is not in my nature. I can never close my lips where I have opened my heart.” Charles Dickens

anon

Mm...her writing IS decadent...

We still need a few more nobles.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

JMadame

Most definately Anon. I am still wrking on:
Rochelle L'Envers.
She is almost done. ;)

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry