What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

Quote from: Zakharra on November 07, 2014, 11:42:24 AM
Wow.. that is just evil. The death penalty is entirely appropriate for that couple.

Agreed.  Though I would be in favor of life without the possibility of parole if word can be spread to the prison population what these two inhumans did.  Forty years of abuse from hardened criminals, and then death and burning in Hell for eternity, would not be enough to cure this wrong.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Cycle on November 07, 2014, 12:20:42 PM
  Forty years of abuse from hardened criminals

More like a few months, realistically, or maybe even weeks. If you know anything about high-sec prison populations and how prison culture treats child abusers, saying 'life in prison outside an isolation cell' is exactly the same as 'death penalty', but with a bloodier and more painful end. Not saying that is a bad thing, but we should at least be honest with ourselves about what we really want here.

Cycle

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 07, 2014, 12:42:11 PM
More like a few months, realistically, or maybe even weeks. If you know anything about high-sec prison populations and how prison culture treats child abusers, saying 'life in prison outside an isolation cell' is exactly the same as 'death penalty', but with a bloodier and more painful end. Not saying that is a bad thing, but we should at least be honest with ourselves about what we really want here.

That'd work too.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 07, 2014, 12:42:11 PM

That's kind of what I was getting at with the 'M' reference.  'Kindermort' got all the riff-raff up in arms.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ephiral

Um. I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here: No. In fact, fuck no.

First off, how does one murder make another better?

Second, if you think these people need to die, have the courage of your convictions and don't offload that onto the fucked-up prison system. If it would be wrong for us to kill them with due process, why is it right for an essentially unmonitored band of vigilantes to do it?

Iniquitous

Personally, I feel that death is too good for them (I am including dude's estranged wife in this because she lived in the house with them and had to know what was going on). I just cannot think of a punishment harsh enough for the despicable, gut wrenching crime they committed.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Beorning

A macabre news piece I just read: a 91 years old woman has lost consciousness at home. The family called the doctor, who declared that the woman was dead. The woman's body was taken away by the funeral company.

A few hours later, the company called the family with the information that the supposedly dead woman woke up in their freezer...

Caehlim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 07, 2014, 10:13:56 AMI don't usually say we should have the death penalty, and when I do I say we should make it painless. But for fucking monsters like those two people...I say we break their femurs and throw them in the ocean or in a burning furnace. Abominations, which is what they are, like those things should not get mercy or treated like a human being.

One act of violence, torture and abuse is one too many for this world. Adding another is not the way to solve this. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

QuoteIf they choose not to act like one then they should be treated appropriately.

They were evidently lacking in humanity and conscience, but how would we be judged if we chose to abandon the humanity we still possess because we're angry and hurting over their actions?
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on November 13, 2014, 11:18:06 AM
A macabre news piece I just read: a 91 years old woman has lost consciousness at home. The family called the doctor, who declared that the woman was dead. The woman's body was taken away by the funeral company.

A few hours later, the company called the family with the information that the supposedly dead woman woke up in their freezer...

Definitely get a reliable citation before you believe this too strongly - it's a very common and enduring old urban legend.

consortium11

FIFA's report (well, bits of it) into the last round of bidding to host the World Cup was just made public. It's a somewhat convoluted process; one guy wrote the report (which is being kept private) and then another guy wrote in essence a seperate summary of it which is what was made public.

In unsurprising news it turns out the entire process was corrupt.

In depressing unsurprising news it also turns out that the guy who wrote the whole report is criticizing the one who wrote the summary of it for whitewashing what is in the report.

While corruption in other areas certainly has bigger consequences I'm not sure I can think of too many examples where corruption is as brazen as it is in FIFA.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 13, 2014, 02:19:47 PM
Definitely get a reliable citation before you believe this too strongly - it's a very common and enduring old urban legend.

Actually, this news bit was both on the major news sites today, as well as in TV. Also, the TV station actually interviewed the doctor who declared the lady dead and the prosecution is officially looking into the situation. As unbelieveable as it sounds, it's all real.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on November 13, 2014, 02:53:40 PM
Actually, this news bit was both on the major news sites today, as well as in TV. Also, the TV station actually interviewed the doctor who declared the lady dead and the prosecution is officially looking into the situation. As unbelieveable as it sounds, it's all real.

Whelp, then take it as an example of reality occasionally being stranger than fiction.

Kythia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 13, 2014, 03:24:50 PM
Whelp, then take it as an example of reality occasionally being stranger than fiction.

Or, rather, precisely as strange as fiction.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on November 13, 2014, 02:53:40 PM
the TV station actually interviewed the doctor who declared the lady dead and the prosecution is officially looking into the situation.

Can the doctor actually be charged with anything? Can anything be done? I kind of don't feel he should be punished but at the same time he almost killed someone who was passed out....I assume. I don't know what would have happened to the lady had she remained unconscious.

Beorning

Well, the prosecution is investigating the situation as a possible case of medical malpractice. Although the doctor claims that she really checked the lady thoroughly and that all the life signs really were gone. Who knows, it may well be one of those medical abnormalities that occassionally happen...

NenaShadowslayer

I know this lady who was clinically dead, and yet sat up when they where going to do what they do with dead bodies. So, sometimes people are clinically dead yet not completely dead. From what I understand, the heart can beat so low that not even the high tech stuff we have today can pick it up...so, technically speaking going on what I've watched of law shows (Dang old woman getting me hooked on law shows) because there is a reasonable doubt that he claimed she was dead knowing she was alive, they can't really do much to him. It's funny really, we've come years away from when things like this where common to see and hear and STILL end up with these things happening. At lest we don't scream vampire anymore, though if things keep up we might be screaming zombies! lol
I am like the Wind, playful and unyielding. I am like the Fire, Strong and swift. I am like the Water, calm and gentle when needed and ruffe and stubborn, also when needed. I am like the Earth, Wise ans quit, always observing, yet never intervening. I am Light, smiling at all I cross. I am Dark, able to destroy all who anger me. I am shadow, a mask that betrays nothing. I am a Magi, Daughter and servant to the moon. I heal the wounded, I protect the weak, I defend my family and friends. I am the daughter of Earth, the mother of everyone. I am daughter to the sun, who bore all man kind. I am friend to the wind, who is always caring. I am servant to Bast, Goddess of cats, and most importantly, I am the servant of Isis, Goddess of Magic, Wife of Osiris, Queen of the dead.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: consortium11 on November 13, 2014, 02:40:01 PM
While corruption in other areas certainly has bigger consequences I'm not sure I can think of too many examples where corruption is as brazen as it is in FIFA.
Really? Look at how much these events cost and what might be done with that amount of money instead. Or look at the conditions of the workers building all those stadiums in Qatar. Awarding the World Cup to a country that already has the infrastructure in place might have saved billions in money and avoided blatant exploitation of workers.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Kythia

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 14, 2014, 03:34:42 AM
Really? Look at how much these events cost and what might be done with that amount of money instead. Or look at the conditions of the workers building all those stadiums in Qatar. Awarding the World Cup to a country that already has the infrastructure in place might have saved billions in money and avoided blatant exploitation of workers.

I'm not certain you've understood consortium11's comment. 

consortium11

Quote from: Kythia on November 14, 2014, 11:52:55 AM
I'm not certain you've understood consortium11's comment.

I assumed he has but genuinely thinks that FIFA's corruption has more (and worse) consequences then any other corrupt enterprises. I'm not attempting to play down the dark consequences of what FIFA does; as was mentioned an outrageous amount of money ends up being spent on World Cups and in this case the combination of essentially modern slave labour and little to no workers rights or protection has had tragic consequences (although I should note that the World Cup is increasing an existing problem not creating a new one; any construction in Quatar runs faces these issues).

It's just that in a world of Libor rate rigging, the Nigerean bribery revelations of 2008-11 (which contributed to the rise of Boko Haram), the Seiman's Argentina situation, the BAE/Saudia Arabia situation (and the shameful coverup in the UK), a dozen other scandals of equal or bigger size or even the endemic, everyday corruption that one finds in much of sub-Saharan (and I'm sure in North Africa as well but I'm less familiar with it) and East Asia that does so much to keep people in poverty and frequently starvation I'm not sure I can say FIFA is anywhere near the worst. The most brazen? Yes. One of the most openly corrupt? Clearly. But having the worst consequences... I'm not so sure.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: consortium11 on November 14, 2014, 02:37:00 PM
I assumed he has but genuinely thinks that FIFA's corruption has more (and worse) consequences then any other corrupt enterprises.
Almost, but not quite. I don't think FIFA's corruption is the biggest, or worst, ever. But I do think it's on par with some of the worst examples in the field.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Kythia

Lena mutherfucking Dunham has taken to twitter to urge everyone not to allow a Time Magazine poll to vote the word "feminist" out of existence.  http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/15/feminist-is-winning-the-time-magazine-poll-of-words-to-ban-with-45-of-the-vote-4949347/?ito=facebook

There is literally noone who comes out of this well.  This is the reason the Intergalactic Council doesn't contact us.

Caehlim

My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

consortium11

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 15, 2014, 10:00:27 AM
Don't have much time before work, but, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html and http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/14/rosetta-comet-dr-matt-taylor-apology-sexist-shirt

The entire story is ridiculous and somewhat sad.

The guy plays a major role in one of the great scientific successes of our age. And has to spend the next day crying and apologizing for wearing a shirt his (female) friend made and asked him to wear.

First, as much as people like to talk about "microaggressions", are we really saying that a woman who's interested in STEM in general and space physics in particular is suddenly going to lose interest and not wish to either study or have a career in that field on the basis of someone wearing a shirt? Doesn't that continue the unedifying message that women are delicate little flowers?

Secondly what message does it send to those women that rather than celebrating the roles that the likes of Gabriela Ravera, Armelle Hubault, Amalia Ercoli-Finzi, Kathrin Altwegg or Alessandra Rotundi had in the mission (I note that Kathrin Altwegg's TEDx Talk on the subject passed with barely a comment) the femenist blogsphere instead decided to concentrate on what a man did?

Thirdly, isn't it telling those same women (and people in general) that regardless of your achievements you'll actually be judged by what you wear?

Fourth, doesn't the fact that the femenist blogosphere concentrated on a shirt rather perpetuate the idea that what women are interested in is clothing and fashion? Isn't that an idea we want to get away from?

Quote from: Kythia on November 15, 2014, 11:08:16 AM
Lena mutherfucking Dunham has taken to twitter to urge everyone not to allow a Time Magazine poll to vote the word "feminist" out of existence.  http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/15/feminist-is-winning-the-time-magazine-poll-of-words-to-ban-with-45-of-the-vote-4949347/?ito=facebook

There is literally noone who comes out of this well.  This is the reason the Intergalactic Council doesn't contact us.

She's probably just happy that the criticism of her for sexually abusing her sister appears to have died down. It's actually quite a shocking indictment when contrasted to the story above; Matt Taylor wears a shirt some people don't like and breaks down in tears and apologizes, Lena Dunham proudly admits to sexually abusing her sister over a number of years and doesn't just not apologize, she doubles down on it.

Kythia

Perhaps an issue for its own thread, but I think you're missing the point there.  First, people are always judged for how they dress.  I was on an interview panel most of last week and wore a skirt and demure top instead of rocking up in my Tigger onesie.  There are appropriate and inappropriate ways of dressing and those depend on the context.  This guy clearly came from a context where shirts like that were so incredibly unremarkable that on a day he knew full well he'd be on international television he wore that shirt.  That, I think, does say something about the environment he works in, and its a conversation worth having.  Being alert to the factors that create a hostile work environment is nowhere near the same as being a "delicate little flower" and a great number of women are interested in fashion and clothing - myself included - and being so is in no way a betrayal of the sisterhood for the simple and presumably obvious reason that its entirely possible to be interested in that AND interested in other shit.