How to Upload Images to the Wiki

Started by Caeli, February 08, 2012, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Welcome! This is a basic step-by-step tutorial (plus screenshots!) of how to upload your image to the Elluiki (Elliquiy's Wiki), then embed the image into a post here on Elliquiy's forums.

Now, this tutorial assumes three things:
o1: That you are using Google Chrome.
o2: That you know where to find the wiki; and
o3: That you know how to embed images into your posts.

I am using Google Chrome for this tutorial. If you are using another browser, your browser might look different and your right-click menu options might be worded differently. You should still be able to figure out what you should click, regardless.

A link to the Wiki can be found in the top navigation menu of every page in the forums, between Players and Dice Bot. This is the same menu where you can also find the link to the systemized roleplaying preferences and Elliquiy's home page (as opposed to the forum index). Link is also here for ease of access: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/

To embed images, you can refer to my other tutorial, Basic BBCode: Using the Rich Text Editor. When you are replying to a thread or starting a new topic, your text editor is below the rich text editor, which looks like this:

If you click the first icon, , in group 4, that will automatically insert image tags into your post, like so:

[img][/img]

After that, you simply paste the direct link to your image between the image tags. The direct link usually looks something like this, starting with elliquiy's URL and ending with the file type (*.gif, *.jpg, *.png).

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/1/12/Duchess.png

Pasting can be done by (right-click » paste) or (Ctrl+V or Mac equivalent). You can also manually type out the tags without clicking on the button in the rich text editor. When you post, your image will be embedded into your post.

Now, onto the tutorial!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Caeli

Step 1: From the main menu of the Wiki, click the Upload File link in the toolbox menu.
The toolbox menu can be found in the navigation bar, located on the left side of the wiki.

Step 2: On the Upload File page, select the image you wish to upload from your hard drive. Click the Upload File link at the bottom of the page to proceed.
The file name given to your image will be its existing name. If you wish to change the file name, you can do so after selecting your file.
Categorize your image by typing appropriate code in the Summary box. You can find a list of categories here.
An example of how to fill out the fields can be found below (right). Click the images to see them in full size.

Step 3: After uploading, you will automatically be directed to your image's file page. Here, you have several options you can take to get your image's direct URL.
Please note that the URL that is in your browser window at this stage is NOT the direct URL to your image.
Option A: Left-click on the image, OR right-click and select "open link in new tab." Both options will open up the image in your browser, at which point you can copy the URL in your browser's web address bar (right-click » copy | Ctrl+C).
Option B: Right-click on the image, and select "copy link address" OR "copy image URL." Either selection will copy your image's direct URL onto your clipboard.
After doing one of these options, you can go back to your post window and paste your image's URL into your post (directions in first post of this tutorial).

And that's it! It's a fairly fluid process once you do it a few times.

If you are trying to find the file you uploaded some time after you uploaded the image, go to the next post for a short how-to on how to do that.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Caeli

I don't know where my image is in the Wiki! How do I find my image again?

There are two ways you can find your image after you have navigated away from the file page. Both options detailed below will allow you to find the image's file page again, at which point you can proceed with Step 3 from the previous post.

Go to the main page of the Wiki. Navigate to Recent Changes or My Contributions.
The "recent changes" link can be found in the left-hand menu, under the Navigation section.
The "my contributions" link can be found in the top-right user menu.

RECENT CHANGES: Locate your file and click the file name. Proceed with Step 3 from the previous post.
This page shows the most recent modifications made to the Wiki, including file uploads, page edits, and other user changes.
This page is organized by date with headers marking each date. If you've made changes in the last day or two, you should be able to find your file easily.

MY CONTRIBUTIONS: Locate your file and click the file name. Proceed with Step 3 from the previous post.
This page shows only the most recent modifications to Wiki made by you, including file uploads and page edits.
This page is also organized by date, though without headers. Nevertheless, your file should still be easy to find.

That concludes this tutorial. If there are any corrections or questions, please PM me. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ