Any good guides to all the BBcode that can be used?

Started by Arander, December 03, 2009, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arander

So I'm looking to spruce up my Ons & Offs page a little, and I really like what some people have done with theirs. All kinds of pictures, lists of characters and the games their playing in along with images of them. I'm trying work on it a bit by trial and error, but it just doesn't seem to look as good as I'd like it.

I was wondering if there might be a list or some sort of guide to all the code and tags that are available for our use. I've been able to do some searching for the standard stuff available all across the net, but is there other items that aren't as common that have been implemented here?
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's

Caeli

The forums have a BBCode list in their help section.

I don't know which ONs & OFFs you're looking at, but I'll take a guess as to how they're formatted. Some of it may come from text wrapping around images, using the two float tags:

[float=right][/float]
[float=left][/float]

Also, a lot of the formatting is done by using the tables, which you can see in the link I provided. I also use them in various stickies in the public boards, as well as (most recently) in this thread.

I'm actually currently working on creating a forum guide and FAQ, with one of the sections specifically for BBCode and formatting. If you have any questions, you're welcome to contact me or post your inquiries here. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Arander

Thanks that helped a decent amount.

I saw a few other posts where you mentioned the floatright tags and such, but it didn't really work well for what I had in minds. Tables made it look close enough to what I'd wanted so I took that route. Getting a 4 column table with text and pictures intermixed didn't really line up on my screen sadly. But at least the table code helped spruce the place up a little.  Thanks again!
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's

Oreo

You can also hit the quote tab an have a look-see at the codes first hand ;)

I found this site very helpful for creating tables: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Arander

Oh really? I never really thought of that. That would give me an idea of how people do some of the cool stuff in their ons & offs. Thanks for the tip I'll look into that.

On's & Off's

Will

Just remember that some people put a LOT of time into their Ons & Offs, and if you're going to use their coding, you should probably mention them and give credit.  I believe I've noticed one or two people actually locking their thread, so that people can't quote them and eyeball their code.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Arander

I hadn't planned on actually using someone's code exactly as they used it, rather more getting ideas of how they'd make theirs like it was. I'll be sure to PM people though if I decide to use something exactly like the did. As you said, they put in the work first to get it looking like that and would want to give them some type of credit.

On's & Off's

Caeli

Quote from: Ghost of Will Yet to Come on December 05, 2009, 10:08:58 AM
Just remember that some people put a LOT of time into their Ons & Offs, and if you're going to use their coding, you should probably mention them and give credit.  I believe I've noticed one or two people actually locking their thread, so that people can't quote them and eyeball their code.

Happened to me five times. :P

And if people quote the post, they don't eyeball the code, they usually steal and modify.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oreo

I just needed to see how tables worked and stuff like that. Most of it I learned by playing with the code. It never dawned on me to even consider copying the code. <.< Mine took me a couple of weeks to create, but I'm the sharing sort, stare away...*cough* but not many would want to copy mine, I'm thinking.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Arander

Yea at this point I'm fairly satisfied with mine. Sure I could do a lot more if I really wanted too I suppose, but it certainly works well for the moment. I think what I'll do in the future is just PM someone if I see something I like in their ons & offs and just inquire how they went about doing it. I don't want to take someones hard work and use it on my own, but would enjoy picking their brains and using the knowledge they've acquired to make my own skills a bit better.

On's & Off's