WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Come on, that I know  ;D

I'm wondering about the numbers in relation to the Space Wolves army...

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on July 30, 2016, 03:53:23 PM
Come on, that I know  ;D

I'm wondering about the numbers in relation to the Space Wolves army...

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Quote from: Doomsday on July 29, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Lemme try to remember my lists off the top of my head... First round I'm running 2 Grey Hunter squads, Bjorn the Fell-Handed, Wulfen and some Long Fangs.

Okay, so breaking it down.

A grey hunter squad is probably about 8-10 models. Maybe in rhinos.

Bjorn is a solo dreadnought

Long Fangs, probably a squad of 5

Call it roughly 25 models, there.

Second round I'm adding a Wolf Lord, another Long Fang in the previous unit, and a drop pod for Bjorn.

Wolf Lord could be a solo. If he's thunderwolf cavalry, he could have a pack of Fenrisian wolves with him for extra attacks / ablative wounds.

Another 5 long fangs, and a transport for Bjorn.

At least half a dozen more models, potentially twice that.

Last round I'm adding Murderfang and another Wulfen for the previous unit.

Murderfang I think is another dreadnought.

Not sure how many Wulfen in a unit. If they're expensive, probably 3-6. If they're not, 5-10

All up, call it 40-50 models.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AngelsSonata

Murderfang is a single model, same as Bjorn but not a HQ choice.

Wulfen start off as a unit of five, though they're 30 points each, adding another 50 if you want a leader. Not to mention the extra options for the unit.

Doomsday

The GH squads were 5 models each, so my first round I had 20 models I think? 10 GH,4 LF, 1 Bjorn, 5 Wulfen.

Beorning

Oh, so those Space Wolves units are quite point-worthy... I did some quick planning with the Dark Eldar. Let's say you make a party of 31 models (1 Succubus + 20 Wyches + 3 Grotesques + 3 Reavers + 3 Mandrakes + 1 Talos). It would still cost only about 550 points...

Beorning

Okay, so if I may ask, as I don't know it yet - how long can a WH40K game last, on average? Five rounds? Ten rounds? Twenty?

HairyHeretic

On average about 5 or 6 rounds I would say.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Just wondering: isn't it a bit short? I have yet to to play the game, but it seems to be that a battle of 5 turns might be... unsatisfying.

AngelsSonata

Really depends on the size of the game. On average a game between two players lasts around two hours, give or take.

Beorning

I see. And what's the typical size of the game board?

Also, do you guys use a lot of terrain? Or do you just put your armies on some flat surface?

AngelsSonata

Generally the gaming surface is a 6 foot by 4 foot gaming table. Games Workshop released a gaming board that fits the size. Some people use a lot of scenery, when I play against my friends we have a few pieces on the board, but don't go crazy.

TheGlyphstone

5 rounds is longer than it sounds when a turn takes anywhere from ten to twenty minutes per side, getting longer when an army is larger.

Doomsday

In my experience, among newer players, 5 rounds can easily be 3 hours.

Beorning

I see. Hmm.

Okay, here's a different question! A possibly weird one:

What colours do you paint your vehicles: normal ones or metallic ones?

I'm asking, as I have this Exorcist I'd like to assemble. I'm wondering, though: should I give it some sort of paint job? Or just paint it with metallic paints and present it as a big honking pile of shiny raw metal? What's your opinion?

Oniya

The shinier a piece of military equipment is, the less action it has seen.  Remember, this is a battle-tank.  Grunging it up a little will make it look like it's ready to get down and kick some heretical butt.   Maybe a wash to bring out the details, maybe a little brownish-red smear here and there near the treads or on the tapered bit in front, like you went over a line of Slaanesh on your way to the combat...  If anything is remotely shiny, it would be the pipe-organ assemblage (and I'd go brass instead of silver).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

CountessJess

The Exorcist itself doesn't have that many shiny bits, honestly. Ok, it's a pretty shiny model, but it's less of an issue outside of that badly sculpted organ. When I was painting mine I found that yeah, you want gilded areas around the front and side murals, and some of the keyboard area, but what gave more trouble was painting the figures in the murals itself (painting surfaces a flat, consistent white is hard, harder than getting a consistent metallic layer).

But honestly, if you layer (and thin) your paints even the gilded areas aren't that obnoxiously shiny. Try going brown -> brass -> gold for a more muted look that'll go better with the rest of your model. You can even go for bone -> white for the pipe organs if you don't like the shiny stuff that much, so that it looks more like ivory than metal, and layering on white after the bone means that it'll be a different colour from all those purity seals. IMHO with the Exorcist sculpt, particularly with the organ piece, the model isn't detailed enough for you to wash and give the metallic layer some depth with false shadows, which makes it look worse than usual if you go full on brass on black. That's why if you look at a lot of GW's own models of Exorcists they tone down the metallics heavily and paint on their own shadows.

Additionally, the Exorcist isn't a battle-tank. You don't want to be running this up in the front lines without a screen of sisters, this isn't a Leman Russ Demolisher. Sure, if you want to paint dirt and grime on the front or have a dead heretic smeared across the dozer blade or something, go ahead, but on tabletop please hide it behind your sisters and fire from 48". That F 13 is deceptively weak.

Beorning

Personally, I don't necessarily equate metallic with polished and shiny look. When I was painting my Penitent Engine, I went all-metallic on it and it didn't turn out as polished. More like a honking big, crude piece of oily machinery :)

My current plan for the Exorcist is: some normal colour (deep red, probably?) for the main body, silver for the organ pipes, silver and gold for the murals (I don't like the idea of them being white... I think I'll play it as decorative pieces fully made of precious metals). I'll also make the threads bronze and brass, with some heavy washing to make it look dirty.

Anyway, it seems like a fun model, but there's a lot of painting to do. I feel I'll be assembling it for the next three months or so...

Beorning

So, I spent the last three hours painting... Which was cool and I'm quite pleased with the results. But where I start glueing the mini, I... uh... had a misadventure.

Basically, my glue bottle got glued together and the glue dropper on the top became inaccessible. Kind of annoyed, I simply removed the top of the bottle and tried applying the glue with a stick...

After a short moment, my eyes started itching and started getting coughy...

Scared, I took a few more second to glue the mini together and then I closed the bottle and removed from the room. I opened the window and let some fresh air in... I hope it's enough and I didn't end up hurting myself.  :-(

Be warned: superglue really is dangerous!  :o

HairyHeretic

Superglue also sets off the bomb sniffers at airports.

Yes, this comes from personal experience ;) (or at least down to another member of the group that was travelling)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

Fun-fact:  The forensic practice of super-glue fuming was developed after workers at a super-glue plant noticed that items handled with bare hands would sometimes develop cloudy regions after traveling through the fumes.  These turned out to be caused by the acrylate reacting with the oils left behind on the surfaces and hardening.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beorning

Hmm. Fumes... hardening.

As I said, my eyes got itchy. Does it mean that I now have the acrylate fumes hardened in my eyes?  ::)

Beorning

Anyway! The results from yesterday's painting:

Heavy Flamer Sister. Not on a proper base yet, due to the... glue misadventure, but otherwise, I'm quite satisfied.

3 hours of painting, BTW. So, if I keep painting every weekend, I might have my army finished somewhere around 2017  :P

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on August 03, 2016, 04:24:23 AM
Hmm. Fumes... hardening.

As I said, my eyes got itchy. Does it mean that I now have the acrylate fumes hardened in my eyes?  ::)

Trust me, if that happened, you'd know as soon as you blinked.  You know the warning about 'bonds skin instantly?'  Right.

The 'itchy' was more likely to be the same thing as when you're in a smoky area and your eyes itch.

HairyHeretic

If you're worried about glue fumes, just keep the area you're working in ventilated .. open a window or door or something and you ought to be fine.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

You're probably right, but I'm not going to repeat this little experiment :) I just need to buy a new glue bottle, that's all.

Anyway, how do you like the mini? 9 models done, 29 to go!

These 38 models translate into a (roughly) 1000-point army, BTW.