News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Eberron Bepop (3.5 edition DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 10, 2013, 05:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

:)  Cool cool, so who would have someone in the armies of sharn been fighitng against?  Was it a massive freeforall?  Or were there confused alliances where you could sometimes hope to find some countries with you and others against you? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Okay, wow!  Moonspeaker is nice!  Is there any way to give a cleric of Dol Arrah Knowlege: Nature as a class skill? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Zaer, you said no flaws.  Would it be permissible to take a Trait? 

http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Versatile_(3.5e_Trait)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on September 13, 2013, 12:35:31 PM
Okay, wow!  Moonspeaker is nice!  Is there any way to give a cleric of Dol Arrah Knowlege: Nature as a class skill?

You can take Cloistered Cleric for knowledge domain and that domain gives all knowledge skills as class skill for you. Or as I suggested via feat you can get 4 skills added as 'forever class skill' category.

Quote from: Muse on September 13, 2013, 01:11:25 PM
Zaer, you said no flaws.  Would it be permissible to take a Trait? 

http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Versatile_(3.5e_Trait)

No traits.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Muse on September 13, 2013, 12:35:31 PM

Cloistered Cleric's free Knowledge domain would cover it, or instead of worshipping Dol Arrah specifically, you could worship the Sovereign Host as a whole and pick up the Plant and/or Animal domains.  If you take the latter option, the Animal domain would also allow you to qualify for Spontaneous Summoner, which would let you get a little more use out of those class features centered around Summon Nature's Ally spells. ^^

As for getting more information on the course of the Last War, Breland shared borders with Darguun, Cyre, Thrane, and Aundair, so those were the main enemies that Brelish troops would have fought during the War.  Breland also shares a border with the Eldeen Reaches, but as Zaer said, the Reaches mostly kept to themselves after declaring independence from Aundair during the War, so there wouldn't have been much more than the occasional border skirmish with them.

The Forge of War is the supplement book for the Last War, and Five Nations should also give you some good insight for playing a Brelish character, if you want to look into it a little more on your own.

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 12, 2013, 09:56:41 PM
I think I'd probably try to avoid working Windwright Captain into a gish build, myself. ^^; As-written, it really works much better with just a straight Bard entry.

Yeah, but I don't like Bards lol. Now, a Beguiler, on the other hand, you might have a point on, but the lost caster levels punish them a lot harder than Duskblades or Bards.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 13, 2013, 05:44:16 AM
Yeah, quite bit starved :P. You have 4 feats, and that's why I suggested dragonmark heir so you get lesser dragonmark (requirement for windwright captain) for free. So you have 3 feats to play with gish build wise.

That would cost me too much Duskblade casting. With two levels lost from Windwright Captain and one from a Spellthief dip, any more lost caster levels and I wouldn't be able to get 5th-level spells by 20 (admittedly, there's no way this campaign will last that long, but to me, it's a pretty good benchmark to evaluate where "too much" is).

Quote from: lockepick on September 13, 2013, 09:55:43 AM
@Rhaegar: If you'd like - I'll play the pilot as a Bard. Dropping the main 'toolbox' idea. If you want to play the pilot, feel free. I just felt bad that you seemed forced into it after having a more concrete idea; where I don't really have a concrete idea. Easier for me to force into a mold. Let me know: Your pick here.

I would greatly appreciate that. However, there are ways to keep the toolbox appeal and qualify for Windwright Captain by 8th. Like I said, Spellthieves qualify naturally, and they're pretty much just Rogues that trade in some of their sneak attack damage for a little spellcasting and the cool-if-not-hugely-useful Steal Spell feature. Plus, the Craven feat and a Swordsage dip at 9 can more than make up for the lost Sneak Attack damage.

A Half-Elf Spellthief 5/Thug-variant Fighter 2/Windwright Captain 1/Swordsage 1 with Able Learner, Least Dragonmark, Lesser Dragonmark, Craven, Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Swordsage bonus) and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feats has 4d6+9 sneak attack damage, with four attacks on a full attack. Plus, Able Learner makes his Spellthief class skills effectively class skills for all of his classes (though he'll lose two skill points per level on the two levels of Fighter). Admittedly, it's a bit less impressive before 9, with only 2d6+9 sneak attack and no fourth attack from ITWF, but it's only one level-up away, and a straight Rogue wouldn't have ITWF before 9th anyway.

EDIT: Zaer, I'm rereading some of the Eberron books to work out the gory details now, but at first glance, do you see any problems with my character being a member of House Lyrandar that gave up his position within the House hierarchy to fight in the war? That would give him an easy in-road to the group; he could be closely related to the pilot.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  You know, looking over the Windwright Captain prestige class now, it looks like you only actually get a ship out of it from the second level of the class, rather than the first.  So, our pilot would need two levels in the class, rather than just one...

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 13, 2013, 04:09:26 PM
Hmm.  You know, looking over the Windwright Captain prestige class now, it looks like you only actually get a ship out of it from the second level of the class, rather than the first.  So, our pilot would need two levels in the class, rather than just one...

Not possible. You can't have 10 ranks in any skill before 7th level, which means with 8th-level starting characters you could at most have one level of Windwright Captain.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Kunoichi

In that case, I don't really see why the pilot needs a level in Windwright Captain at all.  The ship is basically going to be a plot device anyway, and you only actually need the Lesser Mark of Storm and the appropriate class skills to pilot it, not any actual levels in the class, so...

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 13, 2013, 04:09:26 PM

And if you paid attention I said I give the ship class feature in 1st level instead 2th level to help explain how PC has a airship :P.

Anyways Rhaeger; it's okay for house member to break from hierarchy go participate in the war. However all houses did participate in the Last War one way or another and the so much agreed 'diplomatic immunity' in battlefield was bullshit in reality. If house of Healing cured Breland troops, the Karrnath did not hesitate charge the dragonmarked healers despite there was supposed to be protection for them. So, there is no need break from house hierarchy to participate in Last War. But if you wanted go 'fight for my country' approach, then you had to break out so your not counted as part of ancient treaty which prevents dragonmark house members entering military service or marry to nobles etc. But to let a dragonmarked member of the house to do that they would not allow without a god damn good reason (as every mark manifesting member is valuable to the house).

Anyways overall war wise it was everyone vs everyone but most battles happened in Cyre's soil and so Cyre was pretty much grinded slowly smaller until Mourning happened.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 13, 2013, 04:35:56 PM
And if you paid attention I said I give the ship class feature in 1st level instead 2th level to help explain how PC has a airship :P.

When and where, exactly? ^^; I can't find it in the first post, and I clearly missed it whenever you said it the first time.

Rhaegar14

Yeah, given that the Knights Arcane are a well-known part of the Aundairian(?) military, he would no longer be part of his house. I wasn't going to present him as a Dragonmarked character; even if I liked the idea of that (I don't, he's no longer directly a part of his House) I don't have the extra feats to sink into it on a gish build hahaha. In fact, he may have even joined the Knights Arcane under an assumed surname, since the Houses value their presumed neutrality.

Nitpick on the naming convention; wouldn't the pilot's last name be d'Lyrandar, not ir'Lyrandar? The ir' prefix is reserved for long-standing royal families and families that were recently granted title. Characters who are related by blood to the Dragonmarked houses (such as any character with an actual Dragonmark) use the d' prefix.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 13, 2013, 04:51:19 PM
When and where, exactly? ^^; I can't find it in the first post, and I clearly missed it whenever you said it the first time.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 11, 2013, 11:35:07 AM
(and preferably with level Windwright Captain PrC for obvious reasons for the 2th level feature which I allow have come in 1st level instead).

I refered for the freebie airship with the '2th level feature' naturally.

Rhaegar14: Aye, my bad. I kind of mixed meaning of ir' and d'. So pilot's last name would be d'Lyrandar. Anyways your char concept is okay and also that he uses different surname.

Kunoichi

Oh. ><; So that's where it was.  My bad, then.

Lockepick

I apologize for being so wishy-washy, I keep trying to hammer down ideas. Quick question: Would a Factorum's 'spells' count for the perquisite of "must have 1st level arcane spells/infusions?" for Windwright Captain?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Rhaegar14

By RAW, no, because they're spell-like abilities. Zaer could choose to allow it anyway, though.

Zaer Darkwail

Factotum 'spells' are spell-alike abilities. However I would allow a warlock to become windwright captain so factotum qualifies so long they can progress their spellcasting via a PrC (meaning if PrC progress casting, factotum gets more spell-alike spells). But if factotum spell progression is strictly to their class only, then you need one level dip to some other class to get in to be windwright captain.

Lockepick

Hmm, I don't think it fits that criteria, no. Probably going to go Bard.

Thoughts on 'Words of Creation?'
Re-read your 'allowed' list. Sorry!

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Rhaegar14

Oh God yes. Combine with Song of the Heart and Dragonfire Inspiration for endless amounts of win.

Kunoichi

Plus there are a few other spells and magic items that can pump up Inspire Courage, too. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, no Words of Creation but the Song of the Heart (Eberron feat) + Dragonfire Inspiration (dragon magic or was it races of dragon?) to get nice cheese going on.

Anyways bard is good toolbox and one full marshal and one partial marshal can cover basic boosting (not sure does traditional inspire courage stacks with marshal aura but the dragonfire inspiration replaces normal bonus with raw dmg). But overall bard spell list can be very dandy.

Rhaegar14

Dragonfire Inspiration is Dragon Magic. However, I see a problem. It requires the Dragonblooded subtype, and subraces (such as Forestlord Half-Elves) don't manifest Dragonmarks. Dragonfire Inspiration is without a doubt worth one feat, but I'm not sure if it's worth two (Dragontouched prerequisite).

Zaer Darkwail

Vandros Derram is brassbrow human and that subtype yields dragonblood. Also so far as I know having dragon's blood in your veins is not obstacle to manifest a dragonmark (Vol example was a full elf half-dragon and manifested Mark of Death). So you can be Forestlord half-elf although problem is to fit the subtype lore to Eberron setting. A somekind distant ancient ancestry is possible, traits of forestlord may be mystery to you and your parents etc. As overall the subtype details are subtle differences and only noticable one is able to blend into tree and exit from another tree from short distance (it can be easily qualify for rumors of frolicking with feys than related to ancient pact with green dragon).

Considering Vol's father was a green dragon.....it opens some interesting subplot ideas that your ancestors were elves from Vol clan who later married humans and made half-elves who carried ancient pact with them. Or something similar but overall the ancient elven nation x dragons do not normally mix as they consider each other enemies (they grouped together only wipe out House of Death because Vol was viewed as dangerous abomination by both sides and it irony brought lasting cease fire).

Lockepick

If you're comfortable with me playing a 'Forest-lord half-elf' for the Pilot -- I might take you up on that. I kind of like the idea of somebody so equipped to work in nature deciding he wants to be an airship pilot...

Inspire Courage is a Morale boost, and I don't think multiple Morale boosts stack. Not sure what kind of bonuses Marshals cram out.

kckolbe

Attune Magic Weapon is a good feat.  What I'm asking, though, is what the group currently doesn't have.  I work a lot better when I know what gaps are left in the group.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread