SkyLancers of Kenterra -- Reworked and Rebooted!

Started by MyttraDW, February 09, 2024, 12:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyttraDW

Hello! Mytty here! I accidentally deleted the original document for my setting called Kenterra, but now I have rewritten and reworked it! And I'm rather proud of how it turned out!

Beyond the setting, The plot of the RP is going to be focused on freelancers in an airship - Skylancers - who will be hired for some minor jobs before something major happens.

I am hoping to have a relatively active game, with chatting going on in a Discord OOC and at least one progress every 1-2 weeks alongside interaction when necessary.

The setting will be posted below! If you are interested, please don't hesitate to post here! If you have questions, ask!

I'm excited~

The Outdated Setting Document!
Kenterra is a world of nature and magic, made under the watchful eye of the Creator. It has only existed as it is for a millennium after since the great war and the exodus, but the people have grown much from their origins.

Aetheric crystals sprout from the ground, and are used for great magitek innovations such as the gun-like cryscasters, airships, and mechanical golems called Teks. These crystals are an asofar infinitely renewable resource, and have advanced Kenterrans far beyond when they arrived on the continent on sailing ships.

The Creator is the major deity of Kenterra, Lord of the Skyrealm and Shepherd of the Underrealm. Beneath him are the Astrals and the Umbrals, the denizens of the Skyrealm and Underrealm respectively. These are beings of pure energies, though they can solidify upon the mortal realm if necessary.

Three magical energies flow through the continent – Primal, Aether, and Anima.
Primal: The magic of instinct. Spells of the destruction school use Primal – causing great damage.
Aether: The magic of mind. Spells of the evocation school use aether – summoning artificial, summoned minions and weapons.
Anima: The magic of emotion. Utilized by the restoration school of magic, Anima can heal mortal bodies.

Weaving is the general term for the act of using ambient magical energy to weave magical effects of various kinds. The three energies are a self-renewing resource, though as more and more spells are woven in an area, their potency will gradually diminish as there is gradually less energy to use. Some Kenterrans may be born with an internal reservoir of energy they can use, though this leaves them unable to weave in the traditional sense. Scholars have long held that, as the spells are not crafted of energy from Kenterra, what they do is not weaving. The art these Kenterrans utilize has thus been given the name of Invoking.

The races of Kenterra are:
Humans:
Lunhirde: Bipedal, furred humanoids with digitigrade legs, tall ears atop their head, and long fluffy tails. They are attuned to the natural world, being natives of the continent before the Humans and Edra arrived from the Olden Lands. Their bodies are strong and agile.
Halirde: The result of a coupling between a Lunhirde and a Human, these halfbreeds are mostly humanoid in their form – though they have the ears and tail of their lunhirdan blood.

Edra: The Edra is a species of two sides. The Edra as a whole are humanoid in form, though their skin colors are inhuman and they have horns that humans do not. The Edra came from the Olden Lands alongside the humans.
Cedra: Cerulean-skinned Edra with a greater connection to the Astrals.
Sedra: Scarlet-skinned Edra with a greater connection to the Umberals.
Haedra: The name of halfbreed Edra, their horns smaller and their skin lighter shades of blue or red.

The Olden Lands is known as the birthplace of civilization, though in the present very few call it home. There is only one city – found on the coast – from which expeditions are sent into the scarred wilds which are dotted with ruins. The Dark Sand is the only active remnant of the great war and the cause of the exodus. A powerful force that can make Lost out of kenterrans, and form into great beasts of destruction.

The Kingdom of Loran is the oldest nation of the continent and includes the peninsula where humans and Edra first landed during the exodus. The royal bloodline of Loran is descended from the Old King Loran, who was one of two leaders of the Exodite Kenterrans. Loran, a human founded the kingdom together with Gyox, an Edra, and the chief of the Lunhirde Clans, Tereil. It was the capstone to a long era of fighting against the native creatures and growing camaraderie between the races.

The Gyoxian Empire was formed not long after Loran. Gyox, the first emperor, split from Loran to create a land where one could be who they wanted to be. Despite leading the exodites with Loran, the Edra did not agree with the laws Loran laid out. Unfortunately, this message got corrupted over the years – the latest emperor, Jeral, only took the seat from Xerin after a long rebellion against the dictator. Since then, he has been working hard to raise the people’s trust once more.

Tereil, a Republic, was originally half of the Lunhirde clan’s territory. The clan leader who it is named after was one of the founders of Loran, but came to see issues with letting one mortal hold all the power. The people hold the power of who leads, and these leaders are subject to oversight by one another.

Glimuth is run by council and used to be the other half of the Lunhirdian territories. It was founded by a rival clan leader to Tereil, who held similar ideals but couldn’t bring himself to bend the knee to him. In the present, Glimuth is often seen as a bastion of intelligence due to the past association with Eldrash. 

The City-State of Eldrash used to be part of Glimuth. After the corruption incident, where a sample of the Dark Sand was stolen and released by a power-mad representative, the massive academy city broke away.  It is separated into five districts: Opal, Obsidian, Amber, Pearl, and Central. The central district is home to the academy and the council that runs both the academy and the city itself. The academy is a major place of learning and progress where anyone who wants to can join, learning what they desire. They are a major driving force in the advancement of all forms – magic and crystek.

Mount Tael, the tallest peak of Kenterra, is the home of the Pandrylyr, a species of beast also known as the Dragonwolves. These intelligent creatures, large enough to use as mounts, nest/den near the tip of the mountain and are rarely seen. However, a rare happening known as a pairing can occur, where a pandrylyr pup and a child meet each other in a chance encounter, becoming bonded for life. They gain a mental connection between them, with which they can communicate. Once the Pandylyr is large enough, they can be ridden as a flying mount. At the base of Mount Tael is the home of the Taelesol, dragoons who serve no nation. They are meant to protect the balance of Kenterra alongside their pandrylyr. Most Taelesol wander the land, helping those in need.

Skylancers are mercenary crews, freelancers with an airship. To be a true skylancer one must be recognized and registered with the guild, who has bases at every major port within the nations. Skylancers run the gamut of personality and temperament, but in general they are law-abiding and able to do things soldiers cannot. Sky Pirates are those who run outside the guild, usually doing less savory activities.

The Blazers are a relatively unknown order. To be a blazer is to have a soul weapon, a powerful piece of equipment that they can summon which also holds powerful, unique abilities. Some Kenterrans are born with an ember inside them, an ember which may spark during a moment of extreme emotion. This sparked ember will most often be searched out by an experienced Blazer who will become their mentor. The ember will learn from the Blazer until they come of age, at which point they will go out on their own, searching for their purpose. They wander the land, following the calling in their soul and utilizing their unique abilities.

Gardsorm

The rebuilt information looks quite good, and there looks like a few more things and details not present in the original. Since this seems to be a rework/reboot, I'll be returning with my character! I'll probably adjust my character a bit to account for the new information. : )

Xurtan

So what's the character creation or sheet look like for this? Contemplating it

MyttraDW

Quote from: Xurtan on February 10, 2024, 12:14:49 PMSo what's the character creation or sheet look like for this? Contemplating it
Hello! This isn't a system game, so the character sheet is purely narrative. The minimum will be something like a picture, a name and some personal details. Personality, history, and other things will be likely optional

MyttraDW

So as an example, I'll post a sheet for the captain! Feel free to work on a sheet if you want to!

Name: Rune
Race: Lunhirde
Station: Captain of the Skystreak
Nation of Origin: Eldrash
Skills: Agility, Unarmed Combat, Marksmanship, Negotiation, Leadership, Knife and Sword Combat, Crystal Engineering/Assorted Ship-based skills

Personality: Rune is a fun-loving sort of captain, young for her station but surprisingly (as other captains have put it) competent for her age. She respects her crew and those who deserve it -- until they disrespect her or her crew. She doesn't interfere in smaller personal disagreements, but she won't brook anything that will endanger the peace of her ship.

History: Rune's past is not something she talks much about, mostly because she doesn't remember anything before she was found as a child on the streets of Eldrash by the original captain of the Skystreak, Harvon Shodura. The human brought her onto his ship, eventually truly adopting her as his daughter. She was taught to defend herself, how to lead, and every inch of the Skystreak -- inside and out.

Once she had come of age, her father (as she knew him) let her begin to join his crew on his missions as a SkyLancer. Though at first she was left in smaller support positions, Rune quickly proved her abilities. Her skill with a rifle and bladed weapons were the pride of her father, but her agility and her ability to defend herself without a weapon surprised even him when she chased down and knocked out a notorious pirate captain through the streets of a Tereilian city. 

When it came time for Harvon to retire, there was no doubt that he was going to hand down the ship to his adopted daughter. However, it came with the caveat that the majority of the Skystreak's crew was leaving as well. Left with only a few worker-teks to help her run the ship, she was left to find her own crew and create her own story...

Grizzly

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Raven Rawne

I'm intrigued, and started to assemble a character. Something completely different from my usual cast, too. Although for once I might not make them a team medic/healer. Dunno yet. Need to choose a profession yet.

MyttraDW

Quote from: Raven Rawne on February 13, 2024, 02:17:14 AMI'm intrigued, and started to assemble a character. Something completely different from my usual cast, too. Although for once I might not make them a team medic/healer. Dunno yet. Need to choose a profession yet.
Whatever you want to do should be fine! I'll be sending you a PM with the Discord link soon! :)

Spynmaster

So I saw this and my brain immediately went to the vibe of wingsuits, gliders, grappling hooks & wires, and ziplines being used. Is any of that possible?

MyttraDW

Quote from: Spynmaster on February 14, 2024, 12:01:35 AMSo I saw this and my brain immediately went to the vibe of wingsuits, gliders, grappling hooks & wires, and ziplines being used. Is any of that possible?
I think that would be possible to some point, yeah. The specifics can be discussed but mobility between ships and such would be important 

Spynmaster

Quote from: MyttraDW on February 14, 2024, 04:27:46 AMI think that would be possible to some point, yeah. The specifics can be discussed but mobility between ships and such would be important
Neat! Also I forgot about rocket packs.

MetaAugustus

Planting my flag of interest here will work on a sheet after work but the world and set up look fantastic 

MyttraDW

Quote from: MetaAugustus on February 15, 2024, 11:01:31 AMPlanting my flag of interest here will work on a sheet after work but the world and set up look fantastic
I probably should have been saying this with everyone, but I'll be sending you the Discord link! :D

Rashol

If you will have me. I'll try not to flake out this time.

MyttraDW

Hello! Mytty again, looking to see if anyone else might be interested in an RP within my setting, Kenterra. It has gone through some changes from the original post in this thread, as well as been expanded with more information. We're not very far in the story and are close to a perfect time to join! The story follows a skyship and her crew, who will soon be pulled into a plot larger than they expect.

The OOC is held in Discord, which I will PM you a link to it should you wish to join. There is no game system in place or anything such as that. See below for a new overview of the world! And if you have any questions, let me know!

Kenterra is a fantasy setting based around crystal-powered technology (crystech), with a number of inspirations.  The general tech level is that of a steampunk/medieval fantasy, though some technologies exist beyond that (such as labor-based robots)

There are five/six main races: Humans, Edra (Red- or Blue-skinned horned humanoids with a greater connection to the other parts of the cycle of souls. Lunhirde, animal anthros with strong instincts. Aeteron, strong, green-skinned beings connected to the magic energy of the world (aether). And the Tael, Natives of the tallest mountain on the Continent.