News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

making tables that have borders

Started by steelsmiter, July 06, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

I want to draw a table for a game where I will be sending a fake email to some members of the group. I figured how to get the rows and whatnot to line up correctly, but do not know how to add in lines, any help on the subject would be much appreciated.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Oniya

The coding for tables in BBCode is very similar to the coding for tables in HTML.  I'm not sure if it's completely identical, but you might try using the examples on this page replacing the pointy brackets with square ones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

steelsmiter

the standard HTML tags don't work when you change the brackets... you just get all this weird junk at the top that says either:

[table border] or [table border=1]
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Amelita

I don't think Elliquiy BBCode has that option. If you look at this topic, part 7 about tables and more:
QuoteInsert Table - This code allows you to set up a table with BBCode. No attributes can be specified.

using the hr tag inside a table cell can help if you wish to divide them visually but that of course only works horizontally.

[table]
[tr]
[td]cell one[hr][/td][td]cell two[hr][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]cell three[/td][td]cell four[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

cell one
cell two
cell threecell four

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

steelsmiter

Quote from: Amelita on July 06, 2013, 05:58:46 PM
I don't think Elliquiy BBCode has that option. If you look at this topic, part 7 about tables and more:
using the hr tag inside a table cell can help if you wish to divide them visually but that of course only works horizontally.

[table]
[tr]
[td]cell one[hr][/td][td]cell two[hr][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]cell three[/td][td]cell four[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

cell one
cell two
cell threecell four
alright, this , in conjunction with | would be something like what I'm looking for... I'm thinkin it's probably as close as ima get.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Oniya

I was thinking about this a little more - you basically want to set apart a certain block of text so that it looks like it's on a 'separate sheet', right?  You could simply use the [ quote ] tag as follows:

QuoteDear Applicant:

We have received your forms, and must say that you look like a very promising candidate.  Please report to the offices of Dewey, Fleesom, and Howe on Wednesday at 11:30 AM for a personal interview.  Should you meet our requirements, be prepared to provide documentation as to your ability to travel to and work in the city of Kuala Lumpur.

Lorem ipsum
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

steelsmiter

yes I wanted to separate text. I will be using hr for that. in addition to wanting to separate text, the text that is in a table currently looks like a list because there is no line between rows or columns.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Oniya

Ah - so the 'fake email' itself was supposed to have a grid pattern in it.  My mistake.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart

steelsmiter

Oh hey no worries it happens all the time.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Oniya on July 06, 2013, 07:26:08 PM
I was thinking about this a little more - you basically want to set apart a certain block of text so that it looks like it's on a 'separate sheet', right?  You could simply use the [ quote ] tag as follows:
Re the email that the quote didn't quote...

Wasn't it "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe"?  *giggles*  I loved the Three Stooges.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

I've heard it both ways.  I think 'Fleesom' is a little less obvious than Cheatham.  ;D

Branwen

What about using | in front of and after every entry in the cell?

|cell one  |
|cell two|
|cell three||cell four|

[table]
[tr]
[td]|cell one  |[hr][/td][td]|cell two|[hr][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]|cell three|[/td][td]|cell four|[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Peripherie

This gives the table a top and a bottom (though it's not terribly elegant):

|  cell one  |  cell two |
| cell three |  cell four |

[tr][td][hr]|  cell one  |  cell two |[hr][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]| cell three |  cell four |[hr][/td][/tr][/table]

Ya know, back when I made my own silly blogging website and I couldn't get the code to do what I wanted, I just made an image of what I wanted it to look like, in whatever program I have (a combination of paint/word, photoshop, etc.). If I needed something like text to be linkable I would make multiple cut up images and just squish them together to look the one whole image with different links when hovered over with the mouse.

Of course that  might be just way too much work for what you needed, but maybe that suggestion helps a little.

Good luck! :D
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

steelsmiter

Quote from: Branwen on July 07, 2013, 08:05:31 AM
What about using | in front of and after every entry in the cell?

|cell one  |
|cell two|
|cell three||cell four|

[table]
[tr]
[td]|cell one  |[hr][/td][td]|cell two|[hr][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]|cell three|[/td][td]|cell four|[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Can text within cells be right aligned? if so I think I can get the vertical lines to line up.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Branwen

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 07, 2013, 11:23:00 AM
Can text within cells be right aligned? if so I think I can get the vertical lines to line up.
Let's find out!

|
cell one
|
|cell two|

|cell three||cell four|

Oniya

If you put the | characters in their own cell, you can get them to line up.

|
cell one
|
cell two
|
|
cell three
|
cell four
|

Branwen

Quote from: Oniya on July 07, 2013, 12:41:54 PM
If you put the | characters in their own cell, you can get them to line up.

|
cell one
|
cell two
|
|
cell three
|
cell four
|

steelsmiter

after some work I came up with this:

|Starred
|Sender|
|Subject|
|Received|
|Yes
|QuothTheRaven
|Re:Party Invitation
|1 day ago
|No
|ErictheRed
|Re:Party Invitation
|1 day ago
|No
|noreply:Somesuch Electric Company
|Online Billpay Confirmed
|4 days ago
|No
|Some Crazy Cat Lover
|lolcats roflmao!
|1 week ago
|No
|Canadian Pharmacy
|Male Enhancement pills on the cheap!
|1 week ago
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

TaintedAndDelish

You could always do something like this ...

Yeah, its cheating, but so what. :)

steelsmiter

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 09, 2013, 04:13:55 AM
You could always do something like this ...

Yeah, its cheating, but so what. :)
I could but office programs are a B***h on tablets. Screencaps are easy but office programs suck.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

TaintedAndDelish

Another option is the old fashioned extended ascii characters:

┌─┬┐  ╔═╦╗  ╓─╥╖  ╒═╤╕
│ ││  ║ ║║  ║ ║║  │ ││
├─┼┤  ╠═╬╣  ╟─╫╢  ╞═╪╡
└─┴┘  ╚═╩╝  ╙─╨╜  ╘═╧╛

I don't know if this will render correctly on tablets, PDAs or macs.

┌─────────┬─────────┐ 
│ Column 1│ Column2 │ 
├─────────┴─────────┤
│    merged column  │   
└───────────────────┘

The tricky thing about doing this is you need to copy and paste box components and adjust the spacing since the editor on this website illustrates the text with a variable width font. The easiest way to do this would be to draft the table in an editor with a fixed with font ( like notepad ) and then copy and paste it -- adding the TT tag to force it to use a monospaced font.

[tt]
┌─────────┬─────────┐ 
│ Column 1│ Column2 │ 
├─────────┴─────────┤
│    merged column  │   
└───────────────────┘ [/tt]

[tt]┌─┬┐  ╔═╦╗  ╓─╥╖  ╒═╤╕
│ ││  ║ ║║  ║ ║║  │ ││
├─┼┤  ╠═╬╣  ╟─╫╢  ╞═╪╡
└─┴┘  ╚═╩╝  ╙─╨╜  ╘═╧╛[/tt]

I had an app for an android tablet called "Dungeon Sketch" or something like that. It worked very well for making boxes and text from a tablet and let you output the result as an image file. This I believe is it:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbocek.android.combatmap&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50Ym9jZWsuYW5kcm9pZC5jb21iYXRtYXAiXQ..

steelsmiter

The good thing about the ASCII is the corner characters, which I don't really know what go push to get them... I'm satisfied with the result I posted above, but I think I will go ahead and get that Dungeon Sketch thing for other reasons.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Oniya

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 09, 2013, 03:03:13 PM
The good thing about the ASCII is the corner characters, which I don't really know what go push to get them... I'm satisfied with the result I posted above, but I think I will go ahead and get that Dungeon Sketch thing for other reasons.

I cheat and use the Character Map application that comes with Windows.

steelsmiter

lol. Android tablets don't have Windows, but that's ok.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Branwen